• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine |OT| No mercy. No retreat. No remorse.

Phanatic8390 said:
I want to get started reading into some of the 40k universe. I've gotten hooked on the lore from DOW2.

Should I just pick up a chapter omnibus or is there perhaps a better place to start digging into it from?

The Horus Heresy books give a lot of lore, they are also very cheap (on Amazon UK a lot of them are 4GBP each). If you want to read more about the Imperium and the society get Ravenor and Eisenhorn Omnibus.

Castor Krieg said:
The Horus Heresy books give a lot of lore, they are also very cheap (on Amazon UK a lot of them are 4GBP each). If you want to read more about the Imperium and the society get Ravenor and Eisenhorn Omnibus.

Are Horus Rising and False Gods a good place to start? I just found them for 6€ each.

Glass Rebel said:
Are Horus Rising and False Gods a good place to start? I just found them for 6€ each.
Yep, they're the first two books. Along with Galaxy in Flames, the third book, they form a little trilogy of their own.

Salazar

Mithel said:
Orks cannot commit sodomy because they are not mammals; they're a fungus.

There's a quite 40k-ish book, "Grunts" by Mary Gentle, in which orks do terrible things (up to, including, and exceeding sodomy) to elves on the field of battle. Different orks, I guess.

Boogdud

Salazar said:
There's a quite 40k-ish book, "Grunts" by Mary Gentle, in which orks do terrible things (up to, including, and exceeding sodomy) to elves on the field of battle. Different orks, I guess.

That book has absolutely, positively nothing to do with warhammer or warhammer 40k in any way.

Salazar

Boogdud said:
That's like saying 'Aliens' is 40k-ish because they had marines in space...

Well, no. A tale featuring orks with a childlike fascination for modern military hardware, to some extent played for laughs, who battle against other fantastical and human armies qualifies as distinctly 40K-ish.

Good book too, if utterly silly.

The wait is killing me a little. Can we pre-load this sucker ?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
So, my CE edition shipped from the THQ store. Wonder if there's a chance I'll get it tomorrow. Would be so nice if I could play it over the weekend.

daedalius

luxarific said:
So, my CE edition shipped from the THQ store. Wonder if there's a chance I'll get it tomorrow. Would be so nice if I could play it over the weekend.

Oh wow they are shipping the CEs already? Nice, would love to get mine early, lol.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Lostconfused said:
This isn't even the worst part. The long weekend is right before the game comes out, it's going to be maddening.

This. Even though I have plans I would've still made time to give it a thorough play through.

derFeef

Boogdud said:
My one slight disappointment is that we can't play as an Ork in the multi. How awesome would that be?
With relic's track-record of putting out DLC, there is a high possibility that we get something down the line. I understand that it is far more complex than chapter skins for DoW II, but I am having high hopes as the potential seems unlimited with this game.

ironcreed

Banned
Anyone buy Warhammer 40k: Killteam? It is only $10.00 on PSN and you get a chainsword for Space Marine when you complete it. It looks like fun for how short it is, so I think I may go ahead and buy it later on in order to set the tone for this next week.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
daedalius said:
Oh wow they are shipping the CEs already? Nice, would love to get mine early, lol.

No tracking on it, which I'm kind of bummed about (it's an $80 item - there should be tracking).

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Salazar said:
There are some goddamn sweet books due in 2012. I do hope the game gives the fiction a bump.

I expect to see a novel or two based on Capt. Titus. and co.

ironcreed said:
Anyone buy Warhammer 40k: Killteam? It is only $10.00 on PSN and you get a chainsword for Space Marine when you complete it. It looks like fun for how short it is, so I think I may go ahead and buy it later on in order to set the tone for this next week.

It pisses me off to no end that it's not on PC. On one hand it's not made by Relic and it might be ass but on the other hand it's fucking WH40k :mad:

MDSLKTR

Gaf, I have a glitch in the demo... The whole menu, loading screens and sounds show perfectly but the actual game appears in a little window in the upper left corner of the screen, the rest of the screen is black. Anybody else had that problem? I have a gtx 580 with latest drivers and I tried many different resolutions with no success.

ironcreed

Banned
Glass Rebel said:
It pisses me off to no end that it's not on PC. On one hand it's not made by Relic and it might be ass but on the other hand it's fucking WH40k :mad:

For what it is, I think it looks pretty fun. I'll give the demo a whirl first, but will probably buy it just for the Chainsword for Space Marine, regardless.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Glass Rebel said:

What's worse is that they didn't make it co-op over the internet. I mean, with a game like this, and co-op being so common place now, how could that not be put in?

grendelrt

Glass Rebel said:

Me and my wife played through it, was def worth 10 bucks, lots of fun. Nothing ground breaking, just solid twin stick shooter with pretty good graphics. Being a 40K fan made it really cool though =)

ironcreed

Banned
grendelrt said:
Me and my wife played through it, was def worth 10 bucks, lots of fun. Nothing ground breaking, just solid twin stick shooter with pretty good graphics. Being a 40K fan made it really cool though =)

Nice, thanks for the quick impressions.

daedalius

My wife and I played through Killteam, was a fun twin-stick shooter, not terribly long tho, especially with coop since you can respawn if you actually die ;)

derFeef

grendelrt said:
daedalius said:
My wife and I played through Killteam, was a fun twin-stick shooter, not terribly long tho, especially with coop since you can respawn if you actually die ;)

You guys have awesome wives!

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I cant afford this and Deus Ex Human Revolution this month.

The emperors light guides my hand!.

P.S This is one of the best OTs ive ever seen.
What font did you use??

Twinduct

Glass Rebel said:
Thanks, got the three of them for 18€ total from Amazon :D
Nice we're exactly on the same page, although I'm paying a bit more ... and getting it from a local online retailer :d

Ok so not exactly .... but we're both braving the new world of a 12 book saga!

Twinduct

SirButterstick said:
I'm, trying to read through the Horus Heresy books right now. The first three are awesome.
Nice! .. Mine is only coming on Monday :<
Gives me time to finish A Clash of Kings.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
ironcreed said:

Yeah, I did, and beat it. ;)

Dipswitch

SirButterstick said:
I'm, trying to read through the Horus Heresy books right now. The first three are awesome.

The wife got me reading that series and it took a serious nose dive after the first 3 or 4 IMO. Read six or seven books in, then called it quits.

grendelrt

Dipswitch said:
The wife got me reading that series and it took a serious nose dive after the first 3 or 4 IMO. Read six or seven books in, then called it quits.

You are missing some of the best books in the series. A Thousand Sons and First Heretic are both excellent and pretty much always praised. I really enjoyed Legion as well, but that one seems to be a love it or hate it with people.

legbone

i had fun with it. it's pretty cool when you activate the heavy bolter's special attack and turn hordes of orks to a red mist. visuals are pretty rough though.

ironcreed

Banned
Alienshogun said:
I've played better games for 10 dollars to be honest. Like others said, it's a typical top down shooter.

Good deal, thanks. At the very least it should be a fun enough romp in order to unlock a Powersword for Space Marine.

daedalius

If you play it through once by yourself, and once with your wife... DOUBLE VALUE!

Also, there are survival challenges and achievements.

Jonm1010

Banned
Just played the demo.

Wasnt interested. Never read or played anything warhammer related.

After the demo, I'm pretty much a day one.

I had a blast. It was fun, a little challenging and has the perfect mix of melee and shooting.

Jonm1010

Banned
Also has there been any talk about game length?

That will probably be the ultimate arbiter of whether I buy day one or wait a litte bit for a price drop.

steadfast

Jonm1010 said:
Also has there been any talk about game length?

That will probably be the ultimate arbiter of whether I buy day one or wait a litte bit for a price drop.

10ish hours for SP, Unlimited MP :)

Top Bottom