• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine |OT| No mercy. No retreat. No remorse.

Mupod

Got it preordered, but annoyingly enough after I got my new monitor the demo developed sound crackling/stuttering issues. I'm assuming the jump in resolution from 1680x1050 to 1920x1080 is causing my fairly outdated PC to crap itself, but I do have a dedicated soundcard. Odd.

Moot point anyways as I should have my new system built within a week of release. God damn I wonder what this looks like maxed at 120fps.

Herla

rukland said:
And I call it a bunch of puppies playing at being real marines.

We see people with our hearts, not our eyes
We believe in beauty of the soul, not of the flesh
We believe in individuality, not prejudice
Our souls do not need saving, for they are not in peril
Just because we aren't saints
It doesn't mean we'll burn in hell.

~ Dark Angel's Creed ~

Someone was looking for heretics?
There you go.

will.rees.warhammer.001.jpg

Salazar

ultron87 said:
I wonder if the Chaos Marines in single player will make a good case for being something roughly equal to the Space Marines in terms of durability and combat ability.

They appear to dodge melee attacks with quite some speed. Less speed than the daemons, but it should make them trickier to smash up.

Salazar

So excited for where they can take this if Relic get to make more of these games.

I suspect, a little disappointingly, that they would want to carry on with the UltraMarines. Make a persistent narrative, and all that.

But still.

Gav47

Does anyone know Where is the cheapest place to get the PC Collectors Ed? Amazon are sold out, play.com have it but its €75.

I just love how cynical, violent and over-the-top the WH40K universe is. Nobody has genuinely good or selfless motives, it's nothing but a military world full of violent races that want power.

The cool thing about it though, is how it's a pastiche of all the cultural influences that affected the creators and contributors during their formative years growing up.

The Orks are obviously inspired by English hooliganism and mayhaps the 'Punk' movement that was leading to riots in the streets after Sex Pistol concerts.

The Space Marines represent the UK government at the time, which given the state of the country post WW2, a lot of people looked at as oppressive, self-involved, hell-bent on maintaining control despite a changing world.

Chaos Marines were clearly inspired by look and feel of heavy metal and all the apocrypha that was involved with it at the time.

The Tau are inspired by Communist China.

It's such a cool, varied universe because all these people found a way to take their interests and anxiety and found a way to make them work together.

The Antitype said:
I just love how cynical, violent and over-the-top the WH40K universe is. Nobody has genuinely good or selfless motives, it's nothing but a military world full of violent races that want power.

The cool thing about it though, is how it's a pastiche of all the cultural influences that affected the creators and contributors during their formative years growing up.

The Orks are obviously inspired by English hooliganism and mayhaps the 'Punk' movement that was leading to riots in the streets after Sex Pistol concerts.

The Space Marines represent the UK government at the time, which given the state of the country post WW2, a lot of people looked at as oppressive, self-involved, hell-bent on maintaining control despite a changing world.

Chaos Marines were clearly inspired by look and feel of heavy metal and all the apocrypha that was involved with it at the time.

The Tau are inspired by Communist China.

It's such a cool, varied universe because all these people found a way to take their interests and anxiety and found a way to make them work together.

I agree, it's a varied universe :)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_mjq_bA3rPN0/RjdEYLD9uEI/AAAAAAAAAcI/kraHih5qIns/s400/PREGGO-40K.JPG

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Posted this in the demo thread, but probably get a quicker action here. Want to know before buying the whole game.

Anyone else have the colors get all washed out in the middle part of the game (after blowing up the crane).. they were all crisp before.. then for a good amount of time shit was all washed out.

360 version.

Haven't d/l'd the PC version yet.. I should do that.

Gameplay is nice.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Game seems to have solid game mechanics from the demo. Very brutal and seems challenging. Unfortunately i was bored to death of fighting the green orc enemies (most generic thing ever) and the story, i really have no idea, doesn't seem too interesting.

Game also seems very reminiscent of Gears of War, but Gears has an art style that's far more appealing, at least from the environment perspective. Although its not fair to compare from a demo.

NervousXtian said:
Posted this in the demo thread, but probably get a quicker action here. Want to know before buying the whole game.

Anyone else have the colors get all washed out in the middle part of the game (after blowing up the crane).. they were all crisp before.. then for a good amount of time shit was all washed out.

360 version.

Gameplay is nice.

Same thing happened on PC. I think it's just to make the outdoors look dusty, compared to the more vibrant look when you go indoors.

On PC, are these the graphics options we'll get, or will there be an additional advanced menu? I was going to get this in a box on Amazon. Any chance that gives me a steam copy too?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Class_A_Ninja said:
Same thing happened on PC. I think it's just to make the outdoors look dusty, compared to the more vibrant look when you go indoors.

On PC, are these the graphics options we'll get, or will there be an additional advanced menu? I was going to get this in a box on Amazon. Any chance that gives me a steam copy too?
Game is Steamworks, so the Box might as well be a coaster.

I do wish they would have weaved in the story of the Blood Ravens though instead of the UM (though I play UM myself). Background wise they're just more interesting but I guess the boys in blue are the most recognizable.

The Antitype said:

Aye, also the Orks personality are a straight lift from the fantasy setting, and their nemesis are the dwarfs who are grim, dour and speak with a northern English accent. It was a piss take on the north/south divide in this country.

Sober

~Kinggi~ said:
Game also seems very reminiscent of Gears of War, but Gears has an art style that's far more appealing, at least from the environment perspective. Although its not fair to compare from a demo.
Batten the hatches

So hyped for this game. Lost count of how many times I've played the demo now.

Kinda wishing I'd pre-ordered locally instead of online now. May not have saved ~$35, but the (probably) 2 week delivery wait is going to kill me!

Duffyside

Banned
Ponti said:
This'll be the surprise hit of the year, no doubts.
Bulletstorm.

But yeah, when this game was announced, I was thought this thing was disgusting. Now, I might be Day 1. Hope the reviews are good.

AlStrong

GrayFoxPL said:
Yeah... Something I would finish this decade?

Start reading about the Horus Heresy or Chaos... or the Emperor. :)

Needs to be reiterated: Lexicanum is the best resource.

Leunam said:
No connection has been established by Games Workshop. There are a few things here and there that have minor connections, mostly in name only, but beyond that, they are two separate universes.

Chaos is a decent connection. :p

AEREC

Awesome OT...I got this game preordered on steam and cant wait for it. Ill be out of town when it release though and wont get to play it until the 10th.

deim0s

~Kinggi~ said:

++ OFFICIO ASSASINATORIUM CONTACTED ++

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
NervousXtian said:

360 version.

Gameplay is nice.

It's all the dust and such that gets tossed into the air when you drop the Titan's cannon ontop of the orcs. If you look you'll see that you run directly down into that area when you leave the control room.

derFeef

bigdaddygamebot said:
Alright guys.

The gamertag is...

GAF40K

send a friend request and I'll get the whole thing rolling. Then you can friend of a friend creep in order to find people for multi and eventual co-op.
Thanks! Added to the OT.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Just played the demo on drunk mode. Nothing like gutting a few green skins while tossing back some rum & coke. I actually played better than being sober. 0.o * hickup*

Top Bottom