• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine |OT| No mercy. No retreat. No remorse.

Xater

GrayFoxPL said:
Yeah... Something I would finish this decade?

Leunam already recommended 2 pages and some books. I also recommended some books.

You could also just take a look at the Warhammer 40k rulebook. Besides the tabletop rules it should have the most essential lore. At least back when I was playing it had. I assume that is still the case.

derFeef

Added the multiplayer trailer to the OT, I knew I forgot something ;)
Relic has sadly removed this 5 part insider series from youtube.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Is there anywhere that I can read a summary of what occurred in the many many years between the Warhammer and Warhammer 40k? Like how the races and civilzations in Warhammer evolved into what we have in 40k. I think I read somewhere that by now they've gone back on them being connected and just separated the 2 universes in the lore, but I'm still curious about it.

ultron87

I wonder if the Chaos Marines in single player will make a good case for being something roughly equal to the Space Marines in terms of durability and combat ability. (Not that any servant of the Dark Powers could ever hope to match up to a holy warrior of the Astartes.)

It'd be a nice change of pace from constantly steamrolling through ork hordes that the demo offered.

/\

What they lack in power and dedication, the servants of the dark lords more than make up for in viciousness and deception.

Cannot. Fucking. Wait.

I've been looking forward to a game like this since the first time I played Dawn of War. I've put more hours into the Dawn of War games than I have any other PC game save maybe Quake 3 or Team Fortress 2.

I love the universe, I love Relic's respect for the universe, and I can't wait to be on the ground in the middle of the WH40K carnage.

And I'm going to choose Chaos for multiplayer, EVERY time. :D

Alienups

They shall be my finest warriors,
these men who give of themselves to me.
Like clay I shall mould them,
and in the furnace of war forge them.
They will be of iron will and steely muscle.
In great armour shall I clad them
and with the mightiest guns will they be armed.
They will be untouched by plague or disease,
no sickness will blight them.
They will have tactics, strategies and machines
so that no foe can best them in battle.
They are my bulwark against the Terror.
They are the Defenders of Humanity.
They are my Space Marines
and they shall know no fear.

+ The Emperor of Mankind +

Yobalt

sykoex said:
Is there anywhere that I can read a summary of what occurred in the many many years between the Warhammer and Warhammer 40k? Like how the races and civilzations in Warhammer evolved into what we have in 40k. I think I read somewhere that by now they've gone back on them being connected and just separated the 2 universes in the lore, but I'm still curious about it.
A couple of years ago there was a campaign in Warhammer Fantasy, I don't remember what the campaign was called, but it had special items that were basically ripped out of 40k. There was a powerfist, a flamer and so on. Different names of course.

So the universes are still kinda connected but more like Warhammer Fantasy is happening on a planet somewhere in the 40k universe.

MedIC86

sykoex said:

I'm not really sure, but i was under the impression Fantasy and 40K were two different universes.

Leunam

sykoex said:

No connection has been established by Games Workshop. There are a few things here and there that have minor connections, mostly in name only, but beyond that, they are two separate universes. Some fans like to think that Warhammer is some backwater planet in the 40k galaxy or in the Eye of Terror, but I don't remember any fluff that points to that besides wishful thinking.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Awesomesauce on the |OT|, derFeef. Gonna kill me some green skins, disimbowel some Chaos Marines, and learn how to play the ukulele. Not necessarily in that order though.

For Macragge!!

Xater

MedIC86 said:
I'm not really sure, but i was under the impression Fantasy and 40K were two different universes.

That's because they are.

I also don't quite understand why people are intimidated by the 40k universe. Just jump in into a game and enjoy it. You don't need to know anything to have fun with these games. And if you enjoy the what you see you can start reading up some stuff that you don't understand or read some of the books. Jumping down the rabbit hole ahead of time might be a mistake because that is when you think this is all too much. I didn't start out knowing everything.

derFeef

Xater said:
That's because they are.

I also don't quite understand why people are intimidated by the 40k universe. Just jump in into a game and enjoy it. You don't need to know anything to have fun with these games. And if you enjoy the what you see you can start reading up some stuff that you don't understand or read some of the books. Jumping down the rabbit hole ahead of time might be a mistake because that is when you think this is all too much. I didn't start out knowing everything.
A friend of mine just dislikes "scifi" but he likes the Warhammer stuff (mainly dwarfs). I tell him that 40k is not really scifi and he just goes.... "It is boring, unimaginative stuff". then I roll my eyes and go on. It's not for everyone, I guess.

Keasar

sykoex said:
The Warhammer Fantasy and 40K are two different universes, the Warhammer Fantasy universe plays out in its own world while the 40K is based on our own, 40.000 years into the future (mankind comes from Terra (earth), expands and so forth).

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Xater said:
That's because they are.

Every single 40k thread I've ever read has spawned a lengthy discussion about the universe and backstory. Once the conversation gets going you can't help but be intrigued and overawed.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
SapientWolf said:
Every single 40k thread I've ever read has spawned a lengthy discussion about the universe and backstory. Once the conversation gets going you can't help but be intrigued and overawed.

That's what got me interested in the game. Started reading about the lore after the first pics and videos were posted back in 2009.

By the by, there's a GM store not too far from my house. Went and spoke to a couple of the folks over there and they told me that there was a relation between Warhammer and Warhammer 40k - Warhammer being the precursor to WH40K obviously. However, ever since Games Workshop got the official license to sell and promote Lord of The Rings they split them in two and is making Warhammer it's own entity with no relation to 40k.

Nekrono

Very nice OT, I'm really looking forward to this the only thing that is keeping me from ordering this on Steam right now is impressions regarding the length of the game, if it gets repetitive/boring, and if the MP is fun, but the demo was very good and let me have high hopes for it.

deim0s

Are there any platform specific videos? Thinking about getting this on the PC or on PS3.

For anyone wanting some Chaos Marine love - get the books by Dembski-Bowden, and Graham McNeil's Storm of Iron, they're a solid read.

Nekrono

deim0s said:
Are there any platform specific videos? Thinking about getting this on the PC or on PS3.

For anyone wanting some Chaos Marine love - get the books by Dembski-Bowden, and Graham McNeil's Storm of Iron, they're a solid read.
What are your PC specs? This game seems really well optimized and I think most PC's nowadays could handle it just fine.

derFeef

deim0s said:

DF has a comparison between the console versions.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
deim0s said:

From what I've heard the 360 and PS3 versions are identical. 30fps locked. Someone said they thought the PC version was running at 60fps. But, I cannot confirm this.

Vilix said:
That's what got me interested in the game. Started reading about the lore after the first pics and videos were posted back in 2009.

By the by, there's a GM store not too far from my house. Went and spoke to a couple of the folks over there and they told me that there was a relation between Warhammer and Warhammer 40k - Warhammer being the precursor to WH40K obviously. However, ever since Games Workshop got the official license to sell and promote Lord of The Rings they split them in two and is making Warhammer it's own entity with no relation to 40k.
It actually started to occur before then, with the removal of the squats who were just dwarfs in space, though Black Library publications still show they're connected.

The Liber Chaotica features a Norseman, I think, who dreams about various elements of Chaos in the 40k universe. From older publications we know there is a massive link with the Old Ones, who were an extremely advanced race(s) responsible for helping develop races and interacted with the warp in both Warhammer and 40k.

However much GW decries it now there is a link and most believe the Warhammer planet is within the Eye of Terror in 40k.

Zeth

Coen said:
I have a feeling this will be 2011's Arkham Asylum.
When I put down the demo that's exactly what I was thinking. The gameplay is there IMO. Just hoping there's enough content and variety now.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
SapientWolf said:
Its always fascinating to watch. Based on what I've picked up the creators of the 40k universe said "we're basically going to make this thing as big as we possibly can, fuck it" and then went all out with the ridiculousness. And yet...they fleshed it out to the point that it works

rukland

Mithel said:
I dispute this assertion. Tyranid article on the wikia is twice as long and much more entertaining.

That is only because the nids are the one true race in the galaxy. They will survive long after everyone else is gone.

Hmm my TT army must be taking over me

Vilix said:
From what I've heard the 360 and PS3 versions are identical. 30fps locked. Someone said they thought the PC version was running at 60fps. But, I cannot confirm this.

It's hard to say. I played the 360 and PC demos back to back, and it seemed to me that the PC version ran more smoothly. To my admittedly untrained eye, the difference looked most apparent during that scene with the Servoskull collecting data.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
The_Technomancer said:
Its always fascinating to watch. Based on what I've picked up the creators of the 40k universe said "we're basically going to make this thing as big as we possibly can, fuck it" and then went all out with the ridiculousness. And yet...they fleshed it out to the point that it works

Space zombies? Why the heck not?! :)

Vilix said:

PC demo was running with vsync locked at 60 fps (using fraps).

deim0s

DeathIsTheEnd said:
The Liber Chaotica features a Norseman, I think, who dreams about various elements of Chaos in the 40k universe.

Can't pull out the book (in storage) - Yes, the scribe who wrote the book did see some images of Space Marines (Chaos?) and glimpses of the world of 40k.

@Nekrono
No problem on the PC side, which is my main gaming machine and I'm upgrading soon with a new beefy rig.

I'm just probably more concerned on the number of MP peeps post-launch.

Vilix said:
Space zombies? Why the heck not?! :)

They're called Necrons.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
deim0s said:
They're called Necrons.

Necrons, Space Zombies, Hello Kitty Dick Bubbles, whatever... They all must be destroyed.

Herla

bigdaddygamebot said:
This gentleman would like to explain to you the flaw in the Space Wolves gene seed.

Flaw? I call it evolution.

Blood_Claws_2.jpg

Alright guys.

The gamertag is...

GAF40K

send a friend request and I'll get the whole thing rolling. Then you can friend of a friend creep in order to find people for multi and eventual co-op.

rukland

Herla said:
Flaw? I call it evolution.

And I call it a bunch of puppies playing at being real marines.

We see people with our hearts, not our eyes
We believe in beauty of the soul, not of the flesh
We believe in individuality, not prejudice
Our souls do not need saving, for they are not in peril
Just because we aren't saints
It doesn't mean we'll burn in hell.

~ Dark Angel's Creed ~

Top Bottom