• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vincent Teoh From HDTVTest: The Digital Foundry of Displays / Best TV for Next Gen [VIDEO]

BlackM1st

Banned
Such a weird start of the generation, everyone except LG was caught with their pants down. Only LG CX 48 can work as both big PC monitor/competent tv for gaming.Basically LG met consumer expectations as "high tech small tv for pc and console games > tv for movies"

Also, Asus PG32UQX is MIA and there's nothing comparable.

Fuck.

CthulhuPL

10 minutes and you see that OLED image retention.. just imagine a couple thousand hours of Destiny 2 HUD, super meter, all that... I really want that OLED but I remember my Sammy plasma and the D1 burn in that had, despite pixel shift and a bunch of other samsung stuff that was supposed to stop it.
I have LG B8 since 1,5 year and no burn in. I think it depends how you use an oled however i use it a lot for gaming.

Been meaning to give this guy some more hits, Vincent Teoh is a former Professional Calibrator providing service to home and commercial users to achieve optimal picture quality on TVs and projectors, which is accurate to the standards used within the film and broadcast industry. His level of high detail from ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode) to VRR (Variable Refresh Rate) is a rare gift and skill.

Love Vincent. He's my favorite TV reviewer, and I've purchased two TVs (a 65" OLED, and an 82" Samsung 4K) based on his reviews. Couldn't have been happier. Glad to see my fellow CAG members giving Vincent Teoh some proper love.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Check out fomo as well. Hes a good dude for comparisons and reviews. Hes not a pro calibrator but more of a big enthusiast. Affable and loves the hobby.

Pimpbaa

Ooh that image retention on the LG though at 8:25 on the 2nd of the two videos, that is pretty worrying.

I know "burn in" gets overly bandied around, but for me QLED is the safer option.

Yeah but that's temporary image retention after artificially displaying something static at peak brightness. Not permanent burn in. Not something any game would have for that long or people would be complaining about it searing out their eyeballs

Captn

Been using my CX 48" for the past few days since I just got it. Took the necessary dispositions to limit burn-in probabilities.

No icons on desktop.
Using Wallpaper Engine switching every 15 seconds with around 50 different ones.
Switched Windows theme to black.
Hiding taskbar
Oled light set to 50%.

This tv is amazing!! No regrets at all!

Cheers! :messenger_beaming:

GymWolf

So....2020 in a nutshell...

OLED can’t do VRR without blowing out the blacks
Sony can’t do a clear picture at 4k 120
Samsung has image ghosting, especially bad in vrr

Too many compromises this year
Yep, it seems like this is more of a transition year for tv in general.
I bet that 2021 models are all gonna have full hdmi 2.1 compatibility without sacrifices, at least i hope.

GymWolf

Been using my CX 48" for the past few days since I just got it. Took the necessary dispositions to limit burn-in probabilities.

No icons on desktop.
Using Wallpaper Engine switching every 15 seconds with around 50 different ones.
Switched Windows theme to black.
Hiding taskbar
Oled light set to 50%.

This tv is amazing!! No regrets at all!

Cheers! :messenger_beaming:
I never did any of that and i had zero burn in in my latest 2 oled televisions that i only use as a pc monitor and for console.

I guess i'm the luckiest guy in the universe...

Nydus

So....2020 in a nutshell...

OLED can’t do VRR without blowing out the blacks
Sony can’t do a clear picture at 4k 120
Samsung has image ghosting, especially bad in vrr

Too many compromises this year
Thats why im really happy that i was able to get a B9 65inch for 1400€ some weeks back. It was an absolute bargain and it wont bother me much to resell it 2 or 3 years down the line for a matured hdmi 2.1 TV :)

Captn

I never did any of that and i had zero burn in in my latest 2 oled televisions that i only use as a pc monitor and for console.

I guess i'm the luckiest guy in the universe...

You must be lolll but I am not taking any chances. Better safe than sorry and it does not change my experience at all.

GymWolf

You must be lolll but I am not taking any chances. Better safe than sorry and it does not change my experience at all.
I'm dead serious.

I only use my oled as a pc monitor and for console\pc gaming, i don't even have the tv cable attached to it...

But i'm not a guy who use dynamic mode or ultra vivid color mode, i always search for the more realistic mode so what people can call mute or dull colors, maybe that help a lot with burn in...

bender

What time is it?
While it's not a high bar to clear, he's easily my favorite youtube personality. Super informative and charmingly funny.

Captn

I'm dead serious.

I only use my oled as a pc monitor and for console\pc gaming, i don't even have the tv cable attached to it...

But i'm not a guy who use dynamic mode or ultra vivid color mode, i always search for the more realistic mode so what people can call mute or dull colors, maybe that help a lot with burn in...

Yeah I know you are dead serious. And I do agree that using less bright profiles and more dull ones is indeed one of the good ways to prevent that but I like adding more prevention just in case. Unless you are willing to pay for mine if it gets burn-ins ? :messenger_sunglasses:

GymWolf

Yeah I know you are dead serious. And I do agree that using less bright profiles and more dull ones is indeed one of the good ways to prevent that but I like adding more prevention just in case. Unless you are willing to pay for mine if it gets burn-ins ? :messenger_sunglasses:
I can offer you a beer and a club sandwitch to raise up your moral if something happen :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

He calibrated my 65" ZD9/Z9D, lovely man.

I accidently left a background of naked women on my desktop so when we were checking the calibration I switched to PC and there were like 10 pairs of tits on the screen. I apologised and he said, in that voice you know:

"Don't worry, we are all men here"

Love this guy haha

lmao, dude's a legend

also daily reminder that burn-in is a literal non-issue

Last edited:

YCoCg

Just dropping by to say it's good to see Vincent being posted here, dude is legit and his HDR movie analyst videos are also great, he only recommends the best in that playlist.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
If you want the true right TV for your next-gen consoles, be patient and wait for the 2021 models to release. I would tell you to trust me but you have no reason too. Carry on.

stop being a fucking cock tease cunt and put your fucking money where your mouth is and spill

thelastword

Banned
He is my favourite TV reviewer. To call him the Digital Foundry of displays does a disservice to Vincent! Vincent's expert analysis has zero bias and gives a detailed and objective review.
Yeah, I've been looking at his content and a few others.......Vincent is no DF and that's a good thing right there.......Passionate, informed, technical and no bias....His information is all you need on upcoming TV's for consoles as it relates to us here. In essence you can take his well researched videos, his technical chops and recommendations to the bank, guaranteed....

I've been researching the nanocell tv technology a bit more these last few days, so I've come across some cool youtube tech tv guys...Vincent is at pole position.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
If you want the true right TV for your next-gen consoles, be patient and wait for the 2021 models to release. I would tell you to trust me but you have no reason too. Carry on.
Oh, I’m confident this will be the case.

I wish I hadn’t splurged money on a C9 earlier this year. While OLED color and contrast is fantastic, people on this forum know of my woes with OLED motion. But the X900h is no ideal substitute for that. Waiting for a more complete TV from Sony (even if this means waiting an extra year before it comes down in price - Sony may be quality, but their new prices are crazy compared to competitors).

Bit of a necro, but didn't want to start a new thread.

What is the point of ALLM? I've got my Series X hooked up to HDMI4 on my Q90T with ALLM enabled and game mode set to auto, but it stays on regardless of what I'm doing, be it gaming or streaming netflix/prime/Disney. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Genx3

I love how Vincent owned all the liars that say image retention is not a thing.
10 mins of a white rectangle on a black screen and pooof image retention on the CX OLED.

kyliethicc

Bit of a necro, but didn't want to start a new thread.

What is the point of ALLM? I've got my Series X hooked up to HDMI4 on my Q90T with ALLM enabled and game mode set to auto, but it stays on regardless of what I'm doing, be it gaming or streaming netflix/prime/Disney. Is there something I'm doing wrong?
I have a Samsung and leave Game Mode on Auto. When I use my PS4, it turns Game Mode on.

But when I use the built-in apps to watch shows/films, it auto switches Game Mode off and changes the picture mode back to Movie from Game.

IDK, cause PS4 doesn't even support ALLM yet it works fine. Maybe update your TV's firmware.

Top Bottom