• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vincent Teoh From HDTVTest: The Digital Foundry of Displays / Best TV for Next Gen [VIDEO]

Been meaning to give this guy some more hits, Vincent Teoh is a former Professional Calibrator providing service to home and commercial users to achieve optimal picture quality on TVs and projectors, which is accurate to the standards used within the film and broadcast industry. His level of high detail from ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode) to VRR (Variable Refresh Rate) is a rare gift and skill.

He is my favorite TV reviewer. To call him the Digital Foundry of displays does a disservice to Vincent! Vincent's expert analysis has zero bias and gives a detailed and objective review.

yes yes, I'm aware of this and knew someone would call it out, but for people more familiar with DF and not him ... guilty clickbait is why i did it

Last edited:

GymWolf

Yep, he is great and he even possess a good sense of humor.

i always watch his review before buying a television.

The guy piss all over DF.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Best tv is the LG CX OLED. 4 HDMI 2.1 ports compared to 2 in the Sony 900h. Better picture quality.

BUT if you are going with the Sony x900h, you are not missing out on much. especially if you can get the 65 inch for $999 or half the price of the OLED. picture quality between the two is VERY comparable. So you arent missing out on much.

Matt_Fox

Ooh that image retention on the LG though at 8:25 on the 2nd of the two videos, that is pretty worrying.

I know "burn in" gets overly bandied around, but for me QLED is the safer option.

mili2110

Best tv is the LG CX OLED. 4 HDMI 2.1 ports compared to 2 in the Sony 900h. Better picture quality.

BUT if you are going with the Sony x900h, you are not missing out on much. especially if you can get the 65 inch for $999 or half the price of the OLED. picture quality between the two is VERY comparable. So you arent missing out on much.

Does the Sony support 2x HDMI 2.1 sources (PS5/XSX) + eARC (Soundbar) at the same time?

PaNaMa

Banned
10 minutes and you see that OLED image retention.. just imagine a couple thousand hours of Destiny 2 HUD, super meter, all that... I really want that OLED but I remember my Sammy plasma and the D1 burn in that had, despite pixel shift and a bunch of other samsung stuff that was supposed to stop it.

jaysius

Banned
He is my favourite TV reviewer. To call him the Digital Foundry of displays does a disservice to Vincent! Vincent's expert analysis has zero bias and gives a detailed and objective review.

So early days preclickbait speculative hypothetical "analysis" era Digital Foundry than, they were amazing, don't discount that.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Does the Sony support 2x HDMI 2.1 sources (PS5/XSX) + eARC (Soundbar) at the same time?
Nope. that was my main issue with it. The second HDMI 2.1 port is the eARC port. So i cannot hookup my PC and my PS5 without giving up my soundbar.

I guess you can always use the optical cable if you have a non eARC soundbar but tbh, i dont even know if that optical cable will work like ARC. (i never tried... i just gave my 900h to my wife for her living room and bought the LG OLED instead).

Also, the biggest issue is that the 4k 120 fps mode is very blurry on the x900h.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
He is my favourite TV reviewer. To call him the Digital Foundry of displays does a disservice to Vincent! Vincent's expert analysis has zero bias and gives a detailed and objective review.

Absolutely agree. This man is a true expert at what he does. No arm chair dev here

Fake

Disagree about the picture quality, but overall is better. The picture engine play a huge role in image quality and I don't see that happen on LG panels.

Great Hair

Banned
Based on those two videos:
If ya got the cash : LG CX and if not, get the Sony for $500 less
Sony : 66% score
4 positive 2 negative remarks
overall best per bang4buck, accurate, not oversaturated colors, better blacks, contrast than Samung, VRR but not LFC? on board, terrible as PC monitor, no burn in

Samsung: 43% score
3 positive 4 negative remarks
overpriced, best HDR picture due twice as "many nits"?, inaccurate&oversaturated colors, black light bleeding, even though it has twice as many dimming zones than the Sony, terrible blacks, VRR, LFC? etc. all on board, no burn in ... makes no sense (get LG for the same money)

LG: 71% score
5 positive 2 negative remarks (or 3 if brightness is important to one)
best picture, not as bright, best contrast, best colors, best blacks, VRR, LFC all on board, image retention is a big issue for a 2020 model, more expensive than the Sony

Last edited:
Rtings.com is the most scientific TV testing site (they make videos too).

They may be a bit too dry for some, but their analysis is extremely complete. If these guys are the digital foundry, rtings.com is the gamers nexus or whoever you think is the most thorough PC tech analysis site/YouTube channel.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

He calibrated my 65" ZD9/Z9D, lovely man.

I accidently left a background of naked women on my desktop so when we were checking the calibration I switched to PC and there were like 10 pairs of tits on the screen. I apologised and he said, in that voice you know:

"Don't worry, we are all men here"

Love this guy haha

duhmetree

It's hard to argue against LG CX and their current prices. 48" at $1449 or 65" for $1849.

I might try to get the 48" on my desk. Hopefully wont be too close or at worst, I can just move back with my chair.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Rtings is good for numbers but their methodology for upscaling quality is trash, they just say every brand is the same when thats definitely not true. You've heard Vincent say that it dozens of times.

They also don't recognise differences in motion interpolation algorithms at all so they end up saying stupid shit like "This Samsung has better motion than this Sony" (which is a laugh and a half), due to response time being lower, even though the lower it is the more likely someone will want to turn on motion interpolation to "fix" it and then run into the artifacts they don't talk about.

I understand that its hard to show without filming offscreen but I wish they would at least mention it the differences between brands.

onesvenus

I don't know if it's the same in other places in Europe but MediaMarket Spain is doing a black friday sale during all the month and they have the LG CX heavily discounted.

Kuranghi

What is everyone heres use case for ALLM? For when you watch video (via disc or internal apps) through your console?

If I switch to my internal apps or my 4K bluray player, then its already set to the right picture mode and the PS4 is on game mode permanently.

Is it for when you have everything going through a receiver/soundbar and can't have separate picture settings?

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Only 1 HDMI 2.1 port though 🤦‍♂️

This is true and I ended up with a Q90T due to various circumstances (mainly wanted a TV for more than 3-4 years) the thing I felt like it was a shame he did not mention was that while it only has one HDMI 2.1 port (and it is a shame) one of the 2.0 has slightly more bandwidth which is why it has eARC next to it. As most people will have a soundbar which I hope would support eARC this means that it would be giving you the same as the Sony as you would need one of your HDMI 2.1's used for the eARC feature. Its a shame im not going to lie I suspect I might but an HDMI 2.1 switch sooner or later so that I can plug both a PS5 and Xbox series X (depending on if it gets worthwhile exclusives).

Its a shame too but im quite happy with my Q90T as I got an Q800T soundbar for free along with it but its still a shame to see them skimping in pretty much all areas, I just wrote off the CX due my bad experiences with OLED and burn in, but will definitely see how far OLED has come in the decade or so later when I upgrade again.

also why did OP not link this video

seems important if your wanting to have VRR enabled on your new game systems.

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
This is true and I ended up with a Q90T due to various circumstances (mainly wanted a TV for more than 3-4 years) the thing I felt like it was a shame he did not mention was that while it only has one HDMI 2.1 port (and it is a shame) one of the 2.0 has slightly more bandwidth which is why it has eARC next to it. As most people will have a soundbar which I hope would support eARC this means that it would be giving you the same as the Sony as you would need one of your HDMI 2.1's used for the eARC feature. Its a shame im not going to lie I suspect I might but an HDMI 2.1 switch sooner or later so that I can plug both a PS5 and Xbox series X (depending on if it gets worthwhile exclusives).

Its a shame too but im quite happy with my Q90T as I got an Q800T soundbar for free along with it but its still a shame to see them skimping in pretty much all areas, I just wrote off the CX due my bad experiences with OLED and burn in, but will definitely see how far OLED has come in the decade or so later when I upgrade again.

also why did OP not link this video

seems important if your wanting to have VRR enabled on your new game systems.

Yeah as it stands the only one of these I'll now contemplate getting is the CX as I need at least 2x HDMI 2.1 and eARC on top of that. I might wait until next year though and see what options are available.

Umbral

“We haven’t had a threeway since before the pandemic.”

giphy.gif

Top Bottom