• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vikings - Season 4, Part 2 - Wednesdays on History

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shy

Ragnar, noooo. 😭

Even though i've known this was coming for years. (i Wiki'd the real Ragnar) it was still incredibly impactful.

Excellent performances all-round.
Excellent episode, and a fitting send off to Ragnar. Fimmel will be missed.
Completely agree.

Tevren

Definitely not jumping ship. Despite the heart and soul of the show being gone now, there are still things i want to see.

I like the direction Ivar is heading, and seeing his swath of destruction will be interesting. Should be some great fights coming from Bjorn's Mediterranean sackings as well. Curious to see how much more, if any, they refer to Rollo's son William the Conqueror.

Nere

Definitely not jumping ship. Despite the heart and soul of the show being gone now, there are still things i want to see.

I like the direction Ivar is heading, and seeing his swath of destruction will be interesting. Should be some great fights coming from Bjorn's Mediterranean sackings as well. Curious to see how much more, if any, they refer to Rollo's son William the Conqueror.

Rollo's son isn't William the Conqueror, he lived 100 years after Rollo. Rollo's son is this guy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_I_Longsword ,although I dunno if they will change history to suit their liking.

Beefy

Very powerful end for Ragnar, loved it.

I disagree with those jumping ship, Ivar seems compelling enough to be moved into the focal role. We still have the old stalwarts in Bjorn/Floki/Rollo/Lagetha for now as well, although I can see Rollo and Lagetha leaving soon enough.

I just don't think they are good enough acting wise. It will now become a show with ok to poor actors leading it.

Theorry

It doesn't make much sense to continue the show after this. Fimmel carried the entire thing, it's just going to be a disjointed shadow of what it was going forward. The audience doesn't really have an emotional investment in anyone left besides Lagertha and they've already fucked her character up pretty badly this season.

Yeah i have the same.

ironcreed

Banned
The episode we all knew was coming. But a powerful turning point for the second half of the saga, with the tale of his sons and the Great Heathen Army.

Also, we still have Lagertha.

tumblr_mp2g2jXci71rzxujso1_500.gif

The most beautiful, graceful and badass female role being played on TV right now.

Beefy

The episode we all knew was coming. But a powerful turning point for the second half of the saga, with the tale of his sons and the Great Heathen Army.

Also, we still have Lagertha.

tumblr_mp2g2jXci71rzxujso1_500.gif

The most beautiful, graceful and badass female role being played on TV right now.

Who has been random as fuck this season. It made no sense what she did.

ironcreed

Banned
Who has been random as fuck this season. It made no sense what she did.

Other than feeling like she was forced out of her home and role as rightful queen due to what Ragnar did. Not to mention that she obviously still had feelings for him anyway after all this time and some part of her wanted him back, along with her home. Which probably also played a role. Makes perfect sense to me.

Beefy

Other than feeling like she was forced out of her home and role as rightful queen due to what Ragnar did. Not to mention that she obviously still had feelings for him anyway after all this time and some part of her wanted him back, along with her home. Which probably also played a role. Makes perfect sense to me.

Just seemed weird to me, she was fine and did nothing about it until now. I can't see the show lasting that long now Ragnar is gone.

ironcreed

Banned
Just seemed weird to me, she was fine and did nothing about it until now. I can't see the show lasting that long now Ragnar is gone.

But what happened to him is actually only the halfway point of the real saga, which I am sure you know. I can't wait to see the focus on his sons and the Great Heathen Army taking their revenge. That is the climax of the story that cemented Ragnar's legacy. It's not even close to being done and season 5 is already pretty much wrapped up, with season 6 ready to go.

Beefy

But what happened to him is actually only the halfway point of the real saga, which I am sure you know. I can't wait to see the focus on his sons and the Great Heathen Army taking their revenge. That is the climax of the story that cemented Ragnar's legacy. It's not even close to being done and season 5 is already pretty much wrapped up, with season 6 ready to go.

I would stay on if I liked the characters that are left. I just don't feel they are good enough acting wise. Shame as I like the show as a whole (story wise).

ironcreed

Banned
I would stay on if I liked the characters that are left. I just don't feel they are good enough acting wise. Shame as I like the show as a whole (story wise).

I'm sorry to hear that, man. I love the rest of the cast and the stage is being set for a story that is more epic than anything that came before. But hell yes, I'll miss Ragnar as well. Travis truly gave an iconic performance, though it sadly could not end any other way if they wanted to stay true to the core of the source material.

Werd

I'm definitely still interested, I like Ivar (well, "like" may be the wrong word for the toddler axe murderer) and Bjorn, Ubbe hasn't done much yet but the actor seems pretty good. I've always liked the Wessex scenes more than the online consensus seems to be, the revenge invasion should be good.

I don't really care about Lagertha anymore though, she's just been treading water for seasons now I don't get much more out of her taking Kattegat than gaining and losing control of wherever she was Earl multiple times. Though confrontation with the rest of Ragnars sons about Aslaug could be good. And I'm curious when they will reveal her fountain of youth so that she looks to have aged a few years while Ragnar was aging 25-30(/s).

Anyway as for Ragnar himself, I thought the last few episodes for his end were handled pretty well... but I do wish we had gotten another season of prime/ambitious Ragnar in the series. He was either injured, addicted to drugs or with a death wish the the last 17 or 18 episodes and this is only season 4. And we got virtually no information on what he was doing during the time skip.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Binge watched the show over the past few weeks

Absolutely gutted. I knew it was coming, since it was true to "real life" (If Ragnar is actually real, since it's disputed) Loved Ragnar and Fimmel. Wonder what the actor will do next? He was great in Warcraft.

Really don't care enough about Ivar or Bjorn

ZZMitch

I really need to check this show out! My roommate's cousin is Lagertha and I hear she is a pretty well liked character.

Lashley

I hope they focus a bit more on the Kingdom of Northumbria. Especially since I actually live in Northumberland.

We've literally seen it once, when they attacked the monastery.

Ahh, thanks for the correction. No idea where I pulled that from.

Don't feel bad. Rollo is not William's father but he is his great-great-great-grandfather and the line he spawned had a much bigger impact on history than the adventures of Ragnar and his sons, thrilling as they may have been. Although arguably their exploits paved the way for Cnut, which, in turn, paved the way for the Norman conquest so....blah.

I wonder why Ragnar told Ivar to seek revenge on Ecbert and not Aelle as he promised.
This was his plan from the start. He offers himself up for certain death knowing full well they'll let Ivar go so he can lead an army against Aelle and Ecbert in retaliation for his father's death.

It was basically the only way Ragnar could have revenge against Ecbert for killing the settlement.

Manu

This was his plan from the start. He offers himself up for certain death knowing full well they'll let Ivar go so he can lead an army against Aelle and Ecbert in retaliation for his father's death.

It was basically the only way Ragnar could have revenge against Ecbert for killing the settlement.

Ah, makes sense. For a moment I thought Ragnar was really forgiving Ecbert for it.

I'm glad this last episode was not the season finale. I can't wait to see the show without Ragnar but like many others said, I have my doubts, too bad Rollo is out of the picture because the actor is doing other things.

Lashley

Wait, Rollo is leaving too? That's my two favourite characters gone :(

I like Ecbert though, the actor who plays him is quite good.

EDIT: Just found out Linus Roache, who plays the King is the son of Ken Barlow from Corrie haha (William Roache)

Shyranui

Neo Member
Poor Ragnar. It was hard to watch how he was beaten. At least he
wasn't bitten in the face by the snakes,
I was prepared to cover my face if that happened.

I want to watch Bjorn's adventures. Maybe the actor is not the best but I enjoy the aura of the character. I want him to be a badass.

But the one I'm most excited is Ivar. When they do a time-skip I hope they don't replace the actor, I kinda like him.

And Lagertha is meh, I wouldn't mind if she is killed
by Ivar

Maffis

Who is the dude with the missing eye?

And also, did Ragnar want to atone for not protecting the settlement? But yet he killed a lot of his own people over there some episodes ago? I don't really get it.

Also, will the story line with the asian woman who was a daughter to an emperor ever go forward? Was kinda bummed Ragnar killed her because he felt really evil again. But I guess maybe killing her is also one of the reasons he wanted to die.

aku:jiki

I've felt Ragnar's death telegraphed since this season began, but really, did the whole season truly need to be about ensuring that Ragnar goes out as the biggest loser possible? I knew about the snakepit and they telegraphed that from season 1, but did he have to become a junkie, absentee father and shouting hobo who can't even pay people to get them to sail with him before going out?

I like Ecbert though, the actor who plays him is quite good.
I also love Ecbert, which is why it sucks that these might've been his final scenes too... I don't think he's supposed to be around when Ragnar's sons invade and Alfred is king?

BTW, I just learned that Helga (Floki's wife) and Torvi (Bjorn's wife) are the daughters of the show's creator Michael Hirst!
Well. Helga's full frontal nude scene just got creepier. How does that family dinner go? "Hey mom, I'm gonna be nude in dad's new show!"

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I've felt Ragnar's death telegraphed since this season began, but really, did the whole season truly need to be about ensuring that Ragnar goes out as the biggest loser possible? I knew about the snakepit and they telegraphed that from season 1, but did he have to become a junkie, absentee father and shouting hobo who can't even pay people to get them to sail with him before going out?

I'd rather he go out the way that he did - on his own terms and as a means of exacting the ultimate revenge on the people who wronged him and his people - than him being defeated at the top of his game by the English.

I also love Ecbert, which is why it sucks that these might've been his final scenes too... I don't think he's supposed to be around when Ragnar's sons invade and Alfred is king?

I think Ecbert is going to die when Ragar's sons come to sack England at the end of the season.

Well. Helga's full frontal nude scene just got creepier. How does that family dinner go? "Hey mom, I'm gonna be nude in dad's new show!"

I'm assuming her dad wasn't on set when they filmed that...

Lashley

I also hope they don't recast Ivar.

Can't remember any full frontal nude scenes though? Unless I've been watching a censored edition

Who is the dude with the missing eye?

And also, did Ragnar want to atone for not protecting the settlement? But yet he killed a lot of his own people over there some episodes ago? I don't really get it.

Also, will the story line with the asian woman who was a daughter to an emperor ever go forward? Was kinda bummed Ragnar killed her because he felt really evil again. But I guess maybe killing her is also one of the reasons he wanted to die.

People think it was Odin

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
I also hope they don't recast Ivar.

Pretty sure they won't. Saw an instagram photo from the set of the Ivar actor sleeping in a chair, which is supposedly from the set of season 5. Also, looked like he had longer hair, at least it was pulled back, possibly in the braid style others have worn. So yeah, he's not going anywhere.

I really do hope they change Sigurd's hairstyle soon.

aku:jiki

I'd rather he go out the way that he did - on his own terms and as a means of exacting the ultimate revenge on the people who wronged him and his people - than him being defeated at the top of his game by the English.
Oh, I don't mind the very final episode and I liked Ragnar's explanation of what he was doing, but I don't think the entire season needed to be about bringing him down like 15 pegs. Dying on his own terms? Cool. Making him a junkie, absentee father and shouting hobo that can't even pay people to follow him? Kind of unnecessary... Losing at Paris would've been plot device enough to show that his people lost respect for him.

The version that airs in the US and Canada is censored.
But the US BluRays should have all scenes intact, right?

You guys aren't really missing much of anything, since it's not like the show turns into Spartacus when uncensored. It's just made in a way where like if there's a sex scene with everything covered in the censored edition, there might be an added angle where you see half a nipple. Doesn't really change the feel or tone of the show at all. Helga has the only nude scene that kinda makes you go woah, but that's mostly because young Björn is right there and they even speak to each other during the nudity. It's kinda weird.

Can confirm that there is zero Lagertha nudity since I presume that's what most would want to hear about. There is a bit of Aslaug nudity but ain't nobody trying to see that.

Lashley

Oh, I don't mind the very final episode and I liked Ragnar's explanation of what he was doing, but I don't think the entire season needed to be about bringing him down like 15 pegs. Dying on his own terms? Cool. Making him a junkie, absentee father and shouting hobo that can't even pay people to follow him? Kind of unnecessary... Losing at Paris would've been plot device enough to show that his people lost respect for him.

You guys aren't really missing much of anything, since it's not like the show turns into Spartacus when uncensored. It's just made in a way where like if there's a sex scene with everything covered in the censored edition, there might be an added angle where you see half a nipple. Doesn't really change the feel or tone of the show at all. Helga has the only nude scene that kinda makes you go woah, but that's mostly because young Björn is right there and they even speak to each other during the nudity. It's kinda weird.

Can confirm that there is zero Lagertha nudity since I presume that's what most would want to hear about. There is a bit of Aslaug nudity but ain't nobody trying to see that.
She was cute when she first appeared, but she looked really frail this season

They kept Ivar clean-shaven and Sigurd's goofy hair so that they can easily age them up next season. Give Ivar a beard and long hair, and give Sigurd a proper appearance. Ubbe's actor looks older already so he's good.

Who was that one-eyed dude on the boat?

Lashley

They kept Ivar clean-shaven and Sigurd's goofy hair so that they can easily age them up next season. Give Ivar a beard and long hair, and give Sigurd a proper appearance. Ubbe's actor looks older already so he's good.

Who was that one-eyed dude on the boat?

People are guessing that it's Odin

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

I think all of that had to happen for him to be willing to die though.

I believe the blu-rays do but the DVDs don't. Might be wrong though.

ironcreed

Banned
I really need to check this show out! My roommate's cousin is Lagertha and I hear she is a pretty well liked character.

Your roommate's cousin is Katheryn Winnick? Pretty well liked is an understatement. She is the most powerful and most beautiful woman on TV right now.

Whelp, bring on Ivar the Boneless and his brothers who somehow are great generals and lead the great heathen army! (the show sure isn't making them look like great leaders at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom