• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vikings - Season 4, Part 2 - Wednesdays on History

Status
Not open for further replies.

xrnzaaas

Pretty okay season. I liked how they stepped up with battles and it doesn't look like few dozen guys sparring anymore. I wasn't a fan of the sudden time jump or how they
killed off Ragnar
but the new cast member from the last scene should be entertaining to watch next season (is it 20 episodes again or back to normal length?).

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Pretty okay season. I liked how they stepped up with battles and it doesn't look like few dozen guys sparring anymore. I wasn't a fan of the sudden time jump or how they
killed off Ragnar
but the new cast member from the last scene should be entertaining to watch next season (is it 20 episodes again or back to normal length?).

20 episodes again.

Fjordson

Finally caught up on the last two episodes. Thought it ended strong.

Still a little worried about the show losing its two most interesting characters in Ragnar and Ecbert, but hopefully the Rhys-Meyers character can fill some of that void. Seriously though, what an amazing run for Travis Fimmel and Linius Roache on this show. Both were incredible, it's a bummer they're gone.

I will say that some of the others characters have stepped up. Bjorn continues to get better, King Harald and Halfdan are good, and I really like the guy playing Ubbe. He's got good screen presence, hopefully he sticks around.

Also, we need Rollo back. Hate that the story shipped him off to France.

Sunster

Finally caught up on the last two episodes. Thought it ended strong.

Still a little worried about the show losing its two most interesting characters in Ragnar and Ecbert, but hopefully the Rhys-Meyers character can fill some of that void. Seriously though, what an amazing run for Travis Fimmel and Linius Roache on this show. Both were incredible, it's a bummer they're gone.

I will say that some of the others characters have stepped up. Bjorn continues to get better, King Harald and Halfdan are good, and I really like the guy playing Ubbe. He's got good screen presence, hopefully he sticks around.

Also, we need Rollo back. Hate that the story shipped him off to France.

If anything, Ragnar has been a hindrance to the show ever since he failed to sack Paris (the first attempt). His death has been a long time coming imo.

Fjordson

If anything, Ragnar has been a hindrance to the show ever since he failed to sack Paris (the first attempt). His death has been a long time coming imo.
I think I agree, story wise it made sense and was overdue. But just as a character and the acting performance from Fimmel, Ragnar was the heart of the show for me (with Ecbert close behind).

I'm still excited for next season, though. These last few episodes without Ragnar were still quite good imo.

Sunster

I think I agree, story wise it made sense and was overdue. But just as a character and the acting performance from Fimmel, Ragnar was the heart of the show for me (with Ecbert close behind).

I'm still excited for next season, though. These last few episodes without Ragnar were still quite good imo.

Yea I would have liked him to go out on top instead of in disgrace in the eyes of his people. and I wish the whole drug dealing slave who he murdered storyline never happened because that just made me not like him. but history...

Fjordson

Yea I would have liked him to go out on top instead of in disgrace in the eyes of his people. and I wish the whole drug dealing slave who he murdered storyline never happened because that just made me not like him. but history...
Oh man, yeah that was a weird storyline. Unless I'm forgetting something, there was nothing even really interesting or nuanced about it. Just Ragnar taking drugs then murdering a woman in cold blood.

Man I honestly forgot all about that subplot lol.

UrbanRats

Finally caught up with the second half of S4.

It's gonna be real hard for them to carry this show without Ragnar, is all i'm gonna say.
Especially on 20 episodes seasons.

Chumley

Banned
Finally caught up with the second half of S4.

It's gonna be real hard for them to carry this show without Ragnar, is all i'm gonna say.
Especially on 20 episodes seasons.

I thought it became straight trash as soon as
Ragnar died
, aside from the Ecbert scenes. Every other actor on the show is lifeless and boring, especially Bjorn. They have no one on the roster who can carry Season 5.

rashbeep

Banned
I thought it became straight trash as soon as
Ragnar died
, aside from the Ecbert scenes. Every other actor on the show is lifeless and boring, especially Bjorn. They have no one on the roster who can carry Season 5.

I can't help but chuckle every time Bjorn has a dramatic moment.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
As expected, the series has been renewed for a 20 episode sixth season.

In other news,

Vikings has tapped popular Russian movie actor Danila Kozlovsky as a major new cast addition for the just-picked up 20-episode sixth season. On the hit History drama series, Kozlovsky will play the leading role of Oleg The Prophet.

Source

UrbanRats

Man, the 20 episodes approach is so misguided.
I think this may be the season i drop the show, but i want to give them 2 or 3 episodes to see where they are going with it, first.

Dysun

Have a feeling Vikings will go that Dexter route where the first half is remembered fondly, the and second speaks for itself. Hope I'm wrong

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The 20 episode thing always gets blown out of proportion. It basically gives us two 10 episode seasons per season/year. It's not like they're stretching 10 episodes worth of content across 20 episodes...

UrbanRats

The 20 episode thing always gets blown out of proportion. It basically gives us two 10 episode seasons per season/year. It's not like they're stretching 10 episodes worth of content across 20 episodes...

They did just that in the past season though.
The older seasons of Viking moved at such a fast pace, you had massive time jumps even in the first few episodes of S1.

In the first half of the latest one, everything moved at snail's pace, which only highlights the other shortcomings of the show, in terms of writing.

No show can realistically sustain 20 quality episodes a year.

I do hope they make Ivar a bit more likeable. During season 4 he seemed an asshole for the sake of being one.

Also wanna see them meet some Romans and go to Constantinople.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Uh, last season(s) were exactly that and it sucked and the pacing was glacial.

It's annoying that they are doubling down on this nonsense.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
They did just that in the past season though.
The older seasons of Viking moved at such a fast pace, you had massive time jumps even in the first few episodes of S1.

In the first half of the latest one, everything moved at snail's pace, which only highlights the other shortcomings of the show, in terms of writing.

Uh, last season(s) were exactly that and it sucked and the pacing was glacial.

Like, the pacing in season 4 was definitely not perfect, but neither was the pacing in any of the other seasons (especially 1, which, iirc, is the only season with random time jumps, and everyone complained about them because they made things hard to follow).

Pacing was never this show's strong suit and I don't think that doing what is essentially 2 seasons per year is exacerbating the issue to any significant degree. I mean, the whole reason they're doing 20 episodes per season in the first place is so they can get through more history and at a quicker pace.

Buckle

Binge watching season 4 Pt 2 now.

Lagertha's time to shine.
Good stuff.

Ivar really is the worst though. Looking forward to seeing the brat get his down the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom