• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vikings - Season 4, Part 2 - Wednesdays on History

Status
Not open for further replies.

xenist

In the blood eagle punishment I thought they pulled the lungs out and hung them over the shoulders. In that episode it looked like they stretched his skin out.

Aella died before Bjorn finished. I'm not certain but I think the victim must be alive during the blood eagle.

Aella died before Bjorn finished. I'm not certain but I think the victim must be alive during the blood eagle.

It looked like Bjorn was a little rough. Bits of bone were flying while he was hacking away with that axe. Ragnar did that shit like a surgeon.

I realize Bjorn needed to assert dominance over his brother, but felt like he as throwing a tantrum more than trying to be a boss.

The last part was disappointing, not cause there was no battle, but I suppose I expecting Aella to give some sort of challenge but he just shat his pants.

Dysun

Bjorn definitely didn't sell that scene with his brothers all too well

Glad to see things moving at a nice pace though

LOL Aella didn't last long did he? I did like how quickly the mood changed though, I was expecting them to to surround Aella's little army seeing how large their forces were. So long not John Rhys Davies, so long.

Nobody looks more badass entering the battle field than Floki.

This, this is true.

Nere

Don't really liked the episode. They spent more time on useless threesomes and more sex scenes than they spend to how they got to England, the battle, King Aelle etc. guess tv never changes.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
(btw, Travis Fimmel is developing a new anthology series for History that will be about history's most infamous figures. In the first season he'll by playing Wyatt Earp!)

NeoGiff

EW interview with Hirst:

EW: When the sons look into Ragnar’s grave, his body seems to be gone. Where do you think it went?

MH: That’s a very good question, because I hadn’t really thought about it! I suppose we could have had a look in at the decomposed body, which I wouldn’t have liked very much. You might interpret it as: He’s risen again from the dead! Like, “He wasn’t in the cave when they opened the cave in the morning,” you know?

I hear it’s fueled quite a debate on social media, people speculating that Ragnar will come back and he isn’t really dead. Which is, I think, quite a lot of wishful thinking!

Wait... what? How?! How can you not think of that?

Fjordson

Finally caught up. Was kinda surprised at how quickly they beat Aelle. Figured it'd be more than 5 minutes of the show lol. But I have to say, seeing all the sons doing something, including Bjorn, is pretty cool.

Also tbh I'm still unsure why Ragnar is gone. Like I don't get why he felt he had to die at the hands of Aelle.

I guess he had contemplated suicide before and this was almost that without actually doing it himself, but the plot line still feels weird to me.

Edit: also, does Rollo have no opinion on any of this? He was just like "alright boys, good raiding. Seeya!" and that's that.

Also tbh I'm still unsure why Ragnar is gone. Like I don't get why he felt he had to die at the hands of Aelle.

I guess he had contemplated suicide before and this was almost that without actually doing it himself, but the plot line still feels weird to me.

He wanted revenge on the English for destroying the Viking settlement. He tried to raise an army to invade and destroy Ecbert himself, but he could not find the support because no one cared about his cause. Bjorn cared more about the Mediterranean and Ragnar could only recruit old guys who had nothing better to do.

Therefore, he went to England to become a martyr. He gave his people and his sons a compelling reason to invade England: to avenge the murder of their King. That's why Ivar tagged along too. It's all part of his revenge scheme against the English. Not just suicide.

Fjordson

He wanted revenge on the English for destroying the Viking settlement. He tried to raise an army to invade and destroy Ecbert himself, but he could not find the support because no one cared about his cause. Bjorn cared more about the Mediterranean and Ragnar could only recruit old guys who had nothing better to do.

Therefore, he went to England to become a martyr. He gave his people and his sons a compelling reason to invade England: to avenge the murder of their King. That's why Ivar tagged along too. It's all part of his revenge scheme against the English. Not just suicide.
Yeah, I guess that makes sense. I'm assuming that's why he told Ivar at the last second to attack Ecbert.

I wonder if they'll spare Aethelstan's son.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
That battle at the end was pretty fucking sweet. Ivar is a great tactician. I can't wait to see how it plays out in the finale next week.

Speaking of battles, the one at Kattegat was pretty cool too - btw, RIP Torvi?

Coxy100

Banned
"he's a man of god who put his prick into your wife"

My favourite line from the last episode I saw :) (Ecbert to his son)

Just about to watch the latest !

Avinexus

Up until that last battle I thought they had completely forgotten how to do a decent battle scene in this show. The skipped the big one with Aella and the early ones in Kattegat in this episode were really poorly done, imo. But that last one was great.

NeoGiff

When we were filming that (I was one of the Saxons constantly running around), I actually thought the force that showed up behind us when we reached the top of the hill was a different one, and they were supposed to be trapping us in a pincer movement... not the same guys we had just chased to the hill!

Zeusy

When we were filming that (I was one of the Saxons constantly running around), I actually thought the force that showed up behind us when we reached the top of the hill was a different one, and they were supposed to be trapping us in a pincer movement... not the same guys we had just chased to the hill!

HAHAAHAHA, i swear i thought they were a different group...

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
So apparently Rhys-Meyers is not Alfred.

He's super religious berserker kicking ass for the lord. And if you think that sounds cooky, Hirst said in a recent interview that he found out about these warrior bishop types while doing research.

“Johnny is just perfect for this crazed, religiously obsessed guy, who is also a sinner. He’s a passionate guy, drawn towards women. He sins, and then when he sins, he punishes himself.”

NeoGiff

It really does look silly.

Should have been two separate forces confusing Athelwulf.

This is what it seemed like on location and seeing it the way it happened in the episode confused me.

What was really interesting to me was that the shots of the Vikings and Saxon forces on the top/bottom of the hill were shot simultaneously. So when we were down in the muck looking up the hill, the chariot and Vikings were really up there, and vice-versa.

Also, when the Saxons are on top of the hill and Aethelwulf roars "Turn around!", that was actually right on the spot where the Vikings had been before - the exact same location. The same goes for the trees where the first Viking archer attack came from. That sequence was shot at the exact same trees that are on the side of the hill the previous drama played out on.

Just found it cool that the one location was used dynamically in a way that made geographical sense in both real life and in the show.

Edit: I should also mention that the actors are incredibly humble and down-to-earth. There were no trailers on location. On breaks between shots, they lay in the same mud as us, chatted with us, drank the same tea and ate the same food as us. It was nice to see that.

Shy

This is what it seemed like on location and seeing it the way it happened in the episode confused me.

What was really interesting to me was that the shots of the Vikings and Saxon forces on the top/bottom of the hill were shot simultaneously. So when we were down in the muck looking up the hill, the chariot and Vikings were really up there, and vice-versa.

Also, when the Saxons are on top of the hill and Aethelwulf roars "Turn around!", that was actually right on the spot where the Vikings had been before - the exact same location. The same goes for the trees where the first Viking archer attack came from. That sequence was shot at the exact same trees that are on the side of the hill the previous drama played out on.

Just found it cool that the one location was used dynamically in a way that made geographical sense in both real life and in the show.
That is pretty cool.
Edit: I should also mention that the actors are incredibly humble and down-to-earth. There were no trailers on location. On breaks between shots, they lay in the same mud as us, chatted with us, drank the same tea and ate the same food as us. It was nice to see that.
I know it's silly, but that actually makes me happy to hear.

rokkerkory

What have I done? I recently started to watch Vikings and damn it's really good. Almost GOT level for me.

Sigh good bye life

Doomshine

Finally caught up, just in time for the finish.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who didn't like the way Lagertha took back Kattegat and killed Aslaug. An arrow in the back after pretending to let her leave? Come on now.

Speaking of Lagertha... that Kattegat fight did not look like it was going in her favor at all and then she scares them off with a tiny fire? Feels like everything involving her lately is either confusing or half-assed.

Besides stuff like that I've enjoyed most of this half of the season and I'm looking forward to the last episode.

Fjordson

Yeah, Aslaug's exit and Lagertha's motivations for it was just really undercooked to me.

What have I done? I recently started to watch Vikings and damn it's really good. Almost GOT level for me.

Sigh good bye life
It's awesome. Spent all Christmas break binge watching it on Amazon Prime.

Chronoja

Finally caught up, just in time for the finish.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who didn't like the way Lagertha took back Kattegat and killed Aslaug. An arrow in the back after pretending to let her leave? Come on now.

Speaking of Lagertha... that Kattegat fight did not look like it was going in her favor at all and then she scares them off with a tiny fire? Feels like everything involving her lately is either confusing or half-assed.

Besides stuff like that I've enjoyed most of this half of the season and I'm looking forward to the last episode.

It was really convenient that the invading forces suddenly forgot how to use their bows, which they used literally seconds before she confronted them, alone, unshielded.

xrnzaaas

I caught up again with the last few eps. They were good for most part, but how did they transport the chariot for Iver?

As someone planning on getting into the film/tv industry, I find that awesome. Thanks for sharing.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Tidbits from various interviews with Hirst:

Torvi, despite being last seen stuck with an arrow, is still alive.

Rollo will be back next season.

Ivar will have his wooden leg brace/splint things that allow him to walk.

Ferdia Walsh-Peelo will play Alfred the Great.

Darren Cahill will play Aethelred.

"Vikings is the now 9th biggest show in the world." (by biggest, I think he means in terms of popularity)

Hirst pitched the end of the series to execs last week, but won't say how many more seasons it will take to get there. He's certain there will be a season 6 though.

And who is the bishop with the sword supposed to be?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heahmund

"Heahmund was a real character, he was what was called a warrior bishop. They were the precursors of the Knights Templar. They were bishops or princes of the church but they also went to church. Heahmund was an interesting new character as someone who could stand up to the Vikings. It was wonderful when we cast Johnny to play that role because these guys are mavericks. They're slightly crazed. If you ever read the stories of the Knights Templar they were completely crazed. Johnny is playing the precursor of that, people who fight a holy war against pagans. We're just introducing this character who is a bit off the wall, who is a totally devout Christian and Catholic, but who is also passionate. He's a very conflicted, passionate, confident person. He has an amazing trajectory going into season five — an amazing trajectory. It brings him first in conflict and then into a deeper relationship with Ivar. It's an extraordinary relationship that develops."

Shy

Really good episode tonight.

Our Queen Lagertha drinking out of a skull. lol.

YAAAAAY.
YAAAAAY.
.........YAAAY? *looks around and shrugs*
"Vikings is the now 9th biggest show in the world." (by biggest, I think he means in terms of popularity)
Noice.
Hirst pitched the end of the series to execs last week, but won't say how many more seasons it will take to get there. He's certain there will be a season 6 though.
Cool. I'm glad he has an end for the show worked out ahead of time. Rather than just dragging it out.
Fuck yeah.
Season 5 may premiere as early as next month, so we won't have to wait very long to find out!
😲REALLY ?!?!?!? GET IN!

Ferdia Walsh-Peelo will play Alfred the Great.

Darren Cahill will play Aethelred.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heahmund
Nice!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom