• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VG TECH] Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 PS5 & Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Test

assurdum

Banned
This is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about.

Xbox hits 1080p for a few frames at its lowest point and we have no more information about why. How is that at all in the same league as Hitman or Avengers?

Edit: And I'm not even getting any further into individual games. It's pointless. Get a grip.
What information you have about Hitman and Avengers to say such differences counts more? You know those games are deeply tied to the old code aka on ps5 should run worse than expected because it's an low API access hardware?
Hitman 3 engine needs to run Hitman 1 and 2 because enhanced for free both automatically, Avenger is enhanced via patch. And look at the coincidence every single time where BC is involved in some way, ps5 perfomance significantly worse of series X.

Last edited:
I actually can, go play gears of war hive busters. It’s dope. I see the 12 tf of power on loads of games. It’s like saying I don’t see my 3080 tf performing playing doom eternal, or apex legends. I see my ps5 performing extremely well on ghosts of Tsushima and it doesn’t look much worse than demons souls or miles morales to me. GoT looks sick on ps5 and it’s higher resolution that demons souls and miles morales.

Lmao, these are all cross Gen games not using velocity architecture or mesh shaders or any of microsofts next gen stuff but that doesn’t apply...because?

man I am glad I like all gaming platforms, some of you are weird with how obsessed you are with one platform. They are both amazing consoles imo
Loading a game isnt just about loading screens. The speed of the ssd is one thing ssds simply stream cold data to be processed like textures, geometry, sound! Loading a game is more than streaming data from disc its also about game logic, ai, physics and loads of other things that are cpu related before a game starts. This is where your getiing wrong.

The ssd on ps5 will beat series x when it comes to realtime data streaming like uve seen on unreal 5 basically for series x to play that ue5 demo theyll have to cut down everything in half or more. Basically what youll see in many games is ps5 having higher density of textures and detailed assets on screen or no popin in nextgen games while series x will have popin. And weve seen this already cyberpunk stutters on series x when playing in areas where it starts streaming stuff, control drops fps when streaming, mortal shell has popin on series x. Dirt 5 has low res textures and geometry on series x. The medium has popin. Data streaming is whats special on ps5 its not about loading screens only. Heres a good example for you

Ps5.
cKdVbNH.jpg

Series x
9j4TbkH.jpg

See the missing textures on series x! Well thats the popin you should worry about not how many seconds was ur loading screen.

Zoro7

Banned
Loading a game isnt just about loading screens. The speed of the ssd is one thing ssds simply stream cold data to be processed like textures, geometry, sound! Loading a game is more than streaming data from disc its also about game logic, ai, physics and loads of other things that are cpu related before a game starts. This is where your getiing wrong.

The ssd on ps5 will beat series x when it comes to realtime data streaming like uve seen on unreal 5 basically for series x to play that ue5 demo theyll have to cut down everything in half or more. Basically what youll see in many games is ps5 having higher density of textures and detailed assets on screen or no popin in nextgen games while series x will have popin. And weve seen this already cyberpunk stutters on series x when playing in areas where it starts streaming stuff, control drops fps when streaming, mortal shell has popin on series x. Dirt 5 has low res textures and geometry on series x. The medium has popin. Data streaming is whats special on ps5 its not about loading screens only. Heres a good example for you

Ps5.
cKdVbNH.jpg

Series x
9j4TbkH.jpg

See the missing textures on series x! Well thats the popin you should worry about not how many seconds was ur loading screen.
Isn't that SFS in motion. It only loads what it needs to load. It didn't need to load in detail at that point. SFS everybody!

Mmnow

What information you have about Hitman and Avengers to say such differences counts more?
Why do constant, major resolution differences at usually identical frame rates count more than cherry picking rare bottom resolutions when scaling?

Is that what you're asking?

You know those games are deeply tied to the old code aka on ps5 should run worse than expected because of it?
Hitman 3 needs to run Hitman 1 and 2 because enhanced both automatically, Avenger is enhanced via patch. And look at the coincidence every single time BC is involved in some way, ps5 perfomance are significantly worse of series X.
Except Tony Hawks, right? That's not tied to old code, so obviously is indicative of which console is more powerful.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Why do constant, major resolution differences at usually identical frame rates count more than cherry picking rare bottom resolutions when scaling?

Is that what you're asking?
No I'm asking why 4k Vs 1800p is considered that major gap when it's far more noticeable the sharpness difference between 1080p and 1200p lowered res in a dynamic setup.
But I already know what's the real reason behind.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Isn't that SFS in motion. It only loads what it needs to load. It didn't need to load in detail at that point. SFS everybody!
That is not SFS.

SFS see you need only half of the texture to be used on the render so you stream only half of it instead the full texture.
The result is the same on screen because that half of the texture won't be showed/used.

The pic shows a texture streaming issues... basically the texture was not in that for render so the render is still working to show it... probably in the next few frames it will be fully show.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Guys, guys why are we talking SSD and loading times in this thread?
Because as of now it is the same argument over and over and y the same people.
So for those too tireed to read here's a quick summary :
12=10
Then ps5 ssd = xbox ssd
Then yeah but 1st party games loads almost instantly
Then yeah but it doesn't count because multiplats do not
Then yeah they do not yet, show a game that does it on XSX/XSS
Then the circle is over and everything is repeated.

In a nutshell nothing moves and both teams stand on their ground.
And team blue will argue again that nothing on xbox has shown such speed as sony's 1st party which is true ...Probably until 1st party games hit the xbox this summer on by the end of the year(I don't know if flight sim will show the ssd power).

assurdum

Banned
Except Tony Hawks, right? That's not tied to old code, so obviously is indicative of which console is more powerful.
Did Tony Hawk's was coded from PS4 and ported to ps5? And who ever said ps5 is more powerful?

Last edited:
you know I was so with you all the way until the end there. What started off as a great post went too negative in the last few sentences.

if we are seeing stutters in true next Gen game’s and weird hitches etc then I will concede that you were onto something but I genuinely believe what we are seeing on Xbox is just teething issues. We keep saying it but we are barely 6 months into this Gen in a worldwide pandemic.
one thing I agree on, I can’t wait to play Ratchet I’m a huge fan of insomniac and competed all previous entry’s. That game will be awesome!
I agree i hate to compare this consoles capabilities on crossgen games but sony have backed their words on ps exclusives and microsoft are yet to show us. On the other hand i think its fanboys who missinterpreted microsoft. Because microsoft in all its flamboyant marketing never said 12 teraflops was more powerful than ps5 they never said their ssd was faster and they never said their buzzwords will outperform ps5 its the xbox fanboy community who amplified everything microsoft marketed and its good for the company

Secondly the only nextgen game ive seen on xbox is the medium and that game has popin, texture streaming data streaming will be the achilles hill on series x/pc in a way compared to ps5 and thats what people should worry about sony solved the memory issue. Those ssds werent engineered to just remove or faster loading screens they where engineered to increase memory because memory is what showes the difference between lastgen machines and nextgen memory is what you see on screen its what gives games detail as you saw in unreal 5 they can have film assets with billions of polygons and 8k textures on screen thats 100s of gb it wont fit on the 16gb of ps5 alone scenes like that need an extremely fast ssd to pull that trick its an engineering marvel and exactly why developers say the ps5 is the most revolutionary console since 3d. And im not sure the series x can pull what ps5 is doing of, well have to wait for multiplats but i feel theyll be parity on both systems its the ps5 exclusives that will be a generation apart. Other than the ssd witchcraft on ps5 nothing else will be of any significant difference fps/resolutions will just be similar in nextgen games.

Mmnow

No I'm asking why 4k Vs 1800p is considered that major gap when it's far more noticeable the sharpness difference when drops to 1080p than 1200p in a dynamic res.
But I already know why.
You're comparing constant to drops. If Xbox is hypothetically at 1080p for 1 minute out of a 15hr play and is otherwise identical, that's worse than PlayStation being at 1800p for 15hrs?

I mean, if you have to do this stuff at least compare averages. PlayStation probably still wins in this game and the bottom figure is practically meaningless.

That could be anything its just popin and sfs cant save popin it just minimizes it, if it was sfs wed probably see a low res texture but that looks flat!

In a nutshell nothing moves and both teams stand on their ground.
And team blue will argue again that nothing on xbox has shown such speed as sony's 1st party which is true ...Probably until 1st party games hit the xbox this summer on by the end of the year(I don't know if flight sim will show the ssd power).

I'd say Halo Infinite would probably be a good one to study. Or any Xbox 1st party title that's marketed as an SSD tech demo.

assurdum

Banned
You're comparing constant to drops. If Xbox is hypothetically at 1080p for 1 minute out of a 15hr play and is otherwise identical, that's worse than PlayStation being at 1800p for 15hrs?

I mean, if you have to do this stuff at least compare averages. PlayStation probably still wins in this game and the bottom figure is practically meaningless.
You know what was difference? You look just at the higher number. But the reality is 1800p is far from dramatically worse than 4k because of pixels density, and it's fixed res. Indeed play a game which drops from 1440 to 1080p in the more taxing scene is quite more evident because sharpness changes suddenly. At 1200p is quite more tough to perceive.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I agree i hate to compare this consoles capabilities on crossgen games but sony have backed their words on ps exclusives and microsoft are yet to show us. On the other hand i think its fanboys who missinterpreted microsoft. Because microsoft in all its flamboyant marketing never said 12 teraflops was more powerful than ps5 they never said their ssd was faster and they never said their buzzwords will outperform ps5 its the xbox fanboy community who amplified everything microsoft marketed and its good for the company

Secondly the only nextgen game ive seen on xbox is the medium and that game has popin, texture streaming data streaming will be the achilles hill on series x/pc in a way compared to ps5 and thats what people should worry about sony solved the memory issue. Those ssds werent engineered to just remove or faster loading screens they where engineered to increase memory because memory is what showes the difference between lastgen machines and nextgen memory is what you see on screen its what gives games detail as you saw in unreal 5 they can have film assets with billions of polygons and 8k textures on screen thats 100s of gb it wont fit on the 16gb of ps5 alone scenes like that need an extremely fast ssd to pull that trick its an engineering marvel and exactly why developers say the ps5 is the most revolutionary console since 3d. And im not sure the series x can pull what ps5 is doing of, well have to wait for multiplats but i feel theyll be parity on both systems its the ps5 exclusives that will be a generation apart. Other than the ssd witchcraft on ps5 nothing else will be of any significant difference fps/resolutions will just be similar in nextgen games.
Actually between the reveal and maybe until May I guess Microsoft themselves keep saying the Series X was more powerful than PS5 in official PR.
They did fueled the FUD Xbox fans.

I don't blame Xbox fans for that... they are just like us PS fans... it is just the deceptive marketing that support the way they act... if you create a marketing strategy with FUD your fans will keep spreading FUD.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Let's look at all the PlayStation 5 vs Xbox Series X loading times.

This list only includes NATIVE next gen releases.

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1+2
Devil May Cry Special Edition
XSX- 03:36
PS5 - 02:11

Source: Digital Founry

Marvel's Avengers
XSS - 7.86
XSX - 6.43
PS5 - 5.09
Source: ElAnalistaDeBits

Crash Bandicoot 4
" Slightly faster loading times on PS5." (No time shown)
Source:
ElAnalistaDeBits

Mortal Kombat 11
XSX - 6.10
PS5 - 5.86

Destiny 2
XSX - 28.34
PS5 - 27:56
Source: Digital Foundry

Mortal Shell Enhanced Edition
XSS - 12:06
XSX - 11:59
PS5 - 11:15

Control
XSS - 11:35
XSX - 11:38
PS5 - 11:41

Assassins Creed Valhalla
XSS - 27:17
XSX - 26:48
PS5 - 23:30

Hitman 3
XSS - 8:06
XSX - 7:53
PS5 - 07:18

There's more, but....

Sure it does.

Half the time in these comparisons Xbox has faster loading times. Even S is faster than PS5. So it shows the PS5 SSD is weak if it cant beat a slower SSD in a budget priced 4tf system.

This is a lie. Only argument you have is in BC titles, which doesn't take advantage of the PS5 I/O hardware.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
One thing that is weird, is it is true....suddenly resolution matters in this thread when for the last few games frame rate mattered and lower resolution was fine as long as the frame rate was better... we are all goin around in circles! Hehe.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Let's look at all the PlayStation 5 vs Xbox Series X loading times.

This list only includes NATIVE next gen releases.

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1+2

Source: Digital Founry

Marvel's Avengers
XSS - 7.86
XSX - 6.43
PS5 - 5.09

Crash Bandicoot 4
" Slightly faster loading times on PS5." (No time shown)
Source:
ElAnalistaDeBits

Mortal Kombat 11
XSX - 6.10
PS5 - 5.86

Destiny 2
XSX - 28.34
PS5 - 27:56

Mortal Shell Enhanced Edition
XSS - 12:06
XSX - 11:59
PS5 - 11:15

Control
XSS - 11:35
XSX - 11:38
PS5 - 11:41

Assassins Creed Valhalla
XSS - 27:17
XSX - 26:48
PS5 - 23:30

Hitman 3
XSS - 8:06
XSX - 7:53
PS5 - 07:18

There's more, but....

This is a lie. Only argument you have is in BC titles, which doesn't take advantage of the PS5 I/O hardware.
Great list. So the avg native next gen version loads about 1 second faster than Xbox. Of course you omit the BC games.

Actually between the reveal and maybe until May I guess Microsoft themselves keep saying the Series X was more powerful than PS5 in official PR.
They did fueled the FUD Xbox fans.

I don't blame Xbox fans for that... they are just like us PS fans... it is just the deceptive marketing that support the way they act... if you create a marketing strategy with FUD your fans will keep spreading FUD.
Whats more ridiculous is people believed phil spencers marketing more than cerny a battle hardened industrial computer engineer whose been in the industry before i was born! And most of these fanboys where born, even digital foundry called him a liar! After what he produced with the ps4 to call him a liar was extremely disrespectful.

One thing that is weird, is it is true....suddenly resolution matters in this thread when for the last few games frame rate mattered and lower resolution was fine as long as the frame rate was better... we are all goin around in circles! Hehe.
The game has higher minimum res on ps5 and locked framerates wo whats your point

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Great list. So the avg native next gen version loads about 1 second faster than Xbox. Of course you omit the BC games.

This is why people shake their head when debating you.

BC ignores the dedicated I/O hardware, but you don't want to accept that because it destroys your narrative.

The dedicated hardware is what really makes the loading times fast, not the SSD itself. You guys just keep getting desperate. lol

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This is why people shake their head when debating you.

BC ignores the dedicated I/O hardware, but you don't want to accept that because it destroys your narrative.

The dedicated hardware is what really makes the loading times fast, not the SSD itself. You guys just keep getting desperate. lol
Thanks for the explanation. Good to know PS5's I/O leads to loading times about 1 second faster than Xbox on next gen games despite an SSD more than double as fast.

Great to hear MK11 and Htman 3 on PS5 load 0.34 and 0.35 seconds faster.

If you're going to rush a list war, at least fill in Tony Hawk's results. lol

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1+2

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Thanks for the explanation. Good to know PS5's I/O leads to loading times about 1 second faster than Xbox on next gen games despite an SSD more than double as fast.

Great to hear MK11 and Htman 3 on PS5 load 0.34 and 0.35 seconds faster.

If you're going to rush a list war, at least fill in Tony Hawk's results. lol

Devs are barely tapping into the dedicated hardware, and engines are going to be built around it, unlike games are right now.

This has been explain many times by devs and DF, but you just want to go with your own conclusions. If you want people to take you seriously, then don't ignore that these people know more than you do.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Devs are barely tapping into the dedicated hardware, and engines are going to be built around it, unlike games are right now.

This has been explain many times by devs and DF, but you just want to go with your own conclusions. If you want people to take you seriously, then don't ignore that these people know more than you do.
Good point.

Now repeat those same lines to yourself and replace PS with Xbox.

Three

Oh you mean the people using what the devs said in their tweets?, blame the devs not users on here.

EDIT. My post in that thread by the way

Also your post from the other thread:

It never was if we are talking like 15 less frames from 20,000 frames, like a lot of the comparisons have been so far.
Funny that. Why are you kicking up a stink now?

Last edited:

Stuart360

Also your post from the other thread:

Funny that. Why are you kicking up a stink now?
I'm not?. If one version has a significant resolution advantage 100% of the time, vs another version that has lower resolution but like 20 frames extra from 20,000 tested, then resolution wins every time, and i have never changed that stance.

bender

What time is it?

Ps5.
cKdVbNH.jpg

Series x
9j4TbkH.jpg

Series X can't even render the cross on the button prompt properly.

Three

I'm not?. If one version has a significant resolution advantage 100% of the time, vs another version that has lower resolution but like 20 frames extra from 20,000 tested, then resolution wins every time, and i have never changed that stance.
So you're saying PS5 has the advantage here? why are you then trying to kick up a stink with posts like this in this thread now
So happy that certain sections have clarrified that framerate is king and nothing else matters with these comparisons.
Another one for XSX then

DW5z.gif

If you have some issue with somebody specific changing their stance say it, it's not hard to prove. Don't bring out the persecution complex.

Stuart360

So you're saying PS5 has the advantage here? why are you then trying to kick up a stink with posts like this in this thread now

If you have some issue with somebody specific changing their stance say it, it's not hard to prove. Don't bring out the persecution complex.
Just pointing out the hypocrisy and goal post changing from comparison to comparison. I obviously hit a nerve, probably because what i said was true. I'll keep pointing out the hypocrisy when i see it too, so if i trigger you too much, please put me on ignore. No one likes hypocrisy when it comes back and bites you on the arse, we all know that.

As for this game, well i said a 'significant rez jump' which this isnt, but yes i'd give this one to PS5.

EDit, Also we have 50 of those 'Another One' silly posts in every comparison thread, so not sure why mine triggered you so much.

Last edited:

Three

Just pointing out the hypocrisy and goal post changing from comparison to comparison. I obviously hit a nerve, probably because what i said was true. I'll keep pointing out the hypocrisy when i see it too, so if i trigger you too much, please put me on ignore. No one likes hypocrisy when it comes back and bites you on the arse, we all know that.

As for this game, well i said a 'significant rez jump' which this isnt, but yes i'd give this one to PS5.
You've not hit a nerve but you and Concern and some other posters are kicking up a stink about hypocrisy and persecution only when that other thread is no longer true to claim "the win".

If you have issue with some poster saying something like nothing else matters then contradicting it here it's easy to prove and point out. That didn't seem like your intention though. Seemed like you and the rest were a little salty and just trying to say "another one for XSX" based on framerate and some persecution complex.

Stuart360

You've not hit a nerve but you and Concern and some other posters are kicking up a stink about hypocrisy and persecution only when that other thread is no longer true to claim "the win".

If you have issue with some poster saying something like nothing else matters then contradicting it here it's easy to prove and point out. That didn't seem like your intention though. Seemed like you and the rest were a little salty and just trying to say "another one for XSX" based on framerate and some persecution complex.
The 'Another One' memes are just banter, and both sides post them in every thread. As for the other bit about framerate, every comparison so far, even the ones where XSX has a significant rez jump, PS5 has always been pronounced the 'winner' because of a tiny few frames etc from like 20k frames. Now with this game, the roles reversed and rez was important again. Thats the hypocrisy, you cant have it both ways and swap around when it suits there system of choice.

Also try not to take things so seriously, the majority of posts are banter. I dont actually care which version is better, and its going to swap through the whole gen. Just no need for cringe goal post changing when it suits people.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The 'Another One' memes are just banter, and both sides post them in every thread. As for the other bit about framerate, every comparison so far, even the ones where XSX has a significant rez jump, PS5 has always been pronounced the 'winner' because of a tiny few frames etc from like 20k frames. Now with this game, the roles reversed and rez was important again. Thats the hypocrisy, you cant have it both ways and swap around when it suits there system of choice.

Also try not to take things so seriously, the majority of posts are banter. I dont actually care which version is better, and its going to swap through the whole gen. Just no need for cringe goal post changing when it suits people.

I'm not even gonna play this game for free, but this thread and other comparison threads are so entertaining, most of the time more entertaining than the games being discussed. And yes, it's pure banter and laughs, no need for anyone to get worked up.

Last edited:

Stuart360

I'm not even gonna play this game for free, but this there and other comparison threads are so entertaining, most of the time more entertaining than the games being discussed. And yes, it's pure banter and laughs, no need for anyone to get worked up.
I'll try the game when it comes to Steam. Did quite like them in my youth lol. Probably will be useless at them now.
As for this thread, yep lol. Dirt 5 (which i do actually own and quite like) and a few other smaller games that have produced huge threads with people arguing over a game that 90% of them dont even own lol.

Concern

Pretty sure everyone knows what you were implying. Nice backtrack though. Not an attempt at baiting, you aren't that special.

Good for you. You can quit derailing now and save yourself from further embarrassment lol. Im pretty special considering so many "neo" members love mentioning me.

Cheers 😉

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I'll try the game when it comes to Steam. Did quite like them in my youth lol. Probably will be useless at them now.
As for this thread, yep lol. Dirt 5 (which i do actually own and quite like) and a few other smaller games that have produced huge threads with people arguing over a game that 90% of them dont even own lol.

I think I used to play it back on PS1, I used to play many different games like basketball, baseball games etc even though they're not part of our culture. But that lemonball (aka American football) is so confusing and couldn't play it for long enough. :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

Obligatory _ From the other thread:

SX more powerful gpu on show here. :messenger_smiling:

1440/1080 = 33% . some people laughed at me about the 30% range i said before. :messenger_smiling:

Looking I See You GIF by Shark Week

Where are those sony fanboys? 😕 thought they'd be here by now.

Wait a second....

Does this mean the Series S is also going to be 1080p/120fps?🤔🤔🤔

Series x destroys ps5

Another one!

Xbox resolution king!

Nobody should be surprised, Xbox GPU is on a whole different level, this is how the rest of the generation will be and it will be

dcmk7

Banned

EDit, Also we have 50 of those 'Another One' silly posts in every comparison thread, so not sure why mine triggered you so much.

Do you genuinely believe that the goal posts are being moved on just one particular side?

Because from what I understand on GAF is that everyone is as bad as each other and it doesn't take long to dismantle some spurious claims.

Top Bottom