• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG Tech PS5 vs XSX patch, performance drops to ps5 1368p and XSX 1080p (AC Valhalla)

WTF are you talking about? This game has dynamic TOD and weather, of course it's going to look different and I'm surprised they were able to match both versions so good in this comparisons.

You used some crap screengrabs and people are wasting their time commenting them (including me right now). It's confirmed that PS5 has higher resolution than XSX, deal with it.
That guy is full of it, talking about "details" in images taken from half/quarter resolution screenshots.... and even then not being able to see straight (I mean the details he is talking about are not even there on his posted images).

I request some red arrows to point out the differences... oh he did it, and it doesn't make more sense.
The scene here has the same weather affects.; How can the weather be causing that? It's the same scene and place exactly.
You can't see straight, or you see what you want to see.

You should not be allowed to comment in that kind of threads.

1606562314-20201128-121011.jpg
1606562234-20201128-121021.jpg
That guy John is exchanging with (I was gonna type arguing, but Gandalf clearly can't do this).... Gandalf is retarded.

If this was the case why wouldn't Microsoft make sure their version ran better before release? Why wait until release get a load of bad publicity and then decide to tell Ubisoft to gimp the PS5 version 🤷🏼‍♀️

Lol, they probably thought it looked great. Have you seen the state they were going to release Infinite in? It's pretty obvious that the execs at MS are not gamers. Phil thought Halo looked great because it was in 4K. Who cares about all the PS3/360 textures and models, it's in 4K, so = great looking.

Last edited:

Md Ray

I just highlighting noticeable difference in lighting. Even a change in resolution does not make all the versions the same. You can see clearly the corner edge of the mountain is illuminated on the series and in shadow on the Series S and PS5. It's seem to occur in other scenes too.
All three versions have the same lighting. There's dynamic day/night cycle in this game so all three can look very different from each other or identical.

Elios83

Thank god I'm not playing this game until I'm done with Spiderman and Demon's Souls :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Btw the confusion around what this patch has done is incredible.
Seems like everyone has a different opinion. Great, no they ruined it, it seemed good but it's now 1080p, after careful analysis is pretty much the same....just LOL!
In any case seems like Ubisoft needs at least an other round at polishing.

Last edited:

SSfox

Imo Halo Infinite was already a testament on Xbox SX performances being below ps5's. We all got baited by those 12 teraflops (including ps fans), but then again the truth is there is much more others things that define performances of a hardware.

You can't say who's best fighter by only see who has more muscles, just like you can't say which car would win a race based only on horsepower, and it's the same case with consoles performances that can't be judged only based on tfs counts, and results already started showing.

Don't get me wrong Xbox Serie X is a nice beast, tho PS5 is even more a nicer of a beast.

Last edited:

Evilms

Banned
Imo Halo Infinite was already a testament on Xbox SX performances being below ps5's. We all got baited by those 12 teraflops (including ps fans), but then again the truth is there is much more others things that define performances of a hardware.

You can't say who's best fighter by only see who has more muscles, just like you can't say which car would win a race based only on horsepower, and it's the same case with consoles performances that can't be judged only based on tfs counts, and results already started showing.

Don't get me wrong Xbox Serie X is a nice beast, tho PS5 is even more a nicer of a beast.
well said
1581967924-94146.jpeg

GHG

No he shouldn't ruin his mental health. It's not worth it. If he can't bear it, he should block the guys.

No, actually responding to these idiots and putting them in their place is far better for your mental health than avoiding it and letting it fester in your mind.

If you're going to be on social media you should deal with people head on. If you don't want to do that then it's probably best to get off social media entirely.

Armorian

Banned

Halo is just showing that it was targeting X1 60 FPS, it would look like shit on any hardware with assets like that.

On paper XSX has ~18% more powerful GPU, slighty better CPU speed and higher memory BW. In reality both consoles are probably very close to each other and performance could be better on worse depending on type of rendering in the scene. Face offs will be interesting again after boring PS4/X1 generation :messenger_savoring: PS5 is probably more efficient and can be utilized at peak performance without much bottlenecks, it's probably not that easy to fully use XSX GPU in game rendering. Tools might improve this slighty but I doubt much will change.

Last edited:

I wonder how long they will wait for the patches and tools to show up and "resolve" the situation. How often does one need to be wrong before they change their attitude. I mean, before release if you argued the xsx would outperform the PS5, but there would be so little difference it would not matter much, even if the full 20% was to materialize, some of them would come back at you like you said something completely unreasonable and the actual diff was going to be over 40% without RT on the PS5--even though we had see RT on PS5 and not on the xsx).

Clearly if the xsx had some innate technical advantage it would have been reflected in the games by now, or at least MS would have shown something to hint at it, not just more PR to fuel the console wars.

No, actually responding to these idiots and putting them in their place is far better for your mental health than avoiding it and letting it fester in your mind.

If you're going to be on social media you should deal with people head on. If you don't want to do that then it's probably best to get off social media entirely.
John clearly isn't made for this, I saw him having a breakdown here a couple of months ago, this is not a jab, just an observation. So he should definitely learn not to care so much, or stay away from comments/twitter/forums... but in his case I don't think it helps him to take them head on, also when you are this prominent the sheer amount probably seem overwhelming, our brains are hardwired to point us in the direction of what's not right, so it is daunting on many... and this is not like a real problem that you gain something by fixing it.

While I don't always like the style DF has, I also think they are right in saying that they are stuck in the middle of the console wars, they can't please everyone.

BootsLoader

Banned
I wish people will stop buying so many Garbagesoft games. Stop buying the assassins creed marketing bullshit. I don’t understand what’s happening with them. They don’t give a shit or something? A patch that make consoles perform worse? Did they even test it?

ReBurn

Gold Member
I wish people will stop buying so many Garbagesoft games. Stop buying the assassins creed marketing bullshit. I don’t understand what’s happening with them. They don’t give a shit or something? A patch that make consoles perform worse? Did they even test it?
It's ok that people buy Ubisoft games. A lot of people like them and that's ok.

What's completely stupid is people using Ubisoft games for the purpose of "my toy is better than your toy" fanboy battles. Yes folks, let's take games from a company that regularly targets the lowest common denominators in cross platform engine development and use the games on those engines to argue about 3 FPS differences in the rare cases it happens. "My favorite box runs this turd better so obviously it's more powerful!" The whole thing is stupid.

kevm3

The two machines perform fairly similarly. It's pretty sad that we're sitting here cheering over this or that game having a slightly sharper image or slightly more frames, things that most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference of unless they were looking for it and the versions were side by side.

Seems like the X box takes a more brute force approach to things, where as the PS5 is a machine with more finesse, and the end result is that most of these games are ending up looking and performing quite similarly.

BootsLoader

Banned
It's ok that people buy Ubisoft games. A lot of people like them and that's ok.

What's completely stupid is people using Ubisoft games for the purpose of "my toy is better than your toy" fanboy battles. Yes folks, let's take games from a company that regularly targets the lowest common denominators in cross platform engine development and use the games on those engines to argue about 3 FPS differences in the rare cases it happens. "My favorite box runs this turd better so obviously it's more powerful!" The whole thing is stupid.
To be honest I don’t care that much about fanboy wars. Sometimes I am making fun of it but generally I don’t care. What I care about is a company releasing garbage games and people still buying them. It’s a re skin of the previous game with different settings.
I watched some YouTube videos with gameplay etc and OMG even the animations are sooo outdated. For a high profile company like Shitbisoft this is not expected. But what do I know? It comes to each individual person, personal tastes, expectations from a game, value of time etc. I can’t play a game just to play it or just because it’s a franchise I’m used to, it doesn’t make sense for me.
Anyways, just my two cents. Ignore me.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Do you have any proof that they didn't?
This is obviously just my assumption (just like you have yours) based on the facts that this is a game that MS had an exclusive marketing deal with Ubisoft and the game ended up running worse on their console than on PS5.
MS got ridiculed due to the game running worse on "the most powerful console ever" (a phrase that their marketing has been heavily promoting for a while now) and then suddenly a patch comes out that makes the PS5 version perform worse than it did before.

So yeah excuse me if i'm a bit suspicious on what happened behind the scenes especially since MS is known for forcing parity. I remember back in the Xbox360 days when they said they will refuse to allow a game to come out for their console if it run worse than the competition.
Your the one making accusations without any evidence to prove your right. There is minimal difference , the game has bugs. Maybe the patch bugged the game and will be fixed.

maybe the bugs just were that bad in the SX version that it’s massivly fixed a lot of things.

Concern

Your the one making accusations without any evidence to prove your right. There is minimal difference , the game has bugs. Maybe the patch bugged the game and will be fixed.

maybe the bugs just were that bad in the SX version that it’s massivly fixed a lot of things.

Makes stupid conspiracy theories then asks for proof why its not 🤦🏻‍♂️. Making stupid accusations like that should be addressed accordingly.

ethomaz

Banned
Even though the thread title cleverly omits the game title, this is actually a comparison of a game, not of the consoles. If you have a PS5 and want the best performance, you should not download this patch is what he said. The reasons for the discrepancy can be many, but probably Ubisoft increased the quality settings a bit too much in the patch.
The IQ quality is lower with the patch in PS5.
That is not the case.

ethomaz

Banned
So it appears that the PS5 would benefit from more DRS flexibility as well, given all the torn frames.

The only thing this patch really confirms is that this game/engine is an unoptimized mess. I'd normally recommend playing it on PC if you have the graphics horsepower, but it runs like shit there too.
It was paying fine when limited to 1440p in DRS.... now it is limited to 1080p but it barely needs to go below 1440p.

The issue is that they fucked something in both image quality and performance on PS5.

Well, that's his job. I don't think he has the choice.

llien

Why is it so low on the xobx?

It feels as if someone has fun watching meltdowns on forums.
In short: because it has higher framerate in those scenes, it's apples to oranges again, just what you'd expect from FUD:

41ZcGKY.png

God knows if there are other differences, e.g. geometry complexity, textures, whatever.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Resolution is not the only quality setting.
That is why I said IQ quality and not resolution. They turned down the quality of the image on PS5.

The resolution had very little downgrade.

Before the patch PS5 had better IQ, better resolution, 98% of time in 60fps and very little tearing.

They just need to rollback the patch on PS5 and call a day to have the best IQ, resolution and performance version by a big margin in the consoles.

Last edited:

FALCON_KICK

Remember when everyone swore framerate was king regardless of resolution?

It seems like it was less than two months ago. 😅

Are you talking about Xbox One X vs PS4 Pro comparison, then Xbox One X was a relatively better console, so higher resolution with higher or equal frame-rate is always better than lower resolution with equal frame-rate. Rockstar's RDR 2 proved it. Mark Cerny should have invested more effort wrt PS4 Pro.

With the new consoles support for VRR, resolution would be more important than a fluctuating frame-rate of anything above 30fps.

Unlike many Xbox fans who bought the Xbox Series X believing the Microsoft marketing lies of "better on series x" "optimized for series x" "most powerful console" "native 4k UHD stamp"and fell for power narrative and now having buyer's remorse, I am not.

People who bought Xbox Series X believing the misleading marketing lies about power can initiate a class-action lawsuit against Microsoft.

Consoles are not just hardware that exist in vacuum, they are machines built mainly for playing games first and foremost, so it is amount of quality games that defines that console. It is the reason PS4, Switch are successful. All the SSD tech and 12 TF at the end of the day don't matter, if the games on those machines are not great.

And I am Playstation fan for the sole reason that Sony has mostly stayed true to their promise to support their console for 10 years. If you want me to criticize Sony, then I do that too. You can check my post in Gamer Nexus thread about temperature.

Last edited:
Also lol @ That title.
You could also write: XSX has a much higher average FPS compared to PS5 and much less screen tearing, and mostly the same Resolution, but hey let’s focus on super rare dip in res for XSX

With the new consoles support for VRR, resolution would be more important than a fluctuating frame-rate of anything above 30fps.

PS5 does not support VRR. Only XSX and XSS support VRR.

Last edited:

cebri.one

Also lol @ That title.
You could also write: XSX has a much higher average FPS compared to PS5 and much less screen tearing, and mostly the same Resolution, but hey let’s focus on super rare dip in res for XSX

PS5 does not support VRR. Only XSX and XSS support VRR.

How do you make this stuff up? The average FPS difference is 0.4 or something like that.

edit: 0.31 fps is much higher? do you even maths?

EFVts4u.jpg

Last edited:

Allandor

PS5 in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest native resolution found being approximately 2432x1368.

Xbox Series X in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest native resolution found being 1920x1080.

Discuss. Seems the patch made ps5 worse, and almost halved the lowest resolution on XSX, WTF ubi

Well, they added new effects (patch notes) but both systems had some performance issues in some cases. So if the res drops more on PS5 (as it is dynamic) it should just drop because the performance would otherwise be worse (simple as that).
But after all, this is just a quick patch to get rid of the worst performance problems and tearing. Lowering bottom resolution target is not really an optimization, just a quick fix.

After all it should be like in the other titles, the xbox is underperforming. Take measuring device of your choice behind the xbox and you will see that the system does not draw much power at all. This just indicates the soc is not really under load and is idling around. MS must really fix their tools, so developers can reach max load on the chip.

PS: The low power-consumption is just and indicator that something is wrong and does not prove anything. But it is really odd that the power-consumption is as low as it is in third party games. Even BC games draw more power than native third party games.

Tiamat2san

Well, since the patch I play on quality mode.
I like 60fps games but in Valhalla, I found it was weird., floaty
Something like the animations were sped up, something felt wrong.

in Spider-Man remaster and miles morales I play on 30fps too but for ray tracing.
In demon’s souls I’ll play in 60fps because it’s more useful.

i guess it really depends on the game for me.

Top Bottom