• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG Tech PS5 vs XSX patch, performance drops to ps5 1368p and XSX 1080p (AC Valhalla)

geordiemp

PS5 in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest native resolution found being approximately 2432x1368.

Xbox Series X in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest native resolution found being 1920x1080.

Discuss. Seems the patch made ps5 worse, and almost halved the lowest resolution on XSX, WTF ubi

Last edited:
Me in the Court of Public Console War Opinion:
uJuMhZR.jpg

They did what Digital Foundry said they would do. That's how they fixed screen tearing on the XSX.

With that said it seems like they took the easy way out with this title. It was probably the fastest way to get rid of the screen tearing. I'm surprised they didn't lower the resolution on tbe PS5 version to eliminate the little screen tearing that was left.

Makes sense, they've just increased the dynamism of the resolution so that Xbox suffers a bit in resolution rather than frame rate.

The good thing is that the drops to the minimum resolution are rare. I personally believe that they made a good choice with this quick fix. However they should work on improving this game on both consoles.

How did the PS5 win? They literally talked about the PS5 maintaining a higher resolution at the cost of performance. Like did you just read the headline and then post?

I read that the new patch causes some issues with the PS5s performance. A reinstall seems to fix it. I don't know if VGTech did that.

Last edited:

vpance

Bit more info

Xbox Series X in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest native resolution found being 1920x1080. Xbox Series X in Performance Mode rarely renders at a native resolution of 3840x2160 and drops in resolution down to 1920x1080 seem to be uncommon.

In scenes such as 8:14 the PS5 in Performance Mode runs at a higher native resolution than the Xbox Series X in Performance Mode but with worse performance. However, in many scenes the PS5 and Xbox Series X render at a very similar resolution in Performance Mode.

PS5 and Xbox Series X in Quality Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest native resolution found being approximately 3552x1998. On both consoles in Quality Mode drops in resolution below 3840x2160 seem to be uncommon.

Last edited:
How did the PS5 win? They literally talked about the PS5 maintaining a higher resolution at the cost of performance. Like did you just read the headline and then post?

Because at no point did it need to drop down to 2 million pixels. Its lowest pixel count was 3.3 million. To claw back 5 or 6 fps wouldn't require such a large drop in resolution for PS5 but it looked like it was necessary for Series X which is why it DRS goes back to 1080p for that platform.

I haven’t played the game yet but from what I remember from the DF and NXgamer analysis (pre-patch) this seems worse.

it sounded like both consoles held around 1620p with some dips to 1440p but maintained solid FPS before, right? Or no?

Is this the cost of fixing screen tearing? I don’t know why it would be

JonkyDonk

And performance > resolution, always.

The thread was clearly created with a "PS5 wins again" slant, but it's been very obviously broken and those stats are absolutely brutal.
Did you even watch the video? The PS5 still holds 60 almost all the time with very rare dips at a higher resolution than XSX. Before the patch when the resolutions were the same, PS5 was noticeably performing better. All they've done is reduce the resolution on XSX to make them more equal in performance, and it still had a few drops despite being able to go to 1080p.

Last edited:
Because at no point did it need to drop down to 2 million pixels. Its lowest pixel count was 3.3 million. To claw back 5 or 6 fps wouldn't require such a large drop in resolution for PS5 but it looked like it was necessary for Series X which is why it DRS goes back to 1080p for that platform.
See below
Weird you'd focus on dynamic resolution targets but not mention anything about performance in a performance mode.

O2Jh8KC.jpg

Now PS5 has almost 3x as much tearing as XsX and FPS drops to 51, compared to 57.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
And performance > resolution, always.

The thread was clearly created with a "PS5 wins again" slant, but it's been very obviously broken and those stats are absolutely brutal.
Fine, I just wish you guys said the same when PS4 PRO had better performance on many titles last gen. DF always gave the edge to XBONEX with higher resolution, let's see what they say this time..... Should be a fallback to performance for this edge case.... Can't wait..

geordiemp

I know you're excited, but you didn't even remember to add what game it is in the title.

It is part of the mystery of the mysterons. :messenger_sunglasses: Maybe a mod will fix it,

Its been a long day and not got my glasses on and you cant edit titles lol

Last edited:
Did you even watch the video? The PS5 still holds 60 almost all the time with very rare dips at a higher resolution than XSX. Before the patch when the resolutions were the same, PS5 was noticeably performing better. All they've done is reduce the resolution on XSX to make them more equal in performance, and it still had a few drops despite being able to drop to 1080p.

bVYoGGn.jpg

These are the stats from the video.

Look at the torn frames.

Look at the 16.67ms frame time count.

PS5 is performing worse here than XsX did pre-patch.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I haven’t played the game yet but from what I remember from the DF and NXgamer analysis (pre-patch) this seems worse.

it sounded like both consoles held around 1620p with some dips to 1440p but maintained solid FPS before, right? Or no?

Is this the cost of fixing screen tearing? I don’t know why it would be

To maintain the frame rate better the DRS is more aggressive meaning it drops farther.

skneogaf

Looking at those stats the ps5 also needs to drop to 1920x1080 as 51 fps is awful, especially without vrr.

On a side not I've never heard of a game needing to change between 3840x2160 (8,294,400 pixels) to 1920x1080 (2,073,600 pixels) so this has to be a first and the best example of how bad their engine performance is.

So what is your point here, did the PS5 become weaker all of a sudden?

No?

Nobody is arguing about weaker or stronger.

The PS5 version of this game has been broken to the point it's performing worse than Series X did before the patch. The OP started the thread in haste thinking he had a console war win, but didn't even bother to notice that PS5 now has obscene screen tearing and spends even less time at 60fps than Series S does.

Basically, PS5 needs to drop to 1080p too.

Top Bottom