• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VG Tech] Forspoken PS5 Frame Rate Test (Demo)

Tripolygon

Banned
Waiting for people to be mention how PS5 isn’t next gen because it’s resolution isn’t 4K… same energy as XSS you know?
Temporal image reconstruction has been the swan song since checkerboard rendering first made an appearance last gen.

Never really cared much for "native" 4K. It was never the determination for what next gen consoles were. I still maintain that the S should have been at least 6TF and matching the RAM size as the X.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I'll just like to take this moment to highlight how utterly idiotic these discussions a few months ago were with regards to FSR2 on PS5 in this game.
I remember these comments as well and they were indeed based on this "belief" spread by rumor mongers and DigitalFoundry's Alex Battaglia that the PS5 uses "an inferior GPU without a RDNA2 featureset", so it shouldn't run FSR2 because it uses.. checks notes.. compute shaders.

Imtjnotu

FFXVI is using modified FFXIV engine I think. Still much better than this trash LOL.
No it's the luminous engine from final fantasy 15. The same engine that kingdom hearts 3 had to change away from in the middle of development for unreal engine 4. Nomura said it had to do with development difficulties.

I still have the FF15 Demo on my ps4 and pro. That engine demo looked amazing and ran like dog shit. The final release of the game looked like dog shit and ran like it.

The engine is the issue here and as far as I know, this is the only active game in development for SE using this engine.

Pretty sure FF7 is being made om UE5

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
No it's the luminous engine from final fantasy 15. The same engine that kingdom hearts 3 had to change away from in the middle of development for unreal engine 4. Nomura said it had to do with development difficulties.

I still have the FF15 Demo on my ps4 and pro. That engine demo looked amazing and ran like dog shit. The final release of the game looked like dog shit and ran like it.

The engine is the issue here and as far as I know, this is the only active game in development for SE using this engine.

This and FFXV are Luminous Engine

FFXVI is the XIV ver++ Engine.

FFVIIR is Unreal Engine.

Last edited:
Was giving him the benefit of the doubt because being happy for a game being an exclusive is stupid as fuck.
Exactly...lol

If You Say So Shrug GIF

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

John says the lighting in the Forspoken demo is a step down from FFXV on last gen.

Why do I have a feeling this was also going to be a cross-gen game that was shoehorned to next-gen only later in development.

that's not the point, many people said you can't call a console that drops to 720p a next gen console.

and here we are, a game that drops to 720p on PS5, and even in the 30fps modes can go down to 820p

Well I mean there's no such thing as next gen consoles to begin with.

🤷‍♂️

Now how the Series S would handle this title is up to you to decide.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
FFXVI is using modified FFXIV engine I think. Still much better than this trash LOL.

You just said the same thing I said lol

Must be my comprehension going wonky.

Bojji Bojji says FFXVI is using XVI ver++.
You then say and I quote: No it's the luminous engine from final fantasy 15. The same engine that kingdom hearts 3 had to change away from in the middle of development for unreal engine 4. Nomura said it had to do with development difficulties.

So I corrected you that FFXVI is using XIV ver++.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper

FF7R seems to be one budget level lower than FF15 and FF16 though. Same goes for Kingdom Hearts.

Unreal is a fucking amazing engine all things considered. Versatile and seemingly easy to develop for both Western and Eastern developers.
This so much. I can't believe people still speak the nonsense SlimeGooGoo SlimeGooGoo said. Unreal Engine is a fucking beast of how powerful and user-friendly it is. Just look how fast the development for FF7R was (both part 1 after they scrapped the old project and took it in-house, and part 2). UE5 is a no-brainer for younger and inexperienced/inspiring developers.

Last edited:

Luipadre

Image reconstruction is such important tech for this gen. It's going to keep getting better as the gen goes on. I don't care if the game is at an internal resolution of 540p, as long as it presents a relatively sharp image in the end, it's all gravy.

but this game looks ass in motion

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Do you think Fortnite RT Hardware looks bad??

Yes, vegetation always look bad.

This so much. I can't believe people still speak the nonsense SlimeGooGoo SlimeGooGoo said. Unreal Engine is a fucking beast of how powerful and user-friendly it is. Just look how fast the development for FF7R was (both part 1 after they scrapped the old project and took it in-house, and part 2). UE5 is a no-brainer for younger and inexperienced/inspiring developers.
Great, now we have game engine fanboys.

MarkMe2525

but this game looks ass in motion
Ok... I was speaking in general terms. As far as this specific game, I have seen more stable IQ but it's far from "ass". I believe that many of the negative responses have been exaggerated, but you are allowed to think differently. Personally, I won't be playing this game so no skin off my back.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
True but I really hope the final product is much better.

Considering its a demo releasing just under a month before release, I think the odds are high this is just a gated chunk of the final game (especially considering the gigantic 30GB install size).

Considering its a demo releasing just under a month before release, I think the odds are high this is just a gated chunk of the final game (especially considering the gigantic 30GB install size).

Well hopefully its an old build. But to be fair it is their old engine. Hopefully their UE titles far much better Mr Testicals.

Aaron Olive

that's not the point, many people said you can't call a console that drops to 720p a next gen console.

and here we are, a game that drops to 720p on PS5, and even in the 30fps modes can go down to 820p
But we know it’s not the hardware, we know it’s the game engine. we’ve seen other better looking and performing games on the same hardware so we know what’s going on.

I feel like if they want to save this project they need to delay it again and port it to a superior engine. Otherwise money down the drain for Sony and Square.

Last edited:
Forsaken was a fun demo and the visuals were fine, if nothing exceptional, but if I buy this then it will be on PC for sure and not PS5. I must admit to being a bit surprised at the low resolutions in this game because it is certainly nowhere near as good looking as, say, Horizon: Forbidden West on PS5 and that has a solid 60 fps Performance mode with a higher than 1440p resolution and a, correct me if I'm wrong, a native 4K 30 fps Quality mode that was later updated to support 40 fps at the same resolution. 720p-1080p for this game is, quite frankly, a bit of a shocker not to mention baffling. Maybe it's the Luminous engine the game is using that isn't suited to the PS5's architecture?

GymWolf

John says the lighting in the Forspoken demo is a step down from FFXV on last gen.

Why do I have a feeling this was also going to be a cross-gen game that was shoehorned to next-gen only later in development.

It is more than a feeling considered how the game looks.

2017 horizon legit looks better.

SABRE220

Honestly feels like a budget, and talent issue more than even the engine. It seems SE put the C team on the game and it shows. The luminous engine while inefficient comparatively still produced amazing visuals in the past. The premier team is producing visuals that absolutely trounce forspoken with what was considered an inferior more limited in-house engine (ff14 engine). I mean even FF15 maxed out on PC produced better visuals especially in terms of consistency with much better performance on hardware inferior to the next gen consoles, it seems John from DF mentioned this.

This just seems a shoddy effort all around. I think people would be more forgiving for a new team facing issues if they didn't essentially turn to the last gen dark arts aka shitty dishonest marketing practices with fake slices like this
https://cdn.pocket-lint.com/r/s/120...date-platforms-and-more-image1-ujlzwtyobr.jpg
When the final game is nowhere even close to the same fidelity...I mean even that vertical slice isn't exactly beyond the potential/capability of the consoles. They could have honestly reused the FF15 assets/tools with improvements and it would have still turned out better. I

Last edited:
Lol no they are not.

No magic effect on the demo is impressive enough to have such shitty res and performances, and i played the demo for like 5 hours and have the game preordered since forever, so hardly an hater.

The fire is nothing special and the rock are just...rocks? What impressive effects have you saw in the demo? You don't even have the water\ice ones that look the best graphically in all the trailers.

Nope, totally disagree. I'm judging not just from the demo, but from what has been shown in the gameplay trailers leading up to this point, which is almost certainly guaranteed to be in the game. The magic effects work in this game is some of the best I've seen in a game in a very long time.

This game feels damn good to play, and I think a far better game is here than what people are giving it credit for. I always actually attempt to find these things out for myself and never let negativity dissuade me from giving a game a chance. I also don't hold each and every game to the standard of another game because then you're just killing your enjoyment of games overall. One game might have a more impressive implementation of a specific feature or idea, vastly superior in some cases, but that alone is no reason to dismiss what the other game brings to the table overall.

I think Forspoken, while it won't be for everyone, will end up a hit for people who legitimately give it a chance.

GymWolf

Nope, totally disagree. I'm judging not just from the demo, but from what has been shown in the gameplay trailers leading up to this point, which is almost certainly guaranteed to be in the game. The magic effects work in this game is some of the best I've seen in a game in a very long time.

This game feels damn good to play, and I think a far better game is here than what people are giving it credit for. I always actually attempt to find these things out for myself and never let negativity dissuade me from giving a game a chance. I also don't hold each and every game to the standard of another game because then you're just killing your enjoyment of games overall. One game might have a more impressive implementation of a specific feature or idea, vastly superior in some cases, but that alone is no reason to dismiss what the other game brings to the table overall.

I think Forspoken, while it won't be for everyone, will end up a hit for people who legitimately give it a chance.
Agree to disagree, i played 5 hours on a lg c1 in quality mode and not a single effect n the demo wowed me, some looked downright meh, the best effect were not in the demo unfortunately.

For the bolded part, people already made up their minds about the game, just read this topic, 90% of people left after 5-10 min without even looking at the options to make the game better.

It is gonna bomb pretty hard but i'm doing my part, i'm always open for an infamous type of game even if it is probably gonna be a 7-6,5 game between the mediocre graphic, absolutely terrible writing, dull and empty open world, boring side activities etc, combat and traversal are the most important thing in a game like this and they are decent enough.

Last edited:
Top Bottom