• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vaporum - Steampunk Bioshock + Legend of Grimrock, PC, out now

Just learned about this today, looked quite promising

GolemPull_24fps.jpg

http://www.vaporum-game.com/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/629690/Vaporum/
https://www.gog.com/game/vaporum
$19.99, PC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWyt7pJhT6M

Vaporum is a grid-based, single-player & single-character dungeon crawler RPG seen from the first person perspective in an original steampunk setting. Inspired by old-school games like Dungeon Master I and II, the Eye of the Beholder series, and the most recent Legend of Grimrock I and II. Stranded in the middle of an ocean, in front of a gigantic tower, the hero has to find out what the place is, what happened there, and most importantly, who he is.

- Combat in Vaporum takes place in real time. Each enemy type has a distinctive set of strengths and weaknesses, and various kinds of attacks and defense mechanisms, so you have to employ different tactics to beat each one.

- Solve intriguing puzzles and level-wide objectives where you have to use both your wits and reflexes. While most puzzles and riddles are contained in a single room, progression objectives can span an entire level or even multiple levels.

- Instead of increasing the abilities of your human character, you will improve an exoskeleton rig you wear. The game combines a "you are what you wear" aspect with a long-term development of your exo-rig. The gadget-based system allows you change your loadout of gadgets at any time, giving you a great deal of flexibility to deal with various situations. On the other hand, as you progress, you get to unlock useful circuits on your exo-rig, gaining significant permanent attribute bonuses and passive skills.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

pa22word

This game is a ton of fun! A shame it seems to have legendarily bombed, less than 3k owners on steam =\

Anyone who dug grimrock should check this out, you'll be in for a fun time.

Sulik2

Real time combat is the mistake. It was too the detriment of grimlock and will hurt this game as well. Good grid based games like that work much better with turn based combat like might and Magic.

pa22word

Real time combat is the mistake. It was too the detriment of grimlock and will hurt this game as well. Good based games like that work much better with turn based combat like might and Magic.

Eh, there's no reason both styles can't exist at the same time. Grimrock isn't inherently worse than the MM games just because it's realtime, it's just different.

pa22word

I like Grimlock, but single character is a bummer for me

One thing I'll say about it is it certainly makes it unique. The gameplay forces you to be a lot more offensive and planning out your movement is a lot more important because you have to rely on a single character to do all your damage. It's makes the game pretty tense too, because one death and it's all over.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Eh, there's no reason both styles can't exist at the same time. Grimrock isn't inherently worse than the MM games just because it's realtime, it's just different.

Yeah, I loved how the real-time + grid combo emphasized movement and timely placement in Grimrock. It allowed you to stand a chance against stronger enemies without making it too easy to cheese the system.

Real time combat is the mistake. It was too the detriment of grimlock and will hurt this game as well. Good based games like that work much better with turn based combat like might and Magic.

*throws rock at teleporter leading to wall over pressure plate to trap door Sulik stands on*

DMiz

I've finished this, if anyone has any questions let me know.

General sense of the game?

I'm someone who didn't get through Legend of GrimRock at all because I wasn't used ot the genre... However, this looks stylistically right up my alley. I'm comfortable with stuff like Divinity: OS and its sequel and PoE, now that i've had some time away from Grimrock and more time to explore the genre - would I survive?

pa22word

I'm someone who didn't get through Legend of GrimRock at all because I wasn't used ot the genre... However, this looks stylistically right up my alley. I'm comfortable with stuff like Divinity: OS and its sequel and PoE, now that i've had some time away from Grimrock and more time to explore the genre - would I survive?

I'd say this one is a lot more accessible mechanically because of the single person set up. Games like Grimrock or Eye I think often scare people off because they start up and see the intimidating character creation screen and suddenly have to start balancing multiple people in a strange (nowadays) way of interacting with a game. This game I think is harder than Grimrock, but easier to get into. It just throws you into the world and you build your character in real time through rig building sort of like a Looking Glass game, which I think is much more familiar to people due to the mainstream success of games like Deus Ex, Bioshock, Dishonored, etc.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Well I would say that this game is more difficult then Grimrock (at least on normal, there are 5 difficulties total), if you struggled with Grimrock this isn't going to go any easier on you.

As for a general sense of the game, I personally had a great time with it.

pa22word

Playing more of it and I can't escape calling it mechanically a weird halfway point between Eye of the Beholder and Ultima Underworld that scratches fun itches of both. It's a really unique idea that fans of both games would enjoy I think.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
real time, grid based dungeon crawlers that are puzzle friendly are my jam. Thanks for posting.

pa22word

Op! You been playing this game? There's a nifty Stanislaw Lem reference hidden in one of the levels you might enjoy ;)

Top Bottom