• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Universal and Illumination are reportedly closing a deal to make a ‘LEGEND OF ZELDA’ movie, according to Insider Jeff Sneider

Draugoth

Gold Member
Universal Pictures has set its sights on The Legend of Zelda as its next big video game movie adaptation. According to Hollywood insider Jeff Sneider, Universal is in the process of closing a deal with Nintendo and the animation studio Illumination to make it happen.

"I'm told that Universal is, in fact, closing a 'big deal' with the Nintendo corporation for The Legend of Zelda," Sneider said on the latest episode of The Hot Mic podcast. "Zelda is looking like the next big Illumination-Nintendo franchise, which we were all sort of expecting. I'm told that is happening."
He went on to say that it will cost Universal a "pretty penny" following the massive success of The Super Marios Bros. Movie, which has raked in $1 billion worldwide on its way to becoming the highest-grossing video game movie adaptation.

Timestamp: 3:09

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Yep. Absolute no brainer, given how popular Super Mario Bros was. And it’s not hard to write a Zelda script that’ll be a really decent story. Ganondorf is a cracking villain, and there’s so much lore they can pull from. Should also be animated, and styled close to Breath Of The Wild. This will print money.

Last edited:

Doom85

And it’s not hard to write a Zelda script that’ll be a really decent story.

Not hard to fuck up a Zelda story?

Illumination:

challenge accepted training GIF

Seriously, for as average as it was in its script, at least Mario’s tone fits Illumination’s catalogue. Zelda, though?

this is gonna suck patton oswalt GIF by RJFilmSchool

Motherfuckers couldn’t even understand what makes Dr. Seuss stories great, I have zero confidence they can get Zelda right barring Nintendo getting so much creative control they force Ilumination’s execs to hire writers who aren’t high school dropouts.

MiguelItUp

I just saw the Mario movie a couple of days ago and was honestly pretty let down. The visuals were the best thing about it, along with the little Easter eggs. It was all so true to the source material. But everything else about it was SO forgettable IMO. It would've been better with a better director, and writer/script. If they approach Zelda the same way, I bet it'll make money, but the movie will probably be just as forgettable.

Last edited:
Illumination is the AIDs of the animation industry. I expect these movies to get worse if Nintendo starts loosening its grip on how the films are made.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I just saw the Mario movie a couple of days ago and was honestly pretty let down. The visuals were the best thing about it, along with the little Easter eggs. It was all so true to the source material. But everything else about it was SO forgettable IMO. It would've been better with a better director, and writer/script. If they approach Zelda the same way, I bet it'll make money, but the movie will probably be just as unforgettable.
Christian Bale Wtf GIF

Illumination is the AIDs of the animation industry. I expect these movies to get worse if Nintendo starts loosening its grip on how the films are made.
Pandora's box has been opened and inside was Illumination's writing. It's too late to close the box.

Maybe this one will have a plot
it’s not hard to write a Zelda script that’ll be a really decent story.
After Mario being a huge sucess, I can't even deny such a good move.
3ad039f9eece51a4f3383f404d7c9e4a.gif

Last edited:
Zelda is quickly becoming the flagship of Nintendo. At current time, I don't even know if Super Mario Brothers is as well received?

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I worry about this, zelda isn't some light hearted family comedy. I hope they find something thst works though, could make a great series of movies.

Esppiral

I hope they don't go the BOTW artsyle that would cement the look of comming games for a while and I much prefer the more realistic Twilight Princess art style

Disco Dave

ke5Bcy0.jpg

Whichever studio takes this project on will face a massive challenge to appease this fan base. Mario got criticism for not being progressive (I'm not going to link that shit) but the LoZ fanbase is a different animal altogether.

From the Polygon article;

"Link dressing in drag is also just one example of queerness in Breath of the Wild. Another is his very flirtatious banter with Prince Sidon, who’s widely considered to be a queer-coded character on his own. Although Link has to rescue Sidon’s sister from the Divine Beast Vah Ruta, it’s clear that there’s an emotional connection between these two men as well. Sidon calls Link his best friend and repeatedly talks about how much he believes in Link. He even carries Link to Vah Ruta on his own back, which makes it feel as if the characters are handling the first part of the boss fight together, with mutual trust and physical intimacy.

The relationship between Sidon and Link has been explored in all kinds of fan works since the game was released, including fanfiction ranging from a few thousand to hundreds of thousands of words per story, as well as mature comics and plenty of spicy fan art."

I would personally like to see Link whip out his Sheikah Slate and open his "Plenty of Hylians" app mid quest for an opportune booty call. Some slapper from Kakariko village dropping her drawers near Dantes graveyard would make for an interesting side quest.

Either way, I see a Hogwarts Legacy style boycott on the horizon...

Last edited:

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
ke5Bcy0.jpg

Whichever studio takes this project on will face a massive challenge to appease this fan base. Mario got criticism for not being progressive (I'm not going to link that shit) but the LoZ fanbase is a different animal altogether.

From the Polygon article;

"Link dressing in drag is also just one example of queerness in Breath of the Wild. Another is his very flirtatious banter with Prince Sidon, who’s widely considered to be a queer-coded character on his own. Although Link has to rescue Sidon’s sister from the Divine Beast Vah Ruta, it’s clear that there’s an emotional connection between these two men as well. Sidon calls Link his best friend and repeatedly talks about how much he believes in Link. He even carries Link to Vah Ruta on his own back, which makes it feel as if the characters are handling the first part of the boss fight together, with mutual trust and physical intimacy.

The relationship between Sidon and Link has been explored in all kinds of fan works since the game was released, including fanfiction ranging from a few thousand to hundreds of thousands of words per story, as well as mature comics and plenty of spicy fan art."

I would personally like to see Link whip out his Sheikah Slate and open his "Plenty of Hylians" app mid quest for an opportune booty call. Some slapper from Kakariko village dropping her drawers near Dantes graveyard would make for an interesting side quest.

Either way, I see a Hogwarts Legacy style boycott on the horizon...

hahahaha have they updated this after TOTK when he's with a woman? Good lord what has happened to sanity?

Ozriel

M$FT
If they’re looking at the Mario movie’s popularity and imagining a Zelda movie will perform just as well, they’re likely in for a rude awakening.

Markio128

I think they’d be better off doing a Pikmin or Starfox movie personally. I can’t see Zelda translating that well to a movie that kids would want to watch.

Kumomeme

I think they’d be better off doing a Pikmin or Starfox movie personally. I can’t see Zelda translating that well to a movie that kids would want to watch.
perhaps it is mainly because Zelda game is doing very well and popular right now and they doesnt want to waste that hype.

Top Bottom