• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows You've Watched Lately |OT| - 2021

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The Bear (Hulu US, not sure where else) season 2

Turning out to be some of the best television ever made if you're into this kind of drama. It veers off wildly in terms of both energy and focus from season one. It's like a totally new show, but still the same (James Franco gif here).

Good stuff.

4.5 / 5

might start watching this too. nothing else to watch at the moment. My Netflix is expiring and it's honestly so shit now. I've watched a couple free episodes of shows on Apple TV but never signed up. I got some free time with my iPhone but didn't use it.
Tell us your thoughts later :messenger_grinning:

GeekyDad

Ridiculously cliche beginning, hearty portions of nostalgia, pretty much zero melodrama. Easy distraction for longtime fans. Great opening soundtrack. Overall good story set-up. Kinda take away a hint of sweetness in exchange for some darkness with that quick look at that seemingly sentient creature being cooked over a fire pit. Completely formulaic. If I were to compare to a song, it's all samples, with nothing original except the person who amateurishly pieced it together.

But then baby Yoda appears, so none of that matters.

Will proceed.

The Mandalorian

Ridiculously cliche beginning, hearty portions of nostalgia, pretty much zero melodrama. Easy distraction for longtime fans. Great opening soundtrack. Overall good story set-up. Kinda take away a hint of sweetness in exchange for some darkness with that quick look at that seemingly sentient creature being cooked over a fire pit. Completely formulaic. If I were to compare to a song, it's all samples, with nothing original except the person who amateurishly pieced it together.

But then baby Yoda appears, so none of that matters.

Will proceed.

The Mandalorian

Star Wars Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The English (Amazon and BBC)

One of the better television shows I've discovered lately. Impeccable acting, strong direction with vivid visuals, many scenes written and directed in a way to add a lot of pregnant tension and it's never predictable whether that tension will fizzle out or explode suddenly.

It's a revisionist Western, which frankly most are, so if you're a stickler for strict historical accuracy then just like with movies like Young Guns - this isn't for you. But it's nowhere near egregious revisionism. No samurais wandering the Great Plains or anything like that.

Last edited:

RaduN

Mrs Davis

Good story, well written, well acted, very creative overall, really funny at times. Has some really good moments throughout, though it loses a bit of steam.

Recommended.

Ps. 10 years ago i would have considered it much more sci fi that today. Food for thought.

Little Mac

I have about 6 days before Diablo Season 1 starts and need a good binge. Anything hot in the last few years? I have the new GoT show downloaded but haven't started it. Late to the party I know. It's just the last few seasons of OG GoT ruined the whole experience for me. Heard good things about Succession. Looking for something sophisticated (or just dumb fun) but easy to binge.

I have about 6 days before Diablo Season 1 starts and need a good binge. Anything hot in the last few years? I have the new GoT show downloaded but haven't started it. Late to the party I know. It's just the last few seasons of OG GoT ruined the whole experience for me. Heard good things about Succession. Looking for something sophisticated (or just dumb fun) but easy to binge.
I just started Succession. I think it fits your bill

R6Rider

Gold Member
Finished Jack Ryan Season 3 4.

It was okay at best. Nothing you haven't seen before and probably done better.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Finished Jack Ryan Season 3.

It was okay. Nothing you haven't seen before and probably done better.
Does it wind its way back to the books, or at least show how it could have Jack in a position to jump on a sub or have some terrorists after him? I always thought they would try to adapt THFRO or PG for this show after the first season, but nope.

Oh, hang on, I'VE watched season 3, I thought you meant the newly released season 4. I think I just blanked season 2 out of my head :p

R6Rider

Gold Member
Does it wind its way back to the books, or at least show how it could have Jack in a position to jump on a sub or have some terrorists after him? I always thought they would try to adapt THFRO or PG for this show after the first season, but nope.

Oh, hang on, I'VE watched season 3, I thought you meant the newly released season 4. I think I just blanked season 2 out of my head :p
I've only read one of the books and seen some of the older films.

The series is your typical spy action political thriller.

EDIT: It was Season 4 I just watched. The one with Michael Peña.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I've only read one of the books and seen some of the older films.

The series is your typical spy action political thriller.

EDIT: It was Season 4 I just watched. The one with Michael Peña.
Ah, gotchca. Well, the early books are just fantastic, up to...."The Cardinal and the Kremlin" I think. After that the quality drops pretty precipitously.

But "Red Storm Rising" (a standalone novel), then Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, Clear and Present Danger, Without Remorse, all are great. Sum of All Fears, Rainbow Six, a little dodgy, then IIRC Cardinal was next. Like a lot of those guys, the fall of the USSR really sapped the technothriller market dry until the rise of the spec-ops lone wolf terrorist hunter.

Johnny2Bad

Watching the interesting Blacklist it’s on Netflix and it’s doing some stuff.

The Blacklist Smh GIF by NBC

Feels like a better version of blind spot.
I never did finish that one. I was into it for a while but eventually I just got bored with it. James Spader was excellent though.

Mr. Robot was the same for me.

I have also tried starting the Expanse multiple times and could not get into it. I do want to try again at some point.

I am currently watching Babylon 5. Another show I couldn’t get into. Actually, if you can make it thru season 1 and watch the episodes related to the main story it is quite good for the time.

More about political/social/economics/trade in space than a Star Wars/Star Trek adventure. The diplomats are all intriguing in different ways.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Just finished season 4 of better call saul.

Maybe a little on the boring side getting to this point? Season 4 definitely gets a little more interesting.
Yeah. The entire series just kinda meanders, and to be honest, it wasn't until about the point you're at where I had been wondering if it was going anywhere.

I will say, if you're this far in, you'll probably wanna see it to the end because, in spite of the fact you may still wonder until the end, there will eventually be closure.

That being said, I don't see myself going back to this dark-as-fuck, make-you-feel-bad series.

kikkis

Yeah. The entire series just kinda meanders, and to be honest, it wasn't until about the point you're at where I had been wondering if it was going anywhere.

I will say, if you're this far in, you'll probably wanna see it to the end because, in spite of the fact you may still wonder until the end, there will eventually be closure.

That being said, I don't see myself going back to this dark-as-fuck, make-you-feel-bad series.
I also felt that bcs never really went anywhere interesting. It's just odd that bcs has so high ratings on imdb. It's quite divisive in many circles but still so highly rated on average.

GeekyDad

I also felt that bcs never really went anywhere interesting. It's just odd that bcs has so high ratings on imdb. It's quite divisive in many circles but still so highly rated on average.

Yeah, it just seems to wallow in darkness for no good reason. Again, the ending does, for me at least, offer some semblance of solace.

And on that note, reminded by G-Bus' post, I went back to Breaking Bad where I left off (S3). I had to leave that for a while. Thankfully, its purpose is made clear from the start, but it's also dark-as-f***. But man, the statement Giancarlo Esposito's character makes in E5...I was breaking into tears, and it spoke to me nothing but truth, hard truth. I know this is a generation with many differing points of views, but my personal belief regarding a man's purpose is very much inline with what the characters says.

GeekyDad

Wow, just finished the first episode of Dopesick. Finally, something really worth watching. And didn't know until the credits rolled that it was directed by Barry Levinson. Hopefully, it stays on course. Great pacing, tells its story extremely well.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Whelp, someone learned how to do a season finale. S4 E13 of Breaking Bad was pretty badass, and silly as fuck. Man,
Gus
was one tenacious, silly ass mofo.

It was a great season finale, at least until the very shitty end when Walter says...

"I won," and then looks at the camera, which fades into the plant, lily of the valley, indicating (I presume) he poisoned the kid.

What an utter piece of f****** s*** Walt is. Hope he rots in fiction hell, f****** dirtbag piece of s***.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Wow, just finished the first episode of Dopesick. Finally, something really worth watching. And didn't know until the credits rolled that it was directed by Barry Levinson. Hopefully, it stays on course. Great pacing, tells its story extremely well.
Show is criminally underrated. Excellent to the end.

Also just realized Sam L is Barry's son WTF

Whelp, someone learned how to do a season finale. S4 E13 of Breaking Bad was pretty badass, and silly as fuck. Man,
Gus
was one tenacious, silly ass mofo.

It was a great season finale, at least until the very shitty end when Walter says...

"I won," and then looks at the camera, which fades into the plant, lily of the valley, indicating (I presume) he poisoned the kid.

What an utter piece of f****** s*** Walt is. Hope he rots in fiction hell, f****** dirtbag piece of s***.

Thought you hated the show? 🤔😜😛

Billbofet

Per your post, checked this out tonight with my wife. Seems great so far. Appreciate the recommendation!

GeekyDad

Thought you hated the show? 🤔😜😛
I do. I fucking hate it, especially after the episode I left off with yesterday, E5. There was no need for that at the end. Fucking hate this show. Hope it rots in hell.

That said, I do wanna check out more of the kid who plays Pinkman. Good actor. Hope he's done other interesting work.
Per your post, checked this out tonight with my wife. Seems great so far. Appreciate the recommendation!
Sorry, man. If you need to commiserate with someone, I'm here.

Friends from Season 1. Whilst it isn't my favourite sitcom, it's one of my many comfort shows. It's just really easy to watch and a good choice to have on in the background.

Chandler and Joey have consistently been my favourite characters. Even from the beginning I think they have the funniest moments by far. Ross cracks me up at times too.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Lioness on Paramount+. From that ever prolific Taylor Sheridan guy. It's pretty awesome, really well done action and a suitably overwrought CIA anti-terrorist premise. And the usual family drama they hammer into these types of shows is f'n BANANAS. If you are gonna have a rebellious teen, make 'em REALLY rebellious I guess :p

Jill Wagner is heavily involved, how she went from this
o6mzzf5.jpg

to this
0k0jQUK.jpg

Holy method acting Batman!!! But she is just the muscle in the show and her character is funny (waaaay better than the somewhat similar character from FUBAR. In fact, THIS show is what I wanted FUBAR to be). The main girl is a bit too whip lean for my tastes but she at least looks the part waaaaaaay better than the typical "spec ops ass kicking girl boss SLAY KWEEN!" choice we get. Zoe Saldana is the usual solid performer, I think she is the top grosser in Hollywood by a country mile (depending on how you credit her, I guess) and she is effortlessly playing the lead role in this.

Lioness on Paramount+. From that ever prolific Taylor Sheridan guy. It's pretty awesome, really well done action and a suitably overwrought CIA anti-terrorist premise. And the usual family drama they hammer into these types of shows is f'n BANANAS. If you are gonna have a rebellious teen, make 'em REALLY rebellious I guess :p

Jill Wagner is heavily involved, how she went from this
o6mzzf5.jpg

to this
0k0jQUK.jpg

Holy method acting Batman!!! But she is just the muscle in the show and her character is funny (waaaay better than the somewhat similar character from FUBAR. In fact, THIS show is what I wanted FUBAR to be). The main girl is a bit too whip lean for my tastes but she at least looks the part waaaaaaay better than the typical "spec ops ass kicking girl boss SLAY KWEEN!" choice we get. Zoe Saldana is the usual solid performer, I think she is the top grosser in Hollywood by a country mile (depending on how you credit her, I guess) and she is effortlessly playing the lead role in this.

The Wall Remains Undefeated

Hudo

Recently managed to watch The Crown season 5. Was better than season 4 but still weaker than the first two, imho. But interestingly, I start to hate Diana more and more.

Painkiller on Netflix. It's no Dopesick but it's ok. It has some good moments. It's infuriating that it's based on a real story.

Started watching Barry with Bill Hader. Early on in Season 2 now.

Already feeling like Season 2 has a more matured tone, in a good way. Season 1 felt like an energetic and talented first-time effort but the funny acting class and dark hitman stuff clashed a bit for me.

in Season 2, it's like they hold a darkly funny tone in both settings, and I'm digging it. Hope it stays good.

jason10mm

Gold Member
The Wall Remains Undefeated
Heh heh, had to look that phrase up.

But no, she is just dedicated to playing a hard nosed lesbo mercenary. I'm sure she could head back to fitness model territory if she wanted, I just picked the most butch photo of her in the show I could find.

But as a looooong time fan of Wagner (that Blade TV show.....yum yum) I didn't even recognize her until I saw her name in the credits and looked it up.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Watching "The Gang Beats Boggs" from It's always sunny.

I watch it once in a while just for shits and giggles 😆

I LOVE Kaitlin Olson 😊

GeekyDad

Friends from Season 1. Whilst it isn't my favourite sitcom, it's one of my many comfort shows. It's just really easy to watch and a good choice to have on in the background.

Chandler and Joey have consistently been my favourite characters. Even from the beginning I think they have the funniest moments by far. Ross cracks me up at times too.
Summed up perfectly for me. It's an easy "go-back-to" show.

Last edited:
Top Bottom