• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows You've Watched Lately |OT| - 2021

GeekyDad

S1 of Breaking Bad complete. You know where it's going from the start, and it ain't good. But the storytelling is, and yeah, a much more satisfying experience for me than BCS. But I do miss Mike.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Finished ep 11 of Animal Control. I don't know how this show is doing ratings wise, but I hope it gets a second season. It got progressively better after some mediocre first few episodes, starts adding slapstick and absurdist comedy. It has kind of a Community meets Brooklyn Nine Nine energy to it.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
S1 of Breaking Bad complete. You know where it's going from the start, and it ain't good. But the storytelling is, and yeah, a much more satisfying experience for me than BCS. But I do miss Mike.

One of the fun things in BCS was seeing familiar faces from BB return. You'll have the opposite experience and see younger versions of various BCS actors playing older versions of their characters. in BB.

GeekyDad

One of the fun things in BCS was seeing familiar faces from BB return. You'll have the opposite experience and see younger versions of various BCS actors playing older versions of their characters. in BB.
Yeah, I stayed away from Breaking Bad because I just wasn't ready, I felt, for what I suspected was going to be a pretty dark story. But holy ****, BCS was worse in a lot of ways. The main character was such a wretched human being. There's no doubt, it was hard not to love certain things about his character, but it was clear early on that the darkness and him had a smooth relationship. Not cool!

GeekyDad

Just caught the first episode of Call Me Kat. Don't think I knew about it before this morning. It's stupid in the most lovable way. Mayim Bialik is just undeniably adorable and welcoming, and there are some surprising nuggets in that ridiculous packaging.

It might not end up being something I continue for long, but I think I'll check out the next episode.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Watched the two episodes of Silo that are now available on Apple TV.

At first I thought it was your standard dystopian YAF with a side of mistery box but then I realized something was different as everyone was an adult.

It’s promising.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

Finished ep 11 of Animal Control. I don't know how this show is doing ratings wise, but I hope it gets a second season. It got progressively better after some mediocre first few episodes, starts adding slapstick and absurdist comedy. It has kind of a Community meets Brooklyn Nine Nine energy to it.
I watched the first couple episodes and wanted to like it but the super goofy animal scenes were a bit too ridiculous for me. I might give it another chance though.
Watched the two episodes of Silo that are now available on Apple TV.

At first I thought it was your standard dystopian YAF with a side of mistery box but then I realized something was different as everyone was an adult.

It’s promising.
Yeah I liked the first two episodes, looking forward to more.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Class of '09 (Hulu)

Better than I was expecting. Not a typical by the numbers procedural. I like the way they introduced some characters and the story structure of the first episode. Bit somber in tone and energy but it works.

GeekyDad

The opening of Ep.1 of S2 Breaking Bad was absolute fucking silliness. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

EDIT: And then it gets worse right after the credits.

Yeah, I'm done. Fucking this stupid, morbid, fucking nihilistic horseshit.

Last edited:

kikkis

I have watched 4 seasons of better call saul so far. If I had started watching this by season release i would have probaböy dropped this. It just feels like it hasn't even gone anywhere so far. Constant 8+ reviews on imdb are bit suspect imo.

Cyberpunkd

100: Physical

If you are into sports it’s a real banger, reminds me of ninja warrior but with more drama and talking.

GeekyDad

I have watched 4 seasons of better call saul so far. If I had started watching this by season release i would have probaböy dropped this. It just feels like it hasn't even gone anywhere so far. Constant 8+ reviews on imdb are bit suspect imo.
And they are in my mind. Sat through all of it, and right about where you're at is when I started thinking, "this fucking shit's just a bait store." You do finallllllllly get the fish in the end, and was satisfying for me. But so was not worth the full length of the show. If you give up on it, you'll hear no backbiting from me.

Plashe

Neo Member
Been rewatching Arrested Development lately, though I have also been watching It's Always Sunny, South Park and Kath and Kim but rarely do so, all of them are great shows so I'm not sure why I don't watch them more often, a friend did recommend me Mr. Robot so I plan on watching that soon

There's a natural climax at the end of Season 3 (you probably know what I'm talking about). Season 4 is the aftermath and setting the groundwork for what comes later.

I loved the show throughout, though, so if you aren't digging it, I'd just give it up.

GeekyDad

Been rewatching Arrested Development lately, though I have also been watching It's Always Sunny, South Park and Kath and Kim but rarely do so, all of them are great shows so I'm not sure why I don't watch them more often, a friend did recommend me Mr. Robot so I plan on watching that soon
I had totally forgot about this one. I always meant to get to it, but never did. It's kind of exactly what I'm looking for right now. I was lovin' it from the start -- just watched the first ep after reading your post. There was, however, an awkward scene between him and his mother at the hotel. His acting just didn't seem as good. After watching the entire ep, I get the impression maybe they used an outtake at the last minute because of some technical issue.

Either way, I look forward to watching more. Hope it continues to be enjoyable.

And..."George Michael." That's good shit. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Plashe

Neo Member
I had totally forgot about this one. I always meant to get to it, but never did. It's kind of exactly what I'm looking for right now. I was lovin' it from the start -- just watched the first ep after reading your post. There was, however, an awkward scene between him and his mother at the hotel. His acting just didn't seem as good. After watching the entire ep, I get the impression maybe they used an outtake at the last minute because of some technical issue.

Either way, I look forward to watching more. Hope it continues to be enjoyable.

And..."George Michael." That's good shit. :messenger_grinning_squinting:
first episode is good and funny but the lowest point of the season, if not the series, it's gets better so you're gonna love it im sure

BadBurger

Shadow Detective

It starts out seeming like a basic Korean copy of the typical US detective drama, but it mixes in a good deal of humor and slick cinematic presentation which are not typical of the US police procedural. I like it, the first Korean TV show I've found that wasn't all melodrama.

sedg87

Banned
Superman and Lois
Watched the first two seasons on BBC iPlayer. Really enjoyed it.

X Files
Halfway through season five. One of my favourite shows of all time, but it's at this point where the quality dips a bit.

GeekyDad

Feeling disgusting today, so I continued on with Breaking Bad. Left off on S3 ep3. That was a satisfying episode ending...

Cocksucker deserved that. Acting like a piece of shit, like he had redeemed himself by finally being honest, though his wife had repeatedly asked him, pleaded with him to confide in her. Then when finally left with no other options, and via the other cocksucker Saul Couldman, realizes he can get away with it because she has no other choice, he does tell her the truth. And then, bam, at the end, when he's all "honesty is great!" She tells him she fucked her boss. Good for you, sister. Your husband's a disgusting piece of shit. Says he earned the money...fuck him! All he did was help to sustain other peoples' miserable existence as addicts, which turned them into zombies. Hope he rots in fucking hell.

geary

Succession just aired the show finale this week. A great final episode and with it, Succession is up there, in the top with big names in the tv show world.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Finished up Maisel. I enjoyed it. I didn't love all the time skipping in the last season. Working my way through "You" on Netflix. Good so far. I'm in the third season. The lead dude is very charismatic. It makes you wish he wasn't such a bad person.

BadBurger

I finished Succession, having not been a big fan of it and largely binging what I missed prior to slowly working through this season.

A fitting end, I think. The final several minutes, with the imagery and Shakespearean vibes and haunting take on its title music, was something else. I still don't consider the show a classic like so many others seem too, certainly not up there with The Sopranos or The Wire, I have to admit I can see why so many people adore this show. It just wasn't entirely for me.

Billbofet

Finished Succession last night.
Perfect ending to a near-perfect show. For me, it's an instant classic - all four seasons.
Wish I could do a memory wipe and watch it all over again with fresh eyes.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Ted Lasso S3, it feels like this show was cancelled unexpectedly, everything is rushed, a lot of what was previously built-up over the prior seasons got ignored, or instantly resolved.

It’s still a great show overall but the writing was terrible.

Ozzie666

Yellowjackets and From started off so well. Now I'm not sure what to think about either series. Still decent TV, but feels aimless. FUBAR was okay and Citadel was average and predictable.

Mrs. Davis is probably one of the more interesting series I've seen this year. It's a self-contained story, humor and action. Bat shit crazy at times, but so good and not what I expected at all.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Watching the interesting Blacklist it’s on Netflix and it’s doing some stuff.

The Blacklist Smh GIF by NBC

Feels like a better version of blind spot.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
FUbar, it is very dumb and pretty bad. Arnie is cool, but the cast of characters are awful and the people around him are even worse.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Finished Succession, I thought the last season was great in broad strokes, like the story outlines were tremendous, but the actual episodes were really tedious to watch, lots of blabbering and going around in circles as the characters devolved into caricatures of themselves towards the end. I also think the air was sucked out of the show when Logan died. It was a solid B or B+ show but eh. I wouldn't be surprised if they bring it back for season 5 sometime down the road.

Last edited:
Silo is pretty good, six episodes in. The bear also worth a watch, they've done the research it seems, the music & lighting come together well. Season 2 starts 22nd June I believe.

American Born Chinese I really enjoyed, they've brought the Everything everywhere all at once group together pretty well.
6YlDFdR.jpg

Lunarorbit

I watched the first episode of animal control when it came out on Hulu 2 months ago. I was digging it and then the 2nd episode came out and I was super confused.

Robin Williams was in it?!? 5 minutes went by before I realized that Hulu had automatically started a movie called Merry Friggin Christmas with Candace bergdan, Robin Williams and Joel McHale. At first I thought maybe they filmed this episode years ago and maybe the show was in production hell and got delayed.

Watching cougar town (wife's watching. I'm kinda watching), community (cougar town episode with abed then community episode of him talking about it), firefly, nba finals (nugs gonna sweep)

Nico_D

Watching Alias for the first time with the family. It's ok, nice ideas and enjoyable enough. Good have a little less soap opera though.

Also rewatching Damages, the first season is fire. But I don't remember hating later seasons either, season 2 was good iirc and the season with Martin Short and Lily Tomlin too.

GeekyDad

Started watching The Practice this morning. I know it's old, but I've been on the search for a decent law-based series for quite a while now. This one had a good start, though I wasn't too fond of how the lead character just enters the court well instantly, as soon as he starts questioning his witness, without so much as a nod to the judge. But I figure, it's a big city, so maybe things go a little differently there.

But toward the closing of the episode, the prosecutor is giving her closing, and is using moral reasoning rather than facts to sell her case to the jury. So, I'm out. Gonna check out Suits now, see if it has anything worthy to offer.

EDIT: And Suits is a no-go.

Last edited:
About to start the final season of Barry. Incredible show.

Also watching Silo, which is very good so far

Last edited:

Fbh

Was a bit underwhelmed with the final season of Barry to be honest.
It was still good and I liked how most character arcs ended, but I also felt like it was missing a lot of the humor and silliness that used to characterize the show. There were still a few funny moments but the show always stood out to me in how they nailed the balance between humor and drama, and this season they focused a lot more on the drama which, while good, took away some of the personality and uniqueness of the show.

Also not really a fan of there being a fairly long time skip mid season

Also watching the last episodes of Manifest, which is like my guilty pleasure. It's some CW tier acting, writing and production quality, but it's the right kind of dumb fun I need from time to time.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
MV5BYzVhNDVjMjktOGU1NC00ZjRmLWIxZjgtNjkzM2Y1M2ZjNTc0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQzNTA5MzYz._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Binged this with my other half over the weekend.

Fuck, what a show. Really intense towards the end (obviously everyone knows what happenned to the Frank family). Acted very well, and from what I can tell very faithful to the story of Miep Gies. She only died recently (2010) too.

I've been rewatching Mr. Bean lately and honestly that show is just so timeless. It's so easy watching, hilarious still and I just love the crazy situations he manages to get himself involved in.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
Watching lost again. Wonder why this show has sort of faded from general consensus of greatest shows ever. Compared to Better call saul I finished last week this is much better despite this being just a rewatch.
Probably because the ending was extremely divisive.

For me, personally, it was up there with S8 of Game of Thrones. A show with so much potential that just completely shat the bed.

Probably because the ending was extremely divisive.

For me, personally, it was up there with S8 of Game of Thrones. A show with so much potential that just completely shat the bed.
Lost disappointed me so much that I will almost never start a show if it's clear the creators have no overarching view of where they want it to end up. I prefer limited series or shows planned to last X number of seasons from the start now.

NahaNago

I watched a couple episodes of that king kong cartoon on netflix and I have mixed feelings on it. I like several of the characters but the animation looks really choppy at times. The animation just really bugs me. Like the show looks decent at times but then the animation would just irritate me.

Last edited:
Watching Apple TV's Silo. It's nothing new but it's pretty good, well done and well acted. Also, it has Rebecca Ferguson.

might start watching this too. nothing else to watch at the moment. My Netflix is expiring and it's honestly so shit now. I've watched a couple free episodes of shows on Apple TV but never signed up. I got some free time with my iPhone but didn't use it.

Top Bottom