• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

that set of directors feels kinda wasteman though. wasn't william friedkin rumored to direct some of these?
Those were the four directors listed on IMDB, so it's possible that the list is incorrect or incomplete. Not all of the episodes have directors listed in the credits so far.

Frost_Ace

the cringe is real.

I'll still watch this though, I just hope Pizzaman kept the pseudo-philosophical dialogue at minimum.

Kaladin

After enjoying Sense8, I don't put faith in early TV show reviews when they're given only 3 episodes to watch and base their review on.

Especially when it's a series like this and it is basically a long movie.

Oh my god are those quotes real?
No, but they should be.

xo70Ug7.png
The quote at the bottom of the OP is from a real article, but the three up above that are a mashup that GAF put together after S1.

Where does the Pizzolatto quotes meme come from then? Did he ever say anything like that?

edit: nevermind, followed your "No" link.

iTunes has the TD soundtrack up for purchase and the tracks will be unlocked as they're featured on the show.

So far, the only track available at the moment is Lera Lynn's "The Only Thing Worth Fighting For" from the S2 trailer.
This season's mysteries won't just be onscreen, though. The album's full tracklisting is unknown; it will slowly be revealed over the course of the season. Songs from the soundtrack will be released at midnight after they are featured on the show, with the full album — produced by Burnett — scheduled for release on Aug. 14, five days after the second season finale.

Fury451

Banned
I don't expect this to be like Season 1. I don't think it can be. Season 1 was such a dark horse and it came out of nowhere. Who is this Pizolatto guy?! What is this show!? Matthew Mcconaughey?! Lol seriously?

And then boom! Magic happened.

Now people are expecting greatness and waiting for anything to fall even slightly short. I just don't think that can be recaptured.

That said, I'm incredibly excited about this season. I plan on judging it by its own merits and not by comparing it to season 1.

Great post. It's unfair to compare them since it's a whole new everything, but it's inevitable.

I'm interested to see where it goes, despite some of the mixed reviews.

big ander

would love to see Townes Van Zandt become a theme in the soundtracks. shoehorn "Waiting 'Round to Die" or "To Live is to Fly" or somethin

TVexperto

I wonder why the director of season one didnt want to come back, maybe difficulties working with the showrunner?

StMeph

Season one was great, but I felt like even that was inconsistent between episodes, so to hear that S2 is a step back from S1 dampens most of the enthusiasm I have for it.

I wonder why the director of season one didnt want to come back, maybe difficulties working with the showrunner?
It was a very difficult shoot:
Daily Beast interview with Fukunaga said:
So how long did it take for you to shoot True Detective?

It took 101 days. We shot from January 2013 until the end of June 2013. It took for-fucking-ever it felt like, and there was no respite. It was about 12.5 days an episode.

What were the biggest hurdles for you, as a director?

Finding the look, finding the rhythm, and creating your language with the crew. We were shooting in very difficult locations and weather was not our friend. And it was also tough to find our endurance because there was no relief crew—it was only us—and there weren’t any hiatus days to prep the next episode. So, we could only prep the first four episodes, and for the final four episodes, the scripts weren’t even done yet. We didn’t have the scripts for the last two episodes until a couple of weeks before we started shooting, so we didn’t know where we were shooting or where to go to locations to talk about shots, so for the latter half, we just reacted and hoped that our instincts were on point.
There were also some rumors of Pizzalatto and Fukunaga butting heads on set:
Rumors of a power struggle between Pizzolatto and Fukunaga -- who directed all eight episodes of the first season and is responsible for the show's rich cinematic look -- have circulated since production got underway in early 2013. And they grew more intense when word got around that Fukunaga would not be back for season two. The director, who declined comment for this article, will remain attached as an executive producer.

Stephens says all the talk has been overblown, noting simply that tension often arises when you have a helmer from the world of film -- known as a director's medium -- working in TV, more of a writer's medium. That both men were invested in every episode added another layer of complexity. "You have two people who want to be in charge of things," he says. "But I've been in this environment before with a film director in a television world, and the results and the process were far more difficult than they were on this show. … It was always very collaborative on set, and despite the dark material we were producing, we were able to keep it light for the actors."

Several others who spent time in Louisiana suggest those occasional clashes -- which were said to have intensified during postproduction, when the two were working on opposite coasts -- could be attributed to innate differences in style as well. Pizzolatto, a more vocal, aggressive creative, thrives on discussion and debate, and New York-based Fukunaga is a calmer presence whose laid-back nature could be construed as aloof.

Pizzolatto, for his part, flatly denies any bad blood. "Cary and I worked together really smoothly," he says. "There was never any contention. Of course, you're going to have discussions and difference of opinion, but what matters is that everyone is working without ego toward the best realization of what we have." He'll be bringing in multiple directors to helm the show's second season, a decision he says is about being able to move more quickly through production. Pizzolatto might try directing an episode, too. "It's just the question of if I want to," he says. "It's certainly an ideal field to test oneself, yet at the same time I might not want to mess up my own show."
I imagine it's also easier for Fukunaga to move on because it's an anthology. He put together the 8 episodes that he wanted to, and it isn't like they're continuing the same story without him. S2 is it's own thing.

Fjordson

Tbh even if it had been a smooth shoot, I wasn't expecting Fukunaga to be back. As soon as TD started to build momentum during the season and critics started hyping it up I figured he'd leverage his rising stock for films. And now he's got that war movie with Idris Elba and he was all set to do the new It (left the project for budget concerns, but that didn't happen 'til last month).

Tbh even if it had been a smooth shoot, I wasn't expecting Fukunaga to be back. As soon as TD started to build momentum during the season and critics started hyping it up I figured he'd leverage his rising stock for films. And now he's got that war movie with Idris Elba and he was all set to do the new It (left the project for budget concerns, but that didn't happen 'til last month).
Right, I think the anthology series appeal to a lot of people (production and acting talent) that normally work in film for this reason. It's a single season that can potentially do a lot for you, but you're not tied into a long term contract.

The reviews make me feel like Season one was like "No Country for Old Men" And then Season two could end up being like "Miami Vice" the movie.
I hope I'm wrong.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Miami Vice the movie, it would be my dream if this was Miami Vice TV series.

That movie got hate because it was a drama and it released in July when people expected Bad Boys II

Fjordson

Right, I think the anthology series appeal to a lot of people (production and acting talent) that normally work in film for this reason. It's a single season that can potentially do a lot for you, but you're not tied into a long term contract.
Yeah, that's a good point. Big stars can commit since it's not a multiple season deal.

It's makes something like The Knick so interesting to me. Clive Owen and Steven Soderbergh are basically doing a regular ass, multi-season TV show.

big ander

Fukunaga absolutely made the right choice. I only wish they'd realized the importance of consistent direction to TD for season 2 and had 2 directors max.

Yeah, that's a good point. Big stars can commit since it's not a multiple season deal.

It's makes something like The Knick so interesting to me. Clive Owen and Steven Soderbergh are basically doing a regular ass, multi-season TV show.

Clive Owens career was kinda dead tho

not sure I'd call him a big star

There are so many great television shows with multiple directors that I really don't think it matters here. The bigger issue is the writing. If it's not good the show will fall apart IMO, whereas I really don't see any indication that the direction won't at least be serviceable to decent.

Dennis

Banned
The occult underpinnings really gave the first season a flavor that set it apart from the majority of cop shows.

Without that dimension the characters better be damn compelling because I kinda feel like I don't much need another cop show.

Mostly interested to see what the pizza man can do with Rachel McAdams character.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The part that appeals to me is the fact that we're getting a story from beginning to end instead of some kind of horseshit that may or may not get resolved. I love serials, but goddamn can they get bloated as fuck when they have no real timetable.

I think Season 1 was sort of overrated to begin with, so dialing it back a bit isn't necessarily a bad thing.

big ander

There are so many great television shows with multiple directors that I really don't think it matters here. The bigger issue is the writing. If it's not good the show will fall apart IMO, whereas I really don't see any indication that the direction won't at least be serviceable to decent.

True but I think TD is a unique case. Taking Breaking Bad as an example: having various regular directors was perfect because different episodes called for different tones of pulpy crime drama. Whereas the first season of True Detective had a largely consistent tone throughout. true that that tone comes from the meeting of writing and direction so if Pizza's on point with the script we'll be likely be fine.

- Washington Post: ‘True Detective’ Season 2: New cast, setting, same grim self-seriousness
Which may be a long way of telling you that “True Detective’s” second go-around benefits greatly from a re-start. Fans should find themselves content with the show’s intensely dour mood and a story flecked with sexual deviance, grim violence and assorted weirdness that seems at least partly inspired by David Lynch movies. The first season’s three-track chronology structure appears to be gone, except for the occasional depiction of a memory. Skeptics might notice that Pizzolatto (or someone above him) has learned to whittle down his prose a bit, even though it’s still easy to discern scenes where what’s on the page will simply come off as pretentious on the screen.

- Business Insider: Vince Vaughn plays a convincing bad guy in 'True Detective' season 2

I can't wait to see that
orgy
scene they were casting for.
Should be crazy.
I don't know if i should spoiler tag that or not, it was posted in the last thread without spoiler tags, and it was fine.

Capsule review from the Seattle Times:
Take a deep breath. All the elements that made the premiere season of writer/creator Nic Pizzolatto’s crime drama such a buzzed-about hit are back for season two. The new setting is a gritty, film-noir version of present-day Los Angeles. There are three tortured law-enforcement officers this time out (Colin Farrell, Rachel McAdams and Taylor Kitsch), plus Vince Vaughn as a slimy criminal. And there’s a twisted murder to bring all the elements together. I said it last year when the show premiered, but it bears repeating: This is some deep, layered, “must-see” television.

Squalor

Man, early reviews are a bummer.

I'm hoping some of it is just due to people's being unwilling to get over the fact that this isn't going to be the same as season one.

Blader

I can't wait to see that
orgy
scene they were casting for.
Should be crazy.
I don't know if i should spoiler tag that or not, it was posted in the last thread without spoiler tags, and it was fine.

Reading about that makes me think that
the occult aspect
isn't as absent in this season as it's played up to be. Unless the actual scene is very different from the
Eyes Wide Shut-esque orgy
I'm imagining.

Chiggs

The early reviews which are mostly positive?

I was just scanning through the OP and a lot of reviews seem to indicate that the fun has been drained out, and those expecting more of the same from season 2 are going to be let down.

ACE 1991

Pretty bummed the initial reviews are somewhat tepid... True Detective Season 1 was one of my favorite television shows of all time.

Squalor

Review scores are not class grades, and should not be treated as such.
Ha, a 62 is just above being completely mixed reviews. Yes, that's disappointing.

I didn't know you could rate the way I feel disappointed.

Oh, wait, you can't.

I hope they maintain the subtle cabalism and atmosphere of decadence that Season 1 illustrated deliciously. Otherwise, I don't know what exactly would distinguish this show from other dark and gritty cop dramas like The Killing, outside of the star cast.

- Sepinwall's review: Has 'True Detective' fallen victim to the sophomore slump?
Without his original collaborators around, Pizzolatto struggles often to turn leaden stories and dialogue into another season of Golden Age drama.
Judgment of "True Detective" season 2 will likely be harsher than that of season 1 — and, unless the season improves off this bumpy beginning, it may invite further judgment of what Pizzolatto and company did back then.

Top Bottom