• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

Vince Vaughn has garnered a lot of respect from me for playing one of his more difficult roles.

I can't imagine how he managed to make it through that water stain scene... I would've bitched out my agent at that point.

Definitely him and Farrell were the real bright spots of the season. McAdams I'm still unsure about.

kmag

This season man. It's like an American remake of Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, except no one realised it was supposed to be satire.

sangreal

To be clear he was in the middle of Death Valley. He wasn't making it home alive.

Even if he had given up his jacket and the diamonds he would have wandered the desert naked and humiliated until he died. He was too proud for that, hence getting stabbed.

I don't think they were going for the diamonds killing him - the massive blood loss and knife in his side probably played a much larger role than the diamonds. To me it was more of a) he got to die with his "fortune" b) look all the good it does him.

When we say the diamonds killed him we mean metaphorically -- what you first suggested -- that he died because he didn't want to give up the diamonds. He wouldn't have had the knife in his side if he had done so. You're right that he may have died anyway though I go the impression he was going to get his ride if he gave up the suit. Just pointing out that he went down with his money works too I guess, since they showed Velcro clumsily losing all his before dying

Tugatrix

Well Pizzaman:

giphy.gif

In think this one sum my reaction to this season ending

giphy.gif

uncblue

Unless I misheard it or wasn't paying enough attention, did the girl orphan Laura say her brother Leonard dropped Caspere's body at the perfect location for the detectives to become involved. And the reason he did it was for the lulz? Why not have his reason be to expose corruption?

BizzyBum

Does anyone know how the Mexicans found Frank in the first place? He switched cars at the bakery. Did those bakery guys rat him out? Were they watching him the whole time? Or was it simply to advance the story? lol

LaneDS

This season man. It's like an American remake of Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, except no one realised it was supposed to be satire.

As much as I'm on board with the idea that season 2 was a huge disappointment, these are the kinds of posts that get people upset with the hyperbole.

Those Darkplace quotes attached to Pizzaman pictures have not done this show any favors.

Is Pizzolato contracted for another season? He could really hurt his brand with another reaction like this to season 3. I'm sure he wants to move on or at least take more time. Go and do that cult in the subways thing.

jond76

Banned
I liked the season. It was an uphill climb for our heroes the whole time, never having the whole story. By the time they had enough pieces, it was too late.

I can't understand this premise of "hate watching", I've bailed out of Falling Skies, Blacklist and Under the Dome, and have no intention of watching them again. I simply don't have the time.

I think a lot of the disappointment stems from the anticipation of a crime story infused with occult elements. Even after it was said there wouldn't be, people kept calling Nick's bluff and were just more and more let down as episodes went by.

This was just a normal crime and corruption tale, and one I found engaging.

Kadayi

Banned
I agree that going back to a single director would be a good idea, yet I kind of felt like that varying directors was more often than not in the service of S2 -- it's a very dreamy, fragmented series, thanks to many leads, many different subplots, a purposeful lack of focus, and having multiple directors adds to that in my opinion. As an experiment, I like it, but I also want others to like True Detective because it's awesome, so doing what more people will enjoy is the best thing to do.

I think what they said was that having a single director was kind of punishing. You're basically on for the duration and that's a major commitment because you have to be there all the time, unlike the actors etc

Anyhows I enjoyed the finale.It was daft as spanners, but I appreciated the fact that the good guys didn't necessarily win per se, and the bad guys for the most part got away with it. With merely the spectre hanging over them that the reporters expose would trigger some investigation down the road.

The thing about Velcoro and the woods of course is whether his dream influenced the decision or whether it was fate to end up there.

I can't understand this premise of "hate watching", I've bailed out of Falling Skies, Blacklist and Under the Dome, and have no intention of watching them again. I simply don't have the time.

Same. My time is too precious to waste of things that don't engage me on some level. Sure the show had issues, but then so did season 1. I'm OK with something have flaws.

Rur0ni

Finale was even more depressing than this thread, I liked it. Also, very tense.

Well, you can't please everyone. Great finale, great S2. The reviews are hilarious. People have been waiting AGES to shit on this season. I'm sure at least half of these reviews were pre-written and they were just waiting to release them. You have to wonder what they're comparing this season to in their minds for it to measure up so badly.
Put me on the list of people who thought this season was overall good. Latter half made up for some of the plodding and bad dialogue, frankly. Also, happy with the finale.

Tugatrix

Lessons to be learn for season 3 if it ever happen:

-Pizzaman write but with a director on his side keeping him on a leash.
-Stick to a season director, try Andrew Dominik for example.
-Don't create too many characters, also don't make them talk like philosophers real people don't talk like that

sangreal

Lessons to be learn for season 3 if it ever happen:

-Pizzaman write but with a director on his side keeping him on a leash.
-Stick to a season director, try Andrew Dominik for example.
-Don't create too many characters, also don't make them talk like philosophers real people don't talk like that

I would add:

-Don't be over react to criticism. It is painfully obvious how much the criticism of Season 1's treatment of women influenced this season. That isn't to say the criticism was invalid, but it was poorly countered.

glow

Banned
The cell phone close up was incrediblely cheesy though.

I agree but it's important they got across the point that the message didn't get sent. It could've been handled better, more subtle, especially for a show that can manage to have 58min of little importance and 2 min of heavy exposition in one episode..

TRios Zen

Put me on the list of people who thought this season was overall good. Latter half made up for some of the plodding and bad dialogue, frankly. Also, happy with the finale.

Different people like different things - I get that, and it's something that I think a lot of people on the webs forget (not aiming that at you).

I didn't really care for this season, but I don't think it was complete crap either. If NP is in completely in charge next season though, I'm likely to give it a pass until I hear some commentary on it. Dialogue this season too often pulled me out of the show with it's heavy-handedness.

Blader

Is Pizzolato contracted for another season? He could really hurt his brand with another reaction like this to season 3. I'm sure he wants to move on or at least take more time. Go and do that cult in the subways thing.

His deal with HBO includes another year, and they've said they're open to a third season if he wants to do it -- which imo is a little more telling than just straight up renewing it for S3.

Meneses

I didn't like this season very much.

The dialogue was so forced and it even felt that the acting was bad.

I was discussing it with one of my friends and he didn't like the first season but loved this one, so I guess it worked for him.

Klocker

So the bird head which imo appeared to be some odd ritual thing that put the killer in season one territory turned out to be a random hat that the killer just threw on explaining it as "that was caspere's, he was weirdo" ???

Lame

I really wanted a Departed style final scene with Ani going after them. Would have been more effective than just handing everything over to a reporter.

So the bird head which imo appeared to be some odd ritual thing that put the killer in season one territory turned out to be a random hat that the killer just threw on explaining it as "that was caspere's, he was weirdo" ???

Lame

And that eye burning crotch shooting thing was because he was really mad and he put that body out there because that shit was funny and not because he wanted to draw attention to deep rooted corruption. I was expecting birdman to be more like the Laughing Man from Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and instead turns out to be an even bigger cartoon character than an actual cartoon character. "I AM THE BLADE!"

Also this finale did not need to be 30 minutes longer. Could have cut that Frank/Jordan scene shorter as well as the Ray/Ani scene in bed.

Nothus

How did Ray make the connection with the second orphan being the photographer? It seemed to suddenly click with him, but all he really said was that he'd seen the girl speaking to him on the film set. Was that all it was? I mean, surely she spoke to quite a few people during the day, no?

Imm0rt4l

Lame
It should have already been obvious. He had a bunch of masks in his place. Chances were always great it was caspers. This is like the first season how everyone was so certain we'd meet some big baddie dubbed the yellow king.

Robot Pants

Unless I misheard it or wasn't paying enough attention, did the girl orphan Laura say her brother Leonard dropped Caspere's body at the perfect location for the detectives to become involved. And the reason he did it was for the lulz? Why not have his reason be to expose corruption?
Yea she said something about him
Thinking it was funny. I LITERALLY rolled my eyes and started browsing my phone. That's when I REALLY wrote off the show. How fucking lame.

Deku Tree

How did Ray make the connection with the second orphan being the photographer? It seemed to suddenly click with him, but all he really said was that he'd seen the girl speaking to him on the film set. Was that all it was? I mean, surely she spoke to quite a few people during the day, no?

Yeah that was another one of those poor writing moments.

Robot Pants

Well, you can't please everyone. Great finale, great S2. The reviews are hilarious. People have been waiting AGES to shit on this season. I'm sure at least half of these reviews were pre-written and they were just waiting to release them. You have to wonder what they're comparing this season to in their minds for it to measure up so badly.
Probably the first season.
Just a hunch though.

For me it was many many MANY other shows that are, you know, good.

Afrocious

I think a better question would be what are you comparing this show to value it so highly lol

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Meh. Just a terrible, bloated, meandering, pretentious piece of shit of a season.

I should have done like my fiancée and quit watching after the first episode.

Blader

Yeah I have no idea how he made that leap either. Marty's "...wait a minute, green!" epiphany last year was a hell of a reach but this didn't even make sense.

Pretentious and convoluted are good words for it.

A lot of the time, I wondered what the hell was going on because it was so obtuse and convoluted.

That said, I did enjoy watching it.

Deku Tree

You know things have gone south when you don’t even care enough to find the answers. Did you get sad when Ray or Frank bought it? Were you relieved that Ani got away? Were you happy when Osip and McCandless got theirs? Were you mad when Tony Chessani rose to power?

No, right? Pizzolatto tried to shove a David Lynch movie into a crime novel and adapt it into an eight-episode prestige cable show that was often paced like a 22-episode network television show and performed like a screwed and chopped soap opera. All the 10-gallon hats and shopping bags full of land deeds and hard drives couldn’t fix the damage. In the end, Pizzolatto tried to recap his own show — weighing down characters with the burden of explaining his own story, and then discarding many of those same characters, just to try to steal back some gravitas.

What a waste. Hadn’t these people suffered enough?

Owch

hydruxo

I'd love to do an in-depth writeup of everything about this season, but I really just don't think I care enough at this point. I wish I hadn't wasted my time watching this season. Farrell and McAdams made it watchable at least.

Top Bottom