• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider I-III Remastered Releases on February 14, 2024 (Switch, PS4/5, XBX/S, PC)

Moses85

Season 4 Andy GIF by The Office

Do we need this?

SSfox

This is why i never liked the Anniversary remake. The main reason why the original game was great was all about that level design that doesn't adapt well to what that remake was going for.
Replaying the original levels will be amazing and this time with trophy support.
Yeah anniversary was alright, but nothing beat the feel and mood of the Core design game.

One other thing that annoyed me a bit also in TRA is her personality feels different and strange of how Lara should be.

CamHostage

Thermonuclear take:
Tomb Raider Anniversary is better than the original game.

It is IMO as well, but the original Tomb Raider should be a thing people can play. (I mean, it's on Steam and GOG and whatever, but this is its own thing.)

I like the remakes of West Side Story and King Kong a lot, I'm sure I would reach for Carpenter's The Thing and Cronenberg's The Fly over the originals 9 times out of 10, but originals are originals. Games have their weird thing where we can "remaster" them as totally different (but similar) games and sometimes they get labeled as definitive, but each has its place and purpose.

Would have been amazing if this had included both Core and Crystal Dynamics Tomb Raiders, but that would have been a lot for one package. (A way more compelling package IMO, however, more worth owning, but it is what it is.)

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Not sold on ti, not yet… they improved the model and textures but they now make the low poly backgrounds stand out a lot more… this needed a Nightdive touch…

Just the other my friend and I was talking about how great a remaster (with trophy support) would be and when all the corporations collect data and listen to you talking via phone that it would be cool if they have overheard our conversation and made a remastered. And now we have this. With on the fly graphics swap. Great stuff!

Now we need Revelations, Chronicles and Angel of Darkness as well :)
I've been expecting this for years now! It's one of my most wanted games (remasters). This might be the first game I buy on release date ever since Battlefield 3 (2013). Woo!!
But yea, we do need the subsequent games as well.

Am I the only one who thinks they didn’t capture the look of the old game with the new graphics? They look way more cartoony.
Yea they are slightly cartoony, especially that T-Rex. But I will take it.. like I said I've wanted this bundle for so long.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Not sold on ti, not yet… they improved the model and textures but they now make the low poly backgrounds stand out a lot more… this needed a Nightdive touch…
It has a toggle to switch to the original graphics just in HD......
there's your Nightdive touch 👍

brian0057

Banned
It is IMO as well, but the original Tomb Raider should be a thing people can play. (I mean, it's on Steam and GOG and whatever, but this is its own thing.)

I like the remakes of West Side Story and King Kong a lot, I'm sure I would reach for Carpenter's The Thing and Cronenberg's The Fly over the originals 9 times out of 10, but originals are originals. Games have their weird thing where we can "remaster" them as totally different (but similar) games and sometimes they get labeled as definitive, but each has its place and purpose.

Would have been amazing if this had included both Core and Crystal Dynamics Tomb Raiders, but that would have been a lot for one package. (A way more compelling package IMO, however, more worth owning, but it is what it is.)
I agree.
As long as they don't pull a GTA Trilogy DE BS by removing the original games, I'm cool with it.
But Anniversary is the definitve version of the game.

Pilgrimzero

I applied a fan made HD patch to TR1 once and it looked great and this looks even better!

TR1 is still the best game in the series and I can't wait to play it again in this remaster!

SALMORE

Nice ! will definitely buy but am curious about the controls

this give me hope for a remasters of the other Eidos classic like Soul Reaver and Akuji the Heartless

Am I the only one who thinks they didn’t capture the look of the old game with the new graphics? They look way more cartoony.
Hot take: They should have leaned even further into the cartoony look while redoing the graphics with the A.I. remastering. It would have lost it's original look of muddy forest/rock textures, but it would have looked much cleaner.

CamHostage

Anniversary is the definitve version of the game.

Naw. Anniversary isn't even "the game", it's a different game. A better game IMO, but it's not the game that people loved in 1996.

As long as they don't pull a GTA Trilogy DE BS by removing the original games, I'm cool with it.

GTA Trilogy DE is a more faithful port/remaster of the original games than Anniversary. Some content had to be removed/edited for legal/rights/other reasons, the engine was ported to a new superstructure and introduced some bugs, and the graphics had a lot of auto-generated (and manual) content replacement... but still, it's as close to the original games as they could sell in today's market without just putting the PS2 ROMs in an emulator on GOG.

Whereas I'm not sure there's a line of code from TR1 inside TR Anniversary?

Last edited:

Pilgrimzero

This is why i never liked the Anniversary remake. The main reason why the original game was great was all about that level design that doesn't adapt well to what that remake was going for.
Replaying the original levels will be amazing and this time with trophy support.

The original was all wheat and no chaff. Then each sequel kept adding more and more and more. Crawling, swinging, driving, etc.

Less is more and TR1 did it perfectly.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Oh please, this is the lowest bar for low standards :p.

Look at Quake II remastered and am what they did with it, now look at this. Make the game cheaper and keep the HD look more as a paid DLC then hehe ;).
I think Quake II Remaster is great and it has shit tone of options and it replicates the original perfectly.
And I mean perfectly
But this as little as some may believe is a little bit more than that imo.
To me a Nightdive style Remaster would be more like this with the new graphics toggle off and a few improvements here and there.
Now we are yet to actually see this running so I'll hold my judgement but I don't get the praise for Nightdive when they just did a simple port and kept it simple (which is a good thing)
And added a bunch of stuff (which yet again is good)
But I think people go on about it as if it's something that it's not.

Why did they need to announce this 5 months out?

I might be dead by then!

How much more production do they need to go through in 5 months if it's just graphical upscaling?

CGNoire

Yes, and this gameplay was already modernized(in the same generation):

hqdefault.jpg

If just one well known developer had stuck with this design and tried to evolve it instead of completely dropping it, we would have witnessed the evolution of grid platforming already. It would take a developer to do it against all odds though, much like King's Field to Demon's Souls to Dark Souls.

Edit: They just have to make it feel slightly better to control, not automate grapples or anything crazy.
SOTC showed us the way and we deserve damnation for turning our backs.

CGNoire

Looks pretty good to me, some slight improved models and textures, but keeps the original artistic intent and color direction.

Can't standard remasters that totally destroy the original tone of a game, like the Panzer Dragoon remake.
Yeah I simply hate when remasters change the color pallete. Its the worst of sins and a slap in the face of the Original art director.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Should have been 1 and 4, the only good ones. Guess they wanna sell another trilogy. Also, make the crawling and ladder climbing faster/animated differently (maybe also increase the rest of the game speed by ~10%), they were the only bad part in the latter (but inherited from another game).

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
I remember playing trough Tomb Raider 1 back in the 90's without Youtube or any guides to help me. This required a different kind of patience than most kids have today. If you did the same, you know what I'm talking about. But being a broke kid with limited access to new games left me no choice.

Shtef

So excited about this. Tomb raider is my favorite games series and now i will be able to play it on xbox.

Last edited:

Filben

I wonder how movement will feel... Tank controls are not fun.
Without additional animations (and transitions) it will probably look as weird as the Resident Evil 1 remake with the modern controls. So they would have to put way more effort into this while maintaining giving the player the precision that is required in these games because there's little to no tolerance in what Lara does automatically; jumping roughly in the right direction is not enough.

I'm curious however and being able to play them on my console, even with the old graphics and controls, would be super cool.

Top Bottom