• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Henderson: New PS5 with detachable disc drive test kit in people's hands, "works flawlessly"

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
People demanding PRO console should just get a pc.
This race for next consoles iterations is terrible.
Devs don't even have time to optimize for current gen.
Look at last gen?! Naughty dog released 4 games !!! Each one looking waaay better than previous one.
Mass effect trilogy, gears trilogy... devs had time to learn console and iterate.

If we start relying on powerful hardware to keep graphics up to date.... then all that will happen is more and more revisions, a mess of configurations, mess of modes and smartphone model with new console way too often. This is not what console is about. This sounds like a pc.

Umbral

People demanding PRO console should just get a pc.
This race for next consoles iterations is terrible.
Devs don't even have time to optimize for current gen.
Look at last gen?! Naughty dog released 4 games !!! Each one looking waaay better than previous one.
Mass effect trilogy, gears trilogy... devs had time to learn console and iterate.

If we start relying on powerful hardware to keep graphics up to date.... then all that will happen is more and more revisions, a mess of configurations, mess of modes and smartphone model with new console way too often. This is not what console is about. This sounds like a pc.
I really only want a PS5 Pro because I’m sick of having to choose between fidelity/RT and 60fps.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I really only want a PS5 Pro because I’m sick of having to choose between fidelity/RT and 60fps.
You got that all wrong.
You would not be sick of choosing if modes would not consist of bad choices.
Having mode with rt and mode with 60fps is shit. The modes should either not exist so you don’t know what you are missing or there should only be optional fps unlock.
Or if there are modes, make the difference least noticeable like only resolution and upscale. Never remove rt or alike.

I see no reason why games couldn’t be made the way dev want. Or dynamic 4k.

Metro exodus proved that fully rt game at 4k60 is possible. Dynamic sure but result is fine.
Most of games this gen have terrible 30fps. So even if I am fine with 30fps and want to play in high fidelity, it’s often wayyyyy slower than 30 should be and was on ps4

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I’m ready for a PS5 Pro.
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Titus Burgess GIF by NETFLIX

Umbral

You got that all wrong.
You would not be sick of choosing if modes would not consist of bad choices.
Having mode with rt and mode with 60fps is shit. The modes should either not exist so you don’t know what you are missing or there should only be optional fps unlock.
Or if there are modes, make the difference least noticeable like only resolution and upscale. Never remove rt or alike.

I see no reason why games couldn’t be made the way dev want. Or dynamic 4k.

Metro exodus proved that fully rt game at 4k60 is possible. Dynamic sure but result is fine.
Most of games this gen have terrible 30fps. So even if I am fine with 30fps and want to play in high fidelity, it’s often wayyyyy slower than 30 should be and was on ps4
If the choice was 4K/30 RT with crazy bells and whistles versus 1440/60 with RT, I’d be happy with that. Personally, I think 60 should be standard.

2A Games is on another level with their graphics. They make it a priority. I’d say they’re exceptional. The RE remakes and 7 also have high framerates with RT. The Callisto Protocol defaults to 30fps. Some developers have different priorities. I think 60 should be the standard and 120 should be a new target.

the digital future is coming.

PS6 likely won't have a disc drive. They will probably sell a separate disc drive but it'll be for playing PS4-PS5 games only as there will be no such thing as PS6 game disc.

All my PS games are digital so no need for me to buy one. I hope this rumour is true for PS5 Slim. I don't need a disc drive and if it comes bundled I won't even bother taking it out the box hopefully they have two SKUs. one with and one without the attachable drive.

Neo_game

Sony left a lot to be desired when it comes to packaging so there is obvious room for improvement, improving on the X design is much harder since it’s already very good.

It is not just about the physical form factor. Then 5nm will mean less power giving same performance, better thermals also I think, the price should be also be cheaper.

Reactions: TLZ

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
don't get me wrong. I will probably get it... but I am still not happy about idea of pro or more consoles in one gen
If the Pro mid-gen refresh is needed to keep 60FPS in first party games while pushing the graphical boundaries beyond just cross-gen stuff (while HZD was and still is remarkable, but we can get more fidelity like the OG UE5 demo), then.... yes, please!

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
If the Pro mid-gen refresh is needed to keep 60FPS in first party games while pushing the graphical boundaries beyond just cross-gen stuff (while HZD was and still is remarkable, but we can get more fidelity like the OG UE5 demo), then.... yes, please!
It's not needed. Devs can code around it if they wanted. We are not cpu limited.
I think with fsr/taa tech and so on, devs need time to learn and exploit the system,
Look at ps3. UC1,2,3,tlou. Every game release on the same system!!! They didn't need a pro to keep breaking graphics boundaries while maintaining (then) standard 30fps.

If we play the mid gen PRO game, then devs will release games like on pc and don't bother how it runs for who... oh new pro model will sort that out. Just like the mess we have with too many modes now

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Me too. I want 60 fps to stay as a minimum for all true next gen games and I don't want to sacrifice resolution and effects too much. Give me a pro console that nails gorgeous 60 fps games and great 120fps and I'm there day one. Ps5 can go in my bedroom.
That needs at least 20tf I think. I'm not sure if that's possible yet at a consumer friendly price point.

Deerock71

Who's betting that no matter what the digital plus the disk drive costs more than the current disk model?

I think I'm going to be wrong but I'm also scared I won't be....
It will be a drop in the bucket compared to what I paid a scalper for the digital only version. So I'll consider this.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
guys guys DJ KHALED JUST GOT THE NEW PROTOTYPE of the ps5 disc drive attachment! Apparently games will come on vinyls?!

RRQwP1w.png

no no wait.... next ps will be a handheld! Latest leaks from out hero!!!
INRrPZh.png

I am sure this ai crap will kill us all one day but for now, I am having too much fun lol

Last edited:

Geruda065

Guys let me tell you a secret. You are playing PS5 pro console from the start. From what i heard there was 1080p PS5 and it was canceled. Last gen pro model was anomaly due to high adoption of 4k tv's. This gen 8k gaming is dead on arrival so no "pro" mid gen refresh for shure.

guys guys DJ KHALED JUST GOT THE NEW PROTOTYPE of the ps5 disc drive attachment! Apparently games will come on vinyls?!

RRQwP1w.png

no no wait.... next ps will be a handheld! Latest leaks from out hero!!!
INRrPZh.png

I am sure this ai crap will kill us all one day but for now, I am having too much fun lol

At least I know why the PS5 is skinny now. The extra thickness went into DJ Khalid. Or maybe he sat on it which would explain why its taller.

Top Bottom