• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Xtreme Racer: where to start?

s_mirage

It was honestly so slow, that I thought my copy was faulty. Maybe it's just the PAL release? I've never seen a single mention of this other than from myself.

Bear in mind that the PAL release of Zero has a pretty serious bug in terms of the speedo: it says MPH but the speed given is actually KMH. It might not be speed optimized either, but I'm not sure.

cj_iwakura

Is there any benefit to adjusting suspension, transmission, and clutch/differential? All it seems to do is increase the car's weight.

KRaZyAmmo

Is there any benefit to adjusting suspension, transmission, and clutch/differential? All it seems to do is increase the car's weight.

Actually I find adjusting the suspension helps quite a lot in terms of cornering. I was in a stock BNR32 and it basically understeered way too much in the corners. Once I stiffed the spring rates and dampers up. I was getting less understeer. So yes adjusting everything is needed because each car handles differently and has a different characteristic.

source: I emulated TXR0 on my laptop using PCSX2

I remember when I was younger fantasizing about a TXR/Shutokou Battle MMO with all the cars being legit other players, lol. Would love to see them try but I'm not sure Genki would have the resources to pull it off.

Hey hey hey the Genki Twitter account https://twitter.com/Genki_official has been going crazy teasing the restart of Genki Racing Project! They even started up a Facebook page specifically for GRP https://www.facebook.com/GenkiRacingProject/ although right now it's just talking about the company's president racing at Motegi, but the Twitter account is also retweeting all kinds of people asking for a new Shutoko Battle game and being all coy about it.

They really shouldn't play with my emotions like this. I would love to see a new SB/TXR.

It has to be 60 fps though. The X360 game broke my heart.

Tokyo Xtreme Racer: Zero is one of my favorite racing games of all time. There is definitely a massive difficulty spike like halfway through the game though.

KRaZyAmmo

Tokyo Xtreme Racer: Zero is one of my favorite racing games of all time. There is definitely a massive difficulty spike like halfway through the game though.

I just went through that. I'm about to get through 12 Zodiacs right now. Facing Speed King in my bnr32 was harrrrd

cj_iwakura

Nothing like spending countless races trying to beat a deadly rival only to have him wreck and lose all his life, heh. Anticlimactic, but I'll take it.

Hahah, Thunder Shift really is Takumi.

Practices on mountain roads, drifting on uphill curves and gripping on downhill curves.

KaidoRacer7

OP, don't despise TXR "drift". Although the bad name, Kaido Battle series isn't drift all the time and the Kaido Touge no Densetsu has a crossover with Shutokou Battle.

cj_iwakura

The fourth devil can burn in hell in a fiery wreck on the Wangan.

Here's my not-Impreza:

CqgVOfYVIAA9F2m.jpg

ViciousDS

Banned
glad to see your still playing CJ!

amazing series....also the devils are brutal.....and if you don't get them on a first try the only way to really beat them is to do the flashing lights glitch. Where you flash them and actually pass them on the challenge to start in front lol

KRaZyAmmo

For all the wangan type bosses, i usually wait until the autopilot brings me to c1 inner. (you can do that by finishing a race and then let it autopilot. Don't touch the controller). So i take the wangan bosses of their home turf where they can beat you easily.

cj_iwakura

glad to see your still playing CJ!

amazing series....also the devils are brutal.....and if you don't get them on a first try the only way to really beat them is to do the flashing lights glitch. Where you flash them and actually pass them on the challenge to start in front lol

Ha, I had that happen once, never knew how.

And I've beaten them legitimately up until this one. Usually they crash and fall way behind, or I pass them on the turns.

ViciousDS

Banned
Ha, I had that happen once, never knew how.

And I've beaten them legitimately up until this one. Usually they crash and fall way behind, or I pass them on the turns.

Yes, you can actually outsmart the AI in Zero then in 3......I think it bugged and restarted the race if you lost them in 3. Can't remember.

But in zero if you trick them into taking the wrong ramp in first....instant win baby!

KadeYuy

Zero, Timesplitters 1, and FFX were my first ps2 games. Great game. I remember freaking out when I beat speed king.

KRaZyAmmo

Yes, you can actually outsmart the AI in Zero then in 3......I think it bugged and restarted the race if you lost them in 3. Can't remember.

But in zero if you trick them into taking the wrong ramp in first....instant win baby!
I thought it would be a draw if they went on the wrong ramp.

cj_iwakura

I think that means when they try to go to a blocked off ramp and wind up pinning themselves there. Personally I love luring them into a head-on collision with an adjacent truck.

I also wear their emblems after I beat them, like I was Team Emperor.

KRaZyAmmo

I think that means when they try to go to a blocked off ramp and wind up pinning themselves there. Personally I love luring them into a head-on collision with an adjacent truck.

I also wear their emblems after I beat them, like I was Team Emperor.
I tend try to do that or get them to hit the middle pillar when a fork comes up

ViciousDS

Banned

For 3.....I think thats when they fixed it. However for Zero, as long as it was a real ramp road and was unlocked you could start going that direction and swerve back and they would get locked up against the ramp or nail the divider

KRaZyAmmo

For 3.....I think thats when they fixed it. However for Zero, as long as it was a real ramp road and was unlocked you could start going that direction and swerve back and they would get locked up against the ramp or nail the divider
I've been playing a emulator of it and everytime they go on the wrong road during a race i get a draw.

ViciousDS

Banned
I've been playing a emulator of it and everytime they go on the wrong road during a race i get a draw.

I must be forgetting things.....it's been a long time. Maybe I should fire up the old disc in a PC to up the AA and resolution. Probably still looks decent to this day

sn0man

I have this tab open and I think I’m going to close it. Clearly I need to just find a copy of Zero for PS2. Xoxoxox I miss you Tokyo Extreme series. I’m a boring adult without hours to play you.

nikos

Since this thread was bumped, I'll leave this here for anybody looking for a spiritual successor:

Top Bottom