• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Xtreme Racer: where to start?

cj_iwakura

Since I've come to grips with the fact that Maximum Tune is never getting a console release(thanks Namco), I've been told this is the next best thing:

250px-Tokyo_Xtreme_Racer_3_Coverart.jpg
latest

A cursory look at Amazon reviews suggest the best ones are between 2, 3, and 0, but I'm open to suggestions.

Not interested in Drift. I'm explicitly looking for street racing.

Leaning towards 0, since the music sounds pretty great.

Bgamer90

Banned
The only game that I've played in the series is Tokyo Xtreme Racer Zero. It was a fun game for its time (2001). The music was great too. Not sure how well it holds up now though.

theultimo

racer 3 is the sequel to 0, I would start with 0 personally, as the QOL from 2 is worth the price.

3 is also bugged unless you get a gameshark you cannot beat the game.

And seriously, drift 2 is much better then both, it's just touge instead :(

TXR3 since some of the bosses had auras around them lol. Its been awhile since I've played TXRZ but If I remember right, TXR3 cars were alittle bit more stiffer than TXRZ.

Edit: Tokyo Xtreme Racer games has some of the best intros. Gets me so hyped every time I watch them lol.

xanavi

Man, I have some really great memories playing these games. It really was like a JRPG in a racing game's body. The handling on the cars are all really terrible and the games are mega-janky but the street gangs and boss battle concepts were exactly what I was looking for around that time when Initial D was a thing.

Personally I think TXR3 has the better music between the two but the games are all so similar you cannot go wrong with any of them provided you know exactly what you're getting into.

dukie85

3, IMO, is the best version of TXR, outside of Import Tuner Challenge. There's also Street Supremacy on PSP, which was really well done IMO. I liked it because it let you go from basically a noobie street racer driving for a crew you choose, to eventually leading said crew.

Skunkers

IMO TXR3 was the best one all around, with ITC a close second (for ambition, but betrayed by a lack of content), then Zero.

Really sad this series is dead now.

EDarkness

Shutouko is my favorite racing game series of all time. I still play Shuto 2 on my Dreamcast from time to time. Just hopping in my car and driving around the highways is fun. It's a shame that Genki is gone and we won't get anymore of those games. I would love to see what they could do with the game these days. In any case, I'd recommend getting Zero to start with. I liked that one better than 3.

KRaZyAmmo

I'd start with TXR0 and then 3, then on to the Kaido Battle games. I remember TXR3 and 0 having hype music and intros. Also in 0 if you beat a boss in a lower class car (i.e. like beating an A class car with a B) you'll get more credits. This is one of my favorite racing games series. I would love a spiritual successor or something in the vein of TXR to come back.

Glowsquid

Something I'm not clear on: Is Zero a director's cut/rearranged version of 2, a port of it, or a completely separate game?

Arkam

SUCH A GREAT Game! My favorite was Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2 on the Dreamcast. It was a big step up in variety from the first. SO MANY more cars, parts and "tracks" (of the city). I know I played the later PS2 ports/sequels but not sure whether I thought were better/worse. All I know is they did not keep my interest like TXR2 did.

KRaZyAmmo

SUCH A GREAT Game! My favorite was Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2 on the Dreamcast. It was a big step up in variety from the first. SO MANY more cars, parts and "tracks" (of the city). I know I played the later PS2 ports/sequels but not sure whether I thought were better/worse. All I know is they did not keep my interest like TXR2 did.
Txr helped my discovered a ton of Japan only cars i never knew about. I also played TXR/TXR2 on dreamcast and ps2 ones. I would say they both kept my interest while playing.

Arkam

Txr helped my discovered a ton of Japan only cars i never knew about. I also played TXR/TXR2 on dreamcast and ps2 ones. I would say they both kept my interest while playing.

Same here. At least a few cars that I knew nothing about... til I had to face them on the streets of Tokyo.

The more I think about this game the more I have a bout of nostalgia euphoria. One of my "end game" cars was a bright yellow Supra with a licence plate "666" that was so quick that I couldd lag the game to single digit frames when I laid on the accelerator. It was beautiful!

cj_iwakura

I'd start with TXR0 and then 3, then on to the Kaido Battle games. I remember TXR3 and 0 having hype music and intros. Also in 0 if you beat a boss in a lower class car (i.e. like beating an A class car with a B) you'll get more credits. This is one of my favorite racing games series. I would love a spiritual successor or something in the vein of TXR to come back.
What's Kaido Battle?

Nice choice. TXR3 might have licensed cars, but there are waaaay fewer cars in total IIRC.

Yeah, I'm totally fine with knockoffs. I could tell there's a not-Impreza, not-Skyline, etc, good enough for me!

KRaZyAmmo

Man me and my friend been imaginging what would happen if there was a TXR spiritual successor. We'd imagine with the tech now it would be bug enough to support both wangan and kaido touge, tons of cars and customization. Maybe even travel to said a said shop like TRA Kyoto, Varis, ect and actually bjy parts from them. Or keep it traditional in the menu.

We also imagine you can actually meet people via PA like Daikoku Futo, Umihotaru, and Tatsumi. And of course you'd have your custom car set ups and stance and camber on your car. Also custom livery editor. Money earned by both official and illegal races. I think the legendary Mid Night racing angan crew would ultimately be the ones the beat.

ViciousDS

Banned
Decided to pick up Zero. Looking forward to it once it arrives.

Get ready to grab a guide on how to race all the wanderers. 3 had tips in their description I don't think zero did......some liked a certain number....letter in your license plate just to race.

KRaZyAmmo

Get ready to grab a guide on how to race all the wanderers. 3 had tips in their description I don't think zero did......some liked a certain number....letter in your license plate just to race.
There's a guide for wanderers requirements on 0. I know. I beat all 400 rivals.

cj_iwakura

Man me and my friend been imaginging what would happen if there was a TXR spiritual successor. We'd imagine with the tech now it would be bug enough to support both wangan and kaido touge, tons of cars and customization. Maybe even travel to said a said shop like TRA Kyoto, Varis, ect and actually bjy parts from them. Or keep it traditional in the menu.

We also imagine you can actually meet people via PA like Daikoku Futo, Umihotaru, and Tatsumi. And of course you'd have your custom car set ups and stance and camber on your car. Also custom livery editor. Money earned by both official and illegal races. I think the legendary Mid Night racing angan crew would ultimately be the ones the beat.

Maximum Tune's probably as close as it gets. (And no console release, to Namco's infinite stupidity.)

KRaZyAmmo

Maximum Tune's probably as close as it gets. (And no console release, to Namco's infinite stupidity.)

Me and my friend were just spit balling and going off ideas that would work for current gen consoles/PC. We really wanted to revive the TXR series back as a spiritual successor and all those ideas are what we came up with. We figured to get actual parts for the tuning/customization with some universal parts like fender flares (and neons if you wanted).
Also I did do an Zero from TXR0 on the latest NFS. (we also gave him a weird narrative where he's mystery idlers racer)
Zero 1
Zero 2

eifer

Tokyo Xtreme Racer was probably my most-played Dreamcast game. Such fond memories of that game. I know it was incredibly simplistic, but damn was it fun.

cj_iwakura

Me and my friend were just spit balling and going off ideas that would work for current gen consoles/PC. We really wanted to revive the TXR series back as a spiritual successor and all those ideas are what we came up with. We figured to get actual parts for the tuning/customization with some universal parts like fender flares (and neons if you wanted).
Also I did do an Zero from TXR0 on the latest NFS. (we also gave him a weird narrative where he's mystery idlers racer)
Zero 1
Zero 2

Broken links. What I like about MT, of all things, is the way plot is integrated into the races, how rivals appear with comments during races.

story_scr4.jpg

SephLuis

I guess Maximum Tune is the last arcade game that I still want to see on consoles.

Hatsune Miku Arcade is launching this month and groove coaster 2 released on ipad/android too. Really would like to see this on consoles since the nearest arcade with the game is halfway around the world.

KRaZyAmmo

Broken links. What I like about MT, of all things, is the way plot is integrated into the races, how rivals appear with comments during races.

story_scr4.jpg

Zero 1
Zero 2

^ hopefully working links. That's cool that they integrate the plot into the races. I know in TXR series you usually go to Rivals List to see their backstory essentially like how Knife and Forks is a racing gang that are a Chinese restaurant employees, ect.

Ryman

I've always liked this series, although it baffles me why they released Import Tuner Challenge on the 360 but not he PS3, which is a shame; I always wanted to play it.

cj_iwakura

Zero 1
Zero 2

^ hopefully working links. That's cool that they integrate the plot into the races. I know in TXR series you usually go to Rivals List to see their backstory essentially like how Knife and Forks is a racing gang that are a Chinese restaurant employees, ect.

Yep, very nice.

You can start out racing one rival in MT, then all of a sudden the Devil Z shows up and the rest of the racers start flipping out, it's great.

KRaZyAmmo

Yep, very nice.

You can start out racing one rival in MT, then all of a sudden the Devil Z shows up and the rest of the racers start flipping out, it's great.
Really wish they bought the Wangan Midnight games to the west. I'm craving for something like TXR on current gen. (or if someone does that idea that me and my friend had)

cj_iwakura

Just got it today, starting soon.

Why does this include a trailer for Fast & The Furious? Heh. Also includes some documentary that might be interesting.

shagia

I can't believe this thread exists!

I haven't played all of the TXR games, but I honestly suggest doing TXR0 and if you own a 360, Import Tuner Challenge (which is definitely the same game)

also, may I ask why you're not interested in the Drift games? No judgement, just wonderin'

I'd suggest 3 for the expanded locations and variety if you like your first taste, but also TXR: Drift 2. Think motorsports aspects, ridiculous upgrades and hillclimbs. Reviewed horribly because it's an organizational mess, but good fun to just goof off and fly around mountain passes with names you'd probably recognize from elsewhere.

Would kill for any new game in this niche, but I appreciate how small it is.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Well this is a thread I never expected to pop up. Might have to go find the PS2 and jump in again.

DiscoJer

Just got it today, starting soon.

Why does this include a trailer for Fast & The Furious? Heh. Also includes some documentary that might be interesting.

At one time Genki was working on a F&F game, but it got cancelled (or was vaporware).

Then a few years later the PS2 and PSP got an actual F&F game that was clearly modeled after the TXR series, but not as good.

Arex

I'd suggest 3 for the expanded locations and variety if you like your first taste, but also TXR: Drift 2. Think motorsports aspects, ridiculous upgrades and hillclimbs. Reviewed horribly because it's an organizational mess, but good fun to just goof off and fly around mountain passes with names you'd probably recognize from elsewhere.

Would kill for any new game in this niche, but I appreciate how small it is.

I like that you can get sponsors on the TXR drift (Kaido Battle) haha, and the OP is pretty nice.

danowat

Banned
There's also Import Tuner Challenge for the Xbox 360 which is basically a spiritual sequel.
I'm probably one of the few who actually enjoyed it.

There has been a lack of this type of racer, apart from the God awful Juiced, and Juiced 2 HiN, there hasn't been much at all.

Wonder if Rockstar could be pursued to make a next gen Midnight Club, but in Tokyo.

cj_iwakura

Boy they weren't very subtle about the not-brandings in this game. I can clearly see the Mitsubishi logo on the front of the not-Evo.

Wow, the tuning options are INSANE. Never seen this kind of depth before.

Top Bottom