• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Xtreme Racer: where to start?

If you have a PSP, then Street Supremacy is essentially a portable TXR, and it's a ton of fun!

Haha, bless. I think every review panned it. It was pretty rough. I should know! ;)

Genki indeed is "dead". Got bought out by a pachiko company and then...I dunno, did it also get folder into AQI? It's such a mess of buyouts...

As for the F&F game.... yeah, that got cancelled. I worked on that too.

cj_iwakura

Feeeelllls, Clever Drive and Metropolis are pure nostalgia.

Someone already said this on a Forza thread, but I would love a Forza Horizon set in Japan, with the drift possibilities of the mountains, and the other awesome looking races set in town.

Wow, some of those songs are in Zero. In fact a third of them are. :p Clever Drive is my favorite.

Not a huge fan of the Americanized rival names... unless the JP version actually named them all that.

The rival emblems remind me of Ace Combat Zero.

Squoig

Banned
No, it didn't. That's not Maximum Tune. It's based on the same series, but it's not developed by Namco like MT is.
(If I had a dollar for every time someone thought it was...)

Ah. I thought Maximum Tune was just shorthand for WMMT. Here's another dollar for ya then :)

cj_iwakura

Ah. I thought Maximum Tune was just shorthand for WMMT. Here's another dollar for ya then :)

It is, the Genki version is just called Wangan Midnight though. I played it in an arcade once. It's fun, but nowhere near as in-depth as the Namco games.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
4994934300038F.JPG

This right here and a VGA box=Gaming Bliss.

Sooooo much fun. Now I feel like playing it again.

wipeout364

This game was amazing on the dreamcast but I remember it creating controller throwing rage at several points. It had such great atmosphere though and it felt like Japanese tuner culture was still super cool ( i.e. Hadn't been done to death in games) when it came out. Really I think the original is an unrecognized classic.

Haha, bless. I think every review panned it. It was pretty rough. I should know! ;)

Genki indeed is "dead". Got bought out by a pachiko company and then...I dunno, did it also get folder into AQI? It's such a mess of buyouts...

They have tweeted about making another Shutoko Battle if they can drum up enough interest... in 2015.

It's late but everyone in this thread should retweet this!

https://twitter.com/Genki_official/status/590342085904969728

nikos

Loved this series so much, since Tokyo Highway Battle. I still periodically check Genki's site and have been wishing for another TXR forever, or at least a spiritual successor. I'd even take Import Tuner Challenge sequel.

KRaZyAmmo

From 0, my favorite songs were Edge of Heaven, Night Fly, Hi Gear, Ride Ride Ride, and Departure from Zero. Edge of Heaven is just really good chill music.

cj_iwakura

Were you part of Genki, or Crave?

shagia

awww, that's just a shame to hear. it's cool hearing about this from you, though!

Were you part of Genki, or Crave?

Genki.

Ages ago tho. I was still a smoker and you were allowed to smoke at your desk if you brought in your own (utterly pointless) desk-air-purifier. At the time there was only one other foreigner working there (though not in dev). Mad times. Good for the young, you know?

I'm not quite sure how much I could really say about F&F, so I'll err on the side of caution and say nothing.

Worked on the PSP Shutokou Battle, Racing Battle, did some artwork on Keido (?) Battle too. Good bunch of lads there. The racing team was full of car maniacs, they really gave a damn.

Genki.

Ages ago tho. I was still a smoker and you were allowed to smoke at your desk if you brought in your own (utterly pointless) desk-air-purifier. At the time there was only one other foreigner working there (though not in dev). Mad times. Good for the young, you know?

I'm not quite sure how much I could really say about F&F, so I'll err on the side of caution and say nothing.

Worked on the PSP Shutokou Battle, Racing Battle, did some artwork on Keido (?) Battle too. Good bunch of lads there. The racing team was full of car maniacs, they really gave a damn.

That's really cool, thanks for posting and for helping to make some great games. I gotta say I'm surprised an outfit as small as Genki would have a couple foreigners working for them (or I guess they were a bit bigger back in those days?) How did you come to work for them?

I gotta say I'm surprised an outfit as small as Genki would have a couple foreigners working for them (or I guess they were a bit bigger back in those days?) How did you come to work for them?

This was before the Great Gaijin Influx, which only really happened about 5, 6 years ago. This was before then. They didn't hire me for my foreignness, I was just a dev with experience, willing to work. In fact, the other foreigner there put me forward, which really helps (or helped, in those days, though I guess even these days, personal referral is always a good in). They were very good to me (but also they knew I wasn't getting a very high salary). As I said, good bunch of guys in the team. Though overworked and grumpy at the time, I have fond memories after all these years.

They were big enough. This was before the pachinko company buyout. From what I remember there was the racing team, working on 2 orso titles at a time (or rather split into two game teams), and another team that was working on something historical Japanese, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was. Some interesting, juicy goss on cancelled projects too, but I really can't on here, sorry.

Though I am not into racing games myself, and my contributions were marginal at best, it's always nice to hear people enjoying those games. PSP Shutokou Battle is arguably the worst in the series (from what I gather from reviews).

cj_iwakura

Genki.

That's really cool. And yeah, I can tell from the sheer amount of cars and tuning options that they know their stuff. Maybe some of them went on to work on Maximum Tune and/or Initial D?

Is it easy to emulate 0 on PC? I have the game and a ps2 but no CRTV or a TV with standard component cables.

Edit: Thanks Aerocrane

Aerocrane

Is it easy to emulate 0 on PC? I have the game and a ps2 but no CRTV or a TV with standard component cables.

The game works alright in PCSX2. No graphical issues that I recall. Worked fine with upscaling. I think there are (were?) some issues with audio though. Sound cutting out at times and music playing only from the left side of my headphones.
The later Genki racing games have graphical issues when running at higher than native resolution.

Chaser324

Banned
Having a blast, but I'm getting a little tired of the starting highway. When/how do I unlock more areas?

Um...I kinda have some bad news for you. There are some additional highway sections that you do open up, but they're not really different areas exactly. I think they unlock after you've beat a certain number of the 13 Devils.

cj_iwakura

Um...I kinda have some bad news for you. There are some additional highway sections that you do open up, but they're not really different areas exactly. I think they unlock after you've beat a certain number of the 13 Devils.

I mean the different parts of the highway. In free ride the entire Wangan is available for instance, but in Quest only Kasumigeki is.

lem0n

Lord, a TXR thread? Posting in here just to remind myself to read in here tomorrow on lunch.

Start with Zero if you have the means, it was the pinnacle of the series. Then if you need native HD move to the 360 release, if you want to cry move to the drift series

chepu

Since I've come to grips with the fact that Maximum Tune is never getting a console release(thanks Namco), I've been told this is the next best thing:

250px-Tokyo_Xtreme_Racer_3_Coverart.jpg
latest

A cursory look at Amazon reviews suggest the best ones are between 2, 3, and 0, but I'm open to suggestions.

Not interested in Drift. I'm explicitly looking for street racing.

Leaning towards 0, since the music sounds pretty great.

On PS2, start with 3, has LOTS of customization options, a good chunk of cars and LOTS of enemies, with a nice story and one of the greatest intros ever.

if you have an xbox 360 pick up import tuner challenge which is good, but imo its not better than txr3.

also you say you want street racing, I bet the drift series are way more street-ier than txr3 as you race in mountain passes and meet people in parking lots etc.

superb games, the best thing is they even have stories of almost all the racers.

now Im missing those games. oh well.

low-G

I love(d) my import version of 2 on Dreamcast... Still have it.

Haven't looked too far, but it seems to me the Japanese version has way better music?

Also, what's this I hear about unlicensed cars? All licensed...

rrs

I love(d) my import version of 2 on Dreamcast... Still have it.

Haven't looked too far, but it seems to me the Japanese version has way better music?

Also, what's this I hear about unlicensed cars? All licensed...
all but name cars (model designations in the USA version of 2), but honestly I wouldn't not be surprised if the USA version had worse (or the same) music since the games were localized at the lowest cost possible (and messed with the cash gain too, I hear)

Rizific

did anyone play racing lagoon on the ps1? i remember renting an imported copy from my local anime shop to play on my chipped ps1. it was an rpg made by squaresoft with similar-ish racing to txr. after beating someone in a race, you got to choose one of their parts to take and put on your car. since it was imported and i cant read japanese, i never got very far. but damn that game was something back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beQ073Q9oPs

rrs

did anyone play racing lagoon on the ps1? i remember renting an imported copy from my local anime shop to play on my chipped ps1. it was an rpg made by squaresoft with similar-ish racing to txr. after beating someone in a race, you got to choose one of their parts to take and put on your car. since it was imported and i cant read japanese, i never got very far. but damn that game was something back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beQ073Q9oPs
I want this game now

Accoun

I'm not exactly hopeful, but were any of them released in PAL?

I guess the PSP one would still be easiest to play.

Aerocrane

I'm not exactly hopeful, but were any of them released in PAL?

I guess the PSP one would still be easiest to play.

Of the PS2 games only Tokyo Xtreme Racer Zero and two of the Kaido Battle games were released in PAL:
Tokyo Xtreme Racer (Tokyo Xtreme Racer Zero, Shutokou Battle 0)
Kaido Racer (Kaido Battle 2: Chain Reaction)
Kaido Racer 2 (Tokyo Xtreme Racer Drift 2, Kaido Battle: Touge no Densetsu)

cj_iwakura

Phew... finally beat Traitor Jack Knife. Good god, what a monster. The other Devil on the Kanjyo line is even scarier.

bjork

Man, TXR. What good memories. I think TXR 2 is probably my favorite Dreamcast game. I remember buying it and getting a VHS tape about dudes in Japan actually racing. I think this was on one of the PS2 TXR games as an extra? Anyway, super fun games and absolutely great for unwinding after a night at work, just cruising around and racing. I remember the last boss in TXR 2 being near impossible and I cheesed him to win, I think? Anyway, definitely a series I miss seeing new entries from.

I was chasing a Wanderer, but a big BATTLE CANCEL prompt came up when I challenged him...

As I recall, some of the opponents had specific conditions, like you needed x miles driven in a car or a certain drivetrain in order to challenge them.

cj_iwakura

Yeah, it bears mentioning that this is everything I wanted out of a street racing game. Only the lack of music variety and more story keeps it from being perfect. Though it has one or two tracks I love, namely Clever Drive.

Some of the skyline shots in the background are great, especially considering the age of the game.

Nakazato

PS2 to Ps4 classics please. I fucking loved this game growing up. One of the best budget games ever. Btw how were the drifting ones ? Never played them.

SquishLiz

Banned
I guess this is the official TXR thread

Real talk, guys. Why does Tokyo Xtreme Racer Zero on the PS2 have almost zero sense of speed compared to other titles in the series? It's so bad that I can't even enjoy it, hah.

cj_iwakura

I guess this is the official TXR thread

Real talk, guys. Why does Tokyo Xtreme Racer Zero on the PS2 have almost zero sense of speed compared to other titles in the series? It's so bad that I can't even enjoy it, hah.

Define 'sense of speed'? Seems pretty fast paced to me.

Pretty much the only thing Genki has done recently is rerelease a couple old titles, so maybe TXR could get released again on PS4 who knows.

Top Bottom