• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Summer Olympics 2021... I mean 2020 Thread

reksveks

Not sure what you mean. She's not doing the event later today. Is there more women's events after it?
Yeah, today is the competition where each competitor have to do one round on each apparatus.

Starting Sunday is the individual apparatus competitions where you do each apparatus but multiple times (not 100% sure on the rules in terms of scoring)

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If that prevented somebody else from competing otherwise in her spot, she should be banned from future Olympics then. that's a scuffed move, unless u got some heath issue's created by a event on the olympics like injuring yourself.
For Olympic bans, that depends on your interpretation of timing of quitting.

The gymnastics teams have back ups, so there's always someone there to pitch in.

Or are you thinking competing should be all or nothing (either accept showing up and competing all the way, or if youre going to quit then quit before it started)

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yeah, today is the competition where each competitor have to do one round on each apparatus.

Starting Sunday is the individual apparatus competitions where you do each apparatus but multiple times (not 100% sure on the rules in terms of scoring)
Good point. I tried googling it and seems like no confirmation if she'll do or not the single apparatus events.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
1tWhibs.gif

Alternate ending:

Maverick gets spooked in the climax and flies back to the carrier. In the distance, his fellow pilots scream, "HELP!! MAVERICK!! AGGHHHH--" Maverick turns off his radio. He has to do what's right for his mental health.

Maverick receives a standing ovation from the carrier personnel as he lands. The applause is cut short as the carrier explodes in a firestorm from the Soviet fighter attack Maverick had been sent to prevent.

Roll credits.

Tschumi

Pretty sure the German judoka currently fighting a Cuban shouted out "mein kampf!" When she was walking out.. that's okay she was probably saying some stuff to psyche herself up (she kept on going but the commentators drowned her out) that just took the form of a valid German phrase but it was pretty striking lol

Last edited:

INC

I dont get this yank gymnast thing, 1 side is say she just quit because she had a mental health issue, another is saying she was Injured, and another is saying the judges refused to score her because she was too good, so whats true? All of it?

Wtf is all this shit? Just get on the mat and do a rollie pollie

thefool

What is true is that other athletes were better than her this time. They are the ones who deserve credit and being celebrated. Just like she had the spotlight last time, this time it should be them, not these shenanigans some media is trying to create. Athletes mentally folding are dime a dozen. To fail to recgonize others superiority is unsportsmanlike.

Toots

Gold Member
🥋
I wore my Mr Judo tee shirt yesterday at work in honor of the French Judoka whooping ass (or getting disqualified in the finals when they are tired of whooping ass).
And tomorrow Riner fights 👌 :messenger_sunglasses:

Reactions: Gp1
Mental is also a part of the sport, who can keep it together the best when it matters. Biles wasn't able to this time and thus she ends up in last place. She gave up and that's her prerogative but all this means is she isn't the best anymore.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I don’t think anyone was saying he wasn’t as an overall coach.

Fair enough on Keri and we can leave it. (She is awesome…. And just watching that video again is inspirational).

Only idiots would discredit the achievements of Biles. Not even worth engaging. The discussion to be had is really about the mental game of all athletes and what the US Olympic/ gymnastics can do to help their athletes perform at their highest level which also means the mental game.

From an article posted earlier that was posted by the person I quoted, she said she had the Twisties which is something dangerous to have in gymnastics. That's why she pulled out. Not pressure.

Toots

Gold Member
This games is a joke tbh

they had the shittiest run one can have...
Like they were the worst athlete of the whole competition in their sport.
Billie Jean King was important socially because she won. She was shoving down every machist dude throat that women were capable, and could be even more than men.
That dudegirl just showed every alphabet people hating redneck that they (meaning it) were good to nothing.

Toots

Gold Member
Pretty sure the German judoka currently fighting a Cuban shouted out "mein kampf!" When she was walking out.. that's okay she was probably saying some stuff to psyche herself up (she kept on going but the commentators drowned her out) that just took the form of a valid German phrase but it was pretty striking lol
"Mein kampf" means "my fight" so yeah she was just psyching herself up like "this is my fight"
What was strange was when she said "Ich werde diesen dreckigen Juden töten", but i'm not here to judge :messenger_blowing_kiss:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This games is a joke tbh

And here many of us thought these situations were super small no-name high school events.

Never knew it was at Olympics.

Tschumi

This games is a joke tbh

i watched that live, Iiiii'm not creative enough to say 'wait a moment, she's kinda chubby, she must be 'non-binary'" I just thought she was a bit chubby and very personable... Was great to see how light and deft they were on that board despite being of similar dimensions to a... dugong... (sorry couldn't resist)

200.gif

so it's not a 'she', so it's a 'they', alright i'll remember that, but i don't feel bad for not picking up on it, i typically ignore 'flare' like tattoos, hairstyles and clothing when adjudging anybody, anyway... so her quiff didn't really speak to me about anything other than how much i would hate having that flopping around on my head... few crimes chill me more than bald men who wear fedoras at midnight *shivver*

:/ this forum isn't historically the place to say this, but i think the people who get triggered by the expansion of our interpretations of gender are, like, in the words of dj khaled, playing themselves

Last edited:

Raven117

From an article posted earlier that was posted by the person I quoted, she said she had the Twisties which is something dangerous to have in gymnastics. That's why she pulled out. Not pressure.
And twisties are caused by pressure it seems. In the end, no matter how you slice it, she cracked under an absolute insane amount of pressure. It just manifested as “twisties.”

Again, any mortal would crack under that the whole weight of the olympics on their shoulders. I’m not “blaming” her. There needs to be more support for our athletes in the mental head space. Just like any other part of training so our athletes are running at 100 percent

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
And twisties are caused by pressure it seems. In the end, no matter how you slice it, she cracked under an absolute insane amount of pressure. It just manifested as “twisties.”

Again, any mortal would crack under that the whole weight of the olympics on their shoulders. I’m not “blaming” her. There needs to be more support for our athletes in the mental head space. Just like any other part of training so our athletes are running at 100 percent

Agreed!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This is what some of us are talking about when it comes to staying in the game and not quitting.

Remember, this is Olympics. Not beer league slobs playing after dinner.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
This is what some of us are talking about when it comes to staying in the game and not quitting.

Remember, this is Olympics. Not beer league slobs playing after dinner.

And myself and Raven117 Raven117 ... Mostly Raven ... Posted that she had something called the Twisties... Which is why she pulled out. Raven posted the article. This wasn't mere pressure or whatnot.

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
we prob need a thread dedicated to Simone biles dropping out where people who can't perform any of these sports at a rudimentary level can discuss how the world is becoming weak and hopefully some will catch on to the irony

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
And myself and Raven117 Raven117 ... Mostly Raven ... Posted that she had something called the Twisties... Which is why she pulled out. Raven posted the article. This wasn't mere pressure or whatnot.
Doesnt really matter what the reason is. She quit. You can keep avoiding admitting that, but she quit.

Her twistie moment is a 180 vs. the fencer article I posted where someone limped to the end and won gold.

Raven117

I did? I did say that the pressure caused the twisties...so in the end...it was pressure. Very unfortunate and we need to address more of the mental game in sports...but that doesn't change the fact that the pressure caused her to crack. (again, not blaming her...it is what it is...).

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Doesnt really matter what the reason is. She quit. You can keep avoiding admitting that, but she quit.

Her twistie moment is a 180 vs. the fencer article I posted where someone limped to the end and won gold.
she quit man. she admits it. it's not up for debate. no one is arguing with you. it's over. I'm sure you can find many articles about north koreans continuing to compete despite injuries and their own safety, but that's not how we do things in the civilized world where we value the individual

INC

she quit man. she admits it. it's not up for debate. no one is arguing with you. it's over. I'm sure you can find many articles about north koreans continuing to compete despite injuries and their own safety, but that's not how we do things in the civilized world where we value the individual

Oh really?

3bGskAB.jpg

reksveks

The Russian fencer could have subbed out if they wanted to and also were the real heavy favourites going into that final btw. Also wasn't like to damage her chances in future competitions in the tournament.

Very different circumstances.

People make their choices. This is true. And people have opinions about those choices. She’s free to do what she wants.

She is an amazing talent and a champion. But people who stare down adversity and overcome it are doing something great. We should celebrate that. And it is disappointing when someone who is extremely gifted isn’t able to do that. Doesn’t mean she’s a bad person. But it does indicate that she didn’t have the mental toughness necessary to be a champion at the Olympics this year, which is a shame. I’m sure if her teammates were being truly honest, they’re disappointed as well. Silver is great, but most of them will never have a chance at Olympic gold again.

Last edited:

reksveks

People make their choices. This is true. And people have opinions about those choices. She’s free to do what she wants.

She is an amazing talent and a champion. But people who stare down adversity and overcome it are doing something great. We should celebrate that. And it is disappointing when someone who is extremely gifted isn’t able to do that. Doesn’t mean she’s a bad person. But it does indicate that she didn’t have the mental toughness necessary to be a champion at the Olympics this year, which is a shame. I’m sure if her teammates were being truly honest, they’re disappointed as well. Silver is great, but most of them will never have a chance at Olympic gold again.

Lets see if she returns for the individual event this year.

Oh really?

3bGskAB.jpg
The amount of examples out there are actually pretty amazing. The Curt Schilling bloody sock immediately comes to mind, when he pitched 7 innings on a torn ankle tendon where the team doctor performed experimental surgery to graft the tendon tissue directly to his skin so he could pitch, and a bloodstain appeared on his sock before he even started pitching because it was oozing blood.

Gp1

1tWhibs.gif

Alternate ending:

Maverick gets spooked in the climax and flies back to the carrier. In the distance, his fellow pilots scream, "HELP!! MAVERICK!! AGGHHHH--" Maverick turns off his radio. He has to do what's right for his mental health.

Maverick receives a standing ovation from the carrier personnel as he lands. The applause is cut short as the carrier explodes in a firestorm from the Soviet fighter attack Maverick had been sent to prevent.

Roll credits.

NickFire

I did? I did say that the pressure caused the twisties...so in the end...it was pressure. Very unfortunate and we need to address more of the mental game in sports...but that doesn't change the fact that the pressure caused her to crack. (again, not blaming her...it is what it is...).
What exactly does needing to address more of the mental game actually mean? Is there some reason we can't just admit someone choked under pressure and blew their chance? Cause last I checked, the mental aspect of every single competitive sport was part of the sport itself. And when someone can't handle the pressure, they chocked and blew it, regardless of prior successes.

Raven117

What exactly does needing to address more of the mental game actually mean? Is there some reason we can't just admit someone choked under pressure and blew their chance? Cause last I checked, the mental aspect of every single competitive sport was part of the sport itself. And when someone can't handle the pressure, they chocked and blew it, regardless of prior successes.
See some interviews with Phelps. He talks about the mental head space a lot. https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/19/health/michael-phelps-depression/index.html

She did choke. She choked and cracked under an insane amount of pressure. Doesn't mean athletic institutions should not also train in the mental game. (ie sports psychology).

Raven117

Perfectly said.

NickFire

Raven117

I guess we're on the same page. It just feels weird to me that there's any suggestion of this being a training failure in any respect.
Oh, without being some expert, I think there is probably more things the athletic institutions can do to help support athletes mental health. Not cracking can be a part of training.

HoodWinked

🤔 Ritalin, even more layers to this thing. She might have been taking Ritalin for her ADHD? But it's also considered a PED and in Japan seems very difficult to get or highly restricted. Possible she had to get off the meds which could have thrown her off but also Ritalin can increase focus which gives her an advantage. Really a grey area.

Last edited:

LOLCats

Banned
started streaming one of the surfing competitions, when they ran a commercial that interrupted/missed an entire wave for a surfer, i bailed and havnt gone back.

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
🤔 Ritalin, even more layers to this thing. She might have been taking Ritalin for her ADHD? But it's also considered a PED and in Japan seems very difficult to get or highly restricted. Possible she had to get off the meds which could have thrown her off but also Ritalin can increase focus which gives her an advantage. Really a grey area.

well if cannabis are banned, prob need to ban stims too lol

that being said, I wonder if this has any merit. being off stimulants when your body is used to them your original problems are going be twofold now, so its certainly plausible. however, I'm highly suspicious that the US olympics team could not find a way to get her the meds....

also I'm pretty sure all these athletes (Phelps, etc) are on that shit, but I'm guessing most countries don't ban the substance.

Last edited:
Top Bottom