• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Summer Olympics 2021... I mean 2020 Thread

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
1200px-2020_Summer_Olympics_logo_new.svg.png

July 23, 2021 - August 8, 2021

A starter thread. It's started already with Women's Softball. And Women's Soccer starts tomorrow too.

Last edited:

ranmafan

I really wish I could be excited for these games. The Olympics are the thing I’ve loved the most for most of my life. I’ve been watching them since LA in 84 when I was just 5. I’ve recorded them, watched them over and over, studied the games, and supported them in so many ways. The games coming to Japan which has become my home the past 15 years was a dream come true, cause finally I could go to the games and fulfill a lifelong dream. When I got my two tickets to them in 2019 I was happier than anyone can imagine.

then Covid happened. The delay, the constant promises that everything would be all right, that the games would go on and we would all celebrate and be united and that at least those of us in Japan could go. Then two weeks ago, they took away my dream. When they announced that almost all spectators would be banned I was heartbroken and dejected beyond belief. I found myself in tears for days and it’s still causing me depression and sadness. Yes it was the decision that had to be made now, but only cause the people running it are insanely stubborn and refused to delay one more year even though it’s what most people here wanted. Now we have a games that so many people are angry is still going on here and will leave a legacy that is guaranteed to be viewed as the worst games due to the situation and the eventual cost overruns from it.

as for me, I tried today to watch even a minute of the games but it was two painful. 40 years of my life waiting for this moment. Eight years of planning to go all wasted. And barely any meaningful apologies from those in charge. It’s so sad for me to feel this way. The Olympics always bring me joy. But this one brings me nothing but heartache and depression

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
I really wish I could be excited for these games. The Olympics are the thing I’ve loved the most for most of my life. I’ve been watching them since LA in 84 when I was just 5. I’ve recorded them, watched them over and over, studied the games, and supported them in so many ways. The games coming to Japan which has become my home the past 15 years was a dream come true, cause finally I could go to the games and fulfill a lifelong dream. When I got my two tickets to them in 2019 I was happier than anyone can imagine.

then Covid happened. The delay, the constant promises that everything would be all right, that the games would go on and we would all celebrate and be united and that at least those of us in Japan could go. Then two weeks ago, they took away my dream. When they announced that almost all spectators would be banned I was heartbroken and dejected beyond belief. I found myself in tears for days and it’s still causing me depression and sadness. Yes it was the decision that had to be made now, but only cause the people running it are insanely stubborn and refused to delay one more year even though it’s what most people here wanted. Now we have a games that so many people are angry is still going on here and will leave a legacy that is guaranteed to be viewed as the worst games due to the situation and the eventual cost overruns from it.

as for me, I tried today to watch even a minute of the games but it was two painful. 40 years of my life waiting for this moment. Eight years of planning to go all wasted. And barely any meaningful apologies from those in charge. It’s so sad for me to feel this way. The Olympics always bring me joy. But this one brings me nothing but heartache and depression
Travel to Paris for the next games and have fun. It doesn't take eight years to order tickets.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Looking forward to team USA basketball steam-rolling everyone! :messenger_sunglasses:
You never know. USA lost two exhibition games the past few weeks! However, with the finals over a few good Phx/Bucks guys are going over.

But after the losses, USA did easily beat the third team they played.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
is it on? i dunno it feels like compared to the Euros everyone was watching it and talking about it and it was everywhere... Olympics.. fuck i didnt even realize it had started.. please tell me the Japs had Mechagodzilla light the Olympic flame on opening nite

Cyberpunkd

is it on? i dunno it feels like compared to the Euros everyone was watching it and talking about it and it was everywhere... Olympics.. fuck i didnt even realize it had started.. please tell me the Japs had Mechagodzilla light the Olympic flame on opening nite
They will have no spectators, and foreign tourists are not even allowed into Japan right now. It's incredibly stupid decision to host the Olympics this year.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Don't travel to Paris, I am greatly enjoying our tourist-free summer, cannot imagine what sort of a mess it will be in 2024, I guess I need to go somewhere for a month.
Ya, whats it like in the summer there? Is it that clusterfucky with tourists everywhere? Or only downtown? Are the touristy parts of Paris spread out or concentrated in parts of the city?

Toronto isnt really a tourist city, so summers are fine here.

spons

Gold Member
Dutch soccer game is a prime example of how you can win 10 to 3 and still play like ass. They're not going to survive long in the tournament I'm afraid. And how the hell did the US manage to lose?

"had"? The opening ceremony is on Friday while the games have actually already started today.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Ya, whats it like in the summer there? Is it that clusterfucky with tourists everywhere? Or only downtown? Are the touristy parts of Paris spread out or concentrated in parts of the city?

Toronto isnt really a tourist city, so summers are fine here.
Paris as a city proper (you can check Boulevard Peripherique, it is a highway going around the city that serves as a border) is very small, 10km from one side to the other in a direct line. People are living everywhere in Paris, there is no defined residential district.

As for touristy parts they are mostly concentrated around the river Seine - from 1st to 6th districts, but given Paris is one big museum you will find tourists everywhere.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Paris as a city proper (you can check Boulevard Peripherique, it is a highway going around the city that serves as a border) is very small, 10km from one side to the other in a direct line. People are living everywhere in Paris, there is no defined residential district.

As for touristy parts they are mostly concentrated around the river Seine - from 1st to 6th districts, but given Paris is one big museum you will find tourists everywhere.
I looked at some maps and yes, Paris is 100km2, but its surrounded by suburbs though. Never the less I never knew Paris was that small.

Toronto is stated as 630 km2, but looking at the map a good chunk of the eastern part might be Toronto, but it's not the core part. I'd ballpark the actual core part of the city is around 400 km2. And downtown is a fraction of that.

Websites say the population density is about 4x higher than Toronto. Fuck. And Toronto already has enough condos. Downtown is dense though as its condo mania.

Touristy parts of Toronto are definitely skewed to downtown.

Last edited:
July 23, 2021 - August 8, 2021

Official site has a clock that shows nearly 2 days left till the opening ceremony.... > https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/en/

And despite taht fact you have games already played before olympics started?

A casual sports fan be like
Confused Hanna Barbera GIF by Warner Archive
To be fair this has always been the case. Many sports with large tournaments/group play that require rest between games start before the Olympics.

Cyberpunkd

I looked at some maps and yes, Paris is 100km2, but its surrounded by suburbs though. Never the less I never knew Paris was that small.

Toronto is stated as 630 km2, but looking at the map a good chunk of the eastern part might be Toronto, but it's not the core part. I'd ballpark the actual core part of the city is around 400 km2. And downtown is a fraction of that.

Websites say the population density is about 4x higher than Toronto. Fuck. And Toronto already has enough condos. Downtown is dense though as its condo mania.

Touristy parts of Toronto are definitely skewed to downtown.
I can tell you that the well-off either live in Paris proper, or further away past the suburbs. Of course it depends, but majority of suburbs (called banlieu in French) are mostly inhabited by poor people or immigrants (to give an extreme example there are many companies that will refuse your job application automatically if they see you living in district 93 - Seine-Saint-Denis, considered a very poor, ghetto-like district) - exceptions include Neuilly-sur-Seine or Boulogne-Billancourt. People that are well off live past the immediate districts bordering Paris (where the postal code starts with 9X e.g. 93000, 94000, etc.)

Add to this the fact that Paris proper has regulations forbidding construction of high raises (the most you can go is around 4-5 floors).

Despite huge tax and mortgage benefits of buying under-construction apartment / house in banlieu it is a mark of belonging to middle / high class to be able to buy and live in Paris.

This is very different than many cities in the world e.g. Warsaw (my home city) or Brussels (nobody lives downtown).

Last edited:

Ballthyrm

It's going to be weird watching the 100 M without Usain Bolt and swimming without Phelps.
They would both still win gold if they competed I'm afraid ...

The marathon is going to be great, lot of great racers confirmed to participate.

The only sad thing really is the total state of vaccination in Japan leading them to have empty stadium.
They had one job and really fucked up. Just put the vaccination center at the entrance of the stadium FFS.

Last edited:

CGiRanger

Banned
I feel so bad for Japan. They spent years planning and spending for 2020. Then not only do they lose 2020 due to the virus, but because of the current situation, they're putting on 2021 without any spectators, tourists or what have you. Basically any economic boon from this has become an utter bust :(

Oh and lol at US Womens Soccer showing how inept they are.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's going to be weird watching the 100 M without Usain Bolt and swimming without Phelps.
They would both still win gold if they competed I'm afraid ...

The marathon is going to be great, lot of great racers confirmed to participate.

The only sad thing really is the total state of vaccination in Japan leading them to have empty stadium.
They had one job and really fucked up. Just put the vaccination center at the entrance of the stadium FFS.
I'm too lazy to google the reasons but did a google check for rate %. Japan is balls deep low compared to many other rich countries. Here's just a snippet of a partial list. Japan at 23% while richer western countries are around 50%.

EgwEkEE.jpg

ranmafan

Travel to Paris for the next games and have fun. It doesn't take eight years to order tickets.
I would love to do that, but let’s be honest here. The price of going to a games abroad is very very high. I actually did research on that for these games to see if I could bring my parents here for it and it was simply out of my range. I have two kids, I live in Japan which is a very expensive place to live, and my job doesn’t earn me a lot of money. Honestly the best chance I might have would be la or Brisbane and that seems almost impossible considering my kids will be getting to college age around that time.

this was my one true chance. And thanks to certain crummy individuals, companies like nbc that control the games too much, and a country that refuses to do the things necessary to stop this virus like other countries around the world, my dream and millions of other Japanese fan dreams were destroyed. And now people here are so pissed the games are happening. No one wants them to go on anymore here, even the biggest fans like me. We are tired of being pushed around and forced to sacrifice so much for it with no benefits. We got screwed by this one big

INC

I would love to do that, but let’s be honest here. The price of going to a games abroad is very very high. I actually did research on that for these games to see if I could bring my parents here for it and it was simply out of my range. I have two kids, I live in Japan which is a very expensive place to live, and my job doesn’t earn me a lot of money. Honestly the best chance I might have would be la or Brisbane and that seems almost impossible considering my kids will be getting to college age around that time.

this was my one true chance. And thanks to certain crummy individuals, companies like nbc that control the games too much, and a country that refuses to do the things necessary to stop this virus like other countries around the world, my dream and millions of other Japanese fan dreams were destroyed. And now people here are so pissed the games are happening. No one wants them to go on anymore here, even the biggest fans like me. We are tired of being pushed around and forced to sacrifice so much for it with no benefits. We got screwed by this one big

Plus Paris stinks, and is horrifically overpriced

ranmafan

Plus Paris stinks, and is horrifically overpriced
Honestly I love Paris, I got to go for my honeymoon a decade ago and hope one day I can go again when I’m older. But yeah I can’t even imagine how much more overpriced it will be come 2024. The prices of going there from Japan to the Olympics will be insane. Although living in Japan, it’s insane how overpriced things are here at times even in normal times.

INC

Honestly I love Paris, I got to go for my honeymoon a decade ago and hope one day I can go again when I’m older. But yeah I can’t even imagine how much more overpriced it will be come 2024. The prices of going there from Japan to the Olympics will be insane. Although living in Japan, it’s insane how overpriced things are here at times even in normal times.

Don't get me wrong, I lived there for a while, there's lots to like about it. But the smell is not one of them

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Don't get me wrong, I lived there for a while, there's lots to like about it. But the smell is not one of them
LOL. Why is that? Too many people and taxis? Bad garbage pick up? One of those old ass cities with fuming sewer grates from hell?

Last edited:
I feel so bad for Japan. They spent years planning and spending for 2020. Then not only do they lose 2020 due to the virus, but because of the current situation, they're putting on 2021 without any spectators, tourists or what have you. Basically any economic boon from this has become an utter bust :(

Oh and lol at US Womens Soccer showing how inept they are.
They sucked it up last Olympics too. Anytime they win the World Cup they lose the Olympics after. Betting peeps take notice.

Mistake

I heard about women’s soccer trying to make a scene. I thought the olympic committee said no screwing around?

I heard about women’s soccer trying to make a scene. I thought the olympic committee said no screwing around?

Yeah them kneeling is "making a scene" lmao

They originally said that but then gave in as long as it's not specifically targeting people or whatever. Maybe because of THE WOKE MOB, or maybe because it doesn't fucking matter if they kneel. We'll never know.

Cyberpunkd

LOL. Why is that? Too many people and taxis? Bad garbage pick up? One of those old ass cities with fuming sewer grates from hell?
Honestly - dogs and homeless. Plus we are getting 30 degrees non stop now, that doesn’t help.
Actually the town council is drastically reducing the number of parking spots and even cars being allowed in the city - it’s not yet Inner London situation, but it’s getting there.

ranmafan

Yeah, those of us hat live here have seen what should've been a big win for us in many ways turned into a nightmare of epic proportions. The anger here over the whole thing since covid began is really something I've never seen to this degree in my life here. The worst part, Tokyo and Japan deserve a real Olympics and people wanted one. But we will never get another one again for a very very very long time. I'm still angry at the lack of a real honest and deep apology from the governor of Tokyo, the head of Tokyo 2020, the ioc president and the prime minister. Instead we are supposed to suck it up and deal with it like every other bad thing that happens in Japan. This time however people are finally speaking up and saying that its BS.

Porcile

I am sure the Tokyo 2020 would have been the best Olympics of all time, especially for the participants, given that Japan is probably the best country to visit in the world as a tourist. However, I am certainly relieved that even despite the government's ongoing best attempt to paint this dire situation as a positive, we will be able to skip the endless self-congratulatory Japan is so special, Japan is so unique propaganda that would of been spewing out of newspapers, TV and social media for two months. It's amusing how all the skeletons are finally coming out the closet.

Top Bottom