• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Summer Olympics 2021... I mean 2020 Thread

Bullet Club

I didn't notice until now, but where is Ben Simmons?
He decided not to go due to what happened in the NBA finals and wanting to practice so he can improve his skills for next season. You would have thought playing in the Olympics would have helped him with that but I guess not.

And congrats to the US on getting gold. They had to work a bit harder than usual this Olympics but they got there in the end.

Fake

Brazil mens soccer gold.

What about the woman punching a horse? Is she think this is Skyrim?

reksveks

I know the horse events are ones people shit on every year. But if your medal hopes rely on the whims of another creature then it really doesn’t feel like it should be an Olympic event.

Anyone care to explain why can't you bring your own horse to the Olympics? I'm a complete noob when it comes to this discipline.

The other horse events do allow national teams to bring their own horses. The modern pentathlon requires you to be a horse whisperer specifically.

Last edited:

DKehoe

Anyone care to explain why can't you bring your own horse to the Olympics? I'm a complete noob when it comes to this discipline.

The other horse events do allow national teams to bring their own horses. The modern pentathlon requires you to be a horse whisperer specifically.
I had no idea that was the clue for any of the events. I just assumed they all brought their own that they had been training with for years. I suppose someone being able to have a "better" horse as a result of them coming from a richer country is an advantage, so it levels the playing field? Kinda like when they banned that type of swimsuit that gave people an advantage. But it then just creates this element of randomness where the rider then just has to hope they have a good connection with whatever horse they are assigned.

xrnzaaas

I had no idea that was the clue for any of the events. I just assumed they all brought their own that they had been training with for years. I suppose someone being able to have a "better" horse as a result of them coming from a richer country is an advantage, so it levels the playing field? Kinda like when they banned that type of swimsuit that gave people an advantage. But it then just creates this element of randomness where the rider then just has to hope they have a good connection with whatever horse they are assigned.
But that's already happening with most disciplines. Athletes from richer countries have more money and better infrastructure to train so they're more likely to win that people with similar talent coming from poorer regions. Besides for me this should be treated as a group sport simply with an animal replacing another human being.

Last edited:

DKehoe

But that's already happening with most disciplines. Athletes from richer countries have more money and better infrastructure to train so they're more likely to win that people with similar talent coming from poorer regions.
Sure, but I don't think you'll ever be able to balance that. But something material that you actually have with you at the event is easier to police I guess? I remember hearing that the banned swimsuit led to an incredible number of records being broken and those without it were at a distinct disadvantage. It was a big controversy at the time so I'm not going to act like I'm an expert on whether or not it should have been banned.

reksveks

But that's already happening with most disciplines. Athletes from richer countries have more money and better infrastructure to train so they're more likely to win that people with similar talent coming from poorer regions.
I know cycling has a very specific rule which I assume that swimming now has. All equipment has to be commercial available to buy.

It obviously doesn't stop the disparity between the richer and poorer countries in terms of infrastructure but it does level the playing field slightly.

HoodWinked

Team equestrian was crazy. France, US and Sweden were neck and neck.

Then France who got gold last time missed and the horse refused to jump so they went from certain medal to nothing.

Then US and Sweden had a shootout and all 6 riders all had perfect runs. The US ended with a great time but then the last rider for Sweden went nuts and had an insane time for Gold.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Some of these events seem interesting enough to try watching.

Problem is there's so many events crammed each day and each TV station covering select parts of an event, nobody knows whats going on half the time. Even if you followed the schedule and wanted to watch something, it might not even be on TV if your local channels dont bother covering it.

I saw some mens 3 on 3 basketball last week and it was awesome. Too bad, all I saw out of each day I flipped through the channels was that singe day (I think CBC) showed some Latvia vs. Japan and some other game. And that's it. Never saw any snippet about 3 on 3 mens again. And even during the 3 on 3 matches, they didnt even show the entire match. They'd flip back and forth with other events going on.

Why bother even watching Olympics if there's zero standards in coverage. Unless they are assuming viewers are like me..... turn it on, flip back and forth between some sports channels and accept whatever is on is on, and thats good enough for background noise.

Last edited:

Dr.D00p

Lol..A German got sent home for punching a horse in the Pentathlon

blazing saddles horse punch GIF

..Mongo approves

Last edited:

Ballthyrm

Team equestrian was crazy. France, US and Sweden were neck and neck.

Then France who got gold last time missed and the horse refused to jump so they went from certain medal to nothing.

Then US and Sweden had a shootout and all 6 riders all had perfect runs. The US ended with a great time but then the last rider for Sweden went nuts and had an insane time for Gold.

Yeah people were mocking the next olympics for having breakdancing but at least there is no luck involved but just pure athleticism.
It's basically gymnastics without a bouncing ground anyways.

As for equestrian sports, I don't think they should be in the Olympics.
Olympics are for Humans, not other types of animals.

If Horses want medals they should organise their own Olympics.

T8SC

I usually love the Olympics, but even with all the gold medals we got, I feel like this was a total washout.

Looking back at Sydney 2000 or London 2012 etc and seeing all the camera flashes within the athletics stadium & the roar of the crowd, same with the swimming or velodrome ... I just feel like Tokyo had zero atmosphere. Not their fault of course, but given how many people were at the Euro championships, surely they could've had some spectators.

In the end, it'll have cost Japan a lot of money to host and they've had zero tourism to get that money back.

Lets hope Paris 2024 is much better. Which it will be, since I'm in almost the same time zone making it easier to watch.

ManaByte

Lets hope Paris 2024 is much better. Which it will be, since I'm in almost the same time zone making it easier to watch.
LA 2028 is going to be interesting. One of the lakes they're planning to use for rowing has diapers floating in it right now.

• LOL
Reactions: Gp1

reksveks

Hoping to convince a couple of friends to take the eurostar down to Paris for opening weekend in 2024. I just love watching sports it seems.

Cyberpunkd

Of course it will be, it’s France after all. We might bitch all the time but we know how to put on a show. Expect fuckton of beautiful women and wine being served everywhere.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Hoping to convince a couple of friends to take the eurostar down to Paris for opening weekend in 2024. I just love watching sports it seems.
On one hand - you are always welcomed here. On the other hand - you voted yourself out of the EU so…

Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

Pagusas

Elden Member
At this rate I wonder if 2024 will have Covid issues also :(this Olympic a feels so wrong with the tiny crowds

Last edited:

AJUMP23

I am sure the Chinese will develop a new bioweapon to disrupt the world by 2024.

I think the Japanese put on an awesome olympics. I think their crowds would have been amazing if they could have had them.

h00ters

Rio made me really question if I'd lost my interest in the Olympics, but I fell in love with Tokyo. So much of the enjoyment comes from being in the right time zone (which is helped a lot here being an Australian), but with no crowds, you really need to have a solid group of commentators to make up for the lack of atmospheric noise. I think the Australian broadcasters absolutely nailed it this year. I've watched some replays of events with other broadcasters providing commentary and they just don't compare. It seems like they opted to try to amp up the excitement levels by going way over the top, rather than actually providing any great level of insight. In the end, it just doesn't feel natural and further highlights the lack of crowd.

Here, our broadcaster opted to go out and get some real experts to provide some pretty amazing insights. Case in point: Ian Thorpe for the swimming. Sure he would stumble on his words on the off occasion, but his commentary was like a glimpse into the future. In the middle-long distance races, his predictions on how the race would unfold almost universally came true. Bruce Mcavaney is borderline aspergers when it comes to his knowledge of athletics and is a national treasure that we should look at freezing in the next few years so that we can thaw him out once a pill is invented that grants immortality to anyone who takes it.

SJRB

Gold Member
I am sure the Chinese will develop a new bioweapon to disrupt the world by 2024.

I think the Japanese put on an awesome olympics. I think their crowds would have been amazing if they could have had them.

They definitely tried to make the best out of a garbage situation, that's for sure.

Aarbron

China confirmed to be athletic supermen.

Despite the official Olympic tally attributing 38 gold medals to China, CCTV found a way to boost their medals by including Taiwan and Hong Kong in the overall tally. However, even including those two nations' efforts only adds three gold medals, so it is unclear where the 42nd gold has been brought in from. Taiwan and Hong Kong competed under their own flags.

Aarbron

To be fair, the US media did medal count for the whole competition. Both are equally stupid, one is a bit more worrying for the independence of Taiwan and Hong Kong assuming you believe that there is some independence there.
Ooohh, that is pretty damn dodgy too.

Top Bottom