• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Summer Olympics 2021... I mean 2020 Thread

reksveks

it is interesting that these trans athletes don't seem to have a clear advantage

Not going to post much on this topic cause I am not nearly informed enough so unlike alot of the Internet I probably should either be quiet or learn.

From the article below.

In 2004, the IOC permitted the inclusion of transgender athletes to compete in theory within their assigned gender. A decade later the governing body announced that those that have transitioned from male to female can compete in women's sport – without requiring surgery – if they have remained female for at least four years and kept testosterone levels below 10 nanomoles per litre for at least 12 months.

Hubbard qualifies having met international weightlifting rules which follow the 2015 guidelines that dictate she only needs enough medication to lower her testosterone to below 10 nmol/l. However, sporting federations are allowed to set their own tighter guidelines.

I personally don't believe people are going to be doing the long con of pretending to be a female for four years whilst taking medication to lower your testosterone. I also think we should able to admit that we don't have 100% way to determine sex. Chromosome don't work and neither does gonad's.

reksveks

I know you're just virtue signaling to your peers, but she is a trans woman. no need to be hateful to people that have done nothing to you.
Sadly, decided to view that person's comment (have already put them on the ignore list), I don't get the decision to actively disrespect other human beings by actively using incorrect pronouns.

In real life under specific circumstances, there could have been an excuse of a mistake but not here.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Congrats on Canadian women's soccer team!

Biles is going to do balance beam. So mental health disappeared less than a week later.

Last edited:

reksveks

Biles is going to do balance beam. So mental health disappeared less than a week later.
Do you think mental health issues are constant? Or binary?

Smarter people than me thought that beams were probably the easiest ones to deal with as it's the one with the least amount of flips relative to all of the events. It's also her last possible event at these games.

Last edited:

RaduN

But didn't this person take place in a qualifying event, where at least a minimum level of skill was demonstrated? Who sponsored this person? Surely there must be some minimal standards that need to be met...or can litterally anyone that is affiliated with a club get into the olympics?

Please pardon my lack of knowledge on the topic.

reksveks

But didn't this person take place in a qualifying event, where at least a minimum level of skill was demonstrated? Who sponsored this person? Surely there must be some minimal standards that need to be met...or can litterally anyone that is affiliated with a club get into the olympics?

You referring to Laurel Hubbard?

Basically yes, they would have qualified in a qualifying event. Only host countries get a free entry to events (I am not sure if it's for all events)

Last edited:

DKehoe

Which person are you talking about?

Raven117

Congrats on Canadian women's soccer team!

I think it had to do with the twisties (which is a by-product of pressure...but thats a different discussion). She has stated that twisties don't really effect her on balance beam.

Regardless, I don't think she gave up the opportunity to compete in the all around (which is GOAT stuff), to just be on the balance beam in some sort of long con.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
The transgeneder woman lost? Not surprised. She was not an athlete among her peers. Male or Female.

Last edited:

asustitan

Banned
Come on, lets get some Trans boxing then. Put up or shut up if there is no advantage.
If it is good enough for weightlifting it is good enough for boxing.

Last edited:

T8SC

Watched the interview with the Gadirova twins and it was so refreshing to see such happiness, gratitude and appreciation. Not an ounce of anything else, no complaints, just two young girls loving life even if they didn't get a medal. Hopefully they'll go on to achieve even more in 2024.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sad and funny at the same time.

Update. Player on the team did a giant apology and said they thought the village hotel bedding were gifts for athletes, so they took them. Since they ran out of luggae room, they junked their Olympic gear.

• LOL
Reactions: Gp1

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

it is interesting that these trans athletes don't seem to have a clear advantage
That's because she wasn't an athlete. Only made it as far as she did because she went trans. Men are stronger than women. There's no denying that. To do so would be to deny science.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Side topic to Winters and NHL, looks like no deal so far on marketing rights where maybe it's a tit for tat co-promotion or whatever. NHL wants some control, but IOC saying no. Similar to how pro league players in Olympics, they never say Durant plays on Brooklyn in the NBA and stuff like that.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Word origins - Heat (when to comes to racing).

Back in the 1600s, when kings weren’t hiding in oak trees or being beheaded, they enjoyed a spot of horse racing. And when they took their horse for a gallop to prepare it for a race, they called this a heat, for the obvious reason that they were warming the horse up. The word then came to be used for the race itself, and later for a qualifying race in a bigger contest.

Cyberpunkd

That's because she wasn't an athlete. Only made it as far as she did because she went trans. Men are stronger than women. There's no denying that. To do so would be to deny science.
Did you read the article? Before transitioning she competed professionally as a weightlifter and held national records . She is also decorated from another international events.
My guess would be on age - she is 43.

Last edited:

Bullet Club

i6yXRPD.jpg

gl4lBda.png

"LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!"

reksveks

The mens team pursuit just got interesting but not for good reasons.

Danes crashed in one of the Team GB riders.

Italy might get a free gold.

Last edited:

reksveks

Daiki Hashimoto have a great olympics, 1 gold already, 1 silver in the all-rounder and possible another gold at the age of 19.

Alot of gymnasts falling off the high bars.

Sadly, decided to view that person's comment (have already put them on the ignore list), I don't get the decision to actively disrespect other human beings by actively using incorrect pronouns.

In real life under specific circumstances, there could have been an excuse of a mistake but not here.
it wasnt a mistake. She is for women, He is for men, They is for multiple people. That person isn't a woman, just a man that had surgery and/or took some pills, whatever they and you might believe.

I dont care what they do and good for them if they want to be like the other gender, but dont expect me to suddenly go blind for facts just for their feelings.

That snowflakes like you put me on ignore because I triggered you with basic facts doesn't bother me in the slightest

Last edited:

McCheese

The BBC's obsession with Biles is legit scary! I tried to watch the women's gymnastics and they completely brushed over the gold medal winner to talk about how Biles is under the most pressure, is an inspiration, can literally do no wrong etc. I don't think I even caught the name of the person who won the event. There were these incredibly young Chinese competitors too, crying their eyes out after their performances; not a single word about them, until one of them went up to Biles to wish them luck at which point it from 0 to 100 "Meeting her idol Biles" "Biles showing sportsmanship"; what's up with the cult like obsession with her?

reksveks

The BBC's obsession with Biles is legit scary! I tried to watch the women's gymnastics and they completely brushed over the gold medal winner to talk about how Biles is under the most pressure, is an inspiration, can literally do no wrong etc. I don't think I even caught the name of the person who won the event. There were these incredibly young Chinese competitors too, crying their eyes out after their performances; not a single word about them, until one of them went up to Biles to wish them luck at which point it from 0 to 100 "Meeting her idol Biles" "Biles showing sportsmanship"; what's up with the cult like obsession with her?
To be fair, it's true for all of the big stars. She has kinda taken the place of Phelps and Bolt in terms of interest.

I thought it was a bit annoying and unfair as well.

I am trying to juggle watching the track events and the sports climbing.

RaduN

it wasnt a mistake. She is for women, He is for men, They is for multiple people. That person isn't a woman, just a man that had surgery and/or took some pills, whatever they and you might believe.

I dont care what they do and good for them if they want to be like the other gender, but dont expect me to suddenly go blind for facts just for their feelings.

That snowflakes like you put me on ignore because I triggered you with basic facts doesn't bother me in the slightest
Did the people that came up with the "they" adressing, ever thought about the fact that, unlike english, many languages (including my native language) have a gender attached to that plural? I could never address a person like that in a satisfactory way in my language, if i tried a million times...

reksveks

Facts lol.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/they

Go look at the definition of They

You probably believe that biology is simple. Go educate yourself. It's complicated.

Last edited:

reksveks

Did the people that came up with the "they" adressing, ever thought about the fact that, unlike english, many languages (including my native language) have a gender attached to that plural? I could never address a person like that in a satisfactory way in my language, if i tried a million times...

I don't think they would care so much if you highlighted that fact to the person in question. They has been used as a pronoun for a person whom you don't know their gender for ages.

Last edited:

DKehoe

Commentators tend to focus on the stars. I was watching some of the coverage on Sunday and saw some of the golf. They kept talking about Rory McIlroy (I don't follow golf but have heard of him) despite a bunch of other players being ahead of him.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Dont worry Simone. We already know it's all about you.

"It wasn't easy pulling out of all those competitions," Biles said. "People just thought it was easy, but I physically and mentally was not in the right head space, and I didn't want to jeopardize my health and my safety because at the end of the day, it's not worth it.

"My mental and physical health is above all medals that I could ever win. So to be clear, to do beam, which I didn't think I was going to be, just meant the world to be back out there. And I wasn't expecting to walk away with the medal. I was just going out there doing this for me."

NickFire

Commentators tend to focus on the stars. I was watching some of the coverage on Sunday and saw some of the golf. They kept talking about Rory McIlroy (I don't follow golf but have heard of him) despite a bunch of other players being ahead of him.
Speaking of golf, I think it would be cool to limit the field to amateurs or a specific age bracket. Doubtful it would ever happen though. Reason I would like it is that it kind of of just feels like a run of the mill tournament to me.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Speaking of golf, I think it would be cool to limit the field to amateurs or a specific age bracket. Doubtful it would ever happen though. Reason I would like it is that it kind of of just feels like a run of the mill tournament to me.
My friends and I talk about this sometimes.

Should Olympics be for amateurs? Or open it up to everyone (best of the best).

Doesn't make sense if Olympics is supposed to be about gold medals, being the best with world records if it's only amateurs.

But then people will say it's not fair paid pro leaguers kick ass and scoop up medals. Paid pros shouldnt get a chance to win. They've already succeeded. Give others some glory.

But then, not every sport even has pro leagues. Is it fair Michael Phelps wins a million medals with giant endorsements even though there's no pro swim league?

Last edited:
Top Bottom