• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Summer Olympics 2021... I mean 2020 Thread

AJUMP23

My friends and I talk about this sometimes.

Should Olympics be for amateurs? Or open it up to everyone (best of the best).

Doesn't make sense if Olympics is supposed to be about gold medals, being the best with world records if it's only amateurs.

But then people will say it's not fair paid pro leaguers kick ass and scoop up medals. Paid pros shouldnt get a chance to win. They've already succeeded. Give others some glory.

But then, not every sport even has pro leagues. Is it fair Michael Phelps wins a million medals with giant endorsements even though there's no pro swim league?
The US use to only take Amateur athletes, but we got tired of losing to Russian pros. So we changed the rules and sent the Dream Team to Barcelona.

reksveks

They need to rename the event as sk8boarding.

Seems like a total farce of an Olympic event.
Cause of the ages?

I am happy to be corrected cause I know fuck all about skateboarding but the xgames which seems like the other big skateboarding competition is also full of youngsters.

SirTerry-T

The BMX freestyle was a couple of days ago now but as a Brit and fan of the sport (used to race a bit when I was a callow youth), this still has me buzzing. It's a perfect example of going "All in" on your second run...

Still not sure if it is a suitable event for the Olympics but it's a lot of fun to watch.

Last edited:

Dural

Doesn't make sense if Olympics is supposed to be about gold medals, being the best with world records if it's only amateurs.

But then people will say it's not fair paid pro leaguers kick ass and scoop up medals. Paid pros shouldnt get a chance to win. They've already succeeded. Give others some glory.

But then, not every sport even has pro leagues. Is it fair Michael Phelps wins a million medals with giant endorsements even though there's no pro swim league?

Personally, I'll always want to watch the best vs the best. What's the point of the Olympics if you're not sending the best athlete at every sport? It's one of my issues with baseball, the best aren't really playing each other in the Olympics it's all minor leaguers and has beens (at least for the US team).

Japanese kids dominating Skateboarding

I haven't followed the xgames in years, are the Japanese also dominating there or is this just an Olympic thing? Did the best skateboarders not all go? I had been wondering about the newer sports like surfing, skating, and bmx freestyle whether it was all the best from the xgames and other "extreme" sports competitions and how they qualified to be in the Olympics.

Last edited:

DKehoe

The BMX freestyle was a couple of days ago now but as a Brit and fan of the sport (used to race a bit when I was a callow youth), this still hasme buzzing. It's a perfect example of going "All in" on your second run...

Still not sure if it is a suitable event for the Olympics bits it's a lot of fun to watch.

I knew next to nothing about the sport but had fun watching it. I'd be cool with seeing it included in future Olympics.

reksveks

I haven't followed the xgames in years, are the Japanese also dominating there or is this just an Olympic thing? Did the best skateboarders not all go? I had been wondering about the newer sports like surfing, skating, and bmx freestyle whether it was all the best from the xgames and other "extreme" sports competitions and how they qualified to be in the Olympics.

It does seem like the japanese are doing well in xgames, won in 2019.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
wo8uld love to see this nigerian shot putter in the ufc

Chukwuebuka-Enekwechi.png

Screenshot_20190603-102955_1559554326245.jpg

guy is massive

Pagusas

Elden Member

The Olympics are about the best, no room for anything else. It doesn't matter if you are paid or not, if you are the best at what you do you should be in the competition. Who the hell wants to watch the B team play?

reksveks

This post event appeal for the Women's sport climbing feels weird. Nothing came out of it.

Last edited:

DKehoe

Imagine calling your kid Gable Dan and then they win an Olympic gold medal in wrestling. Nominative determinism right there.

AJUMP23

I saw that an American woman won bronze in the marathon. The cool part is, that was only her third marathon.

reksveks

I saw that an American woman won bronze in the marathon. The cool part is, that was only her third marathon.
This is the woman that started racing at 33 years old? (nope that was the aussie that finished 10th)

Chinese diving is at another level.
Also Jack Carlin keeps being involved in crashes in the velodrome.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
This "modern pentathlon" is killing me, lol. One of the events is horse-riding, but the athletes get alotted a random horse with whom they have zero experience.

So it's basically luck of the draw if you get a good horse or not. Plenty people falling off horses because the horses refuse to jump or whatever.

reksveks

This "modern pentathlon" is killing me, lol. One of the events is horse-riding, but the athletes get alotted a random horse with whom they have zero experience.

So it's basically luck of the draw if you get a good horse or not. Plenty people falling off horses because the horses refuse to jump or whatever.
Happened in the women's competition to a German athlete and she was leading. Then the coach hit the horse and has been kicked out of the olympics.

SJRB

Gold Member
Happened in the women's competition to a German athlete and she was leading. Then the coach hit the horse and has been kicked out of the olympics.

Rightfully so, fuck that guy.

DKehoe

I know the horse events are ones people shit on every time the Olympics comes around. But if your medal hopes rely on the whims of another creature then it really doesn’t feel like it should be an Olympic event.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

I know the horse events are ones people shit on every time the Olympics comes around. But if your medal hopes rely on the whims of another creature then it really doesn’t feel like it should be an Olympic event.
Anyone care to explain why can't you bring your own horse to the Olympics? I'm a complete noob when it comes to this discipline.

Top Bottom