• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Summer Olympics 2021... I mean 2020 Thread

ranmafan

I am sure the Tokyo 2020 would have been the best Olympics of all time, especially for the participants, given that Japan is probably the best country to visit in the world as a tourist. However, I am certainly relieved that even despite the government's ongoing best attempt to paint this dire situation as a positive, we will be able to skip the endless self-congratulatory Japan is so special, Japan is so unique propaganda that would of been spewing out of newspapers, TV and social media for two months. It's amusing how all the skeletons are finally coming out the closet.
Agreed, it was set to be one of the best if not the best going into 2020. But if there is one good thing that comes from this mess its as you said, the skeletons are coming out of the closet finally. And more importantly, the nails that must be hammered down in this culture, are finally starting to resist and fight back the hammers.

Porcile

Agreed, it was set to be one of the best if not the best going into 2020. But if there is one good thing that comes from this mess its as you said, the skeletons are coming out of the closet finally. And more importantly, the nails that must be hammered down in this culture, are finally starting to resist and fight back the hammers.

I think everyone is just more likely to pretend this whole thing didn't happen and pray that things return to status quo.

INC

So far we got men competing in female events
One bird who got fined for shorts being to short
And a female team fined for having shorts too long

2021 Olympics..........

asustitan

Banned
So watching the weightlifting. I'm rooting for the bloke to win it.

Although they will probably get some step aside money so they can say, you see blokes are not necessarily stronger than women.

Last edited:

INC

So watching the weightlifting. I'm rooting for the bloke to win it.

Although they will probably get some step aside money so they can say, you see blokes are not necessarily stronger than women.

40yr old man, beats women in their prime and peak performance

Perfectly balanced competition

Mistake

Yeah them kneeling is "making a scene" lmao

They originally said that but then gave in as long as it's not specifically targeting people or whatever. Maybe because of THE WOKE MOB, or maybe because it doesn't fucking matter if they kneel. We'll never know.
Despite your feelings on the matter, it’s a divisive topic and you know it. Don’t hand wave me, I was asking a simple question.

Japan really got screwed on the Olympics this year, and some of my Japanese friends are pretty against it. Maybe I’ll watch swimming, but that’s all

Aarbron

So far we got men competing in female events
One bird who got fined for shorts being to short
And a female team fined for having shorts too long

2021 Olympics..........
And a coked up equestrian rider!

40yr old man, beats women in their prime and peak performance

Perfectly balanced competition
Strongest Females still have insane ratios of 3.8-4.5 over clean and jerk and snatch
Not like a old bloke at your local gym can get close to that with a wig on.

That's lifting twice your weight in two different ways.

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
You never know. USA lost two exhibition games the past few weeks! However, with the finals over a few good Phx/Bucks guys are going over.

But after the losses, USA did easily beat the third team they played.
I can see your point of view. The rest of the world is catching up to the US.

Every team that the USA is up against is full of NBA players. We just take as many NBA superstars that want to play and throw them on one team and expect results.
Other teams from around the world have players who have played together for many years on the same team, and know the int'l style of basketball much better.

If we really want to compete with the world at the highest level, we need to send our best TEAM, not collection of players.

And unfortunately, this 2021 squad has no Steph Curry, LeBron James, Anthony Davis, James Harden, Kyrie Irving, Russell Westbrook, or even a steely veteran like Chris Paul.

All of that said, it's also just different for USA versus the other countries. USA will always be the heavy favorites, every other team just trying to play catch up. These exhibition games mean nothing in the grand scheme of things. When group play starts and knockout stage, USA can easily get into way higher gears than any other team can. Even these other teams "full of NBA players" are still mainly lower end starters and role players. Slovenia is the only team with a bona fide superstar playing in Luka. Gobert is a good player but has been exposed recently in the playoffs. After Luka and Gobert, the next best player is probably Rubio? or Ingles maybe?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I can see your point of view. The rest of the world is catching up to the US.

Every team that the USA is up against is full of NBA players. We just take as many NBA superstars that want to play and throw them on one team and expect results.
Other teams from around the world have players who have played together for many years on the same team, and know the int'l style of basketball much better.

If we really want to compete with the world at the highest level, we need to send our best TEAM, not collection of players.

And unfortunately, this 2021 squad has no Steph Curry, LeBron James, Anthony Davis, James Harden, Kyrie Irving, Russell Westbrook, or even a steely veteran like Chris Paul.

All of that said, it's also just different for USA versus the other countries. USA will always be the heavy favorites, every other team just trying to play catch up. These exhibition games mean nothing in the grand scheme of things. When group play starts and knockout stage, USA can easily get into way higher gears than any other team can. Even these other teams "full of NBA players" are still mainly lower end starters and role players. Slovenia is the only team with a bona fide superstar playing in Luka. Gobert is a good player but has been exposed recently in the playoffs. After Luka and Gobert, the next best player is probably Rubio? or Ingles maybe?
Hockey is similar. Global tourney pops up and Team Canada and US will put together a team based on talent and they got 1 week to gel.

I'm not sure how international teams in basketball and hockey work but it seems the players play together for longer stretches of time. I dont get it since they surely have pro leagues too taking up time, but their national team seems to have more time to gel. Maybe international teams have more national games played during the year and that team is concurrent to league play.

Last edited:

Tschumi

I could be wrong but last time i checked my tv it wasn't on free to air. That's some bullshit :/

Edit: oh maybe not, according to your link op it doesn't "start" for 3 hours..

Last edited:

ranmafan

I really hope there will be some who will enjoy these games, and the opening ceremony in a half an hour. Seems like there are alot around the world excited about it. I’m still so shocked I won’t be able to do so myself. Never thought I would be this upset and angry over anything yet seeing the games go on after all the disappointment we in Japan have faced especially the last few weeks (especially losing my dream) really sucks. Sadly our voices will be drowned out a lot by the media from now on.

Anyway that will be my last post on it. enjoy these “Olympic” games everyone. Maybe one day in the future I’ll be the Olympic fan I always was before hand. Japan deserves better than these games. Much much better. Have fun everyone, but this is a party I will skip, and I planned so long for it. But it’s just too hard mentally to watch.

spons

20 minutes until the opening, anyone here watching? Broadcast times on these Olympics are brutal. Starts in the middle of the night and ends in the afternoon here.
Gotta admit I sometimes browse the internet at work but full blown watching the games is something else.

Yoboman

Kinda sad seeing an Opening Ceremony with nobody there

Still remember the terrifying Beijing Olympics

b277CBx.gif

Porcile

This is one of the dumbest things ever. Performing in an empty stadium, except for Bach and Suga getting their own private show, while us peasants have to pay for the whole thing while being told to stay at home. Insane waste of money.

spons

Weren't these things much longer in the past? It was like 10 minutes of show, tons of filler and now the athletes.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Where are you all watching? I only see the NBC livestream link and it only works for 30 mins before they ant you to enter in cable provider details.

SJRB

Gold Member
This is surreal to watch with all athletes waving to a non-existing crowd in an abandoned stadium.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Yeah it was the character select from 6. And perhaps more.

The most beautiful theme though, I think its Final Fantasy XII. Its one of my favourite games ever and the FF theme hits home. I think it was this version.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
The video game music was bizarre, I was not expecting that.

On the other hand, I liked the segment where they showed and illuminated famous Tokyo buildings and locations, great for tourists….

Last edited:
Top Bottom