• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time for a GOTY status update

My top 5 currently:

Zelda TotK
Remnant 2
Octopath Traveler 2
Diablo 4
The Dredge
I can't believe this came out this year. Feels like ages ago.

My Top 10 is pretty much "Top 10 rated games of 2023", and I'm not 100% committed to the order. Any one of them could be top 5 except Diablo 4

1. Final Fantasy XVI
  2. Baldurs Gate 3
  3. Octopath Traveler 2
  4. Spider-Man 2
  5. Zelda TotK
  6. Resident Evil 4 Remake
  7. SMB: Wonder
  8. Jedi Survivor
  9. Dead Space Remake
  10. Diablo 4 <--I feel weird including this since my enjoyment fell off a cliff during season 1

Doom85

14398) Final Fantasy XVI

Tom Hiddleston What GIF

Damn, and I thought I was disappointed by the game. Like, at least the music was mostly good, and Cid was the one character I gave a shit about (granted, those who played the game know why this is kind of an issue in of itself). But yeah, the game let me down even more than XV (which at least got some RPG elements right) which is insane to me considering XV was the first FF I couldn’t stand even finishing (got like 2/3 through).

Muffdraul

2023 releases I've played, in chronological order:

Dead Space remake
Hogwarts
Metroid Prime remaster *
RE4 remake
Tears of the Kingdom
Final Fantasy XVI
Assassin's Creed Mirage
Spider-Man 2
MGS1 PS5 *
Alan Wake 2**

* I would never consider MP or MGS1 for GOTY. Both are all time favorites that I'm ecstatic to be able to play on current consoles, but these are not new games. MP's remaster polish was so subtle I almost never even noticed it.

** I only played AW2 for about an hour so far, I just wasn't in the mood for something that slow and deliberate. I'll go back when I'm ready and I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Based on what little I played, I very seriously doubt I'd ever consider it a GOTY. Which is sad, because Control was my 2019 GOTY.

For me it come down to Dead Space or TOTK.

And the winner by a mile is TOTK. Congratulations!

Last edited:
Current GOTY:
Super Mario Bros. Wonder

Fighting for 2nd place/First Loser:
Hogwarts Legacy
Final Fantasy XVI
Armored Core 6

Fighting to not be deleted from existence when Microsoft takes over:
Diablo IV

Fighting for the right to exist:
Fate/Samurai Remnant

Games I played this year which would be GOTY contenders if they released this year:
Super Mario Odyssey
Cyberpunk 2077 v2.0

Sleepwalker

So far:

1. FFXVI
2. Resident Evil 4 Remake
3. The Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom
4. Phantom Liberty
5. Spiderman 2
6. Assassin's Creed: Mirage
7. Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon

In progress: Alan Wake 2, Super Mario Wonder

In backlog: Dead Space R, Jedi Survivor, Baldur's Gate 3, Lies of P, Star Ocean the second story R, Robocop, Metroid Prime Remastered, MGS Collection.

Upcoming: Super Mario RPG, Avatar.

Hoping to be able to tackle most of these before year's end.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
1- Totk
2- Wo long
3- Lies of p

Baldur's Gate 3 will probably rock this list, but I don't have enough time for it rn.

Alpha Male

I've played many incredible games this year and am grateful for having so many great gameplay experiences!

Starfield is by far the best game I have played this year and it's also one of my favorite games I've ever played. I still have many, many more hours to play before I finish it. I'm also still playing Spiderman, Baldur's Gate, Zelda and Talos Principle ... with Avatar coming up next month. I'm hoping to play Phantom Liberty after the Holidays.

GOTY:
Starfield

Honorable Mention:
Jedi Survivor
Hogwarts
Zelda
Baldur's Gate
Forza Motorsport
Spiderman

My favorite Indie games this year are Talos Principle, Cocoon and Planet of Lana

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
My top 5:

1. Alan Wake 2
  2. Starfield
  3. Resident Evil 4
  4. Dead Space
  5. Hi-Fi Rush
Honorable mention to Hogwarts Legacy.

Still have to finish Super Mario Wonder, and I haven't even started Spider-Man 2, Final Fantasy XVI, Tears of the Kingdom, or Baldur's Gate III yet.

Last edited:

Tg89

No order, I have to think hard and make some cuts - lots of great stuff this year. From what I've played and finished:

Metroid Prime Remastered
Tears of the Kingdom
Armored Core VI
Baldur's Gate 3
Resident Evil 4
Pikmin 4
Super Mario Wonder
Sea of Stars
FF16
Lies of P
Dead Cells Return to Castlevania
Dead Space

Still in the backlog that might be considered by year end:
Octopath Traveller 2
Alan Wake 2
Hogwarts
Jedi Survivor

SMRPG will likely be in the conversation too.

Hell of a year and that's with other big profile games missing the mark. If D4 and Starfield had hit it would probably be a legit shot at best year ever.

Last edited:
1. Baldur's Gate 3 (PC)
2. Spider-Man 2 (PS5)
3. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (PC)
4. Hogwarts Legacy (PC)
5. Resident Evil 4 Remake (PC)

100. Starfield (PC) - Disappointing, dated and buggy but still kept me playing for 122 hours, mostly to see how bad the main story was (it was bad!)

And, yes, I have played around 100 games this year!

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I played a lot this year, but I think what will stick with me most will be...

Robocop: Rogue City
Lies of P
Blasphemous 2
Resident Evil 4 Remake
Star Wars: Jedi Survivor
Diablo 4
Zelda Tears of the Kingdom
Hogwarts Legacy (Surely, still need to finish)
System Shock Remake
Alan Wake 2 (Surely, still need to finish)

I haven't played Baldur's Gate 3, but I want it to win everything, lmao.

Of the games I've played up to completion so far, it's hard to not shake of Lies of P. It was the first not FromSoft Souls-like that I've ever played, and I'd imagine the best one that exists. I don't know what that team did, but they sold their souls to the devil or something. The game is incredible, and I often forgot that it was a AA title. It's SO polished and the outcome rivals many other AAA titles. It's an impressive feat for sure.

Top Bottom