• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time for a GOTY status update

DaciaJC

Gold Member
There are only two games released this year that I've played, but both I very much enjoyed.

1. Baldur's Gate 3 (self-explanatory)
2. Wartales - an indie title that has you manage a group of mercenaries as you take on threats and contracts across a harsh fantasy landscape. Takes a lot of inspiration from Battle Brothers, so fans of that game should definitely check out Wartales.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Gambit looks a lot cheesier imo.

Fans like it, I'm also a huge fan but I am more unforgiving. If you're going to play it, best to know what you're getting into before, as in you'll have to replay the same levels mandatory 4-5 times. Even tho they are more open ended(which also makes them easier) and you have more freedom, it becomes tedious seeing the same map so many times. To me level design in their games was the most important fact, how incredible it was crafted, a huge puzzle. Shadow Gambit is essentially if you made Deus Ex open world. Some will move on with the change, some like me wont. It also flopped and I guess all those Desperados fans didt click with it either. Shame.

Fans like it, I'm also a huge fan but I am more unforgiving. If you're going to play it, best to know what you're getting into before, as in you'll have to replay the same levels mandatory 4-5 times. Even tho they are more open ended(which also makes them easier) and you have more freedom, it becomes tedious seeing the same map so many times. To me level design in their games was the most important fact, how incredible it was crafted, a huge puzzle. Shadow Gambit is essentially if you made Deus Ex open world. Some will move on with the change, some like me wont. It also flopped and I guess all those Desperados fans didt click with it either. Shame.
I'm buying it either way but I wasn't aware of that change. The ultra-precise clockwork nature of their levels is my favorite part of those games. I'm not a player who necessarily thrives on freedom, I prefer puzzles to solve much like you said.

Anyway. Shadow Tactics is still one of the most straight 10/10s I can think of in my book. That game was virtually perfect. DIII is just as good but I liked the Tactics setting more.

StueyDuck

Currently the talos principle 2 and it's not even close.

Runner up: sea of stars and final fantasy 16

Games I have yet to play: Alan Wake 2, armored core 6

Games that I admit are great but just aren't for me: Street Fighter 6, Tekken 8, Forza motorsport

Doom85

Many solid, even a few excellent, games came out this year.

Having said that, the One True King demands tribute:

Happy Pity Party GIF by Larian Studios
Baldurs Gate Bg3 GIF by Larian Studios
Baldurs Gate Reveal GIF by Larian Studios
Baldurs Gate Magic GIF by Xbox
Baldurs Gate Kiss GIF by Xbox
Kneel Baldurs Gate GIF by Xbox
Shocked Baldurs Gate GIF by Xbox

Bruce Campbell Kiss GIF

yamaci17

1 phantom liberty
2 tears of the kingdom
3 starfield
4 jedi survivor
5 resident evil 4
6 hogwarts legacy
7 atomic heart
8 dead space remake
9 planet of lana
10 wo long fallen dynasty

ac mirage would probably dethrone wo long if i play it
alan wake 2 would probably land somewhere between resi 4 and hogwarts legacy

Last edited:

GymWolf

From what i remember and NOT in order:

Zelda tokt
Remnant 2
Robocop
Armoured core 6
Lies of p
Probably bg3 (stopped very early waiting for fixes to act 3)
Hogwarts (not a great game but made with love and it was their first big game so it gets points for that)
Atomic heart (same as hogwarts)
Dead space remake
Dead island 2

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Somewhere in this order:
Hogwarts legacy
Re4
Ac6
Forspoken
Ff16
Aw2
Lies of p

Didn’t play dead space remake, bg3 or spider man2 yet.

T4keD0wN

My list:
1. Baldurs Gate 3
2. Hi-fi Rush
3. Alan Wake 2
4. Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart (PC)
5. Cyberpunk DLC (now my #1 of all time)
6. Metroid Prime Remastered
7. Starfield
8. Tears of the Kingdom (only 20h so far)
9. Age of wonders 4
10. Wo-long

My list will likely change once i play Persona 5 Tactica, The Invincible, Avatar and Rogue Trader.

Last edited:

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I've played so many games this year, 2023 def was a winner.

GOTY: Alan Wake 2 (by a monstrously wide margin)

Halls of Torment
Jedi Survivor
Baldur's Gate 3
Sea of Stars
Super Mario Wonder
Star Ocean: Second Story R
Slay the Princess
Octopath Traveller II
Dead Space Remake

#1 with a bullet: BG3

Great games where the order needs to be sorted later:
Mario Wonder
ToTK
RE4
Spidey 2
Armored Core 6
Metroid Prime
Starfield

There are others I'm forgetting, and a ton I haven't played.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Loving reading all these but I can't even contemplate this right now. There's too many amazing games and I need to think.

Tbh, I don't think I'll even get around to claiming one this year lol

ByWatterson

A lot I haven't played but my top six so far:

Final Fantasy XVI (frontrunner for me)
Spider-Man 2 (runner-up so far)
Sea of Stars
Tears of the Kingdom
Hogwarts Legacy
Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters

Possibles that I'll play soon:

Baldur's Gate III
Alan Wake II

Last edited:

swing_harder

Neo Member
My ranking of the games I have played that released in 2023:

4) Diablo IV - Grade C (Tried to do coop with the wife, but this game was just not my cup of tea.)
icon0.png

3) Resident Evil 4 Remake - Grade B (Awesome game, but..........it's a remake.)
85p2Dwh5iDhUzRKe40QeNYh3.png

2) Lords of the Fallen - Grade B (I've tallied about 70 hours in this souls-like and I love it. This game checks most of the boxes for me. Love the combat and the exploration is incredible with the large interconnecting maps. However, the performance issues keep it from my top spot.)
icon0.png

1) Lies of P - Grade A (Enjoyed every second of this game. I was very skeptical when I saw the first trailer, but it was a top notch souls-like experience for me. And what about that performance? It ran flawless. The most polished game that I've played in a long time...A breath of fresh air.)
icon0.png

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
From what I've played so far:

1) Baldur's Gate 3
2) RoboCop: Rogue City
3) Resident Evil 4 + Separate Ways
4) Cyberpunk 2077 2.0 + Phantom Liberty
5) Horizon: Forbidden West - Burning Shores

Hopefully Space Marine 2 will release this year, but at this point and so close to the end of the year, chances of this are very slim.

Ellery

I would love to list more than one game, but Zelda Totk has been too grand for video games.
This game is so impressive running on hardware that is a fraction of the power of the normal Playstation 4. The physics, the world, the interactions it all makes no sense.

If it were running on an RTX 4090 7950X machine I'd say it is otherwordly that they found the time, resources and optimization to make it possible, but it is running on a normal Nintendo Switch.
That game alone makes 2023 probably a contender for one of the best years in gaming ever.

No idea how to praise it more or find new superlatives. Thank you Nintendo this game is still a steal if you add the Switch + Switch Pro Controller on top of it and only play that single game.

1. Final Fantasy XVI
2. Spider-Man 2
3. Resident Evil 4
4. Dead Space
5. Hogwarts Legacy
6. Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
7. Pikmin 4
8. Hi-Fi Rush

——————

Still need to play CP2077: PL, Jusant, Cocoon, Lies of P, HFW DLC, Sea of Stars, Alan Wake 2, Mario Wonder, Armored Core 6, Jedi Survivor, and BG3

2023 is one of the greatest years of all time

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

Easy:
  1. Baldur's Gate 3;
  2. Spider Man 2;
  3. The Legend of Zelda ToTK;
  4. Cyberpunk 2077 Phantom Liberty;
  5. Final Fantasy XVI;
  6. Resident Evil 4 Remake;
  7. Hogwarts Legacy;
  8. Lies of P;
  9. Street Fighter 6;
  10. Alan Wake 2.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Played lots of great games this year including Hogwarts Legacy, Dead Space Remake, Jedi Survivor, ToTK (emulated on PC), Starfield, Witcher 3 next gen. Am currently playing Phantom Liberty and Alan Wake 2.

Waiting to play: Spiderman 2 and Assassins Creed Mirage.

Honestly, the best game I played this year was my replay of Witcher 3. None of these games I played this year feel like all time greats. Doesn't mean they weren't really good or even great, but I can't say there were any true all timers. They all had annoying flaws.

tommib

I hope we get a better voting system this year at GAF. It was a disaster of copy/pasting with Elden Ring and Ragnarok last year since users were adding them to absurd categories. Hope the mods are listening.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Alan wake 2
Armored Core 6
Final fantasy 16
Lies of P
Cyberpunk Phantom Liberty
RE4 Remake
Zelda TOTK
Diablo 4
Spider-Man 2
Starfield

Only the first 3 are in order. I do have 50 hours in BG3 but the game just wasn’t for me. I can appreciate it is in fact amazing, but it was far too much game for me.

If PL dlc can’t be included then I’d swap it out for like a dragon Ishin.

Honorable mention to Wanted Dead.

Top Bottom