• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2023 GOTY competition is absolutely insane

Topher

Gold Member
Tears of the Kingdom doesn't seem to have the zeitgeist like Breath of the Wild did in all honesty.

Kind of agree with you here. If Starfield turns out to be as amazing as it looks then I can see it challenging Zelda with a number of outlets. Still think Zelda wins the most overall, but I'm not sure it will dominate like BoTW did.

Reactions: Isa

MagnesD3

Fallout 3 came up against GTAIV which scored 98 on Metacritic. It also was running against MGS4 (94), LBP (95), Gears 2 (93), Smash Bros Brawl (93) and still end d up running away with the most GOTY awards

Two points here. Aggregate scores don't necessarily equal what will be GOTY, a few outliers can easily skew things. A divisive game where you get a bunch of 10s and 8s may run away with more GOTY honours than a game everyone agrees is a 9 (see Death Stranding)

Brand power and popularity have never been what has led to GOTY honours, and that's been seen in many examples
I'd also like to mention a large part of the gaming community has gotten more fed up with bethesda problems that they used to just accept years ago, thier reputation has gone down from Fallout 4 not making a big splash and 76 just being bad. Bethesda Jank I doubt will be so well recieved this time.

Dr_Salt

Jumping the gun with a lot of those - even FF16 is just a demo right now - excellent demo perhaps but just a demo.

People expected a lot from some well
hyped games only to be disappointed and meanwhile some games went under the radar yet are great.
I get your point but like I said before AC6 is coming from the studio that absolutely sweeped most of the GOTY awards last year, BG3 has an early access that is already better than alot of fully released games this year and chances that Starfield flops are minimal considering Bethesda's track record and expertise. Microsoft just can't allow Starfield to be a flop, its not gonna happen.

FFXVI might disappoint but I find it hard to believe after that demo. Avatar is my only wild guess.

Last edited:
When the winner is so obvious, i.e. Z:TOTK, there's no real interesting discussion to be had.

There are amazing games coming out this year. Tonnes for everyone to play on every platform.

And next year will be....

Fire Elmo GIF

Not least because of Dragon's Dogma 2 and Koreanime Tit and Ass simulator (i.e. Stellar Blade)!!!!

Resident Evil 4 is the front runner in my rankings currently. I anticipate Lies of P becoming my game of the year.

I think Hogwarts Legacy deserves an honorable mention. I am curious about Tekken 8. Also, if there is an award category for DLC, I think the expansion to Elden Ring will probably claim it this year.

Last edited:

Synless

The only way Starfield gets GOTY over Zelda is if a place is trying to be edgy and different seeing Zelda clean up shop.

Saber

Gold Member
How is mentioning Spider-man 2 any more "hilarious" than mentioning any of the other games not named Zelda?

Completelly agree. People like to take opportunity to attach their own favorites to the list(like Spider or Starfield which no offense can be pretty great games but not top tier GotY contenders), but realistic speaking will be ToK against another one. I would risk saying its Hogwarts.
And this is from someone who is dead inside to play Armored Core.

Dr_Salt

Completelly agree. People like to take opportunity to attach their own favorites to the list(like Spider or Starfield which no offense can be pretty great games but not top tier GotY contenders), but realistic speaking will be ToK against another one. I would risk saying its Hogwarts.
And this is from someone who is dead inside to play Armored Core.
If Bethesda delivers on everything shown in their showcase how is it not GOTY material?

MagnesD3

Resident Evil 4 is the front runner in my rankings currently. I anticipate Lies of P becoming my game of the year.

I am curious about Tekken 8. I also think Hogwarts Legacy deserves an honorable mention. Also, if there is an award category for DLC, I think the expansion to Elden Ring will probably claim it this year.
If Shadows of the Erdtree comes out this year them yes that will be the actual GOTY but I'm guessing it's next year.

lol a fighting game as GOTY contender, sure pal
To be honest, in 1998 Tekken 3 had that locked down from my perspective. That same year had releases like Street Fighter Alpha 3, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Resident Evil 2, Metal Gear Solid, Sonic Adventure, and Fallout 2. However, none of them had the production values and responsiveness of Tekken 3.

Last edited:

Lions Gate

I don't remember a year with so many GOTY contenders. Off the top of my head we have:
-TOTK
-Armored Core 6
-Diablo 4
-Starfield
-Final Fantasy XVI
-Hi Fi Rush
-Resident Evil 4 Remake
-Street Fighter 6
-Baldurs Gate 3
-Spider-Man 2

My wallet and my sleeping schedule are fucked already lol.
hi-fi rush ? lol

Yoboman

I'd also like to mention a large part of the gaming community has gotten more fed up with bethesda problems that they used to just accept years ago, thier reputation has gone down from Fallout 4 not making a big splash and 76 just being bad. Bethesda Jank I doubt will be so well recieved this time.
Well I'm not really arguing for Bethesda, just that a good revival of a niche CRPG from the 90s can be well received enough to win GOTY awards. And that good scores for one game doesn't make it the GOTY lock

phant0m

I don't remember a year with so many GOTY contenders. Off the top of my head we have:
-TOTK
-Armored Core 6
-Diablo 4
-Starfield
-Final Fantasy XVI
-Hi Fi Rush
-Resident Evil 4 Remake
-Street Fighter 6
-Baldurs Gate 3
-Spider-Man 2

The only 2 real GOTY contenders in this list are ToTK and Starfield. Maybe XVI but I doubt it.

RE4R is there from a quality level but they’d never give it to a remake over something new.

I almost made this exact thread - but not framing it at GOTY just the fact that this year is probably the best year for gaming since 2001. Which is crazy. I thought the days of stacked years like this were long gone.

Jedi Survivor needs more love as well - I think it is likely the best Star Wars game ever.

And judging from the leaks and the demo - FF16 is going to be huge

Last edited:

kaizenkko

It's been such an amazing year for games that I think it might be a little frustrating to see what the next couple of years have to offer. There are so many amazing games coming out this year, I think we're going to have a huge hole in 2024/2025.

MagnesD3

Well I'm not really arguing for Bethesda, just that a good revival of a niche CRPG from the 90s can be well received enough to win GOTY awards. And that good scores for one game doesn't make it the GOTY lock
Whoops I think I got mixed between the 2 threads, I've been switching between them lol. Anywho BG3 will win a PC only GOTY here and there but if I bet I would bet money on TOTK winning the vast majority.

NickFire

It's been such an amazing year for games that I think it might be a little frustrating to see what the next couple of years have to offer. There are so many amazing games coming out this year, I think we're going to have a huge hole in 2024/2025.
No huge hole, bub. :messenger_sunglasses:

fermcr

-TOTK
-Armored Core 6
-Diablo 4
-Starfield
-Final Fantasy XVI
-Hi Fi Rush
-Resident Evil 4 Remake
-Street Fighter 6
-Baldurs Gate 3
-Spider-Man 2

My GOTY games will likely be Starfield and Baldur's Gate 3.

I hope that 2002 is a typo for 2001 which had

Silent Hill 2
Metal Gear Solid 2
Devil May Cry
Final Fantasy X
Max Payne
Grand Theft Auto 3
Dead or Alive 3
Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3
Ico
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Gran Turismo 3
and some obscure game called Halo or something like that

2002 had Metroid Prime & Vice City but it certainly aint no match for 2001 much less 1998 imo
Video games released in 2002:

Jet Set Radio Future, Fatal Frame, Bloody Roar 3, Virtua Fighter 4, Spider-Man: The Movie,
Resident Evil Remake, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, Final Fantasy XI, The House of the Dead III, Buffy The Vampire Slayer,
Super Mario Sunshine, Kingdom Hearts, Tekken 4, Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus, Hitman 2,
TimeSplitters 2, Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance, Dragon Ball Z Budokai,
Shinobi, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, and Way of the Samurai.

The highlighted titles are still to this day seen in a positive light. Also, Silent Hill 2 is overrated while its predecessor is underrated. Despite all its themes, metaphors, and storytelling it fails to be consistently engaging and entertaining.

Last edited:

acm2000

Of the list in the OP only starfield has a chance for me personally.

Of the games that have already come out this year I've had the most fun with High On Life, Hi-fi Rush, Tinykins and Atomic Heart but I wouldn't say any of them are GOTY contenders.

Coming later this year...

Alan wake 2 - Cautiously optimistic
Forza - as much as I love the series, I don't see a racing game as a goty contender
Stalker 2 - if It makes this year which is unlikely sadly.

Last edited:

Pallas

Going to be really difficult to dethrone TOTK as the GOTY this year. Going to be a nice battle for #2 though between Starfield and FFXVI though.

But if I had to make a wager as to which of those have a better shot at knocking TOTK at the #1 spot, it would be Starfield. ASSUMING and that’s a huge disclaimer, that we don’t get another cyberpunk fiasco, or something similar. I’m not saying FFXVI couldn’t do it, it looks pretty amazing too, but the scope and ambition of Starfield is ridiculous.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Video games released in 2002:

Jet Set Radio Future, Fatal Frame, Bloody Roar 3, Virtua Fighter 4, Spider-Man: The Movie,
Resident Evil Remake, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, Final Fantasy XI, The House of the Dead III, Buffy The Vampire Slayer,
Super Mario Sunshine, Kingdom Hearts, Tekken 4, Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus, Hitman 2,
TimeSplitters 2, Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance, Dragon Ball Z Budokai,
Shinobi, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, and Way of the Samurai.

The highlighted titles are still to this day seen in a positive light. Also, Silent Hill 2 is overrated while its predecessor is underrated. Despite all its themes, metaphors, and storytelling it fails to be consistently engaging and entertaining.

Sir you need to play Timesplitters 2! Its still in 2023 one of the best console fps lol. 2002 was a great year no doubt but naw man Im stickin to my guns that 2001 was waaaay more of a big deal.

Gobjuduck

Banned
Have a feeling starfield will win, that type of game has been desired for so long. If it pulls it off, it will be a clear winner. There isn’t any game out there with such scale and detail.

FF16 could be amazing, but I don’t think it has that wide appeal. ToTK seems to have less of a impact than BoTW. Spider-Man 2 can be the best Spider-Man game, but it will not win. Hogwarts drags for too long, and the world is very empty, it won’t win. Street fighter 6 won’t win.

Nvzman

-TOTK
-Armored Core 6
-Diablo 4
-Starfield
-Final Fantasy XVI
-Hi Fi Rush
-Resident Evil 4 Remake
-Street Fighter 6
-Baldurs Gate 3
-Spider-Man 2

You forgot Pizza Tower! Perfect indie game

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Im going to just come out and say 2022 was better for me personally.
The only way Starfield gets GOTY over Zelda is if a place is trying to be edgy and different seeing Zelda clean up shop.
Starfield is a brand new IP with insane scope. Its going to crush Zelda for GOTY. Xbox finally got one.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful

Synless

Im going to just come out and say 2022 was better for me personally.

Starfield is a brand new IP with insane scope. It’s going to crush Zelda for GOTY. Xbox finally got one.
No. Unless Starfield is doing something insane that we are not seeing yet. Huge scope does not make the game of the year, nor does being a new IP.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I can't remember anything except for Elden Ring from 2022.
God of War: Ragnarok
Horizon: Forbidden West
SIFU
TLOU: Part 1
Modern Warfare II
Calisto Protocol
GT7
Plague Tale: Requiem
Elden Ring

And I enjoyed 4 of those games more than anything i've touched this year so far. So 2022 > 2023 for me, so far.

Last edited:

geary

Which game would you think will be nominated from indies or AA for GOTY. Every year had a nominee from these typea of game. Prolly would by HIFI Rush, but what elae could be selected?

Thirty7ven

Banned
Maybe. So far Zelda is waiting alone.

Excited to see how Baldurs Gate 3 and Starfield review and compare because BG3 is the one being made by devs known for deep RPG gameplay, with a lot of choice and interactivity, yet Starfield is the one getting headlines even though it looks like it will be very mainstream.

Don’t think SF6 will make the cut but maybe, waiting to see how MK1 does also.

High Fi rush lol already forgotten. Hype job for the gamepass bros.

Diablo 4 has no chance. Armored Corr 6 would be surprising but From is on a GOAT run. RE4 remake? Nah. Spider Man 2? Shit Insomniac would have to deliver the surprise of the decade. Avatar? Would be a surprise to say the least.

Final Fantasy XVI? Highly doubt it.

Incredible year though.

Fake

Lets wait for the games to release before getting paranoic.

For now is TOTK.

If Bethesda delivers on everything shown in their showcase how is it not GOTY material?

The keyword here is Bethesda. Have Bethesda delivery on everything they shown in the past or this time will be different?

Last edited:

Labadal

I think that TotK will win it.

My personal top list, so far (the only 2023 release I have played):

-Octopath Traveler II
-Caves of Lore
-Like A Dragon: Ishin!
-Fire Emblem Engage

-Forspoken

I'm going to laugh at myself for saying this, but I hope that I can add Jagged Alliance 3 to that list.

Top Bottom