• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2023 GOTY competition is absolutely insane

Dr_Salt

I don't remember a year with so many GOTY contenders. Off the top of my head we have:
-TOTK
-Armored Core 6
-Diablo 4
-Starfield
-Final Fantasy XVI
-Hi Fi Rush
-Resident Evil 4 Remake
-Street Fighter 6
-Baldurs Gate 3
-Spider-Man 2

My wallet and my sleeping schedule are fucked already lol.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm eating good this year....
giphy.gif

Robb

Gold Member
Yeah, really great year! It has been a while since the GOTY awards actually felt somewhat uncertain regarding the winner.

I don't remember a year with so many GOTY contenders. Off the top of my head we have:
-TOTK
-Armored Core 6
-Diablo 4
-Starfield
-Final Fantasy XVI
-High Fi Rush
-Resident Evil 4 Remake
-Street Fighter 6
-Baldurs Gate 3
-Spider-Man 2

Realistically there are 4 games in my mind on that list in the running for GOTY (Tears, FF16, Starfield, and Spiderman 2). The rest are still amazing games. awesome year For gaming.

-TOTK
-Armored Core 6
-Diablo 4
-Starfield
-Final Fantasy XVI
-High Fi Rush
-Resident Evil 4 Remake
-Street Fighter 6
-Baldurs Gate 3
-Spider-Man 2

Missing Hogwarts and Star Wars too…

And some games that aren’t in the GOTY category more than likely but still great like Dead Space Remake and Alan Wake 2

This may beat out 2001 and 1998 as the greatest year in gaming ever imho

Last edited:

ahtlas7

Who made this years game release schedule? That person needs an award. So much to occupy my attention.

Reactions: Isa

Dr_Salt

Wait until the games are released... Never forget cp2077... Or ff15.... The hype and trailers before and the final results.
Fair point but I do trust Fromsoftware and Larian tho, very hard for them to fuck up. IMO Bethesda has a low chance of fucking it up and the FFXVI demo has been great so I'm basing my assumption on that. Only real question for me is maybe Avatar.

Last edited:

Handel

If these games live up to the hype, it will be the best year since 2017. On top of those you list there's also HK Silksong(hopefully), Pikmin 4, Alan Wake 2, Talos Principle 2, and many more indies/AA titles left to release. Also whatever Nintendo has for the their second half releases, potentially Metroid Prime 4 or a 2D Mario.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It's TOTK, but there's certainly a hell of a lot of competition for #2.

Hi-Fi Rush won't get enough praise next to the big boys but it's a stone cold cult classic in the making.

Zelda and Starfield are the 2 only games with a over 1% chance to be GOTY to be honest.

In a fair world i'd include Baldur's Gate 3 but yea we all know it has no chances even tho their last game was a 93 MC masterpiece.

What's going to be funny and very interesting is the fight for the other 4 spots on the GOTY nominations list, there are like 8-9 games that could or could not make it to that list. My bet is Baldur's Gate 3, Final Fantasy XVI, Diablo 4 and RE4.

Handel

Only Starfield and to a lesser FFXVI have both the potential quality and brand power to try to take on Zelda, and while they'll both likely grab up some of the awards overall they're going to be #2 and #3 at best. I do think Starfield and FFXVI can each steal away one of the big name awards, TGA could go to Starfield and maybe BAFTA to FFXVI

In a fair world BG3 could also challenge those above, but even if it gets a 93+ metacritic you'd never see it as one of the six TGA GOTY nominees.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

In terms of awards Zelda will win no matter how good anything else is this year just because Nintendo but as for the "actual" GOTY. The only contenders are TOTK, FF16, AC6 and Baldurs Gate 3.

My bet is AC6.

Last edited:

Yoboman

In terms of awards Zelda will win no matter how good anything else is this year just because Nintendo but as for the "actual" GOTY. The only contenders are TOTK, FF16, AC6 and Baldurs Gate 3.

My bet is AC6.
Dunno about that, Baldur's Gate definitely has the brand credibility to win a lot of awards and won't launch as PC exclusive which maybe hurt Divinity OS 2

Already know FFXVI will be my GOTY frontrunner but yes, this has been a banner year, I said it months ago.

My personal GOTY shortlist as it stands right now is (no particular order):

- Diablo 4
- Hogwarts
- SF6
- Jedi Survivor
- RE4

Upcoming games I KNOW will earn a spot on my list:

- FFXVI
- Armored Core 6
- Spider-Man 2

Games that *might* earn a spot:

- Remnant 2
- Baldur's Gate 3
- Alan Wake 2
- MK1

The only thing missing this year is an indie that blows my mind. Inscryption was in my *top 3* last year, same with Dead Cells the year it came out. Maybe if we get Hollow Knight Silksong this year...

MagnesD3

Dunno about that, Baldur's Gate definitely has the brand credibility to win a lot of awards and won't launch as PC exclusive which maybe hurt Divinity OS 2
Not as much as Zelda, Baldurs Gate doesn't have any touchstones to a general or younger generational audience, Critics have already chosen thier GOTY before the competition even has a shot as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

JMZ555

For me BG3 or FF16 are shaping up to be my own GOTY. Going to sink a ton of hours into them.

Both don't have the universal appeal of Zelda which has already reviewed so well. So I can see Zelda topping most GOTY media lists.

Yoboman

Not as much as Zelda, Baldurs Gate doesn't have any touchstones to a general or younger generational audience, Critics have already chosen thier GOTY before the competition even has a shot as far as I'm concerned.
The same could be said of Fallout until it was revived

MagnesD3

The same could be said of Fallout until it was revived
Fallout wasn't going against a sequel to what unfortunately alot of Critics deem the best game ever made BOTW, with the majority calling it essentially a better replacement to the original. Yeah it ain't gonna happen.

For example let's pretend TOTK came out last year vs Elden Ring, that game might ACTUALLY be the best game ever made and I still think that critically beloved game would have ultimately lost due to its difficulty and lesser Brand power.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Who made this years game release schedule? That person needs an award. So much to occupy my attention.
I feel the opposite in some way. There are too many great games, some are going to do much worse than they would have otherwise because of that. For gamers we just have to be picky and will likely have to play some of these great games at a time when everyone else is not playing them. No biggie. I am just worried about games that are high stakes for smaller studios. Whoever chose wrong could have caused a lot of pain for dev teams.

Review scores are going to be critical. If your game is good, get those scores out there ASAP. If there are any technical issues with your game, consider delaying it.

Mhmmm 2077

Wait until the games are released... Never forget cp2077... Or ff15.... The hype and trailers before and the final results.
Phantom Liberty won't be nominated for GOTY (as it's not a game), it might be for Best RPG or something, just like Blood & Wine was.

Topher

Gold Member
Zelda and Starfield are the 2 only games with a over 1% chance to be GOTY to be honest.

In a fair world i'd include Baldur's Gate 3 but yea we all know it has no chances even tho their last game was a 93 MC masterpiece.

What's going to be funny and very interesting is the fight for the other 4 spots on the GOTY nominations list, there are like 8-9 games that could or could not make it to that list. My bet is Baldur's Gate 3, Final Fantasy XVI, Diablo 4 and RE4.

People need to keep in mind that there is no single game that gets GOTY. There are hundreds of outlets handing out awards. Even last year when Elden Ring dominated, there were a couple of dozen other games that were given GOTY by various outlets.

So chances of any of the games winning some awards are pretty good. I think most understand that Zelda is more than likely going to get the most awards though.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Missing Hogwarts and Star Wars too…

And some games that aren’t in the GOTY category more than likely but still great like Dead Space Remake and Alan Wake 2

This may beat out 2002 and 1998 as the greatest year in gaming ever imho

I hope that 2002 is a typo for 2001 which had

Silent Hill 2
Metal Gear Solid 2
Devil May Cry
Final Fantasy X
Max Payne
Grand Theft Auto 3
Dead or Alive 3
Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3
Ico
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Gran Turismo 3
and some obscure game called Halo or something like that

2002 had Metroid Prime & Vice City but it certainly aint no match for 2001 much less 1998 imo

POKEYCLYDE

The 5 nominated at the game awards barring any catastrophic releases (looking at you Starfield/FF16) will probably be:
- Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
- Starfield
- Armored Core 6
- Final Fantasy 16
- Spiderman 2

That's my list at least, will probably play them all unless FF16 comes out to bad reviews.

StereoVsn

The 5 nominated at the game awards barring any catastrophic releases (looking at you Starfield/FF16) will probably be:
- Starfield
- Armored Core 6
- Final Fantasy 16
- Spiderman 2

That's my list at least, will probably play them all unless FF16 comes out to bad reviews.
Don't see Armored Core making the list for most organizations. But we shall see I guess.

Personally I think this would be Zelda vs Starfield with Zelda likely to take it, but you never know.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Fallout wasn't going against a sequel to what unfortunately alot of Critics deem the best game ever made BOTW, with the majority calling it essentially a better replacement to the original. Yeah it ain't gonna happen.

For example let's pretend TOTK came out last year vs Elden Ring, that game might ACTUALLY be the best game ever made and I still think that critically beloved game would have ultimately lost due to its difficulty and lesser Brand power.
Fallout 3 came up against GTAIV which scored 98 on Metacritic. It also was running against MGS4 (94), LBP (95), Gears 2 (93), Smash Bros Brawl (93) and still end d up running away with the most GOTY awards

Two points here. Aggregate scores don't necessarily equal what will be GOTY, a few outliers can easily skew things. A divisive game where you get a bunch of 10s and 8s may run away with more GOTY honours than a game everyone agrees is a 9 (see Death Stranding)

Brand power and popularity have never been what has led to GOTY honours, and that's been seen in many examples

Topher

Gold Member
- Starfield
- Armored Core 6
- Final Fantasy 16
- Spiderman 2

I can see Diablo 4 taking the spot of one of the bottom three.

Bojji

I don't see anything insane about this year, Starfield, Zelda and FFXVI are (or can be) really exceptional titles but rest is just in "good" category.

ToadMan

Jumping the gun with a lot of those - even FF16 is just a demo right now - excellent demo perhaps but just a demo.

People expected a lot from some well
hyped games only to be disappointed and meanwhile some games went under the radar yet are great.

Top Bottom