• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Rumor There is a new Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic game underway and it’s not with EA

Astorian

Feb 11, 2020
Another day, another Star Wars game rumour, only this one reports that a new Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic game is in development by a studio outside of EA's assortment of first-party developers.

Bespin Bulletin of the B.O.B. The Podcast reports someone privy to the details reckons "we'll never guess" what studio is at the helm, and insisting that development is "not with EA".
"Amongst my digging, I heard there is a Knights of the Old Republic project in development somewhere," Bespin Bulletin said (thanks, VGC). "I talked to a couple of people, and I also found out that [Bloomberg reporter] Jason Schreier said that it's not with EA, and we'll 'never guess' who the studio is that's making this game."

"I don't know if the bounty hunter game is with them or if it's with Ubisoft," Bulletin added. "But yeah, EA is working on stuff and there's another unannounced [Star Wars] game at EA, which I have no idea what it is. I don't think it's Battlefront 3."

VysePSU

May 9, 2019
I like both Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic games but really wanted to see more of Project Ragtag, the Star Wars game by Amy Hennig. It looked really good.

I'm cautiously optimistic for a new Knights of the Old Republic.

TheMay30thMan

Aug 23, 2018

Fbh

Dec 6, 2013
Honestly I don't event know who could be making it.

-Bioware is EA (and they are crap now anyway).
-Obsidian is probably too busy with Avowed and Grounded.
-Larian is all in on Baldur's gate 3
- CDPR just launched cyberpunk and will probably be working on fixing that mess for a while.
-Bethesda has Starfield and the next ES

Are there any other notable western AAA RPG studios left ?.

Oh god imagine if it's also ubisoft 🤢

• Triggered
Reactions: Madevil

The Shepard

Jan 7, 2018
Interesting.. They should just remake kotor but with someone who respects the original. It's funny how ea couldn't make a kotor game happen when they had the original development studio and the licence but someone else is, if this is true.

I'd like sucker punch to have a crack at a star wars game. Star wars is heavily influenced by old samurai movies so they'd probably be a good match.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Aug 23, 2017

- CDPR just launched cyberpunk and will probably be working on fixing that mess for a while.

How about Spiders?

driqe

Dec 2, 2020

Inxile

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Aug 18, 2017
Mount Olympus
www.neogaf.com
When you talk about every Star Wars game out there it’s hard to put it into perspective but now is the perfect time in any time to release a one-two punch of open world, RPG and big Star Wars game overall.

YeulEmeralda

Aug 8, 2020

Does it have to be a Western dev? Star Wars waifus made by Atlus.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Jul 17, 2004
Technically it could be inXile, which seems like a wet dream, because how good Wasteland 3 was written. This sort of positive news don't happend.
They have 2 games in the works one is decently far enough along were this would need to wait like obsidian. Inexile would be a choice if not obsidian.

Sentenza

Dec 3, 2011
I doubt Obsidian as the maker of the second KOTOR qualifies as “someone we’ll never guess”.

Also, quick reminder that Cyberpunk mess aside, CDPR was already supposed to have another big triple A RPG (which many suspect to be another Witcher game) in the pipeline following Cyberpunk.
Of course the original claim that BOTH their titles were supposed to be out before the end of 2021 is most likely outdated as fuck.

Fbh

Dec 6, 2013
How about Spiders?

Didn't think about that. That could actually be neat.
There's a lot of talent at Spiders and in their past few games it has felt a like lack of budget is the biggest thing holding them back. If some publisher was willing to give them a higher than usual budget I actually think they could make a solid Star Wars RPG.

I'll be honest, I haven't played any of their games.
But they do seem to make really well liked games so sure, why not?

I really need to check out the wasteland 3 one of these days

Does it have to be a Western dev? Star Wars waifus made by Atlus.

A Japanese Star Wars would be interesting. Though if it ever happens I think it would make more sense for a Japanese studio to make a new Star Wars game IP instead of Kotor which is a very WRPG type of game.

Last edited:

SinDelta

May 21, 2020

This might be more likely than you think. Ubisoft and Massive (Division 1/2 devs) were revealed to be working on a open world Star Wars game a few days ago, though little else is currently known.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Sep 9, 2018
I bet it ends up just being a remaster that has been farmed out to some studio. Not that i would complain with a remaster, especially if its both games together.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Sep 29, 2020
Good news, I would like to see what it looks like, and what style of game it is. I wonder if this is just more of the Ubisoft announcement.

Reactions: CatLady

Corgi1985

Dec 31, 2020
If bioware isn't making it then it might be decent because bioware is very bad at making games. Andromeda and anthem are both extremely bad. Anthem in particular is one of the worst AAA games of all time.

CatLady

Jun 12, 2018
This might be more likely than you think. Ubisoft and Massive (Division 1/2 devs) were revealed to be working on a open world Star Wars game a few days ago, though little else is currently known.

I was thinking the same thing if there is even anything to this rumor I think it could the Ubi Star Wars game. I would much prefer Obsidian or InXile. I'd be OK with Ubi if it was one of the current AC teams but I don't know anything about Massive Entertainment. Have they ever done WRPGs before?

• Thoughtful

quest

Not Banned from OT
Jul 17, 2004
Same thoughts. What if it is Naughty Dog!? mindblown
If it is a 3rd person adventure game they be great. Be a rebel soldier or close that would be a fun game. A rpg no thanks leave that to the professionals.

SinDelta

May 21, 2020
I was thinking the same thing if there is even anything to this rumor I think it could the Ubi Star Wars game. I would much prefer Obsidian or InXile. I'd be OK with Ubi if it was one of the current AC teams but I don't know anything about Massive Entertainment. Have they ever done WRPGs before?
Not that I'm aware of. The Division 1/2 are Destiny/Borderlands like looter shooters.

Reactions: Madevil and CatLady

iHaunter

Sep 6, 2015
That would be dope, was a great game for its time. I wonder if it's a remake or a brand new game? Rumors don't seem to hold a lot of water though.