• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[The Verge] Summer Game Fest featured no women onstage

HarryKS

Wet fuckers is the right term here. They get so frustrated with the wrong shit imo.

Honestly, would love for this generation to be transported en mass back to the 80’s. The world is becoming a soppy arse place because of these soft cunts.
It's not the world, it's part of the world. The rest watch.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
who cares family guy GIF

MiguelItUp

I mean, TBH majority of it was Geoff himself. If the devs aren't women, that's not a negative thing. Hell it doesn't need to be a thing period. This is just people trying to make something out of nothing. Which is something I wish a lot of people would stop doing nowadays. Female devs DO exist, and everyone knows that. But you can't just conjure more to appear, lol. Not everything has to be "something", it doesn't need to be that deep, ever.

tkscz

I wanted Lizzo on stage!

Brits GIF by BRIT Awards
If we're going to put a big woman on stage at least choose a hot one.

Also who the fuck cares? No one was watching for who was on stage, we wanted to see the games and announcements. I bet you 99% of the women who watched didn't even notice.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
These idiots just watch movies, tv shows, and events with a check list. They don't even care what the content is even about.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I'm 100% with diversity of all kinds, but SO WHAT?!?! It's not as if there were alot of people on the stage to begin with. THIS IS NOT A STORY!

With the death of E3 nearly complete, Summer Game Fest has become the go-to summer event for gamers to get hyped about. But this year’s Summer Game Fest, while it featured games that included a wide range of genres and a great diversity of characters, did not feature a single woman onstage.

Yeah, and?!?

To be clear, this is not only on Mr. Keighley. While he does have a responsibility to ensure his show reflects the diversity of its audience,

No he fucking doesn't. Who the fuck care about the diversity of people presenting a fucking show. Like, there's probably a small handful of presenters. If they had to represent every fucking ethnic minority, gender, sexual orientation (like that even fucking matters), or any other category of oppressed group, suddenly you now have a show with a fucking army of people on stage trying to present stuff.

WTF is this author smoking?!

it’s also on the developers featured in these presentations to put their marginalized employees forward for opportunities like this.

WTF?!?! Why?!? Developers are businesses. In a workplace, a person's function is way more important than their identity. Why should devs have to spotlight marginalized people, instead of the actual creative leads responsible for driving and inspiring the vision for the project?

What are you gonna do? Trot out a fucking Filipino janitor to talk about the game his employer is making, just because he's a minority.

This type of stuff is fucking insulting to minorities. This dick head is saying we should only care about celebrating them for their identity and never for their actual work achievements? How are you respecting the dignity of these so-called marginalized groups by pushing this kind of bullshit?

As a black man, if I was asked to give a presentation at an industry trade show, not because of any good work I'd done or any of my achievements, but purely on the basis of my skin color, I'd tell them to fuck right off and then I'd find a new employer... one who values meritocracy (and therefore by definition, common sense).

Representation matters. It’s just that simple. We know games are being made by a wealth of people, and we need to see them

At every fucking possible opportunity?!? No, we fucking don't, you dipshit.

because it signals to the people watching that they, too, have the capability to do what they love.

No, they don't. Like everyone else, you have to work hard, gain skills and earn the ability to do what you love. If shitheads like you want to hand it out on a silver platter to the undeserving simply because they identify with a supposedly marginalized group, then you remove any possibility for those people to take any satisfaction or fulfillment in them having actually earned that position/role; and that is one of the single biggest contributing factors to people's job satisfaction.

Mr. Keighley, you can feature women in your shows. You’ve done it before, and I’d even argue that it’s easy, too. Right after Summer Games Fest ended, the Day of the Devs showcase began, and I didn’t have to wait long at all to see someone who looked like me.

BS artist, can you fuck off. Your extreme narcissism in thinking that every possible appearance of humans on screen absolutely must include people who look like you is a fucking disease and you should actually get some help for that.

There's always some site out there paying attention to and complaining about the most insignificant things when it comes to these gaming events. No one watching cares Verge.

tommycronin

Banned
Does The Verge know what a woman is to make such claims. Maybe there was one on stage who didn't fit the criteria for what a woman is. Verge should apologise for wrongthink.

LordOfChaos

I'm all for not gatekeeping an industry and it shouldn't be an old boys club that keeps women out

BUT, if it's still the case regardless of that where 87.7% of programmers/game developers are male, you're still, by luck of the draw, going to get conferences that probably feature an all male lineup. What I'm not for is forcing excess credit to women where most of the creators were just men. You can encourage more women to get into programming, 3D animation, etc etc and get in the industry, it should be an approach from encouraging that side rather than forcing equal credit where it wasn't equal creation.

I'm all for inclusiveness for women making and playing games and will be first to admit they have a higher barrier of entry in both. Hell it's even understandable of feeling some satisfaction seeing someone that's a bit more representative of yourself in something you love. But what would having a woman onstage provided beyond that? It's (understandably) a token representation, but still a just a token. I just disagree you need to spotlight anyone in particular when that sole focus should be on the games themselves where we DID see a lot of diversity.

I

HTK

Banned
Watching that show not once did it cross my mind who's on stage period. It was more like, show me gameplay and stfu.

John Wick

Nothing was lost with no women on stage unless they were super hot and wearing sexy attire then yes...................

Top Bottom