• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[The Verge] Summer Game Fest featured no women onstage

Link to the archived article https://web.archive.org/web/2023060...mmer-game-fest-women-diversity-geoff-keighley

With the death of E3 nearly complete, Summer Game Fest has become the go-to summer event for gamers to get hyped about. But this year’s Summer Game Fest, while it featured games that included a wide range of genres and a great diversity of characters, did not feature a single woman onstage.
To be clear, this is not only on Mr. Keighley. While he does have a responsibility to ensure his show reflects the diversity of its audience, it’s also on the developers featured in these presentations to put their marginalized employees forward for opportunities like this.
Representation matters. It’s just that simple. We know games are being made by a wealth of people, and we need to see them because it signals to the people watching that they, too, have the capability to do what they love.
Mr. Keighley, you can feature women in your shows. You’ve done it before, and I’d even argue that it’s easy, too. Right after Summer Games Fest ended, the Day of the Devs showcase began, and I didn’t have to wait long at all to see someone who looked like me.

What's your opinion about this GAF? Should Keighley and by extension the games industry strive to do more?

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Gordon Ramsay Reaction GIF

Petition for Geoff to have (exclusively) hot women on the stage next time.

dallas cowboys football GIF by Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders: Making the Team

ZoolNL

It’s always something… games show diversity but the presentation on a show did not so we should be angry now. I thought it was about the games? Also devs can choose whoever they want to present their games…

Verge is actively trying to find something to scream about. Men are bad, we know it..

Varteras

Gold Member
Also no racial minorities, no homosexuals (that we know of), no transgenders, no midgets, no giants, no disabled people, no minors, no senior citizens, no poor people, no obvious representatives from each nation or religion, and, most importantly, no big titty aliens. I'm especially offended at that last one.

Frwrd

Fuck all this inclusivi-bullshit.
It's because of stupid shit like this that we are where we are, doing dumb shit just to fulfill an agenda 'just because'.

This event should be about catering gamers, and not some entitled political/social group.

PS: fuck the verge, with passion.

Griffon

The verge uh. It's like posting about random blog posts or tweet and treating those as legit articles (and it likely has as many views).

I say let them die alone.

OP either don't make threads about them, or if you do, don't give a link, just quote whatever shit you want to talk about.
That shit is made sucker-in outrage-clicks.

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
wtf?
Sorry. I was looking at number of exciting games or announcements. I could not give a flying fuck about how many woman, POC, gay or non-binaries were there.
not that it matters in GAMES SHOWCASE.

It would be better if we even didn't need to see Geoff and go from announcement to announcement. But I guess Geoff can't resist showing himself with Nic Cage.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
wtf?
Sorry. I was looking at number of exciting games or announcements. I could not give a flying fuck about how many woman, POC, gay or non-binaries were there.
not that it matters in GAMES SHOWCASE.

It would be better if we even didn't need to see Geoff and go from announcement to announcement. But I guess Geoff can't resist showing himself with Nic Cage.
What?

Pfft. Who watches a game show for game announcements?!

Lasha

Representation matters. It’s just that simple. We know games are being made by a wealth of people, and we need to see them because it signals to the people watching that they, too, have the capability to do what they love.

I don't think a woman whose primary contribution to humanity is "FFX my sexual awakening" has the capability to make video games.

It was the first time he featured some interesting games, which seems like the important thing here. Imagine sitting through that stream with arbitrary checklists. It's not like the games didn't feature women, so jfc who cares.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I wonder if they find it exhausting, looking for every opportunity to complain about something.

What's exhausting about an endless source of inspiration for mediocre writers? You don't have to know anything about any subject, just insert modern politics and these articles write themselves.

Last edited:
Top Bottom