• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sims 4 gets major update that removes gender restrictions in character customizer

Platy

Asb079E.jpg

Weird that clothing does not include both ... but YAY for other options

Fantastic news! I've become a big fan of describing gender roles as gender boundaries and its nice to see that terminology being used here

Nightbird

Man, i know this is a good thing, for a company to support LGBTA rights, yet, there is something sinister about seeing the EA logo there, it's like i want to scream at the parade people "NO YOU FOOLS! IT'S A TRAP! DON'T TRUST EA!"

While EA was/is pretty shady as gaming company, they were always incredibly progressive. Not only as gaming company, but as a company in general

I mean in fairness that happened to every Sims game. There would be a ton of expansions adding a lot of stuff, then the new "base" version would come out (Sims 2) and while it would add new features, a lot of the previous expansion stuff wouldn't make it over. Then we'd get more expansions, a new base (3) and onwards.

I think 4's problem was they ran out of new features to throw in, so the disparity between the old fully decked out version versus the new "base" was too big for most people to accept. When (if?) they ever make a Sims 5, we'll probably go through this same song and dance again.

No, it was different with Sims 4. It's not that they removed the content added through patches, it's that they removed content that was in base games since the beginning of the series. At launch you couldn't put pools in or call repairmen, for instance.

Most all of these omissions have been fixed for quite some time now, so thankfully it was just a matter of them basically finishing the base game with free updates. Some stuff is still fundamentally different, such as the removal of the open world from Sims 3, because that's just how the game was made.

Man, i know this is a good thing, for a company to support LGBTA rights, yet, there is something sinister about seeing the EA logo there, it's like i want to scream at the parade people "NO YOU FOOLS! IT'S A TRAP! DON'T TRUST EA!"
"You have to pay us for the season pass if you want to use our banner for longer than a block."

Serious talk, there's a ton you can throw at EA and even if at times they seem to deflect legitimate issues with 'but we're progressive', but it's really cool to see a big company be so inclusive.

More options are always a good thing.

The only thing that irks me when you have so many character creation options opened up in games like this is when they just lump all the options under one menu instead of still having more gender specific filters, or just filters in general to sort things out. Playing XCOM 2 now and you basically have hairstyles opened for everyone but it would be nice if they had sorted those out between short hair and so on to make finding ones quicker and easier.

http://i.imgur.com/Asb079E.jpg

Weird that clothing does not include both ... but YAY for other options

You can show both masculine and feminine clothing in the actual clothes menu through tags if you want.

More options are always a good thing.

The only thing that irks me when you have so many character creation options opened up in games like this is when they just lump all the options under one menu instead of still having more gender specific filters, or just filters in general to sort things out. Playing XCOM 2 now and you basically have hairstyles opened for everyone but it would be nice if they had sorted those out between short hair and so on to make finding ones quicker and easier.

In TS4 you can sort hairstyles through short, medium and long hair. And now with this new patch you can show both masculine and feminine at once, or one or the other.

In another form of progression, windows finally let light through properly and cast shadows. Makes the game look so much nicer.

Platy

Crazy how progressive this is.

EA has always been amazing on this front, including with their accessibility options in their games e.g. colour blind stuff.

You can show both masculine and feminine clothing in the actual clothes menu through tags if you want.

I am starting to think that the image I posted might be fake ... the person who sended me got on facebook ...

Caronte

The say in the patch notes that everything will work as before for random generated sims, which was my concern. So this is great.

The update has been a year in the making.
One year to simply remove a check if the character you want to apply that hairdo or piece of clothing to, is male or female.
Progress!

how did you manage to read just the first part of a sentence?

, and involved reworking hundreds of pieces of previously gender-specific content, from clothing and hairstyles to tone of voice and walking animations

Caronte

There's a lot of drama in the official forums, by the way. People acting like Maxis is forcing them to play a certain way, when this is all optional.

Delio

There's a lot of drama in the official forums, by the way. People acting like Maxis is forcing them to play a certain way, when this is all optional.

Yeah ive been reading it and just shaking my head. BTW damn this opens up so many crop top options for my dude like sooo awesome.

Platy

The say in the patch notes that everything will work as before for random generated sims, which was my concern. So this is great.

I don't like this .... it means that queer people will only exist if the player wants to exist.

Which is the same thing that says that some players does not want queer people to exist.

They should have added a small chance of a random sim being trans or something.... and yes, even children

PulseONE

This is soooo nice! It's been talked about a lot but it was still surprising to suddenly see it actually happen. Now I have to remake a bunch of the families in my world :D

I went from a complete Sims 3 game (and I mean complete, everything from the store and all that stuff) and the only thing I really miss is the Create a Style-thing. Lots of stuff I want to recolor but can't. Not a huge issue tho since the replacement ideas I get turn out great too, but I would love some more colors for doors for example. Thought I would miss the "open world" that made 3 the best Sims for me (before 4) but 4 runs soooo much smoother and I'm not bothered at all by the short loading screens.
I look forward to seeing more expansions because I love pets, seasons and such things, but I don't "miss" them like I thought I would. Current Sims 4 is great as is.
Toddlers would have been nice but... I dunno. I like to play with adults most anyway.

Alright, you've convinced me, next paycheck I'ma get it

I'll have to deal with Origin being a thing, but whatevs

Top Bottom