• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The possible console PS5 Slim leaked? (Update: possible video)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What are they getting away with? They have just simplified production by making the disc drive detachable. It probably has the same APU, have we seen any evidence of another die shrink?
PS5 already shrunk in die and weight in 2 prior revisions from launch.

This will probably be lighter again, but still use the same 6nm down from the 7nm prior.

Fake

DF discusses it and seems John can't wrap his head around the drive being optional as he says he thinks should stay with 2 skus and selling the disk model is the best option

Timestamped

I posted the video timestamped at 39:34 but got deleted.

Rich mention the sales gap between the 2 SKU:
PS5 - 80%
PS5 DE - 20% (and people here bring this stupid argument Fortnite oNlY DiGiTaL to the table LOL)

Thats what I've been talking here and people got triggred. They either sell only one PS5 slim with disc drive (but you can remove disc drive if you wish, but they will come anw) or they need to sell 2 SKU of PS5 slim and the PS5 slim DE will not come with disc drive and they drop the PS5 DE SKU.

Last edited:

Quasicat

As soon as I picked up my PS5, I bought the black plates and replaced the controller with a matching color scheme. I wanted something that would blend in on the shelves with other consoles and not stick out. I’m glad I have an original console, and like how I can change the plates on it. It looks like that will not be possible this time around.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Even if this is true (Unlikely)....
a saving of only $10 per console + 10 million consoles = $100 million, they'd make that money back in no time (as others have mentioned, lower power die saves costs elsewhere)

I'm honestly surprised that Kepler has the Microsoft mindset when it comes to hardware engineering on this. You'd think leaning the Sony way would be his default, considering Sony's long-standing expertise in hardware engineering and first-hand knowledge of the fab process.

That's 2 quarters worth of consoles and then they break even with a die-shrink. Why "WOULDN'T" Sony do that? You shrink the APU, but while doing that you also make the console lighter (decreasing shipping cost) and reduce the amount of cooling it needs. If those two things equal up to $10 per console like midnightAI midnightAI said (it could be more or less), then it's a no-brainer.

As soon as I picked up my PS5, I bought the black plates and replaced the controller with a matching color scheme. I wanted something that would blend in on the shelves with other consoles and not stick out. I’m glad I have an original console, and like how I can change the plates on it. It looks like that will not be possible this time around.
What proof do you have? They could release face plates for this too…

onQ123

DF discusses it and seems John can't wrap his head around the drive being optional as he says he thinks should stay with 2 skus and selling the disk model is the best option

Timestamped

Maybe so PS5 Pro can be sold at a cheaper price without a disce drive without ending up with a bunch of different models.

Maybe they have plans for upgrading PS5 using the disc drive port in the future ( eGPU , Accelerators , or A new media format)

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Maybe so PS5 Pro can be sold at a cheaper price without a disce drive without ending up with a bunch of different models.

Maybe they have plans for upgrading PS5 using the disc drive port in the future ( eGPU , Accelerators , or A new media format)
I hope they do make the drive optional to get the best hardware in they can for the price though I will need that drive :)

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Thats the key question. Are all slim will come without the disc drive? Or will be 2 SKUs?

For me the best option will be selling the PS5 slim with the disc drive.
Oh right, I have seen a few people posting like the drive will be included.

I would assume it's not going to be included, because there aren't really any upsides for Sony to do so.
They would surely rather move to a higher profit digital only ecosystem.
They can presumably expect to sell a console with an optional extra at a higher cost than bundling it in.
Having one console SKU reduces cost for them, a second console SKU means extra stock control, differentiated packaging, etc. etc.
It also gives them the opportunity to do deals with retailers who can bundle the drives with consoles to offer deals to customers.

Not sure why anyone would expect them to include it, tbh.

Last edited:

Fake

I would assume it's not going to be included, because there aren't really any upsides for Sony to do so.
They can presumably expect to sell a console with an optional extra at a higher cost than bundling it in.
Having one console SKU reduces cost for them, a second console SKU means extra stock control, differentiated packaging, etc. etc.
It also gives them the opportunity to do deals with retailers who can bundle the drives with consoles to offer deals to customers.

But all this logic contradictaty themself. One SKU reduce costs, so why they did 2 SKU to begin with?

They need to sell what consumers want. Again, if consumers want to embrace 'all digital' as some fanboys here have been talking, why the gap between the regular PS5 and PS5 DE is so damn high? Dude, is like 80% vs 20%, this gap is gigantic, this is not even debatable.
If is not what consumers want, this logic would destroy the existence of a PRO version with is not true at all. People just want to believe what they want and kick logic away.
Look at me for example, I find the existence of the PRO absurd, BUUUUTTTT I know there are people around the world that would give Sony extra money to get a premium device. They did with Dualsense EDGE already, so why not with the console.

Last edited:

Elios83

So far the PS5 production mix has been dictated by Sony to be 80:20 in favour of the unit with the disc drive.
The reason is obvious, the system costs 100$ more while the cost of the disc unit is far less.
If they make the disc drive completely optional they're going to lose the ability to drive demand towards a more expensive SKU.
That would hurt their hardware profitability considerably and it's enough reason to doubt the disc drive will be sold only optionally.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
But all this logic contradictaty themself. One SKU reduce costs, so why they did 2 SKU to begin with?

They need to sell what consumers want. Again, if consumers want to embrace 'all digital' as some fanboys here have been talking, why the gap between the regular PS5 and PS5 DE is so damn high? Dude, is like 80% vs 20%, this gap is gigantic, this is not even debatable.
If is not what consumers want, this logic would destroy the existence of a PRO version with is not true at all. People just want to believe what they want and kick logic away.
Look at me for example, I find the existence of the PRO absurd, BUUUUTTTT I know there are people around the world that would give Sony extra money to get a premium device. They did with Dualsense EDGE already, so why not with the console.

Not really, the Digital SKU - I think - was about making the system able to be advertised as "starting at..." and, as noted in my post an all-digital ecosystem is more profitable for them, no retailer cut, no disc production and distribution, etc. I

As for selling what consumers want, they'll sell you a console for 425, maybe 400 and a disc drive for 50 say. Some people won't care about the disc drive and so they'll be happy to pay less and the people who do want a disc drive won't be put off by the difference. If it causes sales to slow, then they'll bundle the drives in with the hardware through retailers, like I said. That's basically no worse than the current situation where digtal consoles are about 400 and disc console are (rrp) 475.

Fake

Not really, the Digital SKU - I think - was about making the system able to be advertised as "starting at..." and, as noted in my post an all-digital ecosystem is more profitable for them, no retailer cut, no disc production and distribution, etc. I

As for selling what consumers want, they'll sell you a console for 425, maybe 400 and a disc drive for 50 say. Some people won't care about the disc drive and so they'll be happy to pay less and the people who do want a disc drive won't be put off by the difference. If it causes sales to slow, then they'll bundle the drives in with the hardware through retailers, like I said. That's basically no worse than the current situation where digtal consoles are about 400 and disc console are (rrp) 475.

We don't have data to tell Sony is making profit of either PS5 and PS5 DE. The disc drive don't look so expensive in comparison with the others components... In fact I believe if Sony sell the disc drive for themself will cost very cheap because this can open doors to third party solutions, aka competition as they are doing with the storage solution.

I mean, A ryzen cpu, a raytracing gpu, SSD, a liquid metal cooling solution... impossible the disc drive beat all those components in cost manufactury.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
So far the PS5 production mix has been dictated by Sony to be 80:20 in favour of the unit with the disc drive.
The reason is obvious, the system costs 100$ more while the cost of the disc unit is far less.
If they make the disc drive completely optional they're going to lose the ability to drive demand towards a more expensive SKU.

You have it backwards.

In the current setup they take out the disc drive and reduce the price. They make less money (or a loss / bigger loss). The cost of the PS5 with the disc drive is the main SKU, that's the one that sets the price and the price will be set to be as low as it's possible to go when they launch the console.

Elios83

You have it backwards.

In the current setup they take out the disc drive and reduce the price. They make less money (or a loss / bigger loss). The cost of the PS5 with the disc drive is the main SKU, that's the one that sets the price and the price will be set to be as low as it's possible to go when they launch the console.

Selling a model with a disc drive at 100$ more is just more profitable for them.
It's not backwards, it's what they have done so far. Piloting demand towards the most profitable product using a planned production mix.
Why they should give up on that?
The result is considerably lower hardware profitability.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
We don't have data to tell Sony is making profit of either PS5 and PS5 DE. The disc drive don't look so expensive in comparison with the others components... In fact I believe if Sony sell the disc drive for themself will cost very cheap because this can open doors to third party solutions, aka competition as they are doing with the storage solution.

I mean, A ryzen cpu, a raytracing gpu, SSD, a liquid metal cooling solution... impossible the disc drive beat all those components in cost manufactury.

No, but we know from decades of video game systems hitting the market and competing with one another that the business model is to get the hardware into people's hands and make money from software.
If Sony could have undercut Microsoft by $100 they would have done so and vice versa. I think we have a pretty good idea that both companies were swallowing a loss that they could justify based on decades of sales data. We know that they will want to hit either the same or lower price than the competition. Because of this the cost of the disc drive on the existing SKUs is irrelevant and insignificant. The price reduction on the existing digital SKU has nothing to do with the cost of the components - the cost of the disc drive is nothing compared to the processor, cooling system, etc.

BUT now that the new machine likely comes with a manufacturing cost reduction, Sony might be able to sell the NEW hardware at a lower price - making the system more attractive to buyers without making a greater loss. Maybe even a profit. So, they announce a new price for the hardware, but they sell the disc drive separately. You can still buy a console and hardware for roughly 450/500, but Sony get to make more profit because they now sell the disc drive as a profitable item.

jm89

Sony are fucking retard if they don't release this in full black
230583.jpg

pawn-stars.gif

Cut the plates down in the middle to get that new revision aesthetic.

Last edited:

SSfox

Scrape the red bit off with a knife. Come on gotta think outside the box!
I ain't gonna do Sony homeworks on their place bruh

Anyway I'm curious if new PS5 will have some increase in SSD capacity or will it be same as the current one.

SenkiDala

Yeah honestly I think that's such an underlying feature.

Since decades we're used to "if you want a new color for your console / a special edition for XXX game, buy a brand new console" which was normal. MS tried to innovate a little with the "360 faceplate" but it was just "the front" so it looked weird. Now on PS5 this is the definitive edition of this concept.

I personally don't care of special editions for console (the only time I got one was the Tales of Symphonia green gamecube but it was because it cost only 129€ (compared the 299€ PS2/Xbox)). But honestly for the ones who care it's awesome. You like the Spider-Man 2 edition but already have a PS5 ? Just buy the faceplates, sure "60€ for plastic things gngngn" but better than buying a WHOLE new system 600€ just for that. It's also ecologic.

If the Xbox Series had this possibility... When you see the dozens of controllers they release per year... They'd have gone crazy.

Really a good PS5 feature.

To talk about the slim, the video look believable, the fact it looks not heavy would obviously just be because it would be just the "shell" out of factory without anything inside. Would make sense for Sony to do so, they reduced the weight of the PS5 (600 grams) so make just 1 model and 1 disc drive as an accessory has manufacturing sense... But I would worry it is confusing for the mass market consumers.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I ain't gonna do Sony homeworks on their place bruh

Anyway I'm curious if new PS5 will have some increase in SSD capacity or will it be same as the current one.
I mean, you can buy black plates. Official or third party. They even sell black controllers too, but that purp joint is supreme.

I think the plate option is far better than the past where you had to buy a whole new console.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Selling a model with a disc drive at 100$ more is just more profitable for them.
It's not backwards, it's what they have done so far. Piloting demand towards the most profitable product using a planned production mix.
Why they should give up on that?
The result is considerably lower hardware profitability.

I think I misread your earlier post, we're basically in agreement.

They sell the disc sku for $100 more, but the disc drive is obviously worth nowhere near $100, so there's lots of profit there. I agree with you.

BUT in reality, there's actually a smaller loss. The Digital only machine certainly launched at a bigger loss. That's what I meant when I said that you had it backwards - I think that it's still possible that Sony make a loss on the current Digital SKU, so they're not making a great profit on the disc version, they make a loss on the digital version.

I think the new SKU is, as is widely accepted, is about moving PS5 manufacturing to a lower cost. The machine is already selling well, but they can get it into more price sensitive hands including in countries where the PS5 production costs make it difficult to sell, if they can get the cost down significantly. So, that's why they have redesigned the whole system.

If they can get the new digital machine price down to below the current digital SKU price then what they can do is make the machine available to more people because it's cheaper, but they can also sell the disc drive for an extra fee that effectively makes the total price comparable to what the disc edition is now. So, big savings on hardware, savings on SKU management, opportunity to announce a price cut, opportunity to do deals on hardware bundling etc. etc.

SSfox

I mean, you can buy black plates. Official or third party. They even sell black controllers too, but that purp joint is supreme.

I think the plate option is far better than the past where you had to buy a whole new console.
I just want to buy a package that has it all, a black console with a black pad, you know like it always been?

I disagree. In the past if you want a black console you can just buy it, now you have to buy a PS5, then spent extra €€ for black plates, then sell the white controller, then buy a black one

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I just want to buy a package that has it all, a black console with a black pad, you know like it always been?

I disagree. In the past if you want a black console you can just buy it, now you have to buy a PS5, then spent extra €€ for black plates, then sell the white controller, then buy a black one
But what if someone wanted the white one and they only did black? Or what is someone wants a purple one or a blue one?

This method you can change colors at any time. They are not going to make a SKU for every color, those days are long gone logistically. They may come back in the future, but supply chains are still FUBAR, getting better since companies are starting to streamline production (hence the heavily rumored new model), but they are far from what they used to be years ago.

I'm still waiting on warranty parts for one of my performance vehicles and it's going on 3 months now. Shit is still messed.

Last edited:

Fake

You maybe skipped the follow up conversation. My guess was indeed either 2 SKU (Replace PS5 and PS5 DE with PS5 slim and PS5 slim without disc drive)or 1 SKU with the disc.
Only the ones quoting me said that one single SKU without the disc drive would replace the 2 SKU.

You maybe skipped the follow up conversation. My guess was indeed either 2 SKU (Replace PS5 and PS5 DE with PS5 slim and PS5 slim without disc drive)or 1 SKU with the disc.
Only the ones quoting me said that one single SKU without the disc drive would replace the 2 SKU.
No. It has an external reader without a USB-C cable.

Tsaki

You know it will. Sony isn't going to announce this in a premier show or anything. That'll be too smart for Jim stupid Ryan.
Why would they make a big deal out of it? This is a cost reduction to help Sony's bottom line. This only affects the consumer if it lowers the average selling price and the consumer will notice this when they see the price of the console being lower in stores anyway.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Why would they make a big deal out of it? This is a cost reduction to help Sony's bottom line. This only affects the consumer if it lowers the average selling price and the consumer will notice this when they see the price of the console being lower in stores anyway.

Because it's smart to make your consumer base excited about your products. Nintendo finds a way to do it all the time.

Tsaki

Because it's smart to make your consumer base excited about your products. Nintendo finds a way to do it all the time.
This model will be a slight revamp of the original, with minimal changes to its exterior and size so the owners of PS5 have no reason to care for it since they already have one. The only ones who will care for it are people that don't have a PS5 and the reason for that is either games or price. The games aspect does not change and the price will be reflected in the stores, so potential buyers who would not go above $400 for a console will now be interested.
This isn't a special edition console where hardcore fans might want to collect. It's just a step above the 2 (or 3?) revisions PS5 already had, with lower BOM and power consumption.
Think of it like this: Imagine a friend of yours that doesn't have a PS5. How would you go about selling them on the new PS5 without mentioning its lower price?
The things that are actually new, like the Portal, earbuds, higher-tier headset, did show them at the Showcase and months before release since they need the advertisement of what they are and why you might want one. If you didn't want a PS5 this new model is not meant to convince you, other than price of course.

Top Bottom