• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PlayStation 5 is the only product drawing crowds on Black Friday 2020, and it's not even discounted

ReBurn

Gold Member
I will agree with that, the prices for playstation 5 and demand is higher than the XSX and for many good reasons. I'm enjoying my ps5 while the XSX lies dormant for now until games that run better or exclusives come out.

I just said the article makes it sound like all the demand is for PS.
The article itself is full of crap. It's hyperbole. If it was drawing actual crowds the article would have used pictures of actual PS5 crowds.

It even says that there weren't crowds.

Elsewhere in Manhattan, at the Macy's flagship store in Herald Square, the crowds were nowhere to be seen: Just 30 people were reportedly waiting in line when the store opened on Friday morning, the NY Post reported.

This article is about idiots lining up outside of Gamestop because they didn't know the stores had 2 consoles max.

Neff

You torpedoed a PS5 cheerleading thread with the first post, so naturally you'll draw ire from the SonyGAF marketers, but... you're not wrong. It's an undercooked console with underwhelming launch games. PS5 is a big, talked-about event for sure, and people naturally want to get in on that, but in terms of delivering a must-have gaming experience, Waiting a year or two will pay off. We have plenty to play.

Aesius

It's because tech has stagnated. Most people have fast smartphones. Decent/relatively up to date tablets and laptops. Newish 4K HDTVs. Soundbars. Headphones. Smart home devices. E-readers. Basically, stuff has gotten good enough in the past 5 years that there hasn't been a huge need to upgrade. PS5 is actually new and exciting, though, so people want to jump on it over almost all other tech products.

Last edited:

Shane89

Still not buying this shit... hope everyone else has a good time with their backlog though.

Edit - For seething Fanboys getting salty at not wanting something:
- This fat fuck console is ugly as sin, I'd rather wait for the revision as it is giving people hardware issues... instead I bought my LG CX and am waiting for the 3080Ti price reveal.
- I will not pay $60 for a DLC of Spiderman
- I have an extensive backlog of PS Exclusives
- I do not buy games at launch when they will be discounted significantly later since I have patience
- Imagine shaming someone for not buying this shit, people really have become stupid

Thanks.
DqJQdCzX0AETev2.jpg

Derktron

Banned
Still not buying this shit... hope everyone else has a good time with their backlog though.

- This fat fuck console is ugly as sin, I'd rather wait for the revision as it is giving people hardware issues... instead I bought my LG CX and am waiting for the 3080Ti price reveal.
- I do not buy games at launch when they will be discounted significantly later since I have patience
- Imagine shaming someone for not buying this shit, people really have become stupid

Thanks.

You torpedoed a PS5 cheerleading thread with the first post, so naturally you'll draw ire from the SonyGAF marketers, but... you're not wrong. It's an undercooked console with underwhelming launch games. PS5 is a big, talked-about event for sure, and people naturally want to get in on that, but in terms of delivering a must-have gaming experience, Waiting a year or two will pay off. We have plenty to play.

Has any non-Nintendo console ever had a better launch lineup than the PS5?

assurdum

Banned

Thanks.
I will never understand the purpose of post like this.

Last edited:

killatopak

Thanks.
Why does everyone want something I do not want?!

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
The PlayStation 5 appears to be the most in-demand item this Black Friday, and it's not even discounted.

8nbBUM2.jpg

In stark contrast to the empty malls and big box retailer stores across the United States, GameStop drew massive lines on Black Friday. The crowds weren't there for a big game launch, but for the possibility of snagging the new PlayStation 5 console.

That's because the PS5 is the hottest product this holiday – so popular that thousands of people were willing to line up amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, with infection rates increasing rapidly across the US.

Just as soon as retailers restock the $500 console online, it swiftly sells out. It's in such high demand, and such low supply, that a robust resale market has sprung up — the PlayStation 5 sells for nearly double its retail price at resale sites like StockX and eBay.
Why would there be lines at Gamestop? All stores only got 2 consoles on Black Friday.

Redlancet

Banned

Thanks.
Ok, Thanks for your valuable and interesting opinión

Both next gen consoles are in high demand but as we all know, the PS5 is in higher demand. A dude here in Orlando camped out for two days and got one on Black Friday. That GameStop had a total of two PS5s and had tons of people camped out front. My brother finally snagged a 3090 to replace his 2080ti using an app that alerts you as soon as it goes live across multiple sites:

MSHkXtR.jpg

NkeFtvp.jpg

The thirst is real for all of this new tech.

teezzy

Banned
why wait? Demons souls is already on my shelf. I will get the PS5 whenever it's now or in 3 years. If I want to get it,,, why not now

I'm mostly talking about waiting in line while stock is low like a submissive, low-born dullard.

Enjoy your new console bro! Cheers.

Thanks.

- It is beautiful beast
- Smart people buy games that they want with price they want, like do the magical thing of buying used or waiting few months for price drops (even cyberpunk is sold under 40€ for ps4/ps5 version at the moment)
- good point, I have +50 ps4 games to play too or more, so now I can play em on ps5 + play next gen games
- then why do you complain about "spiderman dlc" costing 60$ when you would not pay full price even for game that includes 100 spiderman games, when you say you wait for discounts anyway?
- imagine shaming someone for buying this shit

No thanks.

I get your points somewhat, but you are spending ridiculous sums of money for 3080ti (they wont be cheap), yet you complain about this stuff. Do you really need expensive as fuck GPU to enjoy your few PC exclusives?

"I dont want to pay 500€ for new console with epic features compared to ps4, but I will pay 700-900€ for gpu that offers more the same"

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I'm mostly talking about waiting in line while stock is low like a submissive, low-born dullard.

Enjoy your new console bro! Cheers.
Would enjoy but I don't have it yet :( My 19th nov preorder was cancelled.
Poland retailers straight ups said "no consoles in stores on site, only online purchases" so why people would gather in lines is really weird true

Thanks.
Jim would like to have a word with you.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
In the city I live there's a pop. of around 40k and a single GameStop. On the morning of Xbox release(Nov. 10th) there were around 40 people who showed up not understanding that the consoles sold out in mid-September. There were these kiddos that waited 4 fuckin' days to get at the 6 extra day-1 units being provided. I was continually explaining that the consoles essentially sold out in September.

Last edited:

Elcid

Banned
Fahdis Fahdis you’re being a prude.

I’m legit grateful right now to Sony for letting me in on their invite direct purchase thing. Apparently even the headsets and controller chargers are sold out everywhere.

First page is high in sodium concentration.

People literally sleeping with inflatable beds outside of GameStop to get a PS5.

Beast.

And after having one for a while... well deserved.

Last edited:

Damigos

Thanks.

Someone is annyoed

Gamerguy84

Tried to get one at launch and failed because I didn't have the time to dedicate to F5.

I'm not even trying anymore for a couple months because of Christmas and bills.

I just hope the obsession begins to die down by then.

oagboghi2

Thanks.
It's okay, you couldn't preorder one. That's fine
I never understood why people cant just wait

Of course they can wait

They just don't want to. There is a difference

Last edited:

Tomeru

Thanks.

Umm excuse me! Waiter!

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I feel lucky as hell I was able to get one.

Absolute madness. I can't even imagine what the sales woulda been like if there was no pandemic.

That Sony seems to be handling stock situations well during all this is amazing.

OrtizTwelve

It’s not surprising the PS5 is in high demand coming off the successful PS4, what we’re seeing shouldn’t be a surprise to anybody. Add the pandemic to the mix and more consumers investing in home entertainment to stay home — the insanity reaches higher levels.

sinseers

How is that possible if it’s sold out? Or it didn’t sell out and they held stock back?

Is that responsible in the COVID age?

Or is a site making up stories?

So many questions that will never be answered.
It's true. I saw P5s AND XSX joints in Walmart today and I wasn't even looking for them. The P5s went instantly (one per customer) while there was still about 6-8 XSXs left when I was leaving.

Man, the sodium levels on the first page is insane. People mad that other people are willing to camp out and wait for a product they want. Where was this salt when folks were camping for 3080s and 3090s? The PS5 has high demand because it’s a new console, it has naturally more demand than the XSX because it’s a more popular brand and it has better must have games at launch than the XSX.

I will never understand people that get upset over how other people are spending their hard earned money. You’re not buying a PS5? Who gives a shit? There are millions more that want one this holiday. Waiting for a price drop won’t do shit because the PS5 won’t get a price drop for years if PS4 is anything to go by. Waiting for games? It already has good games right now with many more planned to release next year.

Are you kidding? PS1, Saturn, and PS2 had terrible launches. Dreamcast ill give ya though.

Yeah I had to go back and look at the launch lineups because I figured I was missing something. Nope:

PS1: Air Combat, Battle Arena Toshinden, ESPN Extreme Games, Kileak: The DNA Imperative, NBA JAM Tournament Edition, Power Serve 3D Tennis, Rayman, Ridge Racer, Street Fighter: The Movie, The Raiden Project, Total Eclipse Turbo, Zero Divide

PS2: Armored Core 2, DOA2: Hardcore, Dynasty Warriors 2, ESPN International Track and Field, ESPN X-Games Snowboarding, Eternal Ring, Evergrace, FantaVision, Gungriffon Blaze, Kessen, Madden NFL 2001, Midnight Club, Moto GP, NHL 2001, Orphen, Q-Ball Billiards Master, Ready 2 Rumble Boxing: Round 2, Ridge Racer V, Silent Scope, Smuggler's Run, SSX, Street Fighter EX3, Summoner, Swing Away, Tekken Tag Tournament, TimeSplitters, Unreal Tournament, Wild Wild Racing, X-Squad

The only game from either launch lineup that I can remember enjoying is Tekken Tag Tournament (though if I'd known about From back then I might have enjoyed Eternal Ring or Evergrace).

Fahdis

- It is beautiful beast
- Smart people buy games that they want with price they want, like do the magical thing of buying used or waiting few months for price drops (even cyberpunk is sold under 40€ for ps4/ps5 version at the moment)
- good point, I have +50 ps4 games to play too or more, so now I can play em on ps5 + play next gen games
- then why do you complain about "spiderman dlc" costing 60$ when you would not pay full price even for game that includes 100 spiderman games, when you say you wait for discounts anyway?
- imagine shaming someone for buying this shit

No thanks.

I get your points somewhat, but you are spending ridiculous sums of money for 3080ti (they wont be cheap), yet you complain about this stuff. Do you really need expensive as fuck GPU to enjoy your few PC exclusives?

"I dont want to pay 500€ for new console with epic features compared to ps4, but I will pay 700-900€ for gpu that offers more the same"

- No
- I don't have this issue, my storefront on Steam is cheap as hell. Cyberpunk and new games cost me alot less than you westerners at launch. I live in the west but I am a dual citizen. Cyberpunk is $29 for me. So all my third parties are bought on PC. PS exclusives are given out with PS Plus and I have every Sony Exclusive from last gen minus TLOU II and GOT because a PS5 upgrade is imminent or a sale if not. People buy what they buy out of impulse. I save and buy what I want when I want it at a better price. Perhaps these same games will come to PC. Waiting is good.
- I did not shame anyone until I got salty responses. All I said was I'm not buying this shit and hope people have a good time with their backlog.

The cost opportunity of buying a PS5 with some exclusives vs. A PC GPU with better features for $200-500 is more alluring since these GPUs made consoles obsolete the moment they were announced. And I get 5 years out of it too.

Fahdis

Fahdis Fahdis you’re being a prude.

I’m legit grateful right now to Sony for letting me in on their invite direct purchase thing. Apparently even the headsets and controller chargers are sold out everywhere.

Good on you man, you guys enjoy what you want yo enjoy :).

ANIMAL1975

But its hilarious how gullible fanboys eat this shit up. The consoles are sold out everywhere. Gamestops were only getting 2 ps5s and 4 xbox. Only saw a handful of people lined up like idiots.
Not a fan of people poking reality in fanboy narratives?
I wonder if there's already a study about this pattern of behavior among the fanboy ecosystems _ every time they are engaged in conversation with contradictory opinions, they feel attacked and start calling everyone and their mamas fanboys left and right.

Top Bottom