• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The official Zen 3 with Ryzen 5000 reveal thread

Andodalf

Banned
Vz2mcvA.png

Seems like slower than RTX3080 ? Checked Techpowerup for 4k benchmark of Gears 5 and Borderland 3 with the allegedly slowest 3080 (Zotac Trinity) :pie_thinking: Price will be deciding factor I guess

gears-5-3840-2160.png
borderlands-3-3840-2160.png

AMD was never going to beat Nvidia in the high end, people were deluded. They had too much ground to make up in terms of RT tech

Vz2mcvA.png

Seems like slower than RTX3080 ? Checked Techpowerup for 4k benchmark of Gears 5 and Borderland 3 with the allegedly slowest 3080 (Zotac Trinity) :pie_thinking: Price will be deciding factor I guess

gears-5-3840-2160.png
Yet I was considered to be full of shit in another thread exclaiming that AMD is not better than intel and nVidia in regards to efficiency and design. You get what you pay for.

Last edited:
  • Empathy
Reactions: GHG

smbu2000

Think i'm just going to stay with the 3900x. I game at 4K anyway so I don't think the gains will be that much and I rather wait for Zen 4.
Isn’t Zen 4 rumored to be moving on to the next socket (not AM4).

Zen 3 is supposed to be the last AM4 Zen CPUs.
That’s why I’m thinking about upgrading from my 3900X to a 5900X or 5950X on my X570 board.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Not thrilled with the prices. I was considering upgrading a 3700x to 5900x, but not at that price. I will just wait a few gens and do a full rebuild. I have never been able to justify a CPU upgrade.

Vz2mcvA.png

gears-5-3840-2160.png
Hmm. Does seem a bit low. However if they price it at or lower then the 3070 then it's a good deal assuming it has a DLSS and RTX competitor.
However it's also double the 5700XT which is nice to see. Price it right AMD and you've got something on your hands.

Depending on the price, a GPU a step down from the 3080 but with 16GB of VRAM is actually somewhat compelling - but we still don't know about raytracing/answer to DLSS?

Of course Nvidia will definitely have a 3070 with 16GB of VRAM ready.....sooooo...

Wonder how long we'll have to wait for a 20GB 3080.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
I'd like to see 1440p benchmarks and not just 1080p.

You want tests at 1080p, thats where it comes more dependent on cpu frequency than gpu. higher you go in resolution the less the cpu is leveraged. Becomes more about the gpu at higher resolutions.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Big Navi will most likely hit $499 like 3070 8GB $599 like 3070 16GB. Better raster performance, but probably worse RT and no DLSS.

Last edited:
Even the prices seem really good... now to see how they will translate to eurobucks.
How will this 300$ 5600X compare to a current 3700X for gaming?

Last edited:
It's still way too expensive if you want to buy an 8 core 16 thread CPU to match the next gen consoles.
Well, yeah. This CPU doesn't match console CPUs, it destroys them. If you want a match, what's stopping you from just getting a 2700x? Dirt cheap, 8 cores, and probably the closest thing to PS5/XSX in terms of performance.

Great performance but with inflated prices.

AMD is finally beating Intel in everything it seems, games were the last stand.
I see. So nothing mindblowing.
Still, it seems AMD is a good allrounder but nothing spectacular.
They surpassed Intel's 14nm with their 7nm but still did not overwhelm, and their video cards while comparable lack Nvidia's features..

Guess I'll wait another year for upgrade :messenger_clapping: .

Last edited:

Senua

I got confused because I thought they had announced a zen 3 version of the 3700x. They have only announced a 6 core, an 8 core and a 12 core zen 3. I dont think anyone wants to buy a zen 2 after this announcement and miss out on the 19% IPC gains.
Well you "if you want to buy an 8 core 16 thread CPU to match the next gen consoles. "

The 3700x is quite the match indeed

Rickyiez

If they didn't have an answer to DLSS , Nvidia is still by far the better option . It will be the repeat of 2070 super vs 5700xt .

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Well, yeah. This CPU doesn't match console CPUs, it destroys them. If you want a match, what's stopping you from just getting a 2700x? Dirt cheap, 8 cores, and probably the closest thing to PS5/XSX in terms of performance.
The point of building PCs isnt just matching console performance. You want your PC to destroy console performance. And a 6 core 12 thread CPU isnt gonna do that.

most console games next gen will still target 30 fps. Thats just how it is. Then you will need extra cores and faster clocks to hit 60 to 120 fps. No one is building PCs to game at 30 fps.

smbu2000

AMD will most likely release cheaper non-X versions once the X versions are out for a bit. A lower cost 6core 5600 or a cheaper 8 core 5800/5700/X SKU.

I got confused because I thought they had announced a zen 3 version of the 3700x. They have only announced a 6 core, an 8 core and a 12 core zen 3. I dont think anyone wants to buy a zen 2 after this announcement and miss out on the 19% IPC gains.

A 3700x is still significantly better than the Zen2 3.5/3.6ghz with SMT chip which is part of the next-gen consoles due to its higher clock rate and the full 8 cores / 16 threads available for games. At this point, if pricing is a factor, you're better going with a 3700x than a 5600x for future proofing. Also, not everyone building a PC has the objective of "destroying" the consoles. Most probably want parity with "benefices".

Last edited:

martino

Vz2mcvA.png

gears-5-3840-2160.png
ho no....
so it's shaping the 3070 perf rumor was not a bad one.
why it's always like that on gpu front ?
this probably also explain some DF choices for console comparisons.
we'll see in the end but i'm now glad i secured a day one ps5.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Well you "if you want to buy an 8 core 16 thread CPU to match the next gen consoles. "

The 3700x is quite the match indeed
tbh i dont even know why we are talking about a zen 2 CPU in a zen 3 thread.

I want the 8 core zen 3 to be priced better than $450. thats all. we are all going to be pairing it up with a 3080 which is $700 and offered 100% more performance than the 2080 for the same price. I dont think AMD is promising 100% more performance here. seems to be 20-30% max.

Xyphie

62.8*1.15=72.22 FPS (Gears 5)
49*1.15=56.35 FPS (Borderlands 3)

Looks like 2080 Ti + 15% performance for Navi 21 was about right.

The point of building PCs isnt just matching console performance.
But that's literally what you said.

most console games next gen will still target 30 fps. Thats just how it is. Then you will need extra cores and faster clocks to hit 60 to 120 fps. No one is building PCs to game at 30 fps.
I guarantee you that you won't need a 5800X to hit 60+ FPS on console ports. A 3700x and probably even a 2700x will do just fine. Saving on the CPU and investing the money in a faster GPU will always be the way to go if you're after higher frame rates.

tbh i dont even know why we are talking about a zen 2 CPU in a zen 3 thread.

I want the 8 core zen 3 to be priced better than $450. thats all. we are all going to be pairing it up with a 3080 which is $700 and offered 100% more performance than the 2080 for the same price. I dont think AMD is promising 100% more performance here. seems to be 20-30% max.

3080 is not 100% more performance than 2080.

Even Ryzen 2 desktop demolishes the one inside next gen consoles.

Eliciel

The GPU they showed off is not quite as powerful as the 2080ti.

It all depends on which GPU AMD was showing. But the one they showed, whichever it is, is definitely s step down from the 3080.

Pretty curious to see raytracing performance. Keeping my expectations low.
If you think about strategy of deception, it should not be their biggest Card. But WHO knows..

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
ho no....

I remember hearing from AdoredTV or something quite a while ago that their Radeon division just doesn't have the budget to compete and specialize in super gaming focused GPUs separate from more workstation oriented ones. Maybe I'm misremembering or that was bullshit, but I think the budget argument is obviously true.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
You want tests at 1080p, thats where it comes more dependent on cpu frequency than gpu. higher you go in resolution the less the cpu is leveraged. Becomes more about the gpu at higher resolutions.

We are to the point we are going to start moving away from 1080P and with the release of RTX 3000 and Big Navi we should be having less issues with GPU bottlenecking.

I get it, but a consumer I want to see more real world results and not best case snearios that fit the narrative of the person selling the product.

Andodalf

Banned
I remember hearing from AdoredTV or something quite a while ago that their Radeon division just doesn't have the budget to compete and specialize in super gaming focused GPUs separate from more workstation oriented ones. Maybe I'm misremembering or that was bullshit, but I think the budget argument is obviously true.

Yeah AMD doesn't have the budget to compete with Nvdia or really Intel, which is what makes Intel's fall so embarrassing.

silent head

ho no....

MnewFzJ.jpg

qyGXxKo.png

xTab6NR.png

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Yeh I think that's what it was. Borderlands 3 was 61 fps as well I think.

Any idea how those numbers compare to the 3080?

That number basically sits in between the 3080 and 2080ti / 3070

It's 50% faster than a 5900xt. If its there flag ship card.

however i find techspots numbers kinda weird doesn't seem like ultra to me. pretty sure DF said 2080ti sits at 55fps at 4k on ultra gears of war 5. That would mean its about equal towards a 3080.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
my take:
👍 much better perf/watt than Intel
👍 5950XT for $800 is as fast as Intel´s $500+ i9 10900K (gaming, finally)
👎 5950XT for $800 is faster as Intel´s $500+ i9 10900K (cpu apps, no shit 10 vs 16 cores)
👎 weak uplift of 631:544 = %16 in cpu heavy tasks (that´s mainly due the extra Mhz via boost Mode)
👎 RX6000 is a meager 22% faster than a 2080Ti FE in Borderlands 3
👎 5800XT is way overpriced for an 8 core at $450
👎 +59% better performance in 3D apps. is lame as fuck, i guess she forgot that the 5950XT has an 8 extra threads

Disappointing RX6000 performance, if Borderlands 3 4K60 are to be believed. And still no 10core or 20core cpu ...

smbu2000

I bought a 3900x for $430 many months ago.
It’s great to see that prices do come down on theses CPUs. I bought my 3900X for $500 once they were finally in stock and before the 3950X release.

It would be nice to get a 5900X or 5950X at a lower than MSRP price.

Although, I did get two free games with the CPU, so it’s hard to complain.

Boss Mog

They fucked up on the pricing there. $449 for 8 core 16 thread is too much when the i7 10700K has the same core/thread count and is like 100 bucks cheaper and I doubt the gaming performance will be all that different.

Boss Mog

ho no....
They're not telling you which card it is though, it might not be their highest tier card. It probably is but you never know.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
-DF tested Gears 5 at 4K/Ultra and 2080ti = 63fps avg, 3080 = 81fps avg
-Guru3d tested Gears 5 at 4K/Ultra and 2080ti = 61fps avg, 3080 = 76 avg
-TPU tested COD MW at 4K/Ultra and 2080ti = 77.9fps avg
-AMD is showing Big Navi playing Gears 5 4K/Ultra = 73fps avg, COD MW = 88fps

That's fairly close to a 3080 in raster. Now, we'll have to see how 3080 does with 5950X CPU to level the playing field. Depending on RT performance, this could slot at $549-$599, so it will compete against 3070 16GB. This isn't bad at all, I just hope the RT is up to snuff.

Top Bottom