• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

|OT| The official Zen 3 with Ryzen 5000 reveal thread

Armorian

Jan 17, 2018
5600X is fucking crazy good. I tried some manual OC but it doesn't make much sense for Ryzens, with PBO set to manual and x10 (and +200MHz) settings this CPU gets up to ~4.8GHz (4.6GHz on auto PBO).

0.5 res scale for maximum CPU bottleneck :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Sep 29, 2011
Finally got my hands on a last-gen AMD cpu so that I can update my bios (new mobo, came with old bios) to support the 5000 series. If all goes according to plan, I'll have my new build fully operational this afternoon. Fingers crossed!

Reactions: Rentahamster
May 8, 2006
Spain
steamcommunity.com
What I found most interesting about that video was the temps. I keep hearing the 5800X runs pretty f'ing hot, but it looks like while gaming (which is my primary use) it's not much different than the other two. Yes, he's got a good AIO, but so do I, so that helps settle my concerns.

Well, mine is actually slightly OC’d (4,6Ghz, 1.25vc) and it is running at 45-50ºc, using a Noctua DH-15.

Btw, I noticed AC:V barely relies on CPU, but it drains your GPU

Reactions: Allnamestakenlol
Sep 29, 2011
Well, mine is actually slightly OC’d (4,6Ghz, 1.25vc) and it is running at 45-50ºc, using a Noctua DH-15.

Btw, I noticed AC:V barely relies on CPU, but it drains your GPU
That's a pretty good temp for gaming, imo. I don't plan to OC mine (seems like the benefits are very minimal in the videos I've seen), but I'll have an Arctic Freezer 2 360mm on it. Looking forward to seeing the improvements I'll get in games like Total War: WH2 over the i7-4790k I have now.

Sep 29, 2011
So far, the 5800x has been a great pairing with my rtx3080. Played several games and had noticeable improvements over my i7 4790k (duh, I guess). Games are generally a lot smoother - high fps seems to be the same, but the lows and random stutters (likely frame drops) are much improved. Some older games there's just no helping, tho. GTA V still gives bizarro frame drops, while gpu/cpu utilization is relatively low. Eh, what can you do. Either way, very happy with my purchase. Also, it runs pretty cool during gaming - usually in the 40s and 50s *C. Now if I could just get my ram to run at decent timings....

Edit: Also, with the auto-OC feature enabled in the Ryzen Master software, it consistently boosts to 4.95 ghz while doing cpu intensive tasks. Color me impressed!

Last edited:

longdi

Ni hao ma, fellow kids?
Jun 7, 2004
So far, the 5800x has been a great pairing with my rtx3080. Played several games and had noticeable improvements over my i7 4790k (duh, I guess). Games are generally a lot smoother - high fps seems to be the same, but the lows and random stutters (likely frame drops) are much improved. Some older games there's just no helping, tho. GTA V still gives bizarro frame drops, while gpu/cpu utilization is relatively low. Eh, what can you do. Either way, very happy with my purchase. Also, it runs pretty cool during gaming - usually in the 40s and 50s *C. Now if I could just get my ram to run at decent timings....

Edit: Also, with the auto-OC feature enabled in the Ryzen Master software, it consistently boosts to 4.95 ghz while doing cpu intensive tasks. Color me impressed!

Damn! Amd auto-OC is finally working as promised.
Sucks to zen2 users like me, got snooked about the 4.7ghz bluff.
zen2 simply is wip.
zen3 is the real amd deal. :messenger_unamused: :messenger_fistbump:

Mhmmm 2077

Oct 9, 2014
Poland
Gigabyte/Aorus also released some new BIOS, but sadly, from what I understand, it's in beta (since there is a letter after the version number)?

screenshot taken on B550 Aorus Elite website - I'm currently on F10 and not sure if it's safe to upgrade the bios to these, seemingly, beta ones.