• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaeger

Bidding on my first Yahoo Japan! Auction, which happens to be a completed/painted Gunpla, which is (as of now) less expensive than buying it raw through the usual spots (with most being out of stock).

It helps that the model in question is gorgeously done, too. I'll keep Gundam-GAF informed on the process.

mingus

just wait for bandai exclusive DLC HGUC jegan ECOAS [Conroy Use]

tumblr_myf9dqryYT1qzavcco3_500.gif

NeonZ

It's too bad Unicorn didn't come before F-91, Crossbone or anything that takes place afterward because the
retcon really balks at later installments and something as important as Laplace Box (the removed article) is missing from the history presented in later series in the calendar. We're also getting a Tomino Gundam in the same universe that will likely also ignore it. It will be interesting to see how it's written.

It's kind of funny how the retcon done by Unicorn regarding the chart actually makes DOME's speech at the end of X about the unnamed previous age fit UC even better, even though Unicorn's and X's intentions are completely opposed on that matter.

DOME, in X, talked about how the people in the old age had lost their old values and were looking for something to fill their void. When someone with the special abilities then showed up, they were quick to throw those set of values and expectations they were looking for on them, calling them "Newtypes". It wasn't just a word made to describe the people with special powers, but a set of preexisting expectations applied to them because they seemed to fulfill what they were looking for.

Before Unicorn though, there was never any proof in animated UC at least that the Newtype idea came before the Newtypes themselves were found. The chart changes that and shows that they were looking for advanced humans. The ironic thing here is that Unicorn seems to want to portray this initial expectation and idolatry for the new humans in some kind of positive way, rather than the obvious farce that the entire concept is like DOME points out in X.

Although X is not officially connected to UC, this just makes me look at it even more as a fitting conclusion to everything there.

Before Unicorn though, there was never any proof in animated UC at least that the Newtype idea came before the Newtypes themselves were found. The chart changes that and shows that they were looking for advanced humans.

No it doesn't because in the same breath the show says "And that shit was real dumb. Holy shit that was so dumb that the guy that thought of it had to die because man its really dangerous to have some one that stupid in charge. Then everyone promptly continued to ignore the whole thing until another crazy idiot showed up with some really dumb ideas.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Congratulations, you're sloppy thirds!

Somehow doesn't make her ending better.

Diana and Loran's relationship isn't romantic. IIRC he's just taking care of her until she dies from her terminal illness as a result of her long term cryosleep.

It's kind of funny how the retcon done by Unicorn regarding the chart actually makes DOME's speech at the end of X about the unnamed previous age fit UC even better, even though Unicorn's and X's intentions are completely opposed on that matter.

DOME, in X, talked about how the people in the old age had lost their old values and were looking for something to fill their void. When someone with the special abilities then showed up, they were quick to throw those set of values and expectations they were looking for on them, calling them "Newtypes". It wasn't just a word made to describe the people with special powers, but a set of preexisting expectations applied to them because they seemed to fulfill what they were looking for.

Before Unicorn though, there was never any proof in animated UC at least that the Newtype idea came before the Newtypes themselves were found. The chart changes that and shows that they were looking for advanced humans. The ironic thing here is that Unicorn seems to want to portray this initial expectation and idolatry for the new humans in some kind of positive way, rather than the obvious farce that the entire concept is like DOME points out in X.

Although X is not officially connected to UC, this just makes me look at it even more as a fitting conclusion to everything there.

Actually, one of the major themes in Tomino's original novel is the idea that the people that were emerging in the OYW with psychic powers were not the Newtypes that Zeon Deikun proposed. I think this is where some people get confused with regards to Unicorn, because it plays with this concept as well. I've seen several people online say "how can there be any doubt that Newtypes exist? They're pretty much proven at this point."

People with enhanced perception and reflexes that border on pre-cognition, while also possessing telepathy have been proven, yes. But that isn't necessarily what Zeon Deikun proposed. His concept of newtypes was much more philosophical, almost spiritual. And because of that, it's very much a politicized subject. So when people began to emerge with these awesome abilities, the term was basically hijacked by each side for their own various uses.

If there is one thing I loved about the novel, it is the discussions and debates the characters have on the subject of newtypes. It really opened my eyes on the matter.

If there is one thing I loved about the novel, it is the discussions and debates the characters have on the subject of newtypes. It really opened my eyes on the matter.

That was also present in the tv show and movies. It's just the message gets muddled when Amuro blows up 6 DOMs thanks to his cool psychic powers.

Yeah, it's definitely present in the TV series, but in the novel, I'd say about 1/3rd to half of the page count is taken up by newtype discussions.

CorvoSol

Diana and Loran's relationship isn't romantic. IIRC he's just taking care of her until she dies from her terminal illness as a result of her long term cryosleep.

What? I totally got the impression they were romantic, what with the dancing and all that. Hm.

Anyway, I started Gundam Breaker today. I have ComMANding officer and Lolitenant Communications as allies, I guess? Haven't figured out if I can't upgrade my GM yet or if I just didn't get the parts to do it during the first mission. Firing the beam rifle seems kinda unwieldy and beam saber seems so much more practical. Game looks great on my Vita, though.

What? I totally got the impression they were romantic, what with the dancing and all that. Hm.

You need to re-watch those last 5 minutes. It pretty much goes out of its way to paint Loran in a servile position, continuing his job of being a manservant since the start of the series.

Tookay

Ugh. I haven't watched the final Unicorn episode and none of these impressions are giving me high hopes. :(

It was messy but it was still the best Gundam in a while. They hit the right feels for once.

Just don't expect explanations for everything or perfect closure.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
You need to re-watch those last 5 minutes. It pretty much goes out of its way to paint Loran in a servile position, continuing his job of being a manservant since the start of the series.

I think everyone was confused by that scene though. Especially since a platonic romance sort of suits Diana and Loran.

I think the biggest thing that threw people off was the ring on Diana's finger at the end. Most people figured it was a wedding or engagement ring from Loran, but it's actually supposed to be a memento of Will Game.

Which makes it even more hilarious that she is holding onto a memento of the only man she ever loved while Loran is just hovering around there.

Well the great great great(how many is it) grandson of the only man she ever loved. Long term suspended animation is a bitch.

RangerBAD

I loved the hell out of it. There are some things I would have had them elaborate on, but the stuff that IS there is an emotional rollercoaster

Well, I feel like it wasn't bad, but it left me with questions about certain things and that's why I posted about it.
Full Frontal needed more elaboration during the course of the series, but instead we're kind of left scratching out heads going, "Who was that guy really?" I feel like they took some concepts from the CCA ending and really went wild with it. I think Gundam had been pretty subtle about some of the Newtype metaphysical related stuff up to this point. Gundam was always a story about war and the hopes pinned on the future generation.

Loran is too loyal for his own damn good

I was going to correct that statement, but you might not be far enough in the series. :x

It was messy but it was still the best Gundam in a while. They hit the right feels for once.

Just don't expect explanations for everything or perfect closure.

Production-wise it is absolutely the best Gundam we have had in a long time.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I feel like it wasn't bad, but it left me with questions about certain things and that's why I posted about it.
Full Frontal needed more elaboration during the course of the series, but instead we're kind of left scratching out heads going, "Who was that guy really?" I feel like they took some concepts from the CCA ending and really went wild with it. I think Gundam had been pretty subtle about some of the Newtype metaphysical related stuff up to this point. Gundam was always a story about war and the hopes pinned on the future generation.

I was going to correct that statement, but you might not be far enough in the series. :x

I'm talking about its ending

How much further can I go?

RangerBAD

A lot of the psychoframe technology
doesn't get explained either. Are they able to copy people's memories (Char) and encode it into binary and then upload that to someone's one brain later (Full Frontal) in it's original form? Because Full Frontal was materializing his thoughts when he showed Banagher Solomon, A Baoa Qu and Axis and even what he felt the end of time would be like, right? This is some powerful technology that doesn't get much screen time or I just slept through it all.

What terminal illness? If she has one, it's never mentioned throughout the whole series. It's been a while since I saw it, though.

And I think they both have wedding rings in the ending. Loran AND Diana. EDIT: n/m, they don't, just rewatched the ending. Now I don't know what to think. When was the terminal illness thing mentioned?

duckroll

Guys, would the Unicorn ending be better or worse if it ended with Full Frontal being confronted by Audrey in a Beargguy-III Custom berating him for not looking into his heart and seeing the true meaning of being a mecha pilot?

Ken

Guys, would the Unicorn ending be better or worse if it ended with Full Frontal being confronted by Audrey in a Beargguy-III Custom berating him for not looking into his heart and seeing the true meaning of being a mecha pilot?

and give up my unicorn karate? no.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
What terminal illness? If she has one, it's never mentioned throughout the whole series. It's been a while since I saw it, though.

And I think they both have wedding rings in the ending. Loran AND Diana. EDIT: n/m, they don't, just rewatched the ending. Now I don't know what to think. When was the terminal illness thing mentioned?

It's not

but it's implied with her using a walking stick towards the end of the series

Blader

Well,
the wiki says that he was implanted with Char's residual thoughts from the Sazabi's psychoframe and sort of thought like Char. If that's true, then why was Char's spirit just waiting around with Lalah and Amuro? I'm pretty sure neither died with regrets in CCA. I don't know how many liberties the took with the books in the anime, but some retcons seem puzzling. I could see him being possessed though, but that seems like going a little far with things in the UC universe. I mean people seeing people's souls before they passed and connecting with people via Newtype abilities was definitely a neat part of the universe. I think they channeled Tomino a lot. Trying to compete with Ideon ending, I guess.

Full Frontal is possessed by a piece of Char's mind/soul. He rejoins with the rest of Char at the end.

Here's the author's explanation:

"When Char turns up at the end, he’s coming to reclaim something he lost. Frontal was created to resemble Char, but although his soul was supposed to be empty, something was dwelling there. That might have been that person’s ego, or it might have been the grudge that Char was holding. In the last scene of “Char’s Counterattack”, when Char’s soul is dispersed, it’s not strange to think that part of him consented to die peacefully, but another part might have been unable to consent to dying and remained in the world as a kind of grudge. Then, after having his grudge appeased by Banagher, and after reclaiming that part of himself, he was asked by Amuro “Are you sure?”, and he was finally able to move on to the next life. The novel was still partly showing restraint, but the movie project went this far, and they even got Shuichi Ikeda to perform the voice, so I think it was right to go this far."

RangerBAD

No, it would have been better if Bright had brought out the God Hand.

Full Frontal is possessed by a piece of Char's mind/soul. He rejoins with the rest of Char at the end.

Here's the author's explanation:

"When Char turns up at the end, he’s coming to reclaim something he lost. Frontal was created to resemble Char, but although his soul was supposed to be empty, something was dwelling there. That might have been that person’s ego, or it might have been the grudge that Char was holding. In the last scene of “Char’s Counterattack”, when Char’s soul is dispersed, it’s not strange to think that part of him consented to die peacefully, but another part might have been unable to consent to dying and remained in the world as a kind of grudge. Then, after having his grudge appeased by Banagher, and after reclaiming that part of himself, he was asked by Amuro “Are you sure?”, and he was finally able to move on to the next life. The novel was still partly showing restraint, but the movie project went this far, and they even got Shuichi Ikeda to perform the voice, so I think it was right to go this far."

I feel Char and Amuro
died without regrets. It's weird to think a small part of himself would have the power to stay behind. CCA even made it feel like maybe they didn't die. Tomino left that open because their story was over and they wouldn't be appearing again, at least in his mind. So it really doesn't matter what happened. All that mattered was the resolution between they two and to show the positive potential of the evolved human -- the Newtype. I feel the author uses flimsy reasoning to explain it since he probably didn't think to fill it out. And by next life I assume he means afterlife. Why was Amuro still hanging around? Ghosts usually have regrets. I want to think that it's residual feeling and stuff. I don't know. It's confusing still.

It's been kind of implied throughout the show that long term cryogenic sleep is not good for you. Although mainly its because you might never wake up from it.

CorvoSol

When isn't a show improved by Bearguy III?

frye

Which subs did you watch?

Enron

Banned
Guys, would the Unicorn ending be better or worse if it ended with Full Frontal being confronted by Audrey in a Beargguy-III Custom Costume berating him for not looking into his heart and seeing the true meaning of being a mecha pilot?

I just made your good idea amazing. Audrey <3 <3

Ezalc

That would be awful.

Blader

I feel Char and Amuro
died without regrets. It's weird to think a small part of himself would have the power to stay behind. CCA even made it feel like maybe they didn't die. Tomino left that open because their story was over and they wouldn't be appearing again, at least in his mind. So it really doesn't matter what happened. All that mattered was the resolution between they two and to show the positive potential of the evolved human -- the Newtype. I feel the author uses flimsy reasoning to explain it since he probably didn't think to fill it out. And by next life I assume he means afterlife. Why was Amuro still hanging around? Ghosts usually have regrets. I want to think that it's residual feeling and stuff. I don't know. It's confusing still.

Hmm, I never got that impression myself, *especially* for Char.
He died still cursing Amuro for killing Lalah, plus his whole plan for freezing the Earth and pushing humanity to space had failed. Maybe Amuro didn't have any regrets but he also didn't seem like he was at peace at the end of CCA either. Neither of them really resolved anything with each other; they were still arguing about newtypes, how to get humanity from point A to B, and their own personal failures.

In any event, the idea is that by Unicorn, Amuro and Char have made peace with each other and have effectively trascendended -- with Lalah -- into some higher newtype plane. That's why they're collectively credited as "Voice" rather than three separate characters. It's not a matter of hanging around because they're still clinging to the earth for whatever reason; they're spiritually and literally above it all now. The part of Char that's in Full Frontal is the piece of him that hadn't given up on his war yet.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Do you just guys put your models together before you take them apart to paint them, or do you paint them out of the box after you cut/sandpaper/etc. the parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom