• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

I loved that in the end there we heard
Lalah and Amuro. It's kind of weird to me though. Why would they give a shit about a Char clone?

Amuro and Lalah have "moved on" with Char; they're all hanging out in newtype heaven or whatever. Char is basically calling Frontal to return home, and Amuro and Lalah are there because they hang with Char now.

It's a nice scene that sounded extremely dumb writing out like that :lol

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Why did some Gundam Meisters in 00 have code names and others just, apparently, use their real names?

just watched episode 7. Oh man I was laughing at how ridiculous banagher got. So he's super overpowered now right? Seems like no one can touch him

Ken

Seems like no one can touch him

ibvNwp9FrdkjVP.jpg

uguu

I dont think bananers did anything too ridiculous other than
tanking that colony laser
. Everything else was about the same level as other uc protagonists.

yami4ct

I'm probably the worst gunpla builder of all time.

Nah, man. All Gundam model builders have horror stories, especially from starting out. I cannot tell you how many times I sliced a polycap in half, carved off a big chunk of an armor piece by mistake or other dumb things. I still do it. On my Nu Gundam Ver. Ka, I broke one of the sliding bits of elbow armor off trying to disassemble him for painting. My worst horror story has to be my MG Deathscythe Hell Custom. I was trying out lacquer airbrush paints for the first time, made a painting mistake on his head and tried to strip it off. Little did I realize, lacquer thinner literally melts plastic. In a matter of seconds, my Deathscythe's head was a pile of mush. Still haven't ordered the parts to fix it.

So yeah, accidentally cutting off a small tab or breaking off the leg on the notoriously fragile RG line isn't too surprising. Honestly, I feel terrified building RG's myself even though I've been building models for years. Those tiny parts are scary-thin inner frames.

CorvoSol

Other than Jamitov, Four Vaginas, and perhaps Paptimus Scirocco, UC names aren't that terrible

Oh, I dunno. I get that there is a reason behind "Four Murasame" but "Elpeo Puru" is already sorta goofy and then "Puru Two" is even goofier.

Plus, a dude's name is Seabook. I mean, I like Seabook, but his name is still Seabook.

I'll give you Elpeo Ple. But Ple 2 isn't bad considering she's a clone being used as a weapon.

If you were using a weaponized person, would you give them an individual name?

Wait, did you say Paptimus Scirocco's name is terrible? I don't understand. That's one of the most badass, badass gundam villain names there is.

I like it, but I could see how some people wouldn't. I think it's exotic enough that it makes him intimidating personally. But then you'll have Corvo come in here and say something like "lol Poptarts Sriracha is stupid", so it's probably in the eyes of the beholder

CorvoSol

Wait, did you say Paptimus Scirocco's name is terrible? I don't understand. That's one of the most badass, badass gundam villain names there is.

Yeah, Poptarts Sriracha intimidates me, what with the rubber band he's using to hold up his hair in defiance of gravity and all that.

EDIT: DAMN YOU MEGA, GET OUTTA MY BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIN

Unicorn Ep 7

Everything was amazing, the battles omg and the
crazy Newtype trip
at end. Will rewatch.

Ok not everything was. First
Marida dies ;_________;

About Full Frontal
could have been more developed but I think the lack of it emphasize how he just a husk.

About the Laplace Box
I groaned at first when it was revealed. But when they explained why it had so much power, everything made sense.

At the end
I would have loved to see some sort of epilogue just to show what everyone was doing after it. Also, I am disappointed captain Bright didnt slapped the president.

Andrew J.

Gah, I have to watch Double Zeta and then rewatch Char's Counterattack (saw it years ago when it aired on Toonami, barely remember any of it) so I can get started on Unicorn.

yami4ct

Gah, I have to watch Double Zeta and then rewatch Char's Counterattack (saw it years ago when it aired on Toonami, barely remember any of it) so I can get started on Unicorn.

Oh man, half a bad show and a bad movie. You don't have to do that. You really don't. Unicorn is pretty damn standalone as it is. Anything you'd get from rewatching ZZ and CCA would be minor references, at best.

I cant be the only one on gundamgaf that enjoyed cca, can I? It has problems and could have had some inprovements. But the stuff in there was great. I LOVE the ending so much. Ive always enjoyed newtype space magic though, which is why I enjoyed the ending of unicorn so much

yami4ct

I cant be the only one on gundamgaf that enjoyed cca, can I? It has problems and could have had some inprovements. But the stuff in there was great. I LOVE the ending so much. Ive always enjoyed newtype space magic though, which is why I enjoyed the ending of unicorn so much

It has amazing mecha animation, but the story is such hot garbage. It's not even the Newtype space magic thing that's the major problem. At least 1/3 of the movie is focused on two terrible characters you could not care less about. Also, how they so abruptly change Char's character from where he was at the end of Zeta is pretty unforgivable. Totally destroys any really nice closure the movie could have had for the Amuro/Char rivalry.

Worth a watch for the mech action, but as a story it couldn't be more frustrating.

CorvoSol

You think that's bad? I have half of Zeta, all of ZZ, and then CCA before I'm back to Unicorn. Episodes 27Z-27ZZ are going to be the dark times.

It has amazing mecha animation, but the story is such hot garbage. It's not even the Newtype space magic thing that's the major problem. At least 1/3 of the movie is focused on two terrible characters you could not care less about. Also, how they so abruptly change Char's character from where he was at the end of Zeta is pretty unforgivable. Totally destroys any really nice closure the movie could have had for the Amuro/Char rivalry.

Worth a watch for the mech action, but as a story it couldn't be more frustrating.

Thank you. Sums up how I feel very well.

Ezalc

I'm in total agreement.

00 also has awful names all around.

Neil Dylandy, only good character also has basically the only good name.

Also, I like Seabook Arno for some reason. Though I liked the Kinkaido alias better. Schwarz Bruder will always be the best though, shoutout to anybody that knows German and understands the pun.

Ken

I liked it. I don't remember much of it though.

BFA

I enjoyed it as well. I just wish the movie covered the early parts of Hi-Streamer too, instead of jumping straight into the second half of the novels.

BFA

Nothing too exciting. Just the early days of Londo Bell, what Amuro/Bright were doing then, how the second Neo Zeon uprising started, etc. I just think it would be better than taking us straight into the action.

Tookay

I like it quite a bit. I like the philosophy at play between Char and Amuro, along with the greater conflict it portrayed. The fights were pretty sweet and I appreciated the stakes. Even resolving it ambiguously with Newtype magic worked, because in a way, they both finally understand each other in those final moments.

While Quess is an annoying character, I appreciate the admittedly muddled point of her arc: she's basically a microcosm of the fight between Newtypes, particularly Amuro and Char. She summarizes the overwhelming potential that comes with this supposed next stage of evolution, as well as its unhinged costs.

Plus, while I know some gaffers complain about how Char is completely different than his appearance in Zeta, that didn't bother me too much. I accepted that he could change and embrace his father's legacy (in a twisted way), especially after all the shit that went down in Zeta, which would make anybody disillusioned with the state of the world.

I guess I have no problem with it starting in media res either. I don't need to know everything that happened with some ponderous opening; the movie does a good enough job filling you in along the way.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Char being possessed by the ghost of Hitler is the biggest reason I did not enjoy CCA at all. It is drastic and unwarranted, even in the context of his existing motivations.

It's like.. what? Feels like it shouldn't be canon and whenever the events are referenced in subsequent UC events, it always seems like they are talking about two different Chars.

Ken

Rewatched UC7. The ending
turns Riddhe into a character out of a BL/yaoi manga.

Might pick up OST4 since the tracklist of Disc 2 is pretty much all the good tracks from OST1-3, making it the perfect OST to have in the car.

Blader

I really enjoy it myself now, but I remember disliking it a lot when I first saw it. I do think Char's personality change makes sense, but it's still an abrupt turn, especially if you're just coming off Zeta. I was also annoyed with the shitty Hathaway/Quess subplot, which I've learned to just tune out now. :lol

I like the movie a lot more now that I can manage my expectations and focus on the parts of the story that are actually interesting rather than the ones that are grating. I feel like I'd have a similar opinion of Zeta if/when I ever rewatch that.

Aizo

Banned

I don't really like CCA too much, but I haven't seen it in 5 years, soooo
I'll rewatch it when I finish Zeta and ZZ.

Has this ever been posted here? I don't have an argument one way or the other, but I just think this is interesting.
amurocharsacrificefxaru.jpg

Blader

^heh, I've always liked that mockup, even if it may not have been Tomino's intention all along.

I also like Unicorn's implication that
Char came back to laugh at himself.
:lol

Aizo

Banned
Gundam Unicorn - 7
Watched this yesterday. There were parts that I didn't understand too well... Jubern, teach me Scifi/Gundam Japanese vocab, please!

I enjoyed this a lot, but kinda wondered how everyone reacted to the
magical laser blocking shields

Not as bad as the
magical asteroid repelling letter T in CCA(which I actually enjoy)

I've never been bothered by Newtype hax. The psychoframes give it a pass. I find Zeta Gundam's Red super mode far more problematic, and even then I don't give a shit about that.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
The mix of supernatural and metaphysical elements with science fiction is probably the most appealing quality of UC Gundam to me

I love all that shit. and I'm pretty pleased to hear that Unicorn contains more of that stuff than the original novels

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I think psychoframe stuff is a very good mix between some more fantasy elements and sci-fi elements, and newtypes are a cool way to distinguish people who are powerful from those who aren't, but I really don't like when space tie dye conclusions end up replacing or marginalizing the mobile suit battles themselves
like in UC7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom