• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door Remake | Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member

fdd5d8ca46d7ea4e45397ae560e807742de2d7d744570297ddbabf69d6d23f33

Game Information​

Game Title: Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

Platforms:

• Nintendo Switch (May 23, 2024)
Trailers:

Developer: Intelligent Systems

Publisher: Nintendo

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 87/100 %

VuKncn1.png

MetaCritic - 91/100 - Must Play

5dSUB8O.png

Critic Reviews​

COGconnected - James Paley - 90 / 100

Quote not yet available

Checkpoint Gaming - Edie W-K - 9.5 / 10

Nostalgia goggles haven't failed us: Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door is still a masterpiece. With vastly improved graphics, a great rearranged soundtrack, and a few tasteful gameplay touchups, Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door for Nintendo Switch is now the best version of this fan-favourite classic. The only thing missing is extra content for those who have already played it, but for everyone else, there's no reason not to pick this one up.

ComicBook.com - Marc Deschamps - 4.5 / 5

All in all, Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door is an easy recommendation. For those that never got a chance to play the original game, there's no better time than the present, and the Nintendo Switch version is easily the best way to play it.

Console Creatures - Bobby Pashalidis - Recommended

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door is a masterpiece that continues to enchant nearly two decades after its initial release.

Daily Mirror - Scott McCrae - 4 / 5

Quote not yet available

Digitec Magazine - Domagoj Belancic - German - 4 / 5

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door is a classic Mario role-playing game that every fan of the chubby plumber should play. If you've already played the original, it's worth taking another trip into this paper world thanks to the completely revamped graphics and soundtrack.
The simplified role-playing mechanics and the interactivity of the turn-based battles make the game accessible even to beginners and players who don't usually like RPGs. The numerous environments impress with their quirky humor, excellently written characters and a beautiful paper look. What I didn't like were the annoying backtracking passages and some tedious mechanics. They unnecessarily slow down the pace as the game progresses.

Enternity.gr - Nikitas Kavouklis - Greek - 10 / 10

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door is a magical combination of parameters that make this title must have!

Glitched Africa - Marco Cocomello - 9 / 10

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door Remake is wonderfully crafted for modern hardware while still capturing the magic and love of the original 20-year-old game. There’s a reason this is a cult classic and now everyone can enjoy it.

Nintendo Life - Alana Hagues - 9 / 10

For 20 years, Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door has been held as the best Mario RPG of all time, and the Switch remake proves it has earned that title. This is a fantastic RPG adventure, whether you're a Mario fan or not, with some best-in-class combat, brilliant writing, and a few little creases ironed out to make this the definitive way to play Thousand-Year Door. We wish there was a little more to do post-credits, but there's no doubt about it, this is a beautiful-looking Switch remake and a must-play RPG.

SECTOR.sk - Michal Korec - Slovak - 8.5 / 10

It is not a full-blown remake with overhauled graphics or new episodes. But deep within lies truly one of the best parts of the series to be enjoyed even 20 years later with excellent gameplay, sharp-wit writing and funny dialogues for long evenings or short bursts.

Saudi Gamer - Arabic - 9 / 10

Behind its vibrant and cheerful appearance hides a great battle system and a memorable cast of characters and events in a world brimming with content. Just be aware that some patience is required to enjoy the ride fully.

Stevivor - Ben Salter - 9 / 10

The Thousand-Year Door remake is a triumphant return for Paper Mario. It turns back to an earlier chapter in the series that knows exactly what it’s trying to achieve and does it masterfully.

TheSixthAxis - Stefan L - 9 / 10

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door is a wonderful remake of a GameCube classic. Now in a modern game engine, but with all the quirkiness and charm of the original story and characters, and with a return to the original Paper Mario combat style, it's great for Mario RPG fans and newcomers alike.

VGC - Andy Robinson - 5 / 5

Alongside last year’s excellent Super Mario RPG remake, The Thousand-Year Door is one of the very best Mario spin-offs on Nintendo Switch, whether you’re an old fan or discovering it for the first time.

Last edited:

Hudo

PCGames - Annika Menzel - 9/10 (German):
Wenn ihr Mario vor zwanzig Jahren bereits bei der Suche nach den Sternjuwelen begleitet habt, könnt ihr nun in Nostalgie schwelgen und ihm auch im Handheld-Modus bei seiner Aufgabe zur Seite stehen. Alle anderen erwartet ein tolles Remake eines wahren Klassikers, mit dem sie eines der besten Mario-RPGs aller Zeiten nachholen dürfen.

If you accompanied Mario on his quest for the star jewels twenty years ago, you can now indulge in nostalgia and join him on his quest in handheld mode. Everyone else can expect a great remake of a true classic, allowing them to catch up on one of the best Mario RPGs of all time.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I’m not trying to be a wet blanket, but I’m disappointed the game runs at 30, while the original ran at 60. I know, I know, it doesn’t REALLY matter for this type of game. But still.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I’m not trying to be a wet blanket, but I’m disappointed the game runs at 30, while the original ran at 60. I know, I know, it doesn’t REALLY matter for this type of game. But still.
Never understood that cope, I'd say framerate matters for all kinds of games.

For some more than for others, sure, but it's always noticeable.

Honestly I don't care about this remake since both my GameCube and Wii still work, but I'm glad those that missed it there are able to play it on their Switch. It sure is one of the best Mario RPGs.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Never understood that cope, I'd say framerate matters for all kinds of games.

For some more than for others, sure, but it's always noticeable.

Honestly I don't care about this remake since both my GameCube and Wii still work, but I'm glad those that missed it there are able to play it on their Switch. It sure is one of the best Mario RPGs.
Yeah. I actually have the original game but have never played it. I decided to wait for the Switch remake. But now I think I might just play it on the good ol’ Cube.

Once I have the time, that is… 😩

Astral Dog

Thats an odd take, i know many people who think otherwise, personally i liked Skyward Sword too.
Skyward Sword is an odd game,personally i was a little dissapointed with how 'safe' Twilight Princess ended up, then Nintendo released Skyward Sword wich looked like an odd mix of WW and TP with motion controls

personally i think its underrated, great main town, puzzles,charming characters,art,music,dungeons(the dungeons themselves are not that big of a deal with an exception,but the entire overworld is full of puzzles)the plot at least tries to mix things up with an origin story and brought back the focus on Link and princess Zelda that was lost in the previous game

But its those motion controls that are the bane of Skyward Sword 😆 i can't get them to work like i want half the time but i never used the other options to not dumb down the game,it was designed for the Wii after all that and some annoying filler but still SS is a way more interesting game to me than TotK

gamer82

i never played the orignial game, but im now playing links awakening for the first time so if i manage to finish it then this will be the next purchase. i have a habbit of buying stuff and not geting to it so it can wait as long as the physical versions dont dry up am not into paying crazy money for games these days.

Last edited:

amigastar

Skyward Sword is an odd game,personally i was a little dissapointed with how 'safe' Twilight Princess ended up, then Nintendo released Skyward Sword wich looked like an odd mix of WW and TP with motion controls

personally i think its underrated, great main town, puzzles,charming characters,art,music,dungeons(the dungeons themselves are not that big of a deal with an exception,but the entire overworld is full of puzzles)the plot at least tries to mix things up with an origin story and brought back the focus on Link and princess Zelda that was lost in the previous game

But its those motion controls that are the bane of Skyward Sword 😆 i can't get them to work like i want half the time but i never used the other options to not dumb down the game,it was designed for the Wii after all that and some annoying filler but still SS is a way more interesting game to me than TotK
Same, Totk, i can`t get into it, maybe i should try again idk. SS is underrated for sure.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
IGN are a bunch of fucking idiots......their review talks all about how great this remake is and how many things it does better than the original game and they rated this one a 9, and the original was a 9.1 Fucking morons :messenger_grinning_smiling: :messenger_grinning_smiling: :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Oh, and Vivian is Trans now.....even Nintendo can't help themselves.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

IGN are a bunch of fucking idiots......their review talks all about how great this remake is and how many things it does better than the original game and they rated this one a 9, and the original was a 9.1 Fucking morons :messenger_grinning_smiling: :messenger_grinning_smiling: :messenger_grinning_smiling:

You knew it was going to happen, localization is gonna pander to the current percieved popular political trend thanks to media being left leaning and left now meaning superleft. Brownie points are everything in US culture atm.

I still hope this game sells like hotcakes.

Last edited:

wvnative

I'm gonna ignore this, my understanding is it's just the localization team choosing to make it explicit.

What was the dialogue in Japanese?

Astral Dog

Good on people finally calling this shit out, but im not surprised NOA's localization team are at fault, at least its just minor characters for now
That's basically it. It was always the case with her. Grummz is just being an overreaching, overreacting douchebag as always.
All he says in that post is true

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

So trans people are being represented... by a ghost, and one that gets bullied about it. :goog_relieved:

Top Bottom