• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Character in Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door will be trans, fake Nintendo developer confirms

Status
Not open for further replies.
so, transexual, or transvestite (a man who enjoys playing at being a woman rather than actually believing he genuinely is one)?...

&, while we're on the subject, where have all the transvestites gone? because they seem to all be referred to as transexuals, now...

"We"

The fucking hubris.
not sure nintendo would particularly appreciate that type of 'comment' from an employee. he just might've lost his job...

Last edited:

Lillie

that employee is risking it all speaking in such a foul manner - people get sacked for less

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa
💯 this is fake.

Also, the idea that a low-level, recently hired Environmental Engineer at NoA would have this kind of influence is completely laughable. Even Nate Bihldorff or Bill Trinen wouldn’t be able to squeak something like this by without approval from NCL. Come on.

Some of y’all will believe anything, I swear 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
💯 this is fake.

Also, the idea that a low-level, recently hired Environmental Engineer at NoA would have this kind of influence is completely laughable.

Some of y’all will believe anything, I swear 🤦‍♂️

You must be living under a rock. Plenty of people with low level jobs think they run the company and speak for the rest of it. This has been the norm for social media use for the past decade.

Welp, if they were trans in the original Japanese version (I wouldn't know; haven't played it yet), and this is just a way of bringing the US release to same speed, I guess that's fine.
My hesitation is that this isn't being announced as "we made the game more true to the original vision", it's all about "queer fortitude and representation".

I see they also stuck with the bunny ear "censorship". So, yeah, this is not about making the game more accurate.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
You must be living under a rock. Plenty of people with low level jobs think they run the company and speak for the rest of it. This has been the norm for social media use for the past decade.

Fish tales are as old as man. My first thought reading that post was that I wish I could have been a fly on the wall during that meeting to witness the INSISTING.

Metnut

NeoGaf has been pushing for faithful translations really hard here recently. Surprised to see the reactions here aren’t overwhelmingly positive.

Hopefully Mother 3 is finally ready to come over now.

Last edited:

Quasicat

Imagine doing this but just being normal about it? why is it always accompanied by this type of people (dev from the source):

438101467_18424564645014125_8752775447749012461_n.jpg

"We made 12B last year" - talk about entitlement. You didn't make anything, it was Nintendo's output of good games and not your forced political thought (if anything, there might be analysis done on how this negatively affects the company in the long run)
I don’t care about the political stuff at all, but to tell someone to “Fuck off” on social media. I know colleagues of mine being fired for less than that.

She was supposed to for what I know, even if I've seen some discussions over the years about her being actually a femboy, and not a trans woman.
It really makes you think when a Japan-only first-party Sony game had this joke in 2001.
ONETRfu.jpeg

That def looks like John K. artwork. He did art for a Sony 1P game? Think I vaguely remember hearing of it, but it was Japan-only.

I'd sure like to know more about that game 🤣

MarkMe2525

Don't care either way, it's a video game character. I just got to around the halfway point a few weeks ago, on the GameCube version. It's my first real attempt at running through a Paper Mario game and I'm having fun with it

nial

Gold Member
That def looks like John K. artwork. He did art for a Sony 1P game? Think I vaguely remember hearing of it, but it was Japan-only.

I'd sure like to know more about that game 🤣
Yoake no Mariko, it also had a sequel that was released like a month later.
Space Fishermen is another SIE and John K. collab, and much cooler as well (though with worse 2D artwork).

Last edited:
Well I found easily the most bullshit line of the whole article

"I INSISTED that we keep her identity accurate this time. Not everyone was on board. MOST people weren’t on board."

Lol, the whole translation staff was probably falling over themselves to make sure it stayed in the game this time.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Not really a big deal especially if that was the case of the original Japanese version.

I know Japanese characters like the genderbend quite a bit.

Even more niche games like Guilty Gear have trans and non-binary (or x-gender as I think the Japanese call it) characters.

Last edited:
What the guy doesn't mention though is that her whole 'being a boy' thing was played for laughs, and the game fully treated the character as a male.

Now watch the usual pink-haired twitters get mad over this.
That's typically how it is in Japanese media but the westerners lose their minds when they find this out and of course localization is changed to be more mindful of American left wing politics and I say left wing because they certainly aren't right wing.

Reactions: Isa
I haven't seen an instance where advertising a character as trans, gay, bi, etc has led to more sales. I could very well be wrong but from a business perspective, it's pretty stupid. Very few people will buy a game because a character has a sexual orientation they support but conversely, many will not buy the game for that particular reason lol. It seems like an unnecessary own goal from a business perspective. Like I said, I could be wrong.

Bridges

Never happening, trans portrayal wasn't in a positive light in that game.
Plus, it was a mega flop that no one remembers, lol.
I know you're right but I hate that! Skip Ltd will just forever be lost to time I guess. They wouldn't even put Chibi-Robo in Smash smh

Saber

Gold Member
but, again, appeared the character was trans
in the original Japanese version, and there was a specific reason for them being bullied. People can't complain about censorship of Asian games and then get mad at this IMHO because it's just the US version being more accurate to the original.

I wouldn't, knowing its Nintendo and they tend to give a middle finger to these west crap and just want to create good games.
But the guy there and his "winning"? Nah, that sounds totally like he is for some political shit and brownies.
I totally support the move, but that guy is just urk. The character would be bullied regardless, thats what bullies do. Be very mean and find anything to use as an insult.
Pretty sure he is the type of guy who would scream his lungs out at people like "TAKE THAT HOMOPHOBICS!" when people might just wanted for the sake of accuracy.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Not really a big deal especially if that was the case of the original Japanese version.

I know Japanese characters like the genderbend quite a bit.

Even more niche games like Guilty Gear have trans and non-binary (or x-gender as I think the Japanese call it) characters.

There was never any actual trans characters in Guilty Gear until they butchered Bridget’s character by promoting him as a groomed trans character.

The only ones that really seem to *enjoy* that character change have been the mentally deranged in the west. It was widely despised in Japan.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
There was never any actual trans characters in Guilty Gear until they butchered Bridget’s character by promoting him as a groomed trans character.

The only ones that really seem to *enjoy* that character change have been the mentally deranged in the west. It was widely despised in Japan.
I didn't know that. I remember hearing Testament was considered ex-gender as they call it in Japanese. So apparently they had no problem with them non-binary character. I don't know.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I didn't know that. I remember hearing Testament was considered ex-gender as they call it in Japanese. So apparently they had no problem with them non-binary character. I don't know.

Not the same as trans. Bridget was always a dude that was forced to dress as a girl by his parents because of a superstitious “curse” in their village. The entire point of his character and his arc was to become a well known Bounty Hunter to prove everyone wrong.

But in Strive they decided to say “Nah, the parents were right to groom their child into being a girl!”. It‘s disgusting. If they want a trans character? Fine! Make a new character. Don’t make the literal worst choice you could make.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I mean, if the character was trans in the original, that should be the case here, too. Censorship works both ways. What people don't want is to see it turned into some sort of grandstanding bullshit about LGBT pride or something if that wasn't the original context. Someone making such an impassioned statement about the character on social media suggests to me that they don't understand the difference.

Last edited:

chlorate

I was furious when they censored Tub-O-Troopa and Fautso in the SMRPG remake and it would be equally dumb to censor Vivian.

It’s probably not censorship but changing Yaridovich to Speardovich was also an idiotic change.

Robb

Gold Member
Fine I guess. I don’t really understand the need to assign roles to everything. Design the character as you want and let the player make the interpretation.

This feels like drawing a face on a piece of rock and then stating that it’s trans.

Last edited:

Eotheod

Vivian wasn’t trans in the original though, Vivian was a crossdresser.
Nintendo of America localizers are going to be insufferable about this.
It seems others disagree, stating they were trans in the original JP release.
Fine I guess. I don’t really understand the need to assign roles to everything. Design the character as you want and let the player make the interpretation.

This feels like drawing a face on a piece rock and then stating that it’s trans.
I mean, technically rocks can be trans because they transition into different structures, element makeup, mass etc.

Last edited:
What the guy doesn't mention though is that her whole 'being a boy' thing was played for laughs, and the game fully treated the character as a male.

Now watch the usual pink-haired twitters get mad over this.
This is what I was thinking. It's true that in Japan it is way more accepted in mainstream culture and is not politicized (yet). The flip side of this is that laughing about it is permissible.

keefged4

I'm not buying it. Not because of this issue, but because any goodwill that I used to have for Nintendo has depleted completely at this point

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I'll never understand the need to define a videogame character sexual traits, specially in a Nintendo game that's mostly aimed at children.

What I do seem to get is that some people need representation in videogames to feel validated or whatever, which to me sounds like insecurity and probably some kind of other mental issue.

stickkidsam

If that’s how the original release was, then by all means be accurate.

Be accurate to how it was portrayed within the context of that game as well though. To my understanding, Japanese depictions of cross dressers and trans people has generally been more of a gag or light hearted. Perhaps it’s not the case here. The issue to my mind is activists picking this up and misrepresenting it as more than it was.

cireza

Definitely a huge win for parents who will have to explain the situation to their 6 years old kid. Well done Nintendo !

This reminds me when I had to explain what was happening in Unpacking Rated E for Everyone to my kids.

"Oh well the guy was an asshole so the girl decided to become gay. Got this kids ?"

Actually I didn't explain anything and uninstalled the game.

Last edited:

tommib

Wow, the character was trans twenty years ago in Japan and some of Europe? Are they more open minded about that type of stuff in Japan? Had no idea.
Trans and cross dressing used to be the coolest shit back in the 80s and 90s. Almodovar, Cobain, Marilyn Manson… Think of all the glam groups. Bowie. Placebo.

It’s just that the new left has completely highjacked trans culture to gain votes and fuel division. It’s a sad state of affairs.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Didn't they do the same thing for Bridget in Guilty Gear? He was a Cross Dresser in the previous games but they made her a trans woman in Guilty Gear Strive.

Is this a thing that Japanese Developers are latching on to now? If so I wonder if Capcom is going to finalize the gender issue with Poison in Street Fighter.

Holammer

Trans and cross dressing used to be the coolest shit back in the 80s and 90s. Almodovar, Cobain, Marilyn Manson… Think of all the glam groups. Bowie. Placebo.

It’s just that the new left has completely highjacked trans culture to gain votes and fuel division. It’s a sad state of affairs.
I remember when Boy George used to be the shit. The Media Literate people on Twitter today would have called him trans back in the 80's, but no. He was just a gay man looking fabulous.

MiguelItUp

It sounds like they're actually approaching the character with correct and accurate translation now instead of censoring it like they did previously. Which is normally what people want, but not this time apparently. :pie_roffles:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom