• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door Remake | Review Thread

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Not surprised to see little to no mention of the issues in this release, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Modern journos put no effort into this job.

Anyway, great game but this version is a pass for me. Might end up just replaying the GC version since it's been a solid decade or so.

Astray

So for someone looking to try Mario RPGs for the 1st time, should I go for this or the Super Mario RPG remake?

Probably gonna be playing on Switch in portable mode.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Good on people finally calling this shit out, but im not surprised NOA's localization team are at fault, at least its just minor characters for now

All he says in that post is true

I dunno, for whatever reason I really dont give a shit with this one as Ive figured she was trans ever since playing back in 2004.

It's not like she's explaining and charging Mario 30 gold coins to check out her post op work.

Zathalus

Not surprised to see little to no mention of the issues in this release, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Modern journos put no effort into this job.

Anyway, great game but this version is a pass for me. Might end up just replaying the GC version since it's been a solid decade or so.
What issues? I heard the FPS was halved to 30, is there anything else?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
What issues? I heard the FPS was halved to 30, is there anything else?

Basically that. There's some question marks around how good the new localization is... really, I don't know enough about the changes to have a strong opinion one way or the other, but it doesn't sound like it's better than what they had in 2004. And that's really it - I feel like it's a step back from what we had 20 years ago, so I don't want it.

Edit: Oh yeah, from what I've read, they've also decreased the difficulty and some stuff doesn't do as much damage as it used to. I view that as a negative - it basically reduced Super Mario RPG's remake to a more interactive visual novel. I don't like Nintendo's trend of dumbing down difficulty to the point where engaging with the gameplay feels performative.

Last edited:

proandrad

You see nothing wrong with the fact that they said this remake improves many things from the original yet still rated it lower than their 20yr old Gamecube review? That's neither pro or rad.
Yes, because the same person didn’t score the GameCube version. Maybe this person thought the GC version was an 8.5.

Last edited:
IGN 9/10

Baby Babies GIF

Logan Plant has excellent taste as well, he is a really fair reviewer. Reading his review pretty much nailed what I expect from this remake, as someone who played the OG back in 2004. It's one of my favorite games of all time.

Nice, I never played this during the GameCube era so for me it will be a brand new game

Have you played the original Paper Mario? That one may be more memorable in some respects, but TTYD is a much better game. Bigger and better, it's a perfect sequel.

Looked at the review thread for this on that other site and of course no one is talking about the actual game.

Those who have played it already know what to expect. Those who haven't, haven't. You're posting midday on GAF which is preoccupied with Hellblade 2 shitposting. What is so surprising?

I for one am stoked. It's been more than a few years since my last playthrough, this is coming at the right time. Considering how large the Switch userbase is, I am really hopeful that this game will find success. Nintendo needs to know how much people love traditional Paper Mario games, and not the stuff they've been pushing since Super Paper Mario.

At first this was a no brainer till I learned a used copy of the original goes for not too much more money, I thought it was one of those GameCube games that was like 200$.

GameCube games are very nostalgic looking to me, whether it's dated or not it's a very specific look I specifically like.

How/Why this is important to Paper Mario players, I will never understand. It *wasn’t in the 2004 English version*. None of us could have possibly known or cared about this extremely obscure regional localization difference from twenty years ago back then.

The version we played on GameCube back in 2004 is canon for us. Most people who have ever played this game played the NA version. Most of this game’s sales were from NA.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I dunno, for whatever reason I really dont give a shit with this one as Ive figured she was trans ever since playing back in 2004.

It's not like she's explaining and charging Mario 30 gold coins to check out her post op work.
He isn’t trans. He is a cross dresser.

rkofan87

Gold Member
I’m not trying to be a wet blanket, but I’m disappointed the game runs at 30, while the original ran at 60. I know, I know, it doesn’t REALLY matter for this type of game. But still.
i am right there with you my man i just timing window for the extra button press is not a factor.

Scotty W

Banned
So for someone looking to try Mario RPGs for the 1st time, should I go for this or the Super Mario RPG remake?

Probably gonna be playing on Switch in portable mode.
They are both very different. I personally prefer Mario RPG, but that seems to be a minority position.

rkofan87

Gold Member
How/Why this is important to Paper Mario players, I will never understand. It *wasn’t in the 2004 English version*. None of us could have possibly known or cared about this extremely obscure regional localization difference from twenty years ago back then.
i do not mind this i do mind that they pussified the shit talk between the goombas and goomblia.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Not a he. A she. Shadow sirens are girls. I played it in 2004 and that interpretation from the NA version is canon. Can’t change it now 🤷‍♂️
A he. Original Japanese release has him written as a man who cross dresses. That will forever be the original intent by the artist and the canon, even if they desperately try to hide it by more shitty localization attempts and DEI nonsense.

Last edited:
Basically that. There's some question marks around how good the new localization is... really, I don't know enough about the changes to have a strong opinion one way or the other, but it doesn't sound like it's better than what they had in 2004. And that's really it - I feel like it's a step back from what we had 20 years ago, so I don't want it.

Edit: Oh yeah, from what I've read, they've also decreased the difficulty and some stuff doesn't do as much damage as it used to. I view that as a negative - it basically reduced Super Mario RPG's remake to a more interactive visual novel. I don't like Nintendo's trend of dumbing down difficulty to the point where engaging with the gameplay feels performative.
What source do you have for the decreased difficulty claim? The reviews I've seen didn't mention it, and one even faulted the game for not including more accessibility features for new players.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Original game was 60. We are getting closer to the point where better hardware will lead to worse performing games.
I can hardly believe that fans of the platform are shitting on Switch technical capabilities and Nintendo’s competence or quality focus to justify that the graphics uplift is understandably responsible for cutting the framerate target in half and no reviews calls them up for it… all to bend over backwards trying to make reasons why it is ok for Nintendo to do this… 🤷‍♂️… oh well…

My favourite game of all time. 3 Days of Excess is just RPG perfection to me, fantastic game all around (Of Glitz & Glory and For Pigs the Bell Tolls are absolute gems as well).

Oh, how I envy those of you who're about to play it for the first time. Enjoy!

Excellent taste. Chapter 3 or 4 are my favs for sure, and 6 closely follows. Those are what I remember when thinking about the game. The only chapter I don't love is chapter 2, and even then it's still good - just a little frustrating at times.

Just for people's reference, back in the day Gaf did a games of the generation vote for the PS2/Xbox/GC generation. Unsurprisingly games like Resi 4, Metroid Prime and Snake Eater took the top spots.

But there was a lot of extremely good games in that generation, so it may surprise some people to learn that Thousand Year Door was in the top 20 and was described by many people as a Jrpg masterpiece, including myself. Looking forward to replaying it for the first time in 20 years.

Impressed by how good of a ranking that is, especially the top 5. TTYD definitely deserves to be in the conversation, it was hampered by the Gamecube's small userbase. It deserves a lot more recognition.

Impressed by how good of a ranking that is, especially the top 5. TTYD definitely deserves to be in the conversation, it was hampered by the Gamecube's small userbase. It deserves a lot more recognition.
Right, that top 20 is filled with gold and TTYD scored that high even though it was not known/experienced by many people compared to other games on the list like Halo, WoW or KotoR

Jinzo Prime

Gold Member
Excellent taste. Chapter 3 or 4 are my favs for sure, and 6 closely follows. Those are what I remember when thinking about the game. The only chapter I don't love is chapter 2, and even then it's still good - just a little frustrating at times.

Chapter 3 of TTYD one of my favorite video games levels, ever. It's so simple in concept but so well executed in practice I kept coming back to it years and years later!

Anyone who's never played this is in for an absolute treat. Such a great game! I would love to experience it for the first time again.

cireza

I can hardly believe that fans of the platform are shitting on Switch technical capabilities and Nintendo’s competence or quality focus to justify that the graphics uplift is understandably responsible for cutting the framerate target in half and no reviews calls them up for it… all to bend over backwards trying to make reasons why it is ok for Nintendo to do this… 🤷‍♂️… oh well…
I did see it mentioned in a few reviews, but let's still give 9 out of 10 because Nintendo.

Nintendo have been getting worse at this the entire gen. Clearly they adjusted their quality standards to something lower. We certainly did not have games with slowdowns, framerate issues and blurry resolution before this gen. They were consistent with whatever target they picked.

I would be curious to know if the engine for this game is something like Unreal Engine.

Last edited:

nordique

Logan Plant has excellent taste as well, he is a really fair reviewer. Reading his review pretty much nailed what I expect from this remake, as someone who played the OG back in 2004. It's one of my favorite games of all time.

Have you played the original Paper Mario? That one may be more memorable in some respects, but TTYD is a much better game. Bigger and better, it's a perfect sequel.

Those who have played it already know what to expect. Those who haven't, haven't. You're posting midday on GAF which is preoccupied with Hellblade 2 shitposting. What is so surprising?

I for one am stoked. It's been more than a few years since my last playthrough, this is coming at the right time. Considering how large the Switch userbase is, I am really hopeful that this game will find success. Nintendo needs to know how much people love traditional Paper Mario games, and not the stuff they've been pushing since Super Paper Mario.

You know, i didn’t realize it but I have not played the original either.

In fact I missed out on all the paper Mario games start to finish except Super Paper Mario for the Wii lol.

I am a huge fan of the Mario & Luigi games though, and have been loving Super Mario RPG remake so far (another game I never played previously - but I started gaming during the n64/ps1 era)

Last edited:

I don't think you understand what I was saying. I meant that I looked at the review thread for this on that other site and instead of anyone talking about how good the game actually is all they are talking about and celebrating is the trans character.

Shifty1897

You see nothing wrong with the fact that they said this remake improves many things from the original yet still rated it lower than their 20yr old Gamecube review? That's neither pro or rad.
1. Standards have changed, goalposts have been moved. A game that scored a 9 in 2004 would rarely score the same if it came out today.

2. The person who reviewed this did not review the original 20 years ago. Different people like different things, IGN employs them but they aren't required to change their score just because someone else from IGN who probably no longer works there gave the original game a different score.

Top Bottom