• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEO0MJ

Do you just guys put your models together before you take them apart to paint them, or do you paint them out of the box after you cut/sandpaper/etc. the parts?

That depends on the modeler and the kit itself. Some like to put the kit together to get a good feel of it and make it easier to paint though with some kits that might make things too difficult as taking it apart might be risky or not possible at all.

Of course I've never painted a kit, at least not successfully.

RangerBAD

Hmm, I never got that impression myself, *especially* for Char.
He died still cursing Amuro for killing Lalah, plus his whole plan for freezing the Earth and pushing humanity to space had failed. Maybe Amuro didn't have any regrets but he also didn't seem like he was at peace at the end of CCA either. Neither of them really resolved anything with each other; they were still arguing about newtypes, how to get humanity from point A to B, and their own personal failures.

In any event, the idea is that by Unicorn, Amuro and Char have made peace with each other and have effectively trascendended -- with Lalah -- into some higher newtype plane. That's why they're collectively credited as "Voice" rather than three separate characters. It's not a matter of hanging around because they're still clinging to the earth for whatever reason; they're spiritually and literally above it all now. The part of Char that's in Full Frontal is the piece of him that hadn't given up on his war yet.

So I guess that means they were all peace then and finally could move onto the afterlife? It still seems like a muddled ending and doesn't even feel like what Tomino would have come up with on the worst of trips. lol Hopefully they can let go of those three in the series and stop dragging up ghosts. It still just fits poorly into existing canon. Not necessarily the Amuro/Char/Lalah thing but the Laplace Box retcon still kind of hurts it. Would be funny if Tomino ignored it or did some other retcon to replace it. Not sure they're saying there's another plane and all that, but the whole thing is starting to feel not complete in faith to the spirit of Gundam. It's never been like this really.

Jaeger

Do you just guys put your models together before you take them apart to paint them, or do you paint them out of the box after you cut/sandpaper/etc. the parts?

I'm practicing on cheaper kits, but I plan on doing a bit of both. Judging from earlier on what buts are parts can be painted together, or need to be altered prior to assembly.

Blader

So I guess that means they were all peace then and finally could move onto the afterlife? It still seems like a muddled ending and doesn't even feel like what Tomino would have come up with on the worst of trips. lol Hopefully they can let go of those three in the series and stop dragging up ghosts. It still just fits poorly into existing canon. Not necessarily the Amuro/Char/Lalah thing but the Laplace Box retcon still kind of hurts it. Would be funny if Tomino ignored it or did some other retcon to replace it. Not sure they're saying there's another plane and all that, but the whole thing is starting to feel not complete in faith to the spirit of Gundam. It's never been like this really.

We're talking about the same Tomino who wrote this, right? :lol

Unicorn's ending isn't probably not too far off the Tomino path, really.

yami4ct

I totally do for quite a few reasons. First, getting a feel for the kit really helps me find the best parts breakdown for me to paint with. Helps me work more efficiently. Second, it helps me find seems/masking that I might otherwise miss. Big reason is the fact that I have very little time/money to paint, so pre-building means I can have a semi-complete product sitting around to mess with until I can get a project going.

Aizo

Banned
Mobile Suit Gundam - The 08th MS Team
Finally finished it. It has some weird pacing issues, and characters that seemed strong at the beginning become pretty lame by the end. Also, that final episode was such a pathetic way to end it. Why did that happen? There were some really fun episodes, and I enjoyed that fight that Zeon ace a lot, but it seems to suffer from some sort of identity crisis--the staff was unable to decide what kind of themes and atmosphere to have.
Overall, I thought it was slightly above average.

yami4ct

Finally finished it. It has some weird pacing issues, and characters that seemed strong at the beginning become pretty lame by the end. Also, that final episode was such a pathetic way to end it. Why did that happen? There were some really fun episodes, and I enjoyed that fight that Zeon ace a lot, but it seems to suffer from some sort of identity crisis--the staff was unable to decide what kind of themes and atmosphere to have.

The fact that the director died part way through the making of the series probably explains it's strange tonal shifts at times. Still one of my favorite Gundam series, though.

Jaeger

Has anyone got any of the Kotobukiya M.S.G. / Frame Arms related merchandise for their kits?

MSG_MB40.jpg

The Unite Sword (after seeing what someone did with it!) really tickled my fancy.

I think I'm about to drop a hundred on just weapon kits, and display bases. lol

RangerBAD

We're talking about the same Tomino who wrote this, right? :lol

Unicorn's ending isn't probably not too far off the Tomino path, really.

Never read it, but I know he's pretty crazy. That's why I'm interested in what he does with his show. I guess his new Gundam might follow up on Gaia Gear. Oh boy.
Would you consider this reincarnation in Gaia Gear or the same thing that happened in Unicorn? A possession via memories or are they saying that the soul is contained in memories? Now that I think about it's not really reincarnation.
After reading the summary, Gaia Gear seems incredibly tame for Tomino. Considering V Gundam is around the same time, even if V Gundam was a sort of retaliation toward Bandai telling Tomino what to do.

Edit: Just saw that Gaia Gear isn't canonical to Universal Century.

300px-Rx-110-refined.jpg

The Zorin Soul is fucking awesome looking at least.

Blader

08th MS Team really should have just ended with The Shuddering Mountain. The actual final episode adds absolutely nothing to the story, and I know that if I had waited three years to see that, I would have been extremely pissed off about it. :lol

08th is my favorite Gundam though. I don't really see the same tonal problems that you saw, but it has been a while since I last rewatched it.

RangerBAD

08th MS Team really should have just ended with The Shuddering Mountain. The actual final episode adds absolutely nothing to the story, and I know that if I had waited three years to see that, I would have been extremely pissed off about it. :lol

08th is my favorite Gundam though. I don't really see the same tonal problems that you saw, but it has been a while since I last rewatched it.

There was some heart wrenching stuff there though.

B.K.

I still need to watch the final episode of 08th MS Team. I bought the DVDs when Bandai closed, but I haven't watched them yet. The only time I've seen the series was when it was on Cartoon Network over a decade ago. They didn't show the last episode, so I still haven't seen it.

Ken

i think i have the 08th ms team vhs, at least for the first ep

it was kind of awkward having people walk in and see that naked girl go for a swim

Jaeger

Just started watching the OG Mobile Suit Gundam (something I've admittedly never done, aside from a compilation film I think), and so far it's awesome.

It's crazy how serious this show is. Episode 1 alone, we've touched on death, and child soldiers, and people struggling to survive in a war no one wants.

Apparently, I'll be the owner of an air compressor + airbrush soon.
Pretty dang excited to try it out and learn how to paint them model kits. :D

Also, after I finish Mobile Suit Gundam, what do I have to watch?

Ken

Just started watching the OG Mobile Suit Gundam (something I've admittedly never done, aside from a compilation film I think), and so far it's awesome.

It's crazy how serious this show is. Episode 1 alone, we've touched on death, and child soldiers, and people struggling to survive in a war no one wants.

Yeah, I was just recently looking at MGs for the Guncannon, Guntank, and Gundam and want to grab a set of them because of how well the designs still hold up.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Why... didn't I think of this idea? Cap and Iron Man themed Gunpla:

DSC_0578.JPG

- - -

Anyways, thanks for the tips on painting guys. I think I'm going to test out different washes on runners before I paint. Got my Rewaboo in and I think I'll put it all together first so I can get a better idea of what to paint what colour because I can't seem to nail down what kind of colour balance to go with. After spending a week doing mock ups, this is the best I can come up with;

Left is the original (it already looks beautiful) and right is my mock up. Too much gold? Too little? In the wrong places? Would appreciate any suggestions. The paint I'll be using is a metallic sequin black and a metallic gold, and I won't be using those regal stickers; I just couldn't edit over them in Photoshop easily.

Jaeger

I won this yesterday. ;)

So freaking excited. I've been following this person's work for awhile now, and it just blows my mind each time. Some of the best Gunpla work I have ever seen, and most of the work is MG (my favorite scale to collect Gunpla in).

Now to grab a few extra stuff to make a cool diorama with. I'm loving Frame Arms stuff, and the Modeling Support Goods accessories.

PhiLonius

Z and then ZZ.

Anyways, thanks for the tips on painting guys. I think I'm going to test out different washes on runners before I paint. Got my Rewaboo in and I think I'll put it all together first so I can get a better idea of what to paint what colour because I can't seem to nail down what kind of colour balance to go with. After spending a week doing mock ups, this is the best I can come up with;

Left is the original (it already looks beautiful) and right is my mock up. Too much gold? Too little? In the wrong places? Would appreciate any suggestions. The paint I'll be using is a metallic sequin black and a metallic gold, and I won't be using those regal stickers; I just couldn't edit over them in Photoshop easily.

I got to say I'm liking that Black/Gold color scheme. Can't wait to see the finished product.

RangerBAD

The Tomino train is just beginning.

dr-evil-laugh-o.gif

You need to watch Z if you haven't already.

dan2026

I've just started watching Gundam Wing having never really seen a Gundam series before.

I am two episodes in and can't decide if I like it or not. I am in two minds.

Beth Cyra

I've just started watching Gundam Wing having never really seen a Gundam series before.

I am two episodes in and can't decide if I like it or not. I am in two minds.
Wing has some really good stuff (Treize, OZ suit design, Endless Waltz) and some really bad shit (Heero going from being a unique if creepy lead to his conclusion, pacing and writer changes) but overall id still rate it higher then trash like G, AGE, X, and Destiny.

Just finished watching SEED for the first time last night. Overall I liked it, definitely felt like it dragged at some points, certainly took me longer to watch than 0079 or 00.
My favorite character was Mu La Flaga and I kept having this feeling like he was gonna die throughout the series and the surprise 2nd to last episode it happened :(. I kinda felt like it was an abrupt ending, with like 7-8 episodes to go like I thought there would be no time to finish this off with how much still needed to be resolved, and the last couple episodes cram some stuff in so much so that there's only like 5 minutes devoted to an epilogue.

So I hear SEED Destiny is pretty rough so I've decided to hold off on diving into that and switch to Build Fighters. I watched the first episode and I can see why it gets so much praise. I have a feeling I'm going to blow right through it and it's probably gonna result in a Gunpla order.

So I hear SEED Destiny is pretty rough so I've decided to hold off on diving into that and switch to Build Fighters.

BeHCFwc.jpg

Listen to Amuro. Endure Seed Destiny. It's absolute shit, though it starts off half way decent. After you have completed that abomination, you'll be able to appreciate GBF all the more. It will look genius level compared to what you had just watched

Beth Cyra

BeHCFwc.jpg

Listen to Amuro. Endure Seed Destiny. It's absolute shit, though it starts off half way decent. After you have completed that abomination, you'll be able to appreciate GBF all the more. It will look genius level compared to what you had just watched
Im actually of the mind that the end of Destiny is the better part because of how terrible Shinn is.

Just finished watching SEED for the first time last night. Overall I liked it, definitely felt like it dragged at some points, certainly took me longer to watch than 0079 or 00.
My favorite character was Mu La Flaga and I kept having this feeling like he was gonna die throughout the series and the surprise 2nd to last episode it happened :(. I kinda felt like it was an abrupt ending, with like 7-8 episodes to go like I thought there would be no time to finish this off with how much still needed to be resolved, and the last couple episodes cram some stuff in so much so that there's only like 5 minutes devoted to an epilogue.

So I hear SEED Destiny is pretty rough so I've decided to hold off on diving into that and switch to Build Fighters. I watched the first episode and I can see why it gets so much praise. I have a feeling I'm going to blow right through it and it's probably gonna result in a Gunpla order.

Perhaps you should check out Destiny if your favorite character is who you say it is. Don't get me wrong it is not as good as SEED, but certainly has some interesting moments/characters. Some favorite characters from SEED return of course. Trying to be as vague as possible without spoiling.

CorvoSol

AGE is better than Destiny.

WRONG SIR, WRONG!

Im actually of the mind that the end of Destiny is the better part because of how terrible Shinn is.

Destiny's end is great because of the look on Shinn's face when he realizes he jizzed his pants over
killing Kira and Athrun
but he actually completely failed to do so!

That's what you get for expecting
a nuclear explosion
to
kill Jesus
!

Beth Cyra

WRONG SIR, WRONG!

Destiny's end is great because of the look on Shinn's face when he realizes he jizzed his pants over
killing Kira and Athrun
but he actually completely failed to do so!

That's what you get for expecting
a nuclear explosion
to
kill Jesus
!
See, I just liked the ending because of Shinn's final fight
against Athrun. Seriously, the bitch just gets his ass handed to him and I loved every second of it.

I mean Athrun
Fucking stuffs a Shining Finger, it was so glorious, it made all the pain worth it.

BeHCFwc.jpg

Oh yeah, I've already decided to watch it but I got burnt out towards the end of SEED. It took me almost a month to sit down and finish the last 15 episodes.

I want to jump into something short and sweet then take that enthusiasm right into Destiny.

I've still got 0083, Zeta, CCA, and Wing sitting on my shelf and I'm planning on getting G, F91, and Unicorn at some point. Plus ZZ is streaming, so its not like I'm going to end on Destiny. I've never seen any of them before.

Perhaps you should check out Destiny if your favorite character is who you say it is. Don't get me wrong it is not as good as SEED, but certainly has some interesting moments/characters. Some favorite characters from SEED return of course. Trying to be as vague as possible without spoiling.

Actually I peeked at their wiki entry so I know they'll be back. It's partly why I've decided to continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom