• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New JL Trailer is Everything Wrong With DC's Dark Movie Universe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't mind you posting one way or another, but like I said in my first post, I wish it was original.

The article is just listing the same things everyone has said a thousand times over. Not enough color, not fun, dark and bleak, blah blah blah.

Find an article that says something new about the DC universe, and then I'll be super impressed.

Dude, just make your own thread then. Why are you telling OP what to do?

Some of you take this way too seriously.

Eh, I don't think Justice League vs Darkseid and the forces of Apokolips is a story that really lends itself to bright colors. Some of the scenes in the trailer even looked like they might be on Apokolips, or some kind of post-Darkseid invasion earth or something. It's not cheery, colorful material.

Aside from that, you can criticize Snyder for a lot, but please don't ask him to make his visuals look more like Marvel's. The guy actually has his own visual style and sensibility. Some people actually appreciate that in films.

Because comic books are all about being bright and colorful. Desaturating all of the color seems to be missing the point. Especially the fuckin Justice League of America.
They are? And lumping together all comics together like that is nonsense. Go read Scott Snyder's Batman, then Arkham Asylum, then the new Batman Rebirth. Same character, three very different tones, styles, and aesthetic

The heroes are constantly altered to fit the creator's tone. There is no one "comics/superheroes are all bright and colorful" style, least of all with Marvel and DC

Eidan

So Spiderman or MCU are automatically considered a better movie because it has colors...? ok.

What movies are considered visually better then MOS or BVS anyways? Funny thing is TWS is my favorite MCU movie they toned down the color a lot compared to Avengers. Guess I'm in the minority who prefer the dark look.

Thor:The Dark World.

B33

Banned
What a load of horse shit.

What an awful complaint. The movie looks fucking stunning. BvS despite its problems looked amazing and should've been nominated for best cinematography. Man Of Steel had multiple action scenes including the finale set during the day. The grey cloudy look at the end of the fight is the result of the destruction from the world engine. Nearly all of BvS's scenes were set at night because nearly all of the action scenes in the movie were Batman fighting things and Batman doesnt usually fight during the day.

Regardless, Zach Snyder has made three very comic book looking movies and is going all out this time around in terms of style and color pallet. it looks like a comic book. it moves like a comic book panel. very hyperrealistic and stylized. you cannot look at the gifs below and say it's desaturated. the colors are very vivid despite being set at night. it looks stunning. Homecoming wishes it looked this good. Oh and King Kong's cinematographer was Larry Fong who also happened to be the Director of Photography on BvS.

I prefer Fong's work without Snyder.

To be fair, both of those shots are meant to homage Apocalypse Now.

About the article: I can understand not being a fan of BvS aesthetics. There's something off putting about it that's hard for me to put my finger on. It's not as simple as being too dark though. Maybe it is the desaturated look.

Finally, I never mind a film that's got a dark tone. Heck, Logan is an early front runner for my favorite flick of the year and that movie is dark as hell. BvS has loads of problems not related to tone, but it seems to be an easy scapegoat.

They are? And lumping together all comics together like that is nonense. Go read Scott Snyder's Batman, then Arkham Asylum, then the new Batman Rebirth. Same character, three very different tones, styles, and aesthetic

The heroes are constantly altered to fit the creator's tone. There is no one "comics/superheroes are all bright and colorful" style, least of all with Marvel and DC

I meant to say specify Superhero comics but sure they are. Batman is probably the darkest superhero comics get and it's generally still pretty colorful. Arkham Asylum is an outlier in terms of almost everything but the other two you mentioned are way more colorful than the average Zack Snyder film. The colors were the best part of the Scott Snyder run.

And that's Batman. If you could find a Justice League comic that wasn't super colorful in comparison to the average Zack Snyder superhero flick I would be shocked.

Veelk

Banned
I meant to say specify Superhero comics but sure they are. Batman is probably the darkest superhero comics get and it's generally still pretty colorful. Arkham Asylum is an outlier in terms of almost everything but the other two you mentioned are way more colorful than the average Zack Snyder film. The colors were the best part of the Scott Snyder run.

And that's Batman. If you could find a Justice League comic that wasn't super colorful in comparison to the average Zack Snyder superhero flick I would be shocked.

I still would love to see the current batsuit seen in a live action setting.

Costume02.jpg

I've always been a reluctant supporter of all black batsuits because, when you get down to it, I always throught they looked the best.

This is the first modern colorful batsuit that I think looks great. Purple cape, yellow outline over batlogo, grey suit. It's a genuinely unique, innovating take on the idea. I love it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't get the article.

The problem with the DCEU isn't that it takes place at night, it's that the movies ignore the background and best materials relating to the individual characters in favor of try to fit them all in the mold of grimdark Batman.

Like DC doesn't have a static tone across their cast of characters, and the ideal would be if the movies reflected what was best about each individual character instead of focusing so much on trying to fit the universe together.

It's okay to have a universe where one guy is the idealized stand-up 1940s man who always looks toward a better future and another is a crazy vigilante who punches criminals in the night while thinking this is a great solution to crime. Their conflict with arise naturally without having to make the former guy murder people en masse.

Regardless, Zach Snyder has made three very comic book looking movies and is going all out this time around in terms of style and color pallet. it looks like a comic book. it moves like a comic book panel. very hyperrealistic and stylized.

Given the variety of comic styles and designs, what does this mean? Especially when it comes to Watchmen, which Moore wanted to look very specifically like its own entity and borrow very little from established comic book norms.

My biggest complaint with Watchmen is just that Snyder didn't seem to *get* the graphic novel's visual identity. He "faithfully" used panels for his frames as inspiration, but what purpose does this serve? The movie screen is not a single panel out of a 3x3 grid.

Snyder basically took the understated, subtle beauty (and ugliness) of Watchmen and turned it into what Moore was pushing away from: a garish sort of beauty and indulgence.

dbztrk

They color/saturation doesn't bother me. The issue is the movies suck. That JL trailer was trash. The humor was a fail and i'm pretty sure the storyline and action will be anemic at best.

DC really, REALLY needs to take a look at Marvel's movies and realize that they can lighten up a bit

People already have the Marvel movies. Let them try and fail. Earning $2.3B with their first connected universe movies doesn't seem to indicate that people disagree with the films' tone and direction.

At this point, I would like to see where this goes rather than them aping Marvel. I feel people will STILL intensely "criticize" them for it even if the successfully do that.

I like the way Snyder's movies look, it'd just be nice to have some substance there

The constant "no THIS is the problem!" complaining is useless when it's every single thing being nitpicked. Too serious! Too grim! Too dark! Why's it nighttime! Where's the color! Where's the jokes! The suits are wrong!

At a certain point if everyone has a problem with everything about these movies than there is nothing they can do to salvage them to critics. Made even worse when they have no vision for it (or are scared to actually go through with anything) so you get these half assed attempts at appeasing complaints in a way that doesn't make sense with what they're trying to do

I love the heavily stylized always dark always raining aesthetic. I get people don't. It's whatever. It'd just be nice to see DC actually follow through with something and make a solid demonstration of "this is what we're trying to do". I'd like to think JL will be that but I doubt it will

"Why don't they just do what Marvel does" is fucking boring and makes for an even more saturated market of the same shit. I'd rather watch some mediocre stuff that looks cool and gives me something else than inoffensive more of the same

xk0sm0sx

We just had a pretty dark and good Superhero movie, it's called Power Rangers. (Which is such a huuuuge contrast to the original material)
It had a decent plot and editting, which is what you can't say with BvS.

a916

Sensational headline hiding lazy and superficial writing... the article writer should be embarrassed as should who over let this piece of writing slide.

Yeah, because colour palette is why DC films are received poorly/divisively...

Harmen

I don't mind darkness, it is more that even non-cg shots/elements look fake due to whatever filters they put on there. There is barely any trace of anything that looks close to natural lightning in the trailer, dark or not.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
What's all this about dark and light? Pure aesthetics. What WB needs is to stop meddling, get better script writers, and get better directors. Firstly, they need to stop the menace that is Zack Snyder.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
The problem isn't necessarily that the DC movies are too dark, it's that Snyder's visual style has one mode and one thing it does and that's it. All the shots in that JL trailer look almost identical in color temp, tone, and even setting at times. Other than Bruce in the mountains, not a single shot in that trailer looks like it takes place in a real location. The greenscreen and set extension is incredibly obvious, like The Hobbit obvious. There's no scope or size to it, and everything feels suspiciously claustrophobic, similar to Indy 4.

I mean say what you will about Marvel's flatter cinematography but at least they have a sense of place most of the time. There's almost nothing of visual interest in this trailer. It's cluttered and hard to read when it should be flowing and easy to decipher, especially the Flash stuff. Usually Snyder at least has a few striking shots in each film, even if they're not earned at all, but I guess they're holding those back for the later trailers or SDCC? The only pleasant surprise here is that Aquaman isn't the grumpy "stupid land dwellers don't get how important I am" dickhead that he's often portrayed as being in the early JL days. I really think it's shockingly likely that the Aquaman movie will end up being the best DCEU film in the end.

LionPride

Banned
What's all this about dark and light? Pure aesthetics. What WB needs is to stop meddling, get better script writers, and get better directors. Firstly, they need to stop the menace that is Zack Snyder.
His visual style is good, but everything else isn't for the most part.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I liked the trailer, i dont think ive been on any forum that hates these movies nearly as much as gaf. Whats wrong with dark?

Nothing, but as a trailer that wants to sell you the movie, some see the start of the trailer till the end just one light scale

Like yes if shits going down, smoke, dreary, fires galore raging, decimation laid about you use the dark to convey the visual scope of the scene
Yet throughout the whole trailer to some including me it felt like that the whole things is just stuck on that visual base

Some of the scenes come off really looking fake, cause the visual tone doesn't match what's happening in front of you
Prime example when Wonder Woman goes her superhero fall pose and joins Aquaman and Cyborg in that alien space location
The color is so muted, Cyborg almost is blending into the scene, Aquaman looks very dull, Wonder Woman looks tolerable cause the focal point is on her
Could've used some different color grade or just lighting it differently, just to show the Superheroes in a good standing

Color grading and night scenes aren't the problem with DC's cinematic universe.

The problem isn't necessarily that the DC movies are too dark, it's that Snyder's visual style has one mode and one thing it does and that's it. All the shots in that JL trailer look almost identical in color temp, tone, and even setting at times. Other than Bruce in the mountains, not a single shot in that trailer looks like it takes place in a real location. The greenscreen and set extension is incredibly obvious, like The Hobbit obvious. There's no scope or size to it, and everything feels suspiciously claustrophobic, similar to Indy 4.

That said, I can agree with this wholeheartedly.

Honestly a big problem is its not really anything new. Yeah yeah, heroes teaming up to beat a major minion of a big bad guy.

I'm already getting tired of it from Marvel, and at least they have Ant Man or Guardians of The Galaxy as a fresh take, and a certain amount for self awareness.

Justice League all looks like Superhero stuff I've seen before, with the same schtick Snyder always has.

Imagine if Snyder had this all planned out from the beginning. The dark tone, the brooding atmosphere, all of it just to chronicle the story of Superman as the second coming. I can just picture the Justice League, beaten and bloody on the verge of defeat, and Superman descending from the clouds just as dawn breaks. Superman smiles, wrecks shit up, then they all go and get Kebabs
shawarma

Kin5290

Also bad is the muted, monochromatic colors of the Parademon design. They are faceless and entirely colored a dull grey, being fought in a dull grey environment.

Ooh theyre talking about the literal dark look of the film. And as a huuuge fan of both Marvel and DC, out of Homecoming and JL, JL looks alot better visually.

I don't necessarily disagree, but it's missing the forest for the trees IMO. These kinds of looks aren't terrible in and of themselves IMO, it's just that they've become representative of Snyder's generally sociopathic approach. It's okay to have a dark tone, if the movie works as a movie and the audience feels engaged, with well delineated characters, who have congruent behaviors and goals, whîle the story flows forward. Except Snyder's movies have really underdelivered for me in these aspects and I felt like I was left with a very mechanical end product. The look and tone are symptomatic of this but aren't the root cause.

There might also be (in my case) a bit of fatigue seeing this kind of treatment applied to DC. After the Nolan movies, the Arkham games, and the Injustice franchise, I could use another approach to this universe. I assume they really wanted to have that tone for their cinematic universe because it gave them some cross media congruence, but it's a bit too much IMO.

Dalek

They are? And lumping together all comics together like that is nonsense. Go read Scott Snyder's Batman, then Arkham Asylum, then the new Batman Rebirth. Same character, three very different tones, styles, and aesthetic

My man.

Color grading and night scenes aren't the problem with DC's cinematic universe.

absolutely.

LosDaddie

Banned
Visuals are probably the least of WB's concern for the DCEU right now.

The problem is that visuals are probably the least of WB's concern for the DCEU.

I don't mind the greyer, darker look of the two DCU films I've seen (Man of Steel, BvS). The cinematography is quite striking and looks quite good (bad CGI Doomsday and Ceiling-Bat excepted).

Heck, I don't even mind the dark tone. Can dig the don't-give-a-shit Batman and struggling Superman who had to commit an execution in a poorly executed scene.

It's all the contrivances along the way and how far left field this darkness goes that is just plain off, especially with Superman. This being the guy who made out with how-is-this-Amy-Adams Lois Lane over the ashes of a good chunk of city.

Snyder's directing and choice of photography isn't so much as the problem as the writing. Something he needs to step away from and bring in someone of better caliber than Goyer to take the reins.

Complaint comes up every time.

I don't think tone has ever been a problem, at least for me.

What I would like to see is some variety though, for something that's touted as a director driven universe, they've all been shot with very similar aesthetics.

JaggedSac

I'm glad DC is trying something less formulaic and more interesting than what Marvel is up to.

The Marvel movies to are fine but totally forgettable for the most part. Like the popcorn I ate while watching them. They have their place, and I enjoy them while I watch them. They feel like they were written by committee and I can't tell you the bad guys motivation in any of them.

The DC movies problem isn't the tone, it's that they are bad.

Well said.

I don't necessarily disagree, but it's missing the forest for the trees IMO. These kinds of looks aren't terrible in and of themselves IMO, it's just that they've become representative of Snyder's generally sociopathic approach. It's okay to have a dark tone, if the movie works as a movie and the audience feels engaged, with well delineated characters, who have congruent behaviors and goals, whîle the story flows forward. Except Snyder's movies have really underdelivered for me in these aspects and I felt like I was left with a very mechanical end product. The look and tone are symptomatic of this but aren't the root cause.

There might also be (in my case) a bit of fatigue seeing this kind of treatment applied to DC. After the Nolan movies, the Arkham games, and the Injustice franchise, I could use another approach to this universe. I assume they really wanted to have that tone for their cinematic universe because it gave them some cross media congruence, but it's a bit too much IMO.

Correct.

The elements that Synder has to work with are completely fine. Visually, the DC films look wildly different than many other films out there. That's not a problem.

What is a problem is there's nothing behind them when it comes to the narrative.

Sami+

Because comic books are all about being bright and colorful. Desaturating all of the color seems to be missing the point. Especially the fuckin Justice League of America.

Some faithfulness to the source material would be appreciated.

tee hee boy do I love me some silly bright and colorful fun for the whole family

edit - and before some guy jumps on this yes I know this is Spider-Man - he's the only one whose comics I read so I'm not familiar with the other superheroes. I just agree w this post:

I'm glad DC is trying something less formulaic and more interesting than what Marvel is up to.

The Marvel movies to are fine but totally forgettable for the most part. Like the popcorn I ate while watching them. They have their place, and I enjoy them while I watch them. They feel like they were written by committee and I can't tell you the bad guys motivation in any of them.

The DC movies problem isn't the tone, it's that they are bad.

I agree that the DC films have overall issues with darkness, but the Justice League doesn't strike me as being exactly "dark". It's pretty jokey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom