• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New JL Trailer is Everything Wrong With DC's Dark Movie Universe

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan2026

This attack on the tone of DC's movies and them being "too dark" is such a red herring.

Their movies have bad writing and atrocious editing. Suicide Squad wasn't dark or bleak, neither was this trailer.

They should focus a lot more on their writing than whether Batman should toss in a joke or two.
Agreed it isn't the contrast that the big problem.
It's the awful writing.

Nobody involved in these DC movies seems to understand anything about the characters they are trying to adapt.

Kart94

Banned
A brighter Batman V Superman would still be bad.

A brighter Man of Steel would still be bad

A brighter Suicide Squad would still be bad.

Brighter is not the magic bullet. Better writing makes a good comic book movie, not colors.

Ben Affleck's Batman could either be dark and gritty, or he would be in something that resembles the Adam West series, and if the script is good, then it is good.

Yager

Banned
Who cares about this? I want good movies, I don't care if they're dark or bright. Green Lantern was colorful, Catwoman was bright, Joel Shcumacher Batman was stupidly bright. I guess in that case they should've gone with more darkness to make those movies better.

This attack on the tone of DC's movies and them being "too dark" is such a red herring.

Their movies have bad writing and atrocious editing. Suicide Squad wasn't dark or bleak, neither was this trailer.

They should focus a lot more on their writing than whether Batman should toss in a joke or two.
Yup. People look at the wrong problems.

The movies are simply bad and no amount of color can fix that.

Random17

I don't think you know how films work if you think Snyder has no control over the script/story.

I mean he obviously does, but the problems with writing in BvS were so significant that it probably came from the script writer/lead story planner/whoever is part of that team.

I'm sure Snyder is a big part of that too. It was just fundamentally flawed, the concept was bad at the roots, Martha being a good example. Unless that was Snyder's idea, or Snyder had even more influence on major focal points of the story than I can imagine, I lay that blame more on whoever wrote the damn thing.

Voyr

Banned
Shit argument, I abhor that everyone wants fun and humour and camp in everything otherwise it's an edge, grimdark mess, fuck that. I like that these films have a semblance of deeper thought, even if it stumbles in some areas. At least what it offers has weight.

Compare that to Marvel's offerings and any time that they try to be serious or portray a serious threat it's a complete waste of time, fail and a great shame. Nothing in Marvel's universe has any gravitas towards it, not even the Stark vs Cap scenario - nothing feels real, and any threat or menace or villain is shrugged of a second after it's introduced with a one liner for cheap laughs. Everyone feels safe, no death portrayals means that all the threats, such as big floating cities, are not real threats, as we the audience are not shown anything that in such a situation would be dark about it.

For all its faults, the DC universe is better at this, their threats are very more real and have significant more weight than anything posed by Marvel. I like that they try to bring some deeper meaning, and couldn't care less for the argument that people don't want 'edge', 'deepness' or 'thought'. I think the conflicts and world building were great carried over from MoS into BvS. Yeah there was a lot that could be improved, but I'm tired of the one liners, campness and complete lack of all seriousness is the Marvel universe.

I think it's more enigmatic of audiences whom are opposed to darker portrayals. Conversely I find the camp portrays of DC characters to be awful also, I think those character portray better outside of being the 60's Batman.

tenor.gif

Yup. People look at the wrong problems.

The movies are simply bad and no amount of color can fix that.
Pretty much. The argument seems to be that since Marvel is lighter in tone and whatnot, that's why it's successful, so if only these DC movies were more like that, then they would be better, well received, etc.

These movies could be the most bleak, darkest superhero movies ever made or as campy and light and colorful as classic DC comics, and they would still fail as movies without good writing, structure, plot, and so on.

The issue isn't tone or aesthetic. If anything, that's the most unique and interesting part about these movies. It's everything else that hurts them

Tace

Aesthetically, I'm not the biggest fan of how dreary everything looks. But I agree that is not the real problem. The writing and characterization is wayyy off. The moment Superman killed Zod, this version of the DC universe lost my interest. I'm waiting for a reboot from someone who actually cares about the characters. Complain about marvel's "tired" formula all you want, at least the characters act like they should.

clemenx

Banned
Nothing wrong with how DC looks. What we have to wonder and research is why they seem to aim to make the movies flat out boring.

It's a tragedy. I wanted to like BvS but there's so much "nothing" going on.

I'm not a "fan" of the Marvel movies, they're cheap popcorn flicks that you forget 30 minutes after they end but they're fun to see anytime. I can't even watch BvS a 2nd time completely.

My favorite part of "DCEU sucks" threads is how everyone agrees it sucks but no one agrees on the reason but everyone agrees with every reason but everybody knows definitively why it sucks even though 30 different reasons are definitively given by 30 different users. It's quite entertaining.

It's perfect really. No reasonable discussions can be had unless it's about how bad it is.

My favorite part of "DCEU sucks" threads is how everyone agrees it sucks but no one agrees on the reason but everyone agrees with every reason but everybody knows definitively why it sucks even though 30 different reasons are definitively given by 30 different users. It's quite entertaining.
It's almost like something can be flawed for more than one reason. You make this statement as if people bringing up multiple reasons makes those reasons invalid

Because that the DCEU sucks it's a fact, not an opinion.
It's a fact for you but not shared by people who like it.

But, it's getting better and the logical thing to do is wait for the movie to come out and judge it then.

Hearing really good things from Wonder Con.

Yager

Banned

But, it's getting better and the logical thing to do is wait for the movie to come out and judge it then.

You clearly don't know who you talkin' to (not that you should).

boiled goose

good with gravy
The problem is that the movies are bad, not that they are dark.

Getting better??

Mos
Bvs
Ss

Where's the getting better?

Shit argument, I abhor that everyone wants fun and humour and camp in everything otherwise it's an edge, grimdark mess, fuck that. I like that these films have a semblance of deeper thought, even if it stumbles in some areas. At least what it offers has weight.

Compare that to Marvel's offerings and any time that they try to be serious or portray a serious threat it's a complete waste of time, fail and a great shame. Nothing in Marvel's universe has any gravitas towards it, not even the Stark vs Cap scenario - nothing feels real, and any threat or menace or villain is shrugged of a second after it's introduced with a one liner for cheap laughs. Everyone feels safe, no death portrayals means that all the threats, such as big floating cities, are not real threats, as we the audience are not shown anything that in such a situation would be dark about it.

For all its faults, the DC universe is better at this, their threats are very more real and have significant more weight than anything posed by Marvel. I like that they try to bring some deeper meaning, and couldn't care less for the argument that people don't want 'edge', 'deepness' or 'thought'. I think the conflicts and world building were great carried over from MoS into BvS. Yeah there was a lot that could be improved, but I'm tired of the one liners, campness and complete lack of all seriousness is the Marvel universe.

I think it's more enigmatic of audiences whom are opposed to darker portrayals. Conversely I find the camp portrays of DC characters to be awful also, I think those character portray better outside of being the 60's Batman.

Lol, which villains in the 3 DCU movies are good?

Lex Luthor? His plan relied heavily on The World's Best Detective to be a blood thirsty moron. What the hell was he going to do after Doomsday killed everybody?

That Egyptian PopLockin' Action Figure in Suicide Squad? LOL

I guess General Zod was atleast menacing. He made Superman kill him and actually had a motive that made sense.

I mean Marvel villains don't fair any better, but none of these are Loki or Tony Stark level.

The problem is that the movies are bad, not that they are dark.

Getting better??

Mos
Bvs
Ss

Where's the getting better?

I'm not going to google it for you.

There have been major changes in leadership and shakeups in the year since BvS was released. New people are in charge and scripts from SS on have been rewritten or scrapped. New directors announced and it's obvious there's a tonal shift on the horizon for the DCEU.

Impressions of WW are positive and Snyder is under a fucking microscope with Geoff Johns hovering over him.

So yes, it's getting better. Of course, in a year's time I'll be able to say that more definitively if things go well, which it looks like it will.

Hazelhurst

The trailer was fine. It needed Superman, but it was fine since I know they're hiding him for now.

I love Man of Steel and BvS (minus Jesse Eisenberg).

Big Blue

I think people are looking at this way to literally. The DCEU's dark color palette is clearly indicative of the "dark" themes of the film universe. There's clearly a correlation between the color grading and the brooding, dreary nature of the writing, characterization, and story lines. It's allegory

Come on, you guys. They're clearly building up to a Watchmen Sequel where Manhattan nukes the universe and whammy - Rebirth DCEU: Now With More Fun!

ZoddGutts

I get that their going for a more darker/gritty look just not a fan how it looks, it looks like it was shot in front of a green screen, it has a video gamey look to it like how Sucker Punch dream sequences looked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom