• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part I - PS5 - Coming September 2 (PC version in development)

Ellie looks more like Ashley Johnson now.
The remake looks nice but this particular shot shocks me. The original is way better. A complete different atmosphere. And now I can't unsee the face change on Ellie. I don't get why change faces of characters.
Edit : could this be a right issue ? Original actress doesn't want her face to be used anymore ?
Yeah in this case i like the original more because i really like the second lighting coming from the left of Ellie.
But other than this i think the remake looks amazing. And we have Tlou part 2 gameplay now!!!
Edit: did a quick paintover, added the second lighting in.
Evb8LTt.jpg

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
I don’t like what he did at all. He was selfish and took away From Ellie what she thought was her mission. It’s the reason why she was so angry in the second game.
I understand why he did it but it doesn’t make it right any better.
It wasn't her mission in the first game. She was not even aware of what was going on, that's why they rewrote the ending in the TLOU2 flashbacks and made her "angry" at Joel. They had a specific story they wanted to tell in TLOU2 and it didn't fit with what happened. Weird that you were rooting for the Fireflies and wanted Ellie dead tho. Very cold.

You'd have to be very charitable towards the Fireflies for that take IMO.

We've seen nothing that they would've been able to create a vaccine in sufficient quantities and had the means for proper distribution. We have seen them act like thugs and not honor agreements. They were the ones who escalated the situation and forced Joel's hand when they were gonna strand him in an infested Salt Lake City without his gear.
I will never understand the people that care more about the damn Fireflies or that random guy Joel ran over instead of the actual protagonists that you just played for the whole game. After all that story you want Joel to do nothing and Ellie dead while she's unconscious on that table? Huh?

I'm not even sure how that would work psychologically. Cold robots and emotionally immature. It drove me crazy in all the TLOU2 defense threads.

Pay Day Money GIF by MOST EXPENSIVEST

Jimbo can’t hear ya over the phat stacks from PC sales.
We have the numbers. They are struggling to reach 1 million sold. Not impressive at all.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
It wasn't her mission in the first game. She was not even aware of what was going on, that's why they rewrote the ending in the TLOU2 flashbacks and made her "angry" at Joel. They had a specific story they wanted to tell in TLOU2 and it didn't fit with what happened. Weird that you were rooting for the Fireflies and wanted Ellie dead tho. Very cold.

I will never understand the people that care more about the damn Fireflies or that random guy Joel ran over instead of the actual protagonists that you just played for the whole game. After all that story you want Joel to do nothing and Ellie dead while she's unconscious on that table? Huh?

I'm not even sure how that would work psychologically. Cold robots and emotionally immature. It drove me crazy in all the TLOU2 defense threads.

We have the numbers. They are struggling to reach 1 million sold. Not impressive at all.
I was rooting for a cure and I found Joel selfish af.
Yeah I understand him but I don’t agree with what he did.
But it’s all good though, there are some people that also think like me, we don’t need a unanimous opinion on this at all. It’s different POVs.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Ellie's model wasn't the cutest most appealing ever kid in the remaster, but she did look like an innocent little kid. In all the screen shots of the remake it seems like they made her look older, far less appealing and unattractive. I don't like these changes at all.
Pretty much every woman in the sequel is made to look unattractive. Even Dina who is supposed to be the hottest chick in town looks fairly average.

It's super weird because almost all the men are handsome and or/good looking. Owen, Jesse and that Mexican Neil Druckman look like runway models. Tommy looked ripped. Only Isaac had a bit of a beer belly.

They did the same thing with Chloe and Nadine in Lost Legacy. Chloe is supposed to be hot as fuck. Nadine was never a looker but she was made to look very manly with that hairdo. Meanwhile Assav the bad guy was relatively good looking, they even comment on his looks at one point. It's odd because I remember watching a Naughty Dog panel at PSX where the female character artist specifically mentioned why they made Nate sexy with an open collar shirt and chest hair showing. She said Protagonists have to be good looking. Then a year later they downgraded Chloe's looks and then went above and beyond with their female character designs in TLOU2.

I dont know if there are any politics going on behind the scenes but its not a good look.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Firefly Edition has sold out in the US
And Europe & UK versions are not even available.
I'm curious what price this will be in the UK 🤔

Ulysses 31

It wasn't her mission in the first game. She was not even aware of what was going on, that's why they rewrote the ending in the TLOU2 flashbacks and made her "angry" at Joel. They had a specific story they wanted to tell in TLOU2 and it didn't fit with what happened.
Ellie also never gets told how the Fireflies treated Joel and he even leaves it out when he's retelling the story to Tommy which I found a bit disingenuous of the game. Joel is painted as the aggressor in part II.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Pretty much every woman in the sequel is made to look unattractive. Even Dina who is supposed to be the hottest chick in town looks fairly average.

It's super weird because almost all the men are handsome and or/good looking. Owen, Jesse and that Mexican Neil Druckman look like runway models. Tommy looked ripped. Only Isaac had a bit of a beer belly.

They did the same thing with Chloe and Nadine in Lost Legacy. Chloe is supposed to be hot as fuck. Nadine was never a looker but she was made to look very manly with that hairdo. Meanwhile Assav the bad guy was relatively good looking, they even comment on his looks at one point. It's odd because I remember watching a Naughty Dog panel at PSX where the female character artist specifically mentioned why they made Nate sexy with an open collar shirt and chest hair showing. She said Protagonists have to be good looking. Then a year later they downgraded Chloe's looks and then went above and beyond with their female character designs in TLOU2.

I dont know if there are any politics going on behind the scenes but its not a good look.
Thats because a lot of modern day people (liberal women in particular) are ashamed of sexuality, looking good and having fun. Its like they all fit the mould of that green haired virgin no guy likes. So to get back at everyone (in this case game character artists), their way is to dumb things down to make themselves feel better.

It's funny how looks and personality fit together. It sure seems every fugly on twitter and real life (people I know) are the only ones who have this anti-sexuality vibe to them. On the other hand, look at that. All the hot chicks (again including ones I know), love it, doll up and are never afraid to go out to lunch with the gang or hit a patio. Extroverted, put effort into looks, and they know it and love the attention. And people love them. Only people who might not are jealous women. I dont know one hottie in life that sits at home miserable, anti-sex, hates guys, hates society, the world is crash and burn etc... They all seem to love life like it's party central.

Guys typically dont give a shit. And women back in the day didnt either. Some of those stereotypical romance novel and game covers from yesteryear are drawn by women.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Remaking game that came out in 2013 and already remastered on PS4

Can these people get a litle more creative with the remake

Legend of Dragoon says hi

ParaSeoul

Ellie looks more like Ashley Johnson now.

Yeah in this case i like the original more because i really like the second lighting coming from the left of Ellie.
But other than this i think the remake looks amazing. And we have Tlou part 2 gameplay now!!!
Edit: did a quick paintover, added the second lighting in.
vQfyiGP.jpg
Watch the trailer and stop judging it from a still image.

Elios83

Remake looks great.
I've already finished it twice so I'd prefer something new but there are millions of people who have not played it and will learn about TLOU thanks to the HBO series so this makes a lot of sense.
Given that it's now confirmed they're both working on a new full scale multiplayer game and a new IP, it's clear that the team has expanded a lot to handle multiple projects.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Still not impressed despite all that

Rather have them making something new ( in my opinion )
Remake looks great.
I've already finished it twice so I'd prefer something new but there are millions of people who have not played it and will learn about TLOU thanks to the HBO series so this makes a lot of sense.
Given that it's now confirmed they're both working on a new full scale multiplayer game and a new IP, it's clear that the team has expanded a lot to handle multiple projects.
It all ties in together on many facets:

1. It's Sony's marquee franchise
2. HBO tv show
3. Get PC gamers up to speed on the series
4. Factions 2 coming out (GAAS)
5. Similar to last gen, TLOU games dont come out till end of the console. In the meantime to make sales, they'll do remasters/remakes for money and fill a gap
6. I bet they do a TLOU 2 remake by 2024 and and then TLOU 3 in 2026 (or whenever its time to transition to PS6)

Last edited:
where? seen none of it here or in the twitter replies

I mean it's mainly the like/dislike ratio but it's also worth saying that those downvotes could be for an array of reasons, even as simple as people upset with Summer Games Fest taking it out on TLOU Remake.

Some people are weirdly like that.

I would've accepted a downgrade in some aspects as long as it ran smoothly and still looked at least on par with TLoU2. But it looks like they just wanted to sell more PS5s... which is understandable since they aren't a charity but disappointing nonetheless. Of course they were always gonna kick the PS4 to the curb eventually like for their next major title, I was just hoping this would've been their last hurrah like Guerrilla with HFW and SSM with Ragnarok.

In some ways I can understand that some would probably have preferred something like TLOU Remake stay cross-gen while a new game like Ragnarok were PS5 exclusive. But at the same time we've gotta move on from 8th-gen hardware sooner or later.

If supply for consoles is getting better, Sony have to give more reasons to drive people to PS5 instead of just holding on to their PS4s. I'm still under the impression announcing this is in development for PC right at the time they revealed it might soften some of the driving factor the remake could've had for pushing PS5 sales but at the same time we can say that those PS5 will sell out anyway, and at least by being upfront about the PC version any selling power of the game on PS5 will be due to people willingly choosing to play it sooner on console rather than wait for later on PC.

but its still the most unnecessary remake ever.

No; that would be Madden.

Erebus

Wrong. It actually shows how a company positions itself among the market. The fact that Sony raised their prices shows they see their products as premium and better than lower priced ones. The fact that they're getting away with it shows their customers are fine with it and agree with the asked price.
Lol what? What makes you think that they’re getting away with it?
Even if you don’t pay attention to this very thread, check out their social media posts and/or gaming news outlets and you’ll see many are negatively commenting on the pricing. The fact that there is a hardcore/collectors audience that pre-ordered the physical edition, doesn’t mean that they’re getting away.

Swift_Star

Banned
Lol what? What makes you think that they’re getting away with it?
Even if you don’t pay attention to this very thread, check out their social media posts and/or gaming news outlets and you’ll see many are negatively commenting on the pricing. The fact that there is a hardcore/collectors audience that pre-ordered the physical edition, doesn’t mean that they’re getting away.
The games are selling like hotcakes at $70. There's no backlash and sales haven't slowed down. They're pretty much getting away with it.
Outlets and commentaries are irrelevant when you're breaking record after record.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I really loved TLOU. Joel and Ellie's relationship was the star of the show and you had great side characters pitching in along the way like Bill. I finished it multiple times on PS3 and PS4. I don't think I'll take that ride again, at least not day one. It's just too expensive, too soon and a good version of the game is still playable on PS5.

Erebus

The games are selling like hotcakes at $70. There's no backlash and sales haven't slowed down. They're pretty much getting away with it.
Outlets and commentaries are irrelevant when you're breaking record after record.
Are you deliberately shifting the topic to game sales in general now? I never said anything about pricing in general, I’m merely referring to this particular game.

kiphalfton

Yet another case of a limited/collector's edition including cheap crap. All of which probably cost $1 total to make (and that's likely being gracious). Even $70 for the full game is a joke, since this is the 3rd/4th iteration of the game to be released.

This is the game that keeps on giving for naughty dog. They're handling it better than rockstar handles GTA V, but this is getting ridiculous at this point and I wouldn't doubt it if there's a PS6 version which 8k or something stupid. I also don't doubt that next year or in the near future there is a PS5 version of LOU2.

Naughty Dog is a joke output wise, especially when compared to Insomniac, and they're making it extremely evident. Hopefully we get a new IP from them soon, because Uncharted and LOU are too samey and they seem to be riding out the success of those two games to too much of an extent.

Swift_Star

Banned
Are you deliberately shifting the topic to game sales in general now? I never said anything about pricing in general, I’m merely referring to this particular game.
Well, that's what I was talking about when I first replied to you. And I bet this game will sell like hotcakes at $70.

Lognor

Banned
Well, that's what I was talking about when I first replied to you. And I bet this game will sell like hotcakes at $70.
I wouldn't be so sure. We'll see how quickly the price drops. So far ps5 games have not dropped in price, so if it happens at all we might infer something from that.

And I'm betting Sony will make a bundle to get sales up. Probably releasing in Nov of this year.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Ok, maybe I'm over-exaggerating. But I still say this: gameplay in ND games is just okay. The shooting, cover system, climbing, stealth... it's all just serviceable. It's the story and characters that elevate them.
TLOU 2 probably has the best combat ever in a game. By far the most visceral, hard hitting, intense and satisfying.

Sifu is the only game that challenges it.

Alebrije

Niel talked about exploration if that means new áreas and characters the game could be interesting but 70 bucks just for graphics and gameplay update is not worth it.

Bartski

Gold Member
You think last of us 2 will get a next gen update?
there is plenty of room for improvement in the gfx dept in 2 imo, seeing how they matched character models now for part 1 to unify the look it's a given they will be tweaking part 2 to the same level for ps5 (ver HD/remaster) and releasing them together at some point.

Swift_Star

Banned
I wouldn't be so sure. We'll see how quickly the price drops. So far ps5 games have not dropped in price, so if it happens at all we might infer something from that.

And I'm betting Sony will make a bundle to get sales up. Probably releasing in Nov of this year.
HFW is constantly at the top 10 charts.
Now take the L.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I preordered Firefly Edition. I’m looking forward to playing it again, but not right away, it was a great game. I honestly want to forget TLOU2 ever happened. Most annoyed I’ve been at where a story in a piece of media decided to go, right up there with GOT.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So no Firefly Edition for the UK.
Boris's War on Woke offended Druckmann or something?
DragoonKain DragoonKain
I preordered Firefly Edition. I’m looking forward to playing it again, but not right away, it was a great game. I honestly want to forget TLOU2 ever happened. Most annoyed I’ve been at where a story in a piece of media decided to go, right up there with GOT.
I'm with you on this, TLOU is a masterpiece but I'm afraid Druckmann is gonna change shit.
Which will ruin the original to fit TLOU2's narrative.
I'm put my faith on you guys to let me know before I buy.

Last edited:

Matsuchezz

Ellie's model wasn't the cutest most appealing ever kid in the remaster, but she did look like an innocent little kid. In all the screen shots of the remake it seems like they made her look older, far less appealing and unattractive. I don't like these changes at all.
There is something in her eyes that is different but previously she looked like a mannequin or a cute doll now she looks more life like. It is just a second. She will probably get more different gestures in this remake. I loved the Ellie model in part 2 when she was a kid. And there are some great face animations in there. Like when they are in the natural history museum. And when Joel plays the guitar the pearl jam song. Those were fucking awesome!

Last edited:
Top Bottom